Table of Contents
- What is Looz?
- Uses of Looz
- How does Looz work?
- How to take Looz?
- Looz Common Dosage
- When to Avoid Looz?
- Precautions and warnings While Taking Looz:
- Side-Effects of Looz:
- Drug Interactions to be Careful About
- Buyer’s Guide – Looz Composition, Variant and Price
- Substitutes of Looz
- FAQs – 10 Important Questions Answered about Looz
- Authored By –
1What is Looz?
It is mainly used due to its laxative property as a stool softener in cases of constipation. Diarrhea and gastric discomfort at high doses are the major side effects. It should be totally avoided in case of intestinal blockage and in cases of dehydration.
Looz Composition: Lactulose 10gm/15ml.
Manufactured By: Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd.
Prescription: Not required (as it is available as OTC)
Form: Syrup and Powder.
Price: Rs. 540.75 for 1 pack (500ml)
Expiry/Shelf Life: 36 months (when stored at cool place)
Type of Drug: Laxative and Purgative.
2Uses of Looz
Looz serves as a stool softener in various conditions like:
- Constipation: Used in cases of chronic or idiopathic constipation to help easy stool passage.
- Haemorrhoids: Used in cases of haemorrhoids to soften the stools.
- Bacterial growth: Used to reduce the bacterial growth in small intestine.
- High ammonia levels: Used to control high ammonia levels in blood.
Also Read: Glycopyrrolate Uses | Grenil Uses | Gudcef Uses
3How does Looz work?
- Looz contains Lactulose (synthetic sugar) as its main active ingredient.
- Lactulose breaks down into mild acids in the colon and works by absorbing water from the body and releasing the water in colon.
- Water in the colon helps to lubricate the stools and helps in easy stool passage.
- Looz also absorbs the ammonia present in the blood and therefore, it helps to reduce the high amount of ammonia in blood.
4How to take Looz?
- Looz is usually available in Syrup form and in the form of sprinkling powder.
- Looz Syrup is administered orally (Via mouth) with a glass of water or fresh juice or milk or as instructed by the doctor. It should be consumed at fixed time interval.
- The bottle should be shaken up well before consuming the drug and a measuring cup or spoon should be used for proper dose dispensing. The bottle also comes with a dispensing cap.
- Looz should be accompanied by plenty of fluids for easy stool passage and also prevents dehydration.
- It is advisable to properly read the leaflet inside the package thoroughly to have a better understanding of the drug.
5Looz Common Dosage
- The dosage of the drug is to be decided by the doctor for every individual as per the age, weight, mental status, allergic history and health status of the patient.
- The common dose of Looz for adults is 15ml once a day in cases of constipation.
- Dosage for cases of liver diseases like hepatic encephalopathy is 3-4 times a day.
- For children, Looz kids syrup is available.
- It is advisable to consult a paediatrician before administering Looz in children.
Q. What happens if I overdose on Looz?
Overdose of Looz can increase the chances of side effects like nausea, abdominal pain, diarrhoea and vomiting. The doctor should be consulted immediately in case of Looz.
Q. What happens if I miss a dose of Looz?
Looz may not exhibit the desired effects as a certain amount of drug should always be present in the systemic circulation of the body to exhibit beneficial effects. The missed dose of Looz should be consumed as soon as you remember it. But, it is not advisable to consume the missed dose if it’s already time to take the second dose as it may lead to drug toxicity or drug overdose.
Q. What happens if I eat expired Looz?
A single dose of expired Looz is very unlikely to cause an adverse event as it might have lost its efficacy and potency. However, one should abstain from consuming expired drug and the doctor should be immediately consulted if one feels any undesirable symptoms after consuming the expired drug.
Q. Onset time of Looz?
Looz reaches its effect or shows the result within 8-12 hours after oral administration.
Q. Till when does the effect of Looz stay?
In cases of chronic constipation, it may take 48 hours for the drug to show its effect.
Also Read: Hyocimax Dosage | Isolazine Dosage | Ivabrad Dosage
6When to Avoid Looz?
Do not Consume Looz:
- Allergy: In known cases of allergy to Looz or any of its ingredients.
- Blockage: In known cases of intestinal blockage Looz should be avoided as it can worsen the condition.
- Diarrhoea: In cases of Diarrhoea, Looz should be avoided as it acts as a laxative and may worsen the condition further.
- Diabetes: In cases of diabetes, as contains Lactulose (synthetic sugar) as its main ingredient.
7Precautions and warnings While Taking Looz:
- Lactating mothers: It is not advisable to administer Looz in lactating mothers.
- Avoid Over dosage: Drug overdose should be avoided.
- Time Interval: A gap of 6-8 hours should be maintained between the two doses to avoid increased levels of drug in the blood.
- Water intake: Try to consume plenty of fluids to avoid chances of dehydration.
8Side-Effects of Looz:
The side effects associated with Looz used for different treatments are:
- Diarrhoea (common)
- Vomiting (common)
- Nausea (common)
- Abdominal pain (less common)
- Bloating (common)
- Gastric irritation (less common)
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions to Looz?
Rare allergic reactions reported for Looz are:
- Rashes (rare)
What are the effects of Looz tablets on organs?
- Looz can affect the liver in cases of diabetic patients as it contains Lactulose.
9Drug Interactions to be Careful About
One needs to be careful of certain drug interactions when consuming Looz. These may span from certain food items to other medicines to some tests which should not be taken right after consuming Looz. We explore these n details below.
1. Food Interactions with Looz
dairy products, tea, coffee and fats should be avoided with Looz syrup.
2. Medicines Interactions with Looz
All the possible drug interactions might not be listed here. It is always advised that the patient must inform the physician about of all the drugs/products you use. You must also inform about the herbal products that you are consuming. You must not modify the drug regimen without your doctor’s approval.
The common drug interactions have been noticed with the following drugs:
- Lasix (severe)
- Zofran (moderate)
- Miralax (severe)
- Senokot (moderate)
- Ketoconazole (moderate)
- Azithromycin (moderate)
- Dexamethasone (moderate)
3. Effects of Looz on Lab Tests
Looz does not affect any laboratory tests
4. Looz’s interactions with Pre-existing Conditions/Diseases
Intestinal Obstruction and Diabetes.
Q. Can I have Looz with alcohol?
No. as it can increase chances of side effects when Looz is taken with alcohol. The doctor should be consulted before consuming alcohol with Looz.
Q. Any particular food item to be avoided?
Q. Can I have Looz when pregnant?
Yes, Looz can be given during pregnancy. The doctor should always be notified if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant.
Q. Can I have Looz when feeding a baby?
No, consuming Looz while feeding a baby can harm the infant. Therefore, it should be avoided as a precautionary measure and the doctor should always be informed in such cases.
Q. Can I drive after taking Looz?
No, Looz can cause drowsiness or dizziness therefore, it is advisable to avoid driving or operating heavy machinery if symptoms like dizziness or drowsiness occur after taking Looz.
10Buyer’s Guide – Looz Composition, Variant and Price
|Loozit 100ml Syrup||Lactulose 10gm/15ml||Rs. 150.00 for 1 pack.|
|Looz fibre 180gm Granules||Lactitol monohydrate 10gm + Ispaghula husk 3.5gm||Rs. 371.00 for 1 pack.|
|Looz Peg 200ml Oral Solution||Polyethylene glycol 13.125gm + potassium chloride 46.6mg + Sodium bicarbonate 178.5mg + Sodium chloride 35.7mg/5ml.||Rs. 299.00 for 1 pack.|
|Looz Sprinkles 80gm Powder||Lactulose 10mg||Rs. 201.00 for 1 pack.|
|Looz Enema 275ml liquid||Lactulose 20%w/v||Rs. 304.00 for 1 pack|
Buy & Get Minimum 30% Discount: Medlife Offer | 1Mg.Com Offers
11Substitutes of Looz
The following are alternative drugs for Looz:
- Lactomed 100ml Suspension:
- Manufactured by Leeford Healthcare Ltd.
- Price- Rs. 106.4
- Lactolook 100ml Suspension:
- Manufactured by Knoll Healthcare Pvt Ltd.
- Price- Rs. 108.15
- Laxiwal 200ml Solution:
- Manufactured by Wallace Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd.
- Price- Rs. 209.85
- Livoluk Kid 60ml Syrup:
- Manufactured by Panacea Biotec.
- Price- Rs. 64.8
Storage requirements for Looz:
- Looz Tablet should be stored in a cool, moisture-free place at temperature below 25o C
- Drug should be kept out of children’s reach.
12FAQs – 10 Important Questions Answered about Looz
Q. What is Looz?
Ans. It is mainly used due to its laxative property as a stool softener in cases of constipation. Diarrhea and gastric discomfort at high doses are the major side effects. It should be totally avoided in case of intestinal blockage and in cases of dehydration.
Q. What are the uses of Looz?
Ans. It is used as a stool softener, in cases of constipation
Q. What are the side effects of Looz?
Ans. The most common side effects of Looz are Diarrhoea, Vomiting, Nausea, Abdominal pain, Bloating, Gastric irritation
Q. How long does it take for Looz to show results?
Ans. Looz shows its affect within 8-12 hours of administration of drug.
Q. Should Looz be taken on an empty stomach?
Ans. Looz should preferably be taken with or after food with plenty of fluids to aid easy stool passage.
Q. Does Looz make you drowsy?
Ans. Looz might cause drowsiness in few cases but it varies with every individual.
Q . What should be the time gap between the consumption of 2 Looz doses?
Ans. Ideal time gap of atleast 6-8 hours should be there between two doses to avoid Looz toxicity or overdose.
Q. Should I complete the whole cycle of the medicine even if cured?
Ans. Looz should be taken for short period of time to treat constipation unless stated otherwise by the doctor. The doctor should be the one to decide when and how to stop the cycle of Looz.
Q. Does Looz effect my menstrual cycle?
Ans. It does not necessarily affect the menstrual cycle but always consult the doctor in case of pre existing menstrual problems before consuming the drug
Q. Is Looz safe for children?
Ans. Looz kids syrup is safe for children but the Paediatrician should always be consulted before administering the drug to children as a precautionary measure.
Q. Are there any symptoms that I should consider before taking Looz?
Ans. In cases of any blockage or diarrhoea, Looz should be avoided as it may worsen the condition
Q. Is Looz legal in India?
Ans. Yes, it is legal in India.
Similar Reads –
Disclaimer – The information provided above is to the best of our research and knowledge. However, you are recommended to consult a physician before consuming the drug.
13Authored By –