Table of Contents
- 1 What is Lopamide?
- 2 Uses of Lopamide?
- 3 Lopamide Composition
- 4 How does Lopamide work?
- 5 How to take Lopamide?
- 6 Lopamide Price in India
- 7 Common dosage?
- 8 When to avoid Lopamide and precautions to take?
- 9 Side effects
- 10 Reported allergic reactions-
- 11 Effect on organs-
- 12 Drug interactions to be careful about-
- 13 Show effects/Results in-
- 14 Storage requirements for Lopamide-
- 15 Pro tips-
- 16 Frequently asked questions
- 17 Is it addictive?
- 18 Can I have Lopamide with alcohol?
- 19 Any particular food item to be avoided?
- 20 Can I have Lopamide when pregnant?
- 21 Can I have Lopamide when feeding a baby?
- 22 Can I drive after taking Lopamide?
- 23 What happen if I overdose on Lopamide?
- 24 What happen if I eat expired Lopamide tablet?
- 25 What happen if I miss a dose of Lopamide?
- 26 Similar Reads
What is Lopamide?
- Lopamide is an effective anti-diarrhoea medication.
- It reduces bowel movements and makes stool less watery.
- This medicine is composed of the following active ingredient-
- Loperamide (2mg)
Save using: Netmeds Promo Code | Medlife Promo Code
Uses of Lopamide?
Lopamide is used for the treatment, control, prevention, & improvement of the following diseases, conditions and symptoms:
- Sudden diarrhoea
- Short bowel disease
- Inflammatory bowel disease
- Mild traveller’s diarrhoea
- Non infective diarrhoea
Know more: Hydroxyethyl Starch Uses | Motilium Uses
Read more: Decolgen Composition
How does Lopamide work?
- It is an anti-diarrhoea medication.
- It works by reducing the contraction of the intestines that reduces the frequency of and makes it more solid.
How to take Lopamide?
- Lopamide is available in the form of tablets and suspensions.
- Take this medicine in the dose and duration as advised by your doctor.
- Swallow the tablet as a whole. Do not chew, crush or break it.
- Measure the suspension liquid with a measuring cup and take it by mouth. Shake well before use.
- Lopamide tablets and suspensions may be taken with or without food.
- Drink plenty of fluids.
- For ideal results, it should always be taken at a fixed time and at evenly spaced intervals to maintain certain amount of drug in the body all the time.
Lopamide Price in India
|Specification||Lopamide Price in India|
|Lopamide Tablet||Rs. 19.93|
- The drug dosage is decided by the physician based upon:
- Health status/medical condition of the patient
- Severity of symptoms
- Reaction to the first dose
- History of allergy/drug reactions
- You should never take more than 8 tablets (16 mg) over a 24-hour period
- Consult your doctor before administering in children below 12 years of age.
- Never use more than the recommended dose or for longer periods of time without doctor’s consent.
- In case of non improvement of symptoms or symptoms getting worse, seek medical attention immediately.
When to avoid Lopamide and precautions to take?
- Do not use this drug if there is blood in stools.
- Lopamide tablet should be used with great caution in patients suffering from liver disease. Consult your doctor as dose adjustment is needed.
- Lopamide is not recommended in patients having any of these conditions-
- Acute infective diarrhoea
- Allergic reactions
- Abdominal pain
- Acute colitis
- Antibiotic induced diarrhoea
Read more: Jointace Dn Precaution
All medicines have some side effects. Side effects are possible but do not always occur. Consult your doctor if you feel that you have any of them-
- Abdominal pain
- Abdominal distension
- Loss of consciousness
- Loss of appetite
- Paralytic ileus
- Allergic skin reaction
- Dry mouth
Know more: Klacid Side Effects
Reported allergic reactions-
An allergic reaction accompanied by a skin rash can sometimes occur. If a skin rash occurs, stop taking Lopamide and call your doctor.
Effect on organs-
Lopamide tablet should be used with caution in patients with liver disease.
Dose adjustment is needed. Consult your doctor.
Drug interactions to be careful about-
- Always inform your doctor about all the drugs, vitamins or herbal supplements you are taking to manage or protect you from drug interactions.
- All the possible drug interactions might not be listed here. Few common drugs which interact with Lopamide include:
Show effects/Results in-
- It depends on the dosage and age of the patient and severity of the problem.
- Normally it shows its action in 1 to 3 hours.
Storage requirements for Lopamide-
- Store medicine at room temperature, away from heat and direct light.
- Do not freeze medicines unless required by package insert.
- Keep medicines away from children and pets.
Lopamide may not provide cure of the problem but only provide temporary relief from certain symptoms.
Frequently asked questions
Is it addictive?
No addiction reported with Lopamide.
Can I have Lopamide with alcohol?
- If you are taking Lopamide, avoid excess intake of alcohol as it can affect your liver and may worsen the problem.
- Avoid consumption of alcohol or Consult your doctor for the amount of alcohol that you can have.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
No interaction with any food product observed. For further information you can consult your doctor.
Can I have Lopamide when pregnant?
Not recommended for pregnant woman as it can cross the placental barrier. Consult your doctor before taking this medicine.
Can I have Lopamide when feeding a baby?
Lopamide is not recommended for the lactating woman as it can affect the production and quality of breast milk and also can affect foetus.
Can I drive after taking Lopamide?
- Do not drive or operate heavy machinery.
- Lopamide Tablet may causes side effects like dizziness, lightheaded in few patients.
What happen if I overdose on Lopamide?
- Taking more than prescribed dosage can be harmful and can increase the incidence of side effects
- In case of over-dosage, consult your doctor immediately.
- Symptoms overdose can include are-
- Severe stomach cramps
What happen if I eat expired Lopamide tablet?
- It is very unlikely for a single dose of expired Lopamide to produce an adverse effect. So please consult your physician if you feel unwell or sick after consuming an expired medicine.
- An expired drug might not be as potent in treating your condition. It is advisable to refrain from using expired drug.
What happen if I miss a dose of Lopamide?
- The medicine may not work well if you miss a dose because for effective working of the drug, a certain amount of drug must be present in your body at all times.
- Always consume the missed dose as soon as you remember it. But, if it is already time to take the second dose after that – do not take double dose.