Table of Contents
- What is Loperamide?
- What are the uses of Loperamide?
- How does Loperamide work?
- Loperamide Price in India
- How to take Loperamide?
- Common dosage?
- When to avoid?
- Side effects of Loperamide
- Reported allergic reactions
- Effect on organs
- Drug interactions to be careful about-
- Show effects/Results in-
- Is it addictive?
- Can I have Loperamide with alcohol?
- Any particular food item to be avoided?
- Can I have Loperamide when pregnant?
- Can I have Loperamide when feeding a baby?
- Can I drive after taking Loperamide?
- What happen if I overdose on Loperamide?
- What happen if I eat expired Loperamide tablet?
- What happen if I miss a dose of Loperamide?
- Storage requirements for Loperamide
- Pro tips
What is Loperamide?
- Loperamide is an effective anti-diarrhoea medication.
- It reduces bowel movements and makes stool less watery.
What are the uses of Loperamide?
Loperamide is used for the treatment, control, prevention, & improvement of the following diseases, conditions and symptoms:
- Sudden diarrhoea
- Short bowel disease
- Inflammatory bowel disease
- Mild traveller’s diarrhoea
- Non infective diarrhoea
Also Read: Gentamicin Uses
How does Loperamide work?
- It is an anti-diarrhoea medication.
- It works by reducing the contraction of the intestines that reduces the frequency of and makes it more solid.
Loperamide Price in India
|2 mg Strip of 10 Tablets||Rs 19.29|
Also Read: Sucrafil Price | Suhagra 100 Price | Tramadol Price
How to take Loperamide?
- Loperamide is available in the form of tablets and suspensions.
- Take this medicine in the dose and duration as advised by your doctor.
- Swallow the tablet as a whole. Do not chew, crush or break it.
- Measure the suspension liquid with a measuring cup and take it by mouth. Shake well before use.
- Loperamide tablets and suspensions may be taken with or without food.
- If you are consuming Loperamide chewable tablet, you must chew it thoroughly before food.
- Drink plenty of fluids.
- For ideal results, it should always be taken at a fixed time and at evenly spaced intervals to maintain certain amount of drug in the body all the time.
- The drug dosage is decided by the physician based upon:
- Health status/medical condition of the patient
- Severity of symptoms
- Reaction to the first dose
- History of allergy/drug reactions
- You should never take more than 8 tablets (16 mg) over a 24-hour period.
- Consult your doctor before administering in children below 12 years of age.
- Never use more than the recommended dose or for longer periods of time without doctor’s consent.
- In case of non improvement of symptoms or symptoms getting worse, seek medical attention immediately.
When to avoid?
- Do not use this drug if there is blood in stools.
- Loperamide should be used with great caution in patients suffering from liver disease. Consult your doctor as dose adjustment is needed.
- Loperamide is not recommended in patients having any of these conditions-
- Acute infective diarrhoea
- Allergic reactions
- Abdominal pain
- Acute colitis
- Antibiotic induced diarrhoea
Side effects of Loperamide
All medicines have some side effects. Side effects are possible but do not always occur. Consult your doctor if you feel that you have any of them-
- Abdominal pain
- Abdominal distension
- Loss of consciousness
- Loss of appetite
- Paralytic ileus
- Allergic skin reaction
- Dry mouth
Reported allergic reactions
An allergic reaction accompanied by a skin rash can sometimes occur. If a skin rash occurs, stop taking Loperamide and call your doctor.
Effect on organs
Loperamide tablet should be used with caution in patients with liver disease.
Dose adjustment is needed. Consult your doctor.
Drug interactions to be careful about-
- Always inform your doctor about all the drugs, vitamins or herbal supplements you are taking to manage or protect you from drug interactions.
- All the possible drug interactions might not be listed here. Few common drugs which interact with Loperamide include:
Show effects/Results in-
- It depends on the dosage and age of the patient and severity of the problem.
- Normally it shows its action in 1 to 3 hours.
Is it addictive?
No addiction reported with Loperamide.
Can I have Loperamide with alcohol?
- If you are taking Loperamide, avoid excess intake of alcohol as it can affect your liver and may worsen the problem.
- Avoid consumption of alcohol or Consult your doctor for the amount of alcohol that you can have.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
No interaction with any food product observed. For further information you can consult your doctor.
Can I have Loperamide when pregnant?
Not recommended for pregnant woman as it can cross the placental barrier. Consult your doctor before taking this medicine.
Can I have Loperamide when feeding a baby?
Loperamide is not recommended for the lactating woman as it can affect the production and quality of breast milk and also can affect foetus.
Can I drive after taking Loperamide?
- Do not drive or operate heavy machinery.
- Loperamide Tablet may causes side effects like dizziness, lightheaded in few patients.
What happen if I overdose on Loperamide?
- Taking more than prescribed dosage can be harmful and can increase the incidence of side effects
- In case of over-dosage, consult your doctor immediately.
- Symptoms overdose can include are-
- Severe stomach cramps
What happen if I eat expired Loperamide tablet?
- It is very unlikely for a single dose of expired Loperamide to produce an adverse effect. So please consult your physician if you feel unwell or sick after consuming an expired medicine.
- An expired drug might not be as potent in treating your condition. It is advisable to refrain from using expired drug.
What happen if I miss a dose of Loperamide?
- The medicine may not work well if you miss a dose because for effective working of the drug, a certain amount of drug must be present in your body at all times.
- Always consume the missed dose as soon as you remember it. But, if it is already time to take the second dose after that – do not take double dose.
Storage requirements for Loperamide
- Store medicine at room temperature, away from heat and direct light.
- Do not freeze medicines unless required by package insert.
- Keep medicines away from children and pets.
Loperamide may not provide cure of the problem but only provide temporary relief from certain symptoms