Table of Contents
- What is Loratadine?
- Uses of Loratadine
- How Does Loratadine Work?
- How to Take Loratadine?
- Loratadine Price in India
- Common Dosage for Loratadine
- Precautions – When to Avoid Loratadine?
- Side-Effects of Loratadine
- Effects of Loratadine on Organs
- Drug Interactions to be Careful About
- Effects/Results after Consuming Loratadine
- Storage Requirements about Loratadine
- Pro Tips When Taking Loratadine
- FAQs – Things to Know About Loratadine
- Is Loratadine addictive?
- Can I have Loratadine with alcohol?
- Any particular food item to be avoided?
- Can I have Loratadine when pregnant?
- Can I have Loratadine when feeding a baby?
- Can I drive after taking Loratadine?
- What happens if I overdose on Loratadine?
- What happens if I eat expired Loratadine?
- What happens if I miss a dose of Loratadine?
- When Was Loratadine Made?
What is Loratadine?
Loratadine is sold under the brand name Claritin. It belongs to the class antihistamines.
Manufactured By – Merck & Co.’s
Buy & Get Minimum 20% Discount: Pharmeasy Coupon | Practo Coupon Code
Uses of Loratadine
- Loratadine is used to treat urticarial and chronic idiopathic urticarial.
- It is used to treat a running nose and sneezing.
- Loratadine is also effective for burning or itching eyes.
- It is used as a combination with pseudoephedrine to be taken by mouth.
- Loratadine is used as a common medication for allergic reactions such as allergic rhinitis (hay fever).
Also Read: Hydroxyzine Uses | Imodium Uses | Insulin Uses
How Does Loratadine Work?
Loratadine triggers blocking of the entry of histamine. This blockage leads to the prevention of allergies.
How to Take Loratadine?
- Xanax should be taken by mouth with or without water.
- Swallow extend release tablet wholly without crushing, chewing or breaking it as it would cause some serious side effects.
- The liquid form should be measured accurately before taking it.
Loratadine Price in India
|Loratadine (A strip)||Rs 47.95|
Other medicine's Price: Meloxicam Price | Metformin Price
Common Dosage for Loratadine
- The dosage is different for different conditions. So it is safe to consult the doctor before taking the dosage.
- For Rhinitis and urticarial in adults, it is usually 10mg per day.
- The same condition in pediatric, the dosage is usually 5 mg per day which may be increased up to 10 mg per day according to the age and weight of the person.
Precautions – When to Avoid Loratadine?
While taking Loratadine you should follow the following steps:
- Don’t delay or miss any scheduled meals or snacks
- Don’t take Loratadine along with other certain medications.
- Avoid consuming alcohol for initial days while taking Loratadine.
Side-Effects of Loratadine
Some common side effects of Loratadine are:
- Dry mouth
- Sore throat
- Blurred vision
- Rashes in skin
- Stomach pain
Also Read: Lisinopril Side Effect | Lomotil Side Effect
Effects of Loratadine on Organs
Patients who have liver problems will have more damaging effects on the liver while consuming Loratadine. Sometimes, it may cause Urinary tract infections too.
Drug Interactions to be Careful About
Drugs which cause serious effects while interacting with Loratadine are:
- trazodone, etc.,
- The drugs which can take under certain circumstances and shows a moderate effect are an oxycodone,
- Neurontin, etc.,
Effects/Results after Consuming Loratadine
Loratadine will show its effect within 1 to 2 hours and the effect will last for up to 24 hours.
Storage Requirements about Loratadine
Loratadine can be stored in a closed container at room temperature away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
Pro Tips When Taking Loratadine
- Loratadine should be taken in the prescribed dosage and one must only increase the dosage if the physician prescribed it.
- Do not abruptly stop taking Loratadine as it may cause negative effects on the body.
- Avoid alcohol and certain recommended foods while taking this drug.
FAQs – Things to Know About Loratadine
Is Loratadine addictive?
No. But Loratadine can cause adverse effects when it is abruptly stopped.
Can I have Loratadine with alcohol?
No. Having Loratadine with alcohol will cause liver damage and depression.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
Avoid food items which are recommended by your doctor.
Can I have Loratadine when pregnant?
No. Loratadine is not recommended during pregnancy as it causes harmful effects in the baby. Although you can take advice from your doctor.
Can I have Loratadine when feeding a baby?
Taking Loratadine while breastfeeding can cause adverse effects on the baby.
Can I drive after taking Loratadine?
You should avoid driving if you feel drowsy.
What happens if I overdose on Loratadine?
It would cause irregular heartbeat, chest pain, etc.
What happens if I eat expired Loratadine?
It will not be effective but take advice from your doctor immediately.
What happens if I miss a dose of Loratadine?
If you miss a dose of Loratadine take it as soon as you remember it within the next 12 hours. If you don’t, then just go back to your regular dosage.
When Was Loratadine Made?
Loratadine was made in the year 1981.
Read about other medicine: Mirtazapine