Table of Contents
- What is Losartan?
- Uses of Losartan
- How does Losartan work?
- How to take Losartan?
- Common Dosage of Losartan
- When to avoid Losartan?
- Losartan Price In India
- Precautions when taking Losartan
- Side Effects of Losartan?
- Effects on organs?
- Storage Requirements for Losartan Oral?
- Pro Tips when taking Losartan Oral?
- Is Losartan addictive?
- Can I have Losartan Oral with alcohol?
- Any particular food item to be avoided?
- Can I have Losartan Oral when pregnant?
- Can I have Losartan while feeding a baby?
- Can I drive after taking Losartan?
- What happens if I overdose on Losartan Oral?
- What happens if I eat expired Losartan?
- What happens if I miss a dose of Losartan Oral?
What is Losartan?
Losartan is an Angiotensin-II receptor blocker (ARBs). ARBs also are commonly used in the treatment of hypertension.
Manufactured By – Avinash Health Products Pvt Ltd
Other variants and compositions
|Zosartan 50Mg Tablet||Losartan 50 MG|
|Losartas Ht Tablet||Hydrochlorothiazide 12.5 MG+Losartan 50 MG|
|Losartar 25Mg Tablet||Losartan 25 MG|
|Losartar H Tablet||Hydrochlorothiazide 12.5 MG+Losartan 50 MG|
Buy & Get Minimum 20% Discount: 1Mg Promo Code | Medlife Order Online
Uses of Losartan
Losartan Oral is used to treat:
- stroke prophylaxis
- Chronic kidney disease (eg, diabetic nephropathy) with intolerance to ACE inhibitors (eg, cough, angioedema).
Also Read: Humira Uses
How does Losartan work?
- Losartan directly antagonizes the angiotensin II receptor, and thereby blunt its vasoconstrictive effects.
- Unlike ACE inhibitors, they do not affect bradykinin metabolism.
How to take Losartan?
- Losartan Oral comes only as a tablet you take by mouth.
- Take Losartan by mouth as directed by your doctor, usually once daily with or without food.
- If you are using the liquid form of Losartan, shake the bottle well before each dose. Carefully measure the dose using a special measuring device/spoon.
Common Dosage of Losartan
- Losartan should be administered orally once or twice daily.
- Daily dose may vary from 25-100 mg.
Also Read: Klonopin Dosage
When to avoid Losartan?
- Heavy NSAID use increases the risk of adverse renal effects related to the use of ARBs.
- Aliskiren use is contraindicated with ARBs in patients with diabetes and also avoid coadministration with ARBs if GFR.
- ACE inhibitors including benazepril/Lisinopril, birth control pills containing drospirenone may increase the level of potassium in the blood.
- Lithium may interact with Losartan.
- Taking the tuberculosis drug (rifampin) with Losartan can make it less efficient and decrease its effectiveness.
- Do not take diuretics (hydrochlorothiazide, Furosemide, spironolactone) as it can lower the blood pressure making you feel dizzy or faint.
Losartan Price In India
|25 mg Strip of 10 Tablets||Rs 25.70|
|50 mg Strip of 10 Tablets||Rs 49.90|
|Losagem: Strip of 25 Tablets||Rs 24.00|
|Losagem: Strip of 50 Tablets||Rs 45.00|
Precautions when taking Losartan
- Tell your doctor if you are allergic to Losartan, any other medications, or any of the ingredients in Losartan tablets.
- Let your doctor know if you have diabetes or if you are taking medicine like aliskiren.
- Taking Losartan Oral at first may make you dizzy or faint when you wake up, so get out of bed slowly, resting your feet on the floor for few minutes before standing up.
- Let your doctor know of any kidney or liver problem you might have.
Side Effects of Losartan?
Some of the known side effects of Losartan are:
- Urinary tract infection
- Decreased GFR
- Decreased blood pressure
Effects on organs?
- On lungs- Nasal congestion, upper respiratory infection, sinusitis, pharyngitis, cough, sinus disorder.
- On stomach and intestine- Abdominal pain, nausea, diarrhea, dyspepsia.
- On muscles and bones- Muscle cramp, back pain, leg pain, and myalgia.
- On kidney- Renal impairment, renal failure, serum creatinine increased.
- On nerves- Dizziness, headache, vertigo.
- On heart- Orthostatic hypotension.
Storage Requirements for Losartan Oral?
- Keep Losartan in a dry, airtight container.
- Keep it away from direct heat or moisture.
- Keep Losartan out of reach of the children.
Pro Tips when taking Losartan Oral?
- Losartan is reported to be safe and highly effective in the treatment of portal hypertension in patients with cirrhosis and portal hypertension without compromising renal function.
- Ensure you are adequately hydrated before starting this medicine.
- Losartan tablets may be made into a suspension for people who have difficulty swallowing.
- Losartan suspension can be refrigerated for up to 4 weeks.
Is Losartan addictive?
Losartan can be addictive if taken for a long time.
Can I have Losartan Oral with alcohol?
Taking alcohol while taking Losartan can cause a sedative effect and can also increase the blood pressure lowering effects of losartan.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
Do not have grape juice and salt substitutes containing potassium without consulting your doctor.
Can I have Losartan Oral when pregnant?
ARBs are contraindicated throughout pregnancy because of detrimental effects on fetal renal function (e.g., oligohydramnios and Potter syndrome) and possible teratogenicity.
Can I have Losartan while feeding a baby?
Talk to your doctor before taking Losartan Oral while breastfeeding.
Can I drive after taking Losartan?
Losartan may make you dizzy which increase the risk of accidents while driving.
What happens if I overdose on Losartan Oral?
Overdosing may cause severe dizziness, fainting.
What happens if I eat expired Losartan?
It is advised to not to take expired medicines.
What happens if I miss a dose of Losartan Oral?
Take the next dose at the scheduled time. Never take more than the dose for a missed one.
Other medicine's to read: Lithium