Table of Contents
- 1 What is Lovenox?
- 2 Uses of Lovenox
- 3 How does Lovenox work?
- 4 How to Take Lovenox?
- 5 Lovenox Price In India
- 6 Common Dosage for Lovenox?
- 7 When to avoid Lovenox (Enoxaparin Sodium)?
- 8 Side-effects of Lovenox (Enoxaparin Sodium)?
- 9 Effect on organs?
- 10 Reported Allergic Reactions?
- 11 Drug Interactions to Be Careful About?
- 12 FAQs
- 13 Is Lovenox (Enoxaparin Sodium) addictive?
- 14 Can I have Lovenox with alcohol?
- 15 Any particular food item to be avoided?
- 16 Can I have Lovenox (Enoxaparin Sodium) when pregnant?
- 17 Can I have Lovenox (Enoxaparin Sodium) when feeding a baby?
- 18 Can I drive after taking Lovenox?
- 19 What happens if I overdose on Lovenox (Enoxaparin Sodium)?
- 20 What happens if I take expired Lovenox?
- 21 What happens if I miss a dose of Lovenox (Enoxaparin Sodium)?
- 22 Storage of Lovenox
- 23 Pro Tips When Taking Lovenox
What is Lovenox?
- Lovenox contains enoxaparin sodium as the chief ingredient.
- Lovenox is a blood thinner used to prevent or treat blood clots.
Buy & Get Minimum 20% Discount: Netmeds Medicines
Uses of Lovenox
Lovenox (Enoxaparin Sodium) is a low molecular weight heparin used in:
- Prevention and treatment of deep vein thrombosis in abdominal surgery, hip replacement surgery, knee replacement surgery, or medical patients with severely restricted mobility during acute illness
- Prophylaxis of complications of chest pain and heart attack.
Also Read: Reglan Uses | Risperdal Uses
How does Lovenox work?
Lovenox (Enoxaparin Sodium) works by inactivating a protein (thrombin) which is involved in blood clotting. This puts a stop to the growth of new blood clots and also stops the existing clots from increasing in size and thereby stops obstruction in the blood vessels.
How to Take Lovenox?
- Lovenox is available in the form of injection for subcutaneous and intravenous use – injected under the skin or veins.
- You must take Lovenox at around the same time every day.
Lovenox Price In India
|120 mg /0.5 ml||Rs 60|
Common Dosage for Lovenox?
The dosage and duration of treatment with Lovenox (Enoxaparin Sodium) will be decided by your doctor based on your age, the severity of the condition, physical health, and response to therapy.
When to avoid Lovenox (Enoxaparin Sodium)?
Lovenox should be avoided or used with caution in:
- If you suffer from an allergy to any of its components
- in conditions with increased risk of hemorrhage (eg. epidural or spinal anesthesia/analgesia or spinal puncture)
- patients suffering from bleeding disorders, uncontrolled high blood pressure or a history of ulcers in the stomach, diabetic retinopathy, kidney dysfunction, or hemorrhage.
- in patients with active major bleeding
- If you suffer from hypersensitivity to heparin or pork products
- If you suffer from hypersensitivity to benzyl alcohol
- Pregnant women
- Patients with mechanical prosthetic heart valves
Side-effects of Lovenox (Enoxaparin Sodium)?
In addition to its intended uses, Lovenox may cause few undesirable side effects which may include:
- Shallow breathing
- decreased platelet count
- ecchymosis (blood leaks from a broken capillary into surrounding tissue under the skin)
- difficulty breathing,
- confusion, and
- Injection site pain.
Also Read: Keppra Side Effect
Effect on organs?
Lovenox (Enoxaparin Sodium) should be used with caution in patients suffering from kidney and liver disease.
Reported Allergic Reactions?
Allergic reactions with Lovenox have been reported. Inform your doctor if you are allergic to any of its ingredients. Signs of allergic reaction include:
- Rashes/itching of the skin
- Shortness of breath
- Swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat
- Loss of consciousness
Drug Interactions to Be Careful About?
- Drug interactions refer to the effect of drugs on each other and on the human body after ingestion. There are large numbers of medicines which have shown to interact with each other.
- Always inform your doctor if you are taking medicines to thin the blood.
- It is always advisable that the patient must inform the doctor about all the drugs/over the counter products/vitamin supplements used while using Lovenox (Enoxaparin Sodium), especially –
- NSAIDs like ibuprofen or aspirin may increase your risk of bleeding
Is Lovenox (Enoxaparin Sodium) addictive?
No. Habit forming tendency has not been reported with Lovenox.
Can I have Lovenox with alcohol?
Consumption of alcohol is not recommended when on Lovenox (Enoxaparin Sodium) therapy.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
No alteration in its action seen with any food product.
Can I have Lovenox (Enoxaparin Sodium) when pregnant?
- Lovenox is not recommended during pregnancy.
- Consult your doctor in case if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant for case-specific recommendations.
- Pregnancy poses a greater risk for bleeding events that is even higher for women with thromboembolic disease.
- Pregnant women with mechanical prosthetic heart valves may be at greater risk for thromboembolic disease.
Can I have Lovenox (Enoxaparin Sodium) when feeding a baby?
- Lovenox is not recommended for use while you are breastfeeding as the drug may pass into breast milk and may harm the foetus.
- Consult your doctor for case-specific recommendations.
Can I drive after taking Lovenox?
Lovenox (Enoxaparin Sodium) may cause difficulty in breathing and bleeding as side effects. Make sure you are not affected before you drive.
What happens if I overdose on Lovenox (Enoxaparin Sodium)?
Lovenox should never be administered in more than prescribed dose.
What happens if I take expired Lovenox?
- A single dose of expired Lovenox (Enoxaparin Sodium) may not cause any major adverse effect. However, the potency of the medicine may well have decreased over time.
- Please inform your physician regarding the same if expired medicines have been taken chronically for a longer duration.
What happens if I miss a dose of Lovenox (Enoxaparin Sodium)?
- The medicine may not work well if you miss a dose because a certain amount of drug must be present in your body at all times for its effective working.
- Kindly consult your physician.
Storage of Lovenox
Store at a cool and dry place away from direct heat and moisture.
Do not freeze the medicine.
Keep medicines away from children and pets.
Pro Tips When Taking Lovenox
Lovenox (Enoxaparin Sodium) may increase bleeding risk in the patient. You must be careful while shaving, cutting nails, or using sharp objects.
Also Read: Methocarbamol | Neurontin