Magnesium Composition – Magnesium Sulphate (25% w/v)
Manufactured By – Hindustan Antibiotics Ltd
Prescription – Prescription Required
Form – Injection
Price – Rs 9.99
Quantity – 2 ml in 1 vial
What is Magnesium Sulphate?
Magnesium Sulphate is a micronutrient which is essential for your body.
Other variants and composition –
|Magnesium Sulphate 2Ml Injection||Magnesium sulphate 1 MG /2 ML|
|Magnesium Sulphate Paste 100Gm||Surgicals|
|Magnesium Sulphate 50% 2Ml Injection||Magnesium sulphate 50 %W/V /ML|
Buy & Get Minimum 20% Discount: Pharmeasy Discount Code | Netmeds Offer
What does Magnesium Sulphate contain?
Magnesium Sulphate contains a salt which is a combination of magnesium and sulphate.
Uses of Magnesium Sulphate
Magnesium Sulphate is used for the treatment of:
- Magnesium deficiency
- Uterine rigidness (uterine tetany)
- Contractions during labor
Also Read: Permethrin Uses | Pheniramine Maleate Uses | Phenobarbital Uses
How Does Magnesium Sulphate Work?
Magnesium Sulphate acts by replacing the level of magnesium in the body. It is known to decrease nerve signals to heart muscles. It is also known to retain water in the colon thereby increasing mobility and bowel emptying.
How to Take Magnesium Sulphate?
The injection form of Magnesium Sulphate is generally given to you by a doctor or nurse directly into your veins or muscles. If you are prescribed with oral form then swallow this medicine as a whole with a glass of water. Remember not to crush, chew or break Magnesium Sulphate while consuming it.
Magnesium Sulphate Price In India
|Specifics||Magnesium Sulphate Price|
|0.25% Vial of 2ml Injection||Rs 7.65|
|50% vial of 2ml Injection||Rs 11.45|
Common Dosage for Magnesium Sulphate?
Magnesium Sulphate is generally prescribed once or twice daily. Your doctor may increase or decrease the strength and frequency of your dosage depending upon your condition.
When to Avoid Magnesium Sulphate?
Avoid Magnesium Sulphate if:
- You have a breathing problem
- You have a heart problem
- You have a bleeding problem
- You are about to undergo a surgery
- You are on blood pressure lowering medications
- You are allergic to any component of Magnesium Sulphate
Side-Effects of Magnesium Sulphate
Some of the reported side effects of Magnesium Sulphate are:
- Stomach upset
Also Read: Prochlorperazine Side Effect | Propofol Side Effect
Effects of Magnesium Sulphate on Organs?
Magnesium Sulphate is not suitable for patients with kidney or liver impairment. It may cause damage to these organs and your doctor may adjust your dose.
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions?
Some of the allergic reactions associated with Magnesium Sulphate are:
- rashes and itching of skin,
- swelling of any part of face, tongue or throat, and
- shortness of breath.
Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
One needs to be careful of the folloing drug interactions when consuming Magnesium Sulphate:
- Cellulose sodium phosphate,
- Sodium polystyrene sulfonate
- Thyroid medication
Effects/Results After Consuming Magnesium Sulphate
The effects of Magnesium Sulphate can be seen within 1 to 2 hours of oral administration.
Things to Know About Magnesium Sulphate
Is Magnesium Sulphate addictive?
No, Magnesium Sulphate is not addictive in nature.
Can I have Magnesium Sulphate with alcohol?
It is better to avoid alcohol when on Magnesium Sulphate. Consult your doctor about limiting alcohol with this medication.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
Consult your doctor regarding the foods to be avoided when on Magnesium Sulphate.
Can I have Magnesium Sulphate when pregnant?
In most cases, it is not safe to take Magnesium Sulphate if you are pregnant or planning a pregnancy. Consult your doctor if it is absolutely necessary to take this medication.
Can I have Magnesium Sulphate when feeding a baby?
In most cases, it is not safe to take Magnesium Sulphate if you are breastfeeding or planning to breastfeed. Consult your doctor if it is absolutely necessary to take this medication.
Can I drive after taking Magnesium Sulphate?
It is generally safe to drive while on Magnesium Sulphate. However, if you feel any side effects that may decrease your alertness then it is not wise to drive.
What happens if I overdose on Magnesium Sulphate?
Taking more medication than prescribed is not going to heal you faster. In fact overdose with a result in severe side effects.
What happens if I eat expired Magnesium Sulphate?
If by mistake you consume a dose of expired co-trimoxazole, the chances of harm are very less. Always check the label for expiry date before use.
What happens if I miss a dose of Magnesium Sulphate?
As soon as you remember, take the missed dose. However, if it is already time for next dose, carry on with your regular schedule. Do not try to compensate for the missed dose by taking a double dose.
Storage Requirements for Magnesium Sulphate
- Store the oral formulation between 25 to 30 degree Celsius
- Store the injectable in a refrigerator but do not freeze it
- Protect Magnesium Sulphate from direct sunlight and moisture
- Avoid storing oral formulations in bathroom or moisture-prone areas.
Pro Tips When Taking Magnesium Sulphate
- Do not try to self-adjust the dose. Take it in the quantity prescribed by your doctor.
- Do not share your medication with anyone even if they have a similar condition.
- Discuss the pros and cons of Magnesium Sulphate if you are pregnant or planning a pregnancy or if you are breastfeeding.
- Your doctor must know your medical history and allergies if any, before prescribing this medicine.
- Complete the full course of Magnesium Sulphate even if your symptoms have disappeared.
- Oral form of this medication can be used for constipation. For all other indications, the intravenous form is used.
- Maintain at least a gap of 2 hours between antibiotic and Magnesium Sulphate consumption.
Also read about other medicine: Propranolol Hydrochloride