Table of Contents
- What is Meco OD?
- Uses of Meco OD
- How does Meco OD work?
- How to take Meco OD?
- Common Dosage for Meco OD
- When to Avoid Meco OD?
- Precautions While Taking Meco OD
- Side-Effects of Meco OD:
- Drug Interactions With Meco OD to be Careful About
- Buyer’s Guide – Meco OD Composition, Variant and Price
- Substitutes of Meco OD
- FAQs – 10 Important Questions Answered about Meco OD
- Authored By –
1What is Meco OD?
It is a medicine which is used to prevent or treat conditions arising from Vitamin B12 deficiency like Megaloblastic anemia and neuropathies like diabetic neuropathy and peripheral neuropathies. Loss of appetite is one of the most common side effects at high repetitive doses. It should be totally avoided in cases of liver impairment and patients allergic to the drug.
Meco OD Composition: Mecobalamin 1500mcg
Manufactured by: Satven & Mer
Prescription: Not Required (Available as OTC)
Form: Tablets, Capsules and Injections.
Price: Rs 105.00 for 10 Tablets.
Expiry/Shelf Life: 24 months from the date of manufacturing
Type of Drug: Vitamin supplement.
2Uses of Meco OD
Meco OD serves a great purpose in the prevention and treatment of following conditions:
- Pernicious Anemia: Used to treat Pernicious anemia.
- Megaloblastic Anemia: Used to treat Megaloblastic anemia (deficiency of folic acid and Vitamin B12) etc.
- Peripheral Neuropathy: Used to treat numbness and pain due to nerve damage especially of extremities.
- Alcoholic Neuropathy:
- Diabetic Neuropathy: Used to treat diabetic neuropathy.
Read more: Ome Rd Composition | Nimeson Composition
3How does Meco OD work?
- Meco OD contains Mecobalamin as its main active ingredient.
- Mecobalamin is one of the essential nutrients required by the body to perform vital functions in different systems of the body and also helps in maintenance of overall health of the body.
- Mecobalamin helps in production and maturation of red blood cells from the bone marrow.
- Mecobalamin aids in protein synthesis and thereby protects the integrity of nerve cells by encouraging their normal growth and functioning.
- Therefore, Meco OD helps in treating neuropathies and nutritional deficiencies.
Read more: Mupinase Uses
4How to take Meco OD?
- Meco OD is available in the form of tablets, capsules and injections.
- Meco OD tablets can be consumed orally with a glass of water, with or without food as food has limited role in its absorption.
- It is advisable to consume the drug after meals in cases of patients with gastric problems.
- Do not chew or crush the tablets, instead swallow the tablets as a whole.
- Do not alter the dose as per your own convenience.
- It is recommended for a patient to go through the leaflet inside the package thoroughly to have a better understanding of the drug.
Read more: Ocid Dsr Dosage
5Common Dosage for Meco OD
- Meco OD dosage can be decided by the doctor for every individual as per Age, Weight, Mental status, Allergic history and Health status of the patient.
- Adult dose: One tablet of 1500 mcg once daily or same dose can be consumed in three divided doses or as advised by the physician depending on the severity of the condition
- Children: Not advised for children without paediatric consultation. Always consult the pediatrician before administering the drug to pediatric population.
- Drug should be consumed at equal intervals, so that appropriate quantity of drug is present inside the body at all times.
Q. What happens if I overdose on Meco OD?
Meco OD should always be consumed as per the prescribed dose. Overdose can lead to undesirable effects. The doctor or trained medical staff should be immediately consulted in case of overdose.
Q. What happens if I miss a dose of Meco OD?
Meco OD should always be taken as per the fixed time schedule and in case of missed dose, always try to consume it as soon as you remember. But, avoid taking the missed dose if it’s already time to take the second dose as it may lead to drug toxicity or drug overdose.
Q. What happens if I eat expired Meco OD?
Expired Meco OD may not cause any undesirable effect but it is advisable to avoid consuming expired drug as it may not be efficacious enough to provide the needed results and the doctor should be immediately consulted in case of any undesirable symptoms after consuming the expired drug.
Q. What is the onset time of Meco OD?
- The peak effect of Meco OD can be seen within 2-3 hours of oral administration of drug.
- The dose and duration of drug as advised by the doctor, should be followed strictly for complete cessation of all the symptoms
Q. Till when does the effect of Meco OD stay?
The time taken by the drug to show its effect may vary with every individual.
Also check out: Meconerv Forte Price | Venex Price
6When to Avoid Meco OD?
Do not Consume Meco OD if:
- Allergy: In known cases of allergy to Meco OD or any of its ingredients.
- Liver disorders: In known cases of moderate to severe Liver dysfunction or diseases, Meco OD should be avoided or used only when advised by the doctor.
- Chronically ill patients: In cases of chronically ill patients.
- Hypotension: In cases of patients with low blood pressure as Meco OD can further lower the blood pressure.
7Precautions While Taking Meco OD
- Prolonged use: Do not use it for a longer period of time unless advised by the doctor.
- Allergic Reaction: Allergic reaction, if occurs after taking Meco OD should be immediately reported to the doctor or trained medical staff.
- Avoid Dose alteration: Drug alteration should be avoided unless stated by the doctor.
Warnings When Taking Meco OD
- Patients in profession of handling mercury or mercury compound are at increased risk of undesirable effects while using this drug.
- Daily blood monitoring of patients is required in cases of anemic patients.
Read more: Oskar Dsr Side Effects
8Side-Effects of Meco OD:
The side effects associated with Meco OD are:
- Burning sensation (less common)
- Nausea (common)
- Sweating (common)
- Headache (common)
- Diarrhoea (less common)
- Loss of appetite (common)
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions to Meco OD?
Possible allergic reactions reported for Meco OD are:
- Rashes (less common)
- Shortness of breath (common)
- Fall in Blood Pressure (common)
What are the effects of Meco OD on organs?
There have been no reports of any side effect on any particular organ as such but it is advisable to consult the doctor before administering the drug to chronically ill patients or elderly patients.
9Drug Interactions With Meco OD to be Careful About
It is always advisable to be careful of certain drug to drug or drug to food interactions when consuming Meco OD. Always be aware of the food items, other drugs or lab tests while consuming Meco OD. We explore these n details below.
1. Food Interactions with Meco OD
No particular food item to be avoided.
2. Medicines Interactions with Meco OD
All the potential drug interactions might not be listed here. It is always advisable that the patient must inform the physician about of all the drugs/products you use. You must notify the doctor about the herbal products that you are currently consuming. You should never alter the drug regimen without your doctor’s approval.
The common drug interactions have been noticed with the following drugs:
- Colchicine (moderate): Decreases absorption of Meco OD.
- Aminosalicylic acid (mild): Decreases absorption of Meco OD.
- Antibiotics (mild): decreases absorption of the drug.
- Omeprazole (moderate)
- Oral contraceptives (mild)
3. Effects of Meco OD on Lab Tests
Meco OD doesn’t affect any laboratory test results. Do consult with the treating physician before going for any laboratory investigation.
4. Meco OD’s interactions with Pre-existing Conditions/Diseases
Any moderate to severe Liver impairment.
Q. Can I have Meco OD with alcohol?
No, Alcohol consumption is not advisable with Meco OD as it can decrease the absorption of vitamin B12. Always consult the doctor before consuming alcohol with Meco OD.
Q. Any particular food item to be avoided?
Q. Can I have Meco OD when pregnant?
Meco OD should not be administered in pregnant patients unless necessary. Its safety is not known in pregnant women. Always inform the doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant.
Q. Can I have Meco OD when feeding a baby?
Meco OD should be used with caution in case of lactating mothers as the effects of its constituents on quantity and quality of milk production is unknown.
Discuss the risks and benefits with your doctor before consuming the drug.
Q. Can I drive after taking Meco OD?
Yes, Meco OD does not affect the ability to drive but it is advisable to avoid driving or operating heavy machinery in cases of drowsiness or dizziness.
10Buyer’s Guide – Meco OD Composition, Variant and Price
|Mecovon 1000 Injection||Methycobalamin 1000mcg/ml||Rs. 37.00 for 1 pack|
|Mecovon OD Capsule||Alpha Lipoic Acid 100mg + Folic Acid 1.5mg + Mecobalamin 1500mcg+ Pyridoxine 3mg + Thiamine mononitrate 10mg||Rs. 150.55 for 10 capsules|
|Meconeuron Injection||Methycobalamin 500mcg/ml||Rs. 24.70 for 1 pack|
Buy & save from: Myra Medicines | 1mg | Practo
11Substitutes of Meco OD
The following are alternative drugs for Meco OD:
- Neuromin OD Tablet: Manufactured by Ordain Healthcare.
- Mecofol OD Tablet: Manufactured by Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd.
- Nurokind OD Tablet: Manufactured by Mankind Pharma Ltd.
- Nuroday 1500mcg Tablet: Manufactured by Wockhardt.
Storage requirements for Meco OD
- The drug should be stored below 25°C and should be kept in a cool, dry place and away from direct heat and sunlight.
- Keep the drug in a place, where it is out of reach of children.
12FAQs – 10 Important Questions Answered about Meco OD
Q. What is Meco OD?
Ans. Meco OD is nutritional supplement formulated in such a way that it is efficient in providing the essential vitamins and minerals required to treat the nutritional deficiencies inside the body and enriching it by providing the adequate amount of it.
Q. How long does it take for Meco OD to show results?
Ans. Meco OD starts to show its effect within 2-3 hours of administering the drug.
Q. Should Meco OD be taken on an empty stomach?
Ans. Meco OD can be taken empty stomach but should be taken after meals in cases of gastric problems.
Q. Does Meco OD make you drowsy?
Ans. Meco OD does not cause drowsiness but it varies with every individual.
Q. What should be the time gap between the consumption of 2 Meco OD doses?
Ans. Ideal time gap of at least 4-6 hours should be there between two doses to avoid Meco OD toxicity or overdose.
Q. Should I complete the whole cycle of the medicine even if cured?
Ans. Meco OD should be consumed as prescribed by the doctor and in case of any severity of symptoms, immediate medical help or consultation should be taken and the doctor should be the one to decide when and how to stop the cycle of Meco OD.
Q. Does Meco OD effect my menstrual cycle?
Ans. No, it generally doesn’t affect the menstrual cycle but one should always consult the doctor in case of pre existing menstrual problems before consuming the drug
Q. Is Meco OD safe for children?
Ans. Meco OD is not advisable to be administered in children. Proper consultation and recommendation by the Paediatrician is necessary.
Q. Are there any symptoms that I should consider before taking Meco OD?
Ans. Any liver disorder or allergic reactions are to be taken into consideration before taking Meco OD.
Q. Is Meco OD legal in India?
Ans. Yes, it is legal in India.
Disclaimer – The information provided above is to the best of our research and knowledge. However, you are recommended to consult a physician before consuming the drug.
13Authored By –