Table of Contents
- What is Meftal 500?
- Uses of Meftal 500
- How does Meftal 500 work?
- How to take Meftal 500?
- Common Dosage for Meftal 500 Dosage
- When to Avoid Meftal 500?
- Precautions While Taking Meftal 500
- Side-Effects of Meftal 500
- Drug Interactions With Meftal 500 to be Careful About
- Buyer’s Guide – Meftal 500 Composition, Variant and Price
- Substitutes of Meftal 500
- FAQs – 10 Important Questions Answered about Meftal 500
- Authored By –
1What is Meftal 500?
It is a medicine which is used to treat symptoms like pain during menstruation. Constipation and flatulence are the most commonly seen side effects. It should be totally avoided in case of Gastric ulcers, Liver or kidney diseases and patients suffering from asthma.
Meftal 500 Composition: Mefenamic Acid 500mg.
Manufactured By: Blue Cross Laboratories Ltd.
Prescription: Not required as it is available as OTC.
Form: Tablets, Syrups, Drops, Creams and Injection.
Price: Rs. 25 for 10 tablets.
Expiry/Shelf Life: 24 months from the date of manufacturing.
Type of Drug: NSAID.
2Uses of Meftal 500
Meftal 500 is used for the treatment of following conditions:
- Menstruation pain: Used to provide relief in cases of pain during menstruation (period pain)
- Migraine: Used to provide relief in cases of perimenstrual migraine headache as it provides relief in the headache that occurs during menstruation.
- Stomach pain: Used to provide relief in cases of mild stomach pain as Meftal 500 is a NSAID in nature.
3How does Meftal 500 work?
- Meftal 500 contains Mefenamic Acid as its main active ingredient.
- Mefenamic Acid belongs to the class of NSAIDs.
- Mefenamic Acid works by inhibiting the Cyclo-oxygenase (COX) enzymes which further inhibits the production of Prostaglandins which are responsible for the inflammatory signs like pain, redness or swelling.
- Blocking Prostaglandins helps to relieve symptoms like pain, swelling, and redness at the site of injury.
Also Read: Methycobal Uses | Myospaz Uses
4How to take Meftal 500?
- Meftal 500 is usually available in tablet, injection, syrup form.
- Tablets are usually administered orally (Via mouth) with a glass of water or as instructed by the doctor.
- It should be consumed with or after food preferably with a glass of milk to avoid any gastric irritation.
- The tablet should not be crushed or chewed but should be swallowed as a whole.
- The injection form of Meftal is to be administered by trained medical staff only.
- Meftal syrup is advised generally for the paediatric population for mild stomach ache and should be administered to the child after proper consultation with the paediatrician only.
- It is recommended for a patient to go through the leaflet inside the package thoroughly to have a better understanding of the drug.
5Common Dosage for Meftal 500 Dosage
- The dosage of the drug is to be decided by the doctor for every individual as per the age, weight, mental status, allergic history and health status of the patient.
- The common dose of Meftal 500 for acute pain in adults and adolescents more than 14 years of age is one 500mg tablet as initial dose followed by a dose of 250mg 1-2 times a day after the initial dose for a week.
- The common dose of Meftal500 for menstrual pain is initial single tablet of 500mg followed by 250mg tablet 1-2 times every 6 hourly.
- Prolonged use without doctor’s consent should be avoided.
Q. What happens if I overdose on Meftal 500?
Overdose of Meftal 500 can increase the chances of side effects like nausea, vomiting and stomach upset. The doctor should be consulted immediately in case of Meftal 500 overdose.
Q. What happens if I miss a dose of Meftal 500?
Meftal 500 may not exhibit the desired effects as a certain amount of drug should always be present in the systemic circulation of the body to exhibit beneficial effects.
The missed dose of Meftal 500 should be consumed as soon as you remember it. But, it is not advisable to consume the missed dose if it’s already time to take the second dose as it may lead to drug toxicity or drug overdose.
Q. What happens if I eat expired Meftal 500?
A single dose of expired Meftal 500 is very unlikely to cause an adverse event as it might have lost its efficacy and potency. However, one should abstain from consuming expired drug and the doctor should be immediately consulted if one feels any undesirable symptoms after consuming the expired drug.
Q. What is the onset time of Meftal 500?
- Meftal 500 Tablets reaches its effect or shows the result in about 40 minutes to 1 hour after oral administration.
- Time taken by the drug to exhibit its effect varies with every individual.
6When to Avoid Meftal 500?
Do not Consume Meftal 500 Tablets:
- High Blood Pressure: In known cases of Hypertension as Meftal 500 can lead to increased hypertension and can increase the chances of cardiovascular events.
- Allergy: In known cases of allergy to Meftal500 or any other NSAIDs.
- Asthma: In known cases of Meftal 500 or other NSAIDs induced asthma attack, irritation and swelling of nose and face or current condition of Asthma.
- Gastric Problems: In known cases or history of stomach or intestinal ulcer, as Meftal 500 can lead to increased risk of bleeding in the stomach.
- Liver/kidney Diseases: In cases of past or current condition of Liver/kidney problems or diseases.
- Ulcers: In cases of patients with gastric ulcer, Meftal 500 can cause severe swelling and bleeding in the stomach and colon.
- Bypass Surgery: In cases of coronary artery bypass surgery, it should be avoided.
7Precautions While Taking Meftal 500
- Empty Stomach: Do not consume Meftal 500 empty stomach especially in cases of gastric diseases as it can worsen the condition of the stomach.
- Allergic Reaction: Any allergic reaction after taking Meftal 500 should be immediately reported to the doctor.
- Avoid Over dosage: Drug overdose should be avoided.
- Time Interval: A gap of 4-6 hours should be maintained between the two doses to avoid increased levels of drug in the blood as it can lead to toxicity.
Warnings When Taking Meftal 500
- Consuming more than the daily prescribed dose may lead to Gastric bleeding and liver damage.
- Meftal 500 is not advisable in bleeding disorders.
- Meftal 500 can increase the chances of heart attack in patients already suffering from heart disease.
8Side-Effects of Meftal 500
The side effects associated with Meftal 500 Tablets used for different treatments are:
- Nausea (common)
- Vomiting (common)
- Loss of appetite (common)
- Abdominal pain (less common)
- Flatulence (common)
- Constipation (common)
- Heart burn (less common)
- Diarrhoea (less common)
- Dry mouth (common)
- Skin rash (less common)
- Dry skin (common)
- Headache (less common)
- Dizziness (common)
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions to Meftal 500?
Possible allergic reactions reported for Meftal 500 tablets are:
- Lumpy skin or hives (less common)
- Swelling of eyelids, face, lips, mouth or tongue (less common)
- Sudden wheeziness. (less common)
What are the effects of Meftal 500 tablets on organs?
- Meftal 500 affects the liver directly and can cause fatal liver disease. Therefore, it is advised to consult doctor before administering Meftal 500 in patients with pre existing severe liver diseases.
- Meftal 500 also affects the gastric lining and can lead to ulcer formation and further stomach bleeding.
Also Read: Stemetil Price | Zerodol P Price
9Drug Interactions With Meftal 500 to be Careful About
One needs to be careful of certain drug interactions when consuming Meftal 500. These may span from certain food items to other medicines to some tests which should not be taken right after consuming Meftal 500. We explore these n details below.
1. Food Interactions with Meftal 500
No particular food item to be avoided.
2. Medicines Interactions with Meftal 500
All the possible drug interactions might not be listed here. It is always advised that the patient must inform the physician about of all the drugs/products you use. You must also inform about the herbal products that you are consuming. You must not modify the drug regimen without your doctor’s approval.
The common drug interactions have been noticed with the following drugs:
- Warfarin (moderate)
- Aspirin (moderate)
- ACE Inhibitors (mild)
- Angiotensin receptor blockers (mild)
- Beta blockers (mild)
- Loop diuretics (moderate)
- Thiazide diuretics (moderate)
- Digoxin (mild)
- Lithium (mild)
- Methotrexate (moderate)
- Cyclosporine (mild)
- Other NSAIDs (moderate)
- Antacids (mild)
3. Effects of Meftal 500 on Lab Tests
Meftal 500 does not affect any lab tests as such.
4. Meftal 500’s interactions with Pre-existing Conditions/Diseases
Any Liver diseases or asthma, gastric ulcers.
Q. Can I have Meftal 500 with alcohol?
No. There is an increased risk of side effects when Meftal 500 is taken with alcohol. The doctor should be consulted before consuming alcohol with Meftal 500.
Q. Any particular food item to be avoided?
Q. Can I have Meftal 500 when pregnant?
No, Meftal 500 should be avoided during pregnancy especially in the third trimester that is near the term of pregnancy as it may lead to bleeding. The doctor should always be notified if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant.
Q. Can I have Meftal 500 when feeding a baby?
No, Meftal 500 is not recommended in lactating mothers as mefenamic acid is secreted in human milk and the doctor should always be informed in such cases as a precautionary measure.
Q. Can I drive after taking Meftal 500?
Meftal 500 can cause drowsiness/dizziness. Therefore, it is advisable to avoid driving or operating heavy machinery if symptoms like dizziness or drowsiness occur after taking Meftal 500.
10Buyer’s Guide – Meftal 500 Composition, Variant and Price
|Meftal 250mg DT Tablet||Mefenamic Acid 250mg||Rs. 20 for 10 Tablets|
|Meftal Forte Tablet||Mefenamic Acid 500mg + Paracetamol 325mg||Rs. 38 for 10 Tablets|
|Meftal Spas Tablet||Mefenamic Acid 250mg + Diclyclomine 10mg||Rs. 39 for 10 Tablets|
|Meftal P 60ml Syrup||Mefenamic Acid 100mg/5ml||Rs. 32 for 1 pack.|
|Meftal P Tablet||Mefenamic Acid 100mg||Rs. 27 for 10 tablets|
|Meftal Spas 30ml Syrup||Dicyclomine 10mg + Simethicone 40mg/5ml||Rs. 35 for 1 pack.|
|Meftal Spas 2ml Injection||Dicyclomine 10mg/ml||Rs. 5.45 for 1 pack|
|Meftal MR Tablet||Mefenamic Acid 500mg + Tizanidine 2mg||Rs. 54 for 10 tablets|
Buy & Get Minimum 20% Discount: 1Mg coupon code | Medlife coupon code
11Substitutes of Meftal 500
The following are alternative drugs for Meftal 500:
- Mefnir 500mg Tablet: Manufactured by Celebrity Biopharma Ltd.
- Mefanorm 500mg Tablet: Manufactured by Serum Institute of India Pvt Ltd.
- Mictal 500mg Tablet: Manufactured by Rainbow Labs.
- Azispas 500mg Tablet: Manufactured by Azillian Healthcare.
Storage requirements for Meftal 500 Tablets
- Meftal 500 Tablet should be stored in a cool, moisture-free place at temperature below 25o C
- Drug should be kept out of children’s reach.
Also Read: Neurobion Dosage | Norflox Dosage | Shelcal Dosage
12FAQs – 10 Important Questions Answered about Meftal 500
Q. What is Meftal 500?
Ans. Meftal 500 is a solo drug containing Mefenamic Acid as its main ingredient.
It is used mostly to prevent or treat pain during menstruation.
Q. How long does it take for Meftal 500 to show results?
Ans. Meftal 500 shows its affect in 40 minutes-1 hour of administration of drug.
Q. Should Meftal 500 be taken on an empty stomach?
Ans. Meftal 500 should not be taken empty stomach as it is a NSAID and may cause stomach irritation and bleeding in few cases when taken on empty stomach.
Q. Does Meftal 500 make you drowsy?
Ans. Meftal 500 might cause drowsiness in few cases but it varies with every individual.
Q. What should be the time gap between the consumption of 2 Meftal 500 Tablets?
Ans. Ideal time gap of atleast 4-6 hours should be there between two doses to avoid Meftal 500 toxicity or overdose.
Q. Should I complete the whole cycle of the medicine even if cured?
Ans. Meftal 500 should never be stopped in between the cycle without consulting with the doctor.
The doctor should be the one to decide when and how to stop the cycle of Meftal 500.
Q. Does Meftal 500 effect my menstrual cycle?
Ans. No, it relieves the pain during menstruation. Always consult the doctor in case of pre existing menstrual problems before consuming the drug
Q. Is Meftal 500 safe for children?
Ans. Meftal 500 is available for paediatric population in different composition. Always consult the paediatrician before administering the drug to children.
Q. Are there any symptoms that I should consider before taking Meftal 500?
Ans. Any Gastric irritation and liver problems are to be taken into consideration before taking Meftal 500
Q. Is Meftal 500 legal in India?
Ans. Yes, it is legal in India.
Similar Reads –
Disclaimer – The information provided above is to the best of our research and knowledge. However, you are recommended to consult a physician before consuming the drug.
13Authored By –