Table of Contents
- 1 What is Melphalan?
- 2 How does Melphalan work?
- 3 How to Take Melphalan?
- 4 Melphalan Price in India
- 5 Common Dosage & when to take Melphalan?
- 6 When to avoid Melphalan?
- 7 Side effects of Melphalan?
- 8 Effects on organs?
- 9 Reported Allergic Reactions?
- 10 Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
- 11 Shows Effects / Results In:
- 12 FAQ
- 13 Is Melphalan Addictive?
- 14 Can I have Melphalan with alcohol?
- 15 Any particular food item to be avoided?
- 16 Can I have Melphalan when Pregnant?
- 17 Can I have Melphalan when feeding a baby?
- 18 Can I drive after taking Melphalan?
- 19 What happens if I overdose on Melphalan?
- 20 What happens if I eat expired Melphalan?
- 21 What happens if I miss a dose of Melphalan?
- 22 Storage of Melphalan
- 23 Pro Tips When Taking Melphalan:
What is Melphalan?
- Melphalan belongs to group of drugs called as “alkylating agents” commonly used for the treatment of cancer (anti-neoplastic).
- It is mainly used for the treatment of multiple myeloma and ovarian cancer.
Manufactured By – Biophore
Buy & Get Minimum 20% Discount: Myra Coupon Code | Netmeds
How does Melphalan work?
- Melphalan acts by cross linking with DNA and it slows the growth of cancer cells and prevents their rapid proliferation in the body.
How to Take Melphalan?
- Melphalan is available in tablet (2mg tabs) and injection form.
- When taken in oral form, it is advised to take this medicine empty stomach for better absorption. However if patients experience gastric side effects, it can be taken after meals.
- When taken in tablet form, swallow the tablet as a whole with plenty of fluids. Do not chew, break, or crush the tablet.
- Injection form can be given in patients where oral form is not absorbed properly and there are repeated nausea and vomiting.
- Always use Melphalan in a dose and frequency as advised. Never use more than the recommended dose or for longer periods as it can lead to severe side effects including death.
- In case of non improvement of symptoms or symptoms getting worse, seek medical attention immediately.
Melphalan Price in India
|2 mg Strip of 25 Tablets||Rs 2700|
|5 mg Strip of 25 Tablets||Rs 2700|
Also Read: Sucrafil Price | Suhagra 100 Price | Tramadol Price
Common Dosage & when to take Melphalan?
- The dose and frequency of Melphalan intake depends upon the condition of the patient and initial response to the treatment.
- Details regarding dosing in combination regimens should also be consulted. Adjust dose based on patient response and weekly blood counts.
- Continue to take Melphalan even if you feel better. The treatment should be stopped only after talking to your doctor.
When to avoid Melphalan?
Melphalan should not be used or should be used with caution when:
- Allergic to any of its components
- People with liver or kidney problem
- Pregnant and breast feeding females
- Blood disorders
Side effects of Melphalan?
- Melphalan may produce multiple side effects, although they may not be common in all the patients. Commonly observed side effects:
- bone marrow suppression leading to decrease in white blood cells count, reduced platelets count and anemia.
- Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and oral ulceration occur.
- Liver disorders ranging from abnormal liver function tests to clinical manifestations such as hepatitis and jaundice have been reported.
- Pulmonary fibrosis (including fatal outcomes) and interstitial pneumonitis, \
- skin hypersensitivity,
- rashes, vasculitis, loss of hair, and hemolytic anemia.
- Allergic reactions, including itching, swelling, skin rashes have occurred after multiple courses of treatment.
- Cardiac arrest has also been reported rarely in association with such reports.
Effects on organs?
- Patients with liver and kidney disease should administer Melphalan with caution and under the observation of a doctor.
Reported Allergic Reactions?
Tell your doctor if you are allergic to any of its ingredients.
Allergy with Melphalan may exhibit following symptoms:
- Chest tightness
- Shortness of breath
- Swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
- Drug interactions refer to effect of drugs on each other and on human body following ingestion. Large numbers of medicine have shown interaction with each other.
- It is advised that the patient must always inform the physician about all the medicines/over the counter products/vitamin supplements used.
- Consult your doctor before administering any other drugs concomitantly with Melphalan.
Shows Effects / Results In:
- Melphalan doesn’t work immediately after oral administration. It may take 4-6 weeks to relieve symptoms of joint pain whereas it may take few months for complete recovery.
- Even if symptoms disappear, it should be taken until advised to stop by the doctor.
Is Melphalan Addictive?
- No such tendency has been reported.
Can I have Melphalan with alcohol?
- Interaction of Melphalan with alcohol may increase the risk of alcohol damage in patients.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
- No alteration in its action seen with any food product.
Can I have Melphalan when Pregnant?
- Melphalan should never be taken during pregnancy as it may lead to foetal deformity or miscarriage.
- Always inform your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant before taking Melphalan.
Can I have Melphalan when feeding a baby?
- Melphalan should not be used in breastfeeding women as the drug may pass into breast milk and lead to adverse effects in foetus.
Can I drive after taking Melphalan?
- Few patients on Melphalan might exhibit drowsiness, dizziness or vision problems. Such patients should use Melphalan with caution while driving or operating heavy machinery.
What happens if I overdose on Melphalan?
- It should not be administered in more than prescribed dose or frequency.
- Taking more medication or with increased frequency can cause serious toxicity (abnormal liver function test, abnormal pulmonary function test, liver cirrhosis)
What happens if I eat expired Melphalan?
- The medicine may not work as well as the potency of the medicines decreases and also it may lead to some adverse effects.
- To be on the safer side, always check and never use an expired drug.
What happens if I miss a dose of Melphalan?
- The medicine may not work well if you miss a dose because for effective working of the drug, a certain amount of drug must be present in your body at all times.
- Always consume the missed dose as soon as you remember. But, if it is already time for the next dose – do not double the dose.
Storage of Melphalan
Storage at room temperature away from direct heat and light.
Keep medicines away from children and pets.
Pro Tips When Taking Melphalan:
- Melphalan can decrease body’s immunity, there are increased chances of developing secondary infections.
- Melphalan can affect blood cells and liver so constant monitoring of blood tests should be done.
Also read about other medicine's: Methotrexate | Misoprostol