What is Methocarbamol?
Methocarbamol is a central nervous system depressant with sedative and muscle relaxant properties
Buy & Get Minimum 20% Discount: Pharmeasy Medicines | Netmeds Medicines
Uses of Methocarbamol
Methocarbamol Oral is essentially used as an add-on to rest, physical therapy, and other therapeutic procedures for the treatment in patients suffering from acute, painful muscle spasm.
How Methocarbamol works?
- The mechanism of action of Methocarbamol Oral in humans is not clearly known, but it has been largely attributed to central nervous system depression.
- It has no direct action on the contractile mechanism of muscle or the nerve fiber.
How to take Methocarbamol?
- Methocarbamol comes in the form of tablets and solution for injection.
- Tablets should be swallowed as a whole and not broken, crushed or chewed.
- They should be taken after food and with plenty of fluids.
- Injection is administered to the patient by a trained healthcare professional.
Methocarbamol Price In India
|400 mg Strip of 10 Tablets||Rs 22.00|
|750 mg Strip of 6 Tablets||Rs 17.56|
Also Read: Lovenox Price | Neurontin Price
Common dosage of Methocarbamol
- The drug dosage is decided by the physician based upon:
- Health status/medical condition of the patient
- Severity of symptoms
- Reaction to the first dose
- History of allergy/drug reactions
- For acute muscle spasm: start 1500 mg 4 times daily (maximum 8 g/day).
- Decrease dose to 1000 mg 4 times daily or 1500 mg 3 times daily after a few days.
- The drug dose should ideally be individualized based on the patient’s response and acceptance.
- Methocarbamol tablets should be swallowed as a whole and not broken, crushed or chewed.
- Consult your doctor before administering in children below 12 years of age.
- Never use more than the recommended dose or for longer periods of time without doctor’s consent.
When to avoid Methocarbamol Oral?
- Allergy – Methocarbamol is not recommended if you have a known allergy to Methocarbamol or any components present in Methocarbamol.
- Do not use Methocarbamol in patients suffering from severe liver disease
- Do not use Methocarbamol in patients suffering from severe kidney disease
- Do not use Methocarbamol in patients suffering from myasthenia gravis.
Side effects of Methocarbamol
All medicines have some side effects. Side effects are possible but do not always occur. Consult your doctor if you feel that you have any of them-
- Swelling on face and lips
- A headache
- Decreased rate of heartbeat
- Redness and warm flushes on face
- Decreased blood pressure
- Loss of consciousness
- Increased acidity in the stomach
- Nausea and vomiting
- Decreased count of white blood cells
- Double vision
- Dizziness or lightheadedness,
- Mild muscular incoordination,
- Loss of balance
- Sedation, seizures
- Blurred vision,
- Nasal congestion,
- Metallic taste,
Also Read: Risperdal Side Effect | Reglan Side Effect
Reported allergic reactions?
Possible allergic reactions reported with Methocarbamol Oral are-
- Rashes on skin
- Discoloration of the skin on the face or neck
- Irregular heartbeat
- Swelling of face, neck
- Loss of consciousness
Effect on organs?
Patients with pre-existing liver and kidney diseases should use Methocarbamol with caution and under the supervision of their doctor.
Drug interactions to be careful about?
- Drug interaction refers to the effect of drugs on each other and on the human body after ingestion. Large numbers of medicines have shown to interact with each other.
- You must always inform your doctor if you are taking any drug that induces sleep – such as sleeping pills, an anti-anxiety medicine, drugs used in epilepsy, depression, sedatives, narcotic painkillers, other muscle relaxants or anti-anxiety drugs.
- It is always advised that the patient must inform the physician about all the drugs/over the counter products/vitamin supplements used.
- You must also inform about the herbal products that you are consuming. Do not modify the drug regimen without your doctor’s approval.
- All the possible drug interactions might not be listed here. Few common drugs which interact with Methocarbamol include-
- pyridostigmine bromide
- antihistamines (such as cetirizine, diphenhydramine).
Show effects/Results in?
Methocarbamol Oral generally shows its effects within 30 minutes of administration to the patient.
Is Methocarbamol addictive?
No addictive effects have been reported with Methocarbamol.
Can I have Methocarbamol Oral with alcohol?
Daily use of alcohol while using Methocarbamol may increase your risk of liver damage and exacerbate dizziness/sleepiness.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
No interaction with any food product observed.
Can I have Methocarbamol Oral when pregnant?
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or if you plan to become pregnant.
- During pregnancy avoid taking Methocarbamol unless entirely necessary.
Can I have Methocarbamol when feeding a baby?
- It is not known whether Methocarbamol Oral is secreted in breast milk.
- Use with caution or only when advised in lactating mothers.
Can I drive after taking Methocarbamol?
- Methocarbamol Tablet may cause side effects like dizziness, headache, drowsiness, and light-headedness in few patients.
- In such patients, driving should be avoided.
What happens if I overdose on Methocarbamol Oral?
Taking more than prescribed dosage can be harmful and can increase the incidence of side effects. Symptoms of overdosage include:
- blurred vision,
- lowered blood pressure,
- and coma.
In the case of over-dosage, consult your doctor immediately.
What happens if I eat expired Methocarbamol?
- Avoid taking expired medicine. If you have taken accidentally and you are feeling any discomfort rush to the doctor immediately for medical assistance.
- An expired drug might not be as potent in treating your condition. It is advisable to refrain from using an expired drug.
What happens if I miss a dose of Methocarbamol Oral?
- The medicine may not work well if you miss a dose because, for effective working of the drug, a certain amount of drug must be present in your body at all times.
- Always consume the missed dose as soon as you remember it. But, if it is already time to take the second dose after that – do not take a double dose.
Storage requirements for Methocarbamol
Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
Pro Tips for Taking Methocarbamol Oral
- Methocarbamol can increase the effects of other CNS depressants (alcohol, barbiturates) medicine.
- Methocarbamol can cause abnormal results with certain medical tests. Inform your doctor who treats you that you are using Methocarbamol Oral.
Other medicine's to read: Keppra