Table of Contents
- What is Metrogyl 400?
- Uses of Metrogyl 400
- How does Metrogyl 400 work?
- How to take Metrogyl 400?
- Metrogyl 400 Common Dosage
- When to Avoid Metrogyl 400?
- Precautions While Taking Metrogyl 400:
- Side-Effects of Metrogyl 400:
- Drug Interactions to be Careful About
- Buyer’s Guide – Metrogyl 400 Composition, Variant and Price
- Substitutes of Metrogyl 400
- FAQs – 12 Important Questions Answered about Metrogyl 400
- Q. What is Metrogyl 400?
- Authored By –
1What is Metrogyl 400?
Metrogyl 400 is mainly used to prevent or treat infections like Amebiasis, Giardiasis, and Tichomoniasis Hepatitis, jaundice and erythema multiforme are the major side effects at high doses. It should be totally avoided in case of blood and neurological disease and allergic cases.
Metrogyl 400 Composition: Metronidazole 400 mg
Manufactured By: J B Chemicals and Pharmaceuticals Ltd.
Prescription: Required as it comes under schedule ‘H’ but available as OTC drug.
Form: Tablets, gel, infusion and suspension.
Price: Rs 12.76 for 15 tablets.
Expiry/Shelf Life: 24 months from the date of manufacturing
Type of Drug: Antibiotic
2Uses of Metrogyl 400
Metrogyl 400 serves a great purpose in the treatment of the following conditions:
- Dracunculiasis: Used in cases of Dracunculiasis (parasitic infection by guinea worm)
- Giardiasis: Used to treat Giardiasis (the disease caused by giardia lamblia)
- Trichomoniasis: Used in patients with Trichomoniasis (caused by trichomonas vaginalis)
- Amoebiasis: Used to treat Amebiasis (infection caused by Entamoeba group)
- Colitis: Used in cases of Clostridium difficile colitis
- Vaginosis: Used to prevent pre term birth in women with bacterial vaginosis.
- Oral Infection: Used to treat infections of teeth, gums and mouth.
- Sores and Ulcers: Used to treat infected bed sores and leg ulcers.
- Blood infection: Used to treat blood infections.
3How does Metrogyl 400 work?
- Metrogyl 400 contains Metronidazole as its main active ingredient
- Metronidazole belongs to the nitroimidazole class and it works by inhibiting the nucleic acid synthesis by disrupting the DNA of microbial cells.
- This function of Metronidazole works only when it is reduced form and Metronidazole is in reduced form only with anaerobic bacteria and protozoans.
- Hence, Metrogyl 400 is more useful in anaerobic infections
4How to take Metrogyl 400?
- Metrogyl 400 is usually available in tablet form.
- Metrogyl 400 tablet is usually taken by mouth with a glass of water either with food or just after food.
- For complete infection and symptoms eradication, the complete prescribed dose should be taken.
- One should go through the drug leaflet available in the packet insert.
5Metrogyl 400 Common Dosage
- Metrogyl 400 dosage can be decided by the doctor for every individual as per Age, Weight, Mental status, Allergic history and Health status of the patient.
- The usual common adult dose of Metrogyl 400 in cases of Amoebiasis is 400-800 mg thrice a day for 5-7 days and paediatric dose is 35-50mg/kg body weight.
- In cases of Giardiasis, the common adult dose is 200 mg thrice a day for 7-10 days and paediatric dose is 10-15mg/kg body weight.
Q. What happens if I overdose on Metrogyl 400?
Overdose of Metrogyl 400 can cause symptoms like nausea, vomiting, and other undesired effects so the dose of the drug should be taken carefully as prescribed by the doctor and Consult the Medical Staff or the doctor immediately in case of Metrogyl 400 overdose.
Q. What happens if I miss a dose of Metrogyl 400?
Dose prescribed by the doctor should never be missed as for the drug to exhibit proper effects, a certain amount of drug should always be present in the body and the missed dose should be consumed always as soon as you remember it. But, avoid taking a double dose if it’s already time for the second dose after that as it may lead to overdose of the drug.
Q. What happens if I eat expired Metrogyl 400?
An expired drug is not potent enough to treat the condition and one should avoid consuming the expired drug.
Q. Onset time of Metrogyl 400?
One should start to feel recovered within the first few days of Metrogyl 400 therapy.
Q. Till when does the effect of Metrogyl 400 stays?
The complete prescribed dose of the drug should be taken before stopping the treatment.
Also read other medicine's Dosage: Zifi 200 Dosage
6When to Avoid Metrogyl 400?
Do not Consume Metrogyl 400 if:
- Allergy: In cases of the known history of allergy to Metrogyl 400 or any of its ingredients
- Alcoholism: In cases of the known history of chronic alcohol dependence.
- Blood diseases: In cases of history of blood diseases, hypothyroidism and hypoadrenalism.
- Viral and fungal infection: In cases of infections caused by virus or fungi like common cold and candidiasis as Metrogyl 400 is ineffective in such cases.
- Neurological diseases: In cases of neurological diseases.
7Precautions While Taking Metrogyl 400:
- Caution: The drug should not be administered in patients of the first trimester of pregnancy
- Appropriate use: Metrogyl 400 should be used only in cases suspected to be of anaerobic bacteria origin.
- Dose alteration: Dose alteration without medical consultation should be avoided.
- Empty stomach: Metrogyl 400 should not be taken empty stomach.
Warnings When Taking Metrogyl 400
- The doctor should always be informed in case of known allergy to Metronidazole.
- In cases of liver impairment, the doctor should always be notified.
- Metrogyl 400 should always be taken with or after food to avoid stomach upset.
- Metrogyl 400 should be used only in cases of bacterial infections.
8Side-Effects of Metrogyl 400:
The side effects associated with Metrogyl 400 are:
- Nausea (common)
- Vomiting (common)
- Unpleasant metallic taste (common)
- Furred tongue (less common)
- GI disturbances (common)
- Drowsiness (less common)
- Dizziness (less common)
- Headache (less common)
- Ataxia (less common)
- Darkening of urine (common)
- Erythema multiforme (less common)
- Pruritis (common)
- Urticaria (less common)
- Anaphylaxis (less common)
- Angioedema (common)
- Abnormal liver function tests (common)
- Hepatitis (less common)
- Jaundice (less common)
- Myalgia (less common)
- Glossitis (common)
- Anorexia (common)
- Dryness of mouth (common)
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions to Metrogyl 400?
- A rare allergic reaction with symptoms like skin rash raised welts on skin and fever may occur.
- In case of any allergic signs, immediate medical help should be taken.
What are the effects of Metrogyl 400 on organs?
- Metrogyl 400 can affect hepatic enzymes therefore; extra caution or dose modification is required in cases of hepatic impairment.
- In case of any allergic reaction or overdose, immediate medical help should be taken.
9Drug Interactions to be Careful About
It is always advisable to be careful of a certain drug to drug or drug to food interactions when consuming Metrogyl 400. Always be aware of the food items, other drugs or lab tests while consuming Metrogyl 400. We explore these n details below.
1. Food Interactions with Metrogyl 400
following food items should be avoided with Metrogyl 400 as they show antiplatelet effect Alfalfa, anise, bilberry, grape seed, green tea, turmeric, fenugreek, garlic,
2. Medicines Interactions with Metrogyl 400
All the potential drug interactions might not be listed here. It is always advisable that the patient must inform the physician about of all the drugs/products you use. You must notify the doctor about the herbal products that you are currently consuming. You should never alter the drug regimen without your doctor’s approval.
The common drug interactions have been noticed with the following drugs:
- Disulfiram as it causes Psychotic reactions in alcoholic patients who are using metronidazole and disulfiram concurrently. (moderate)
- Warfarin and other Oral Anticoagulants (moderate)
- Lithium (mild)
- Busulfan (moderate)
- Drugs that Inhibit CYP450 Enzymes like Cimetidine (mild)
- Drugs that Induce CYP450 Enzymes like Phenytoin (moderate)
3. Effects of Metrogyl 400 on Lab Tests
Metrogyl 400 affects the liver function tests
4. Metrogyl 400’s interactions with Pre-existing Conditions/Diseases
Any blood or neurological disease or chronic alcoholism
Q. Can I have Metrogyl 400 with alcohol?
No, alcohol/alcoholic beverages or any product containing propylene glycol consumption should be avoided while being consuming Metrogyl 400 and minimum up to 3 days afterward.
Q. Any particular food item to be avoided?
Following food items should be avoided with Metrogyl 400 as they show anti platelet effect
Alfalfa, anise, bilberry, grape seed, green tea, turmeric, fenugreek, garlic,
Q. Can I have Metrogyl 400 when pregnant?
The doctor should always be informed in case of pregnancy or plans of conceiving as Metrogyl 400 is to be avoided during the first trimester of pregnancy.
Q. Can I have Metrogyl 400 when feeding a baby?
Avoid breast-feeding while you are on Metrogyl 400 therapy. The doctor should always be informed if you are breastfeeding your child as a precautionary measure.
Q. Can I drive after taking Metrogyl 400?
Metrogyl 400 can cause dizziness in few cases so one should avoid driving if any dizziness or drowsiness occurs.
Also read about other medicine's Side effect: Moxikind CV 625 Side effect
10Buyer’s Guide – Metrogyl 400 Composition, Variant and Price
|Metrogyl 400 Variants||Metrogyl 400 Composition||Metrogyl 400 Price (Rs.)|
|Metrogyl 200 tablet||Metronidazole 200 mg||Rs. 7.22 for 15 tablets|
|Metrogyl 60ml suspension||Metronidazole Benzoate||Rs. 18.8 for 1/pack|
|Metrogyl gel||Metronidazole 2%w/w||Rs. 63.1 for 1/pack|
|Metrogyl ER 600mg tablet||Metronidazole 600 mg||Rs. 53.88 for 10 tablet|
|Metrogyl IV infusion||Metronidazole 500 mg||Rs. 14.05 for 1/pack|
11Substitutes of Metrogyl 400
The following are alternative drugs for Metrogyl 400:
- Flagyl 400mg tablet:
- Manufactured by Abbott
- Price- Rs. 13.44
- Aristogyl 400mg tablet:
- Manufactured by Aristo Pharmaceuticals Pvt ltd
- Price- Rs. 8.96
- Metron Forte tablet:
- Manufactured by Alkem Laboratories Ltd
- Price- Rs. 8.25
Storage requirements for Metrogyl 400 Tablets
- Store the drug at room temperature below 25o C, away from moisture and direct heat.
- Keep at a place where it is out of reach of children
12FAQs – 12 Important Questions Answered about Metrogyl 400
13Q. What is Metrogyl 400?
Ans. Metrogyl 400 is an antibiotic and antiprotozoal drug that contains Metronidazole as its active ingredient. Metronidazole provides the antibacterial and antiprotozoal activity by killing the bacterial and protozoan cells. Metrogyl 400 is used to prevent or treat infections like Amebiasis, Giardiasis, and Tichomoniasis.
Q. What are the uses of Metrogyl 400?
Ans. Metrogyl 400 is used to prevent or treat infections like Amebiasis, Giardiasis, and Tichomoniasis.
Q. What are the side effects of Metrogyl 400?
Ans. The most common side effects of Metrogyl 400 are Nausea, Vomiting, Unpleasant metallic taste, Furred tongue, GI disturbances, Drowsiness
Q. How effective it is/ How long does it take for Metrogyl 400 to show results?
Ans. One should start to feel recovered within first few days of Metrogyl 400 therapy.
Q. Should Metrogyl 400 be taken on an empty stomach?
Ans. Metrogyl 400 should not be taken empty stomach to prevent any potential stomach irritation.
Q. Does Metrogyl 400 make you drowsy?
Ans. Yes, Metrogyl 400 may cause drowsiness in few cases but it varies with every individual.
Q. What should be the time gap between the consumption of 2 Metrogyl 400 doses?
Ans. Ideal time gap of 4-6 hours should be there between two doses to avoid Metrogyl 400 toxicity or overdose.
Q. Should I complete the whole cycle of the medicine even if cured?
Ans. Metrogyl 400 should be consumed as prescribed by the doctor and in case of any severity of symptoms, immediate medical help or consultation should be taken.
And the doctor should be the one to decide when and how to stop the cycle of Metrogyl 400.
Q. Does Metrogyl 400 effect my menstrual cycle?
Ans. No, it generally doesn’t affect the menstrual cycle but one should always consult the doctor in case of pre existing menstrual problems before consuming the drug
Q. Is Metrogyl 400 safe for children?
Ans. Metrogyl 400 should only be administered in children after proper consultation and recommendation by the Paediatrician.
Q. Are there any symptoms that I should consider before taking Metrogyl 400?
Ans. Any blood disorder, neurological disease, allergic reactions are to be taken into consideration before taking Metrogyl 400.
Q. Is Metrogyl 400 legal in India?
Ans. Yes, it is legal in India.
Similar Reads –
Disclaimer – The information provided above is to the best of our research and knowledge. However, you are recommended to consult a physician before consuming the drug.
14Authored By –