What is Mirtazapine?
Mirtazapine is sold under the brand name Remeron. It is an atypical anti-depressant drug. Mirtazapine is used to as a common medication for disorders such as depressive disorder and anxiety disorder.
Manufactured By – AstraZeneca
Buy & Get Minimum 30% Discount: Pharmeasy Discount Code | Netmeds Coupons
Uses of Mirtazapine
- Mirtazapine is used as anxiolytic, antiemetic, antiallergenic, appetite stimulant and sedative.
- It is also used to treat anxiety disorders, nausea, vomiting, and insomnia.
- Mirtazapine is used for weight gaining process at desirable periods.
Also Read: Hydroxyzine Uses | Imodium Uses | Insulin Uses
How Does Mirtazapine Work?
As Mirtazapine is an antidepressant, it enhances the activity of neurotransmitters such as noradrenaline and serotonin which acts as chemical messengers between nerve cells. As they are bound to the nerve cells of the brain, they would no longer have an effect on our mood.
How to Take Mirtazapine?
- Swallow the Mirtazapine tablet wholly.
- Do not crush, chew or break it.
- It can be taken with or without food.
- Take Mirtazapine during the bedtime as it makes you drowsy.
Mirtazapine Price in India
|Mirtazapine (Volume of 10)||Rs 115.00|
Also Read: Meloxicam Price | Metformin Price
Common Dosage for Mirtazapine
- The dosage is different according to different conditions. So it is safe to consult the doctor before taking the dosage.
- For depression-15 mg per day and may gradually increase up to 45 mg per day by the physician.
- The patient should be monitored daily.
Other medicine's Dosage: Lisinopril Dosage | Lomotil Dosage | Loratadine Dosage
Precautions – When to Avoid Mirtazapine?
While taking the Mirtazapine tablet you should follow the below-mentioned steps:
- Don’t delay or miss scheduled meal or snack
- Don’t take Mirtazapine along with other certain medications.
- Avoid Mirtazapine, if you feel you have a sore throat, fever and chills, soreness in the mouth or back pain, etc.,
Side-Effects of Mirtazapine
Some common side effects of Mirtazapine are:
- Dry mouth
- Weight gain
- Increased appetite
- Weird dreams
- Stiffness in muscles
- Blurred vision
- aggressive behaviour
Effects of Mirtazapine on Organs
Mirtazapine is excessively metabolized in the liver which leads to hepatotoxicity.
Drug Interactions to be Careful About
Drugs which cause serious effects while interacting with Mirtazapine are:
- methylene blue,
- sodium oxybate,
- tedizolid, etc.,
Effects/Results after Consuming Mirtazapine
Mirtazapine in the case of sleep, energy or appetite, will show its effect within 1 to 2 weeks. However, in the case of depression and anxiety, it may take up to 6 to 8 weeks to recover.
Storage Requirements about Mirtazapine
Mirtazapine can be stored in a closed container at room temperature away from excess heat and moisture.
Pro Tips When Taking Mirtazapine
- Mirtazapine should be taken in the prescribed dosage and the dosage must only increase when the physician prescribes it.
- Do not abruptly stop taking Mirtazapine as it may cause negative effects on the body.
- Avoid alcohol and certain other foods while taking Mirtazapine.
FAQs – Things to Know About Mirtazapine
Is Mirtazapine addictive?
No. But Mirtazapine can cause adverse effects when it is abruptly stopped.
Can I have Mirtazapine with alcohol?
Having Mirtazapine with alcohol will make you more drowsy.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
Avoid food items which are recommended by your doctor.
Can I have Mirtazapine when pregnant?
No, Mirtazapine is not recommended during pregnancy as it causes preterm birth in a baby. It is best to take advice from your doctor.
Can I have Mirtazapine when feeding a baby?
A dosage of 120mg would not cause any side effects in infants.
Can I drive after taking Mirtazapine?
You should avoid driving once you consume Mirtazapine if you feel drowsy.
What happens if I overdose on Mirtazapine?
It would cause seizures, serotonin toxicity, and even coma.
What happens if I eat expired Mirtazapine?
It will not be effective but take advice from your doctor immediately.
What happens if I miss a dose of Mirtazapine?
If you miss a dose of Mirtazapine take it as soon as you remember it, only if that happens within 12 hours. If not, just resume with your next regular dosage.
When Was Mirtazapine Made?
Mirtazapine was made in the year 1996.