Skip to Content
- What is Misoprostol?
- How does Misoprostol work?
- Misoprostol Price in India
- How to Take Misoprostol?
- Common Dosage for Misoprostol?
- When to Avoid Misoprostol?
- Side-effects of Misoprostol?
- Reported Allergic Reactions?
- Effect on organs
- Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
- Is Misoprostol Addictive?
- Can I have Misoprostol with alcohol?
- Any particular food item to be avoided?
- Can I have Misoprostol When Pregnant?
- Can I have Misoprostol when feeding a baby?
- Can I drive after taking Misoprostol?
- What happens if I overdose on Misoprostol?
- What happens if I eat expired Misoprostol?
- What happens if I miss a dose of Misoprostol?
- Storage Requirements for Misoprostol
- Pro Tips When Taking Misoprostol
What is Misoprostol?
- Misoprostol is a synthetic analog of prostaglandin that is indicated to prevent and reduce the risk of stomach ulcers in patients who are on NSAIDs therapy and in patients who are at high risk of developing stomach ulcers.
- Misoprostol is also used for a number of obstetric indications that address maternal health concerns. Misoprostol stimulates strong contractions of the uterus and also softens and dilates the cervix, similar to the natural process of labour.
- The obstetric indications include –
- Prevention and treatment of bleeding post-delivery,
- Induction of labour,
- Treatment of incomplete abortion and miscarriage, induced abortion,
- Treatment of missed abortion,
- Treatment of intrauterine death of foetus,
- Treatment of cervical ripening.
Manufactured By – Misoprostol
Buy & Get Minimum 20% Discount: 1Mg Medicines | Practo Medicines
How does Misoprostol work?
- Misoprostol works by acting as a prostaglandin analog, and thereby respondible for actions including –
- contraction and relaxation of smooth muscle,
- dilation and constriction of blood vessels,
- control of blood pressure,
- modulation of inflammation.
Misoprostol Price in India
|200 mcg Strip of 4 Tablets||Rs 70.20|
Also Read: Gentamicin Price | Loperamide Price
How to Take Misoprostol?
- You must use Misoprostol only after a consultation with the doctor and in the dose and duration as advised by your doctor.
- For prevention of stomach ulcers – the tablets are usually taken 4 times in a day, after food.
- For inducing abortion – Misoprostol is placed inside the vagina by the gynaecologist.
- For other obstetric indications – Misoprostol is given only by a healthcare professional.
Common Dosage for Misoprostol?
- It should only be taken as recommended by your doctor.
- The drug dosage is decided by the doctor / gynaecologist based on the indication and health status of the patient.
Also Read: Melphalan Dosage | Methotrexate Dosage
When to Avoid Misoprostol?
- Misoprostol should be avoided in case you are allergic to Misoprostol.
- Misoprostol should be avoided in patients suffering from stomach / intestinal disease.
- If you are using this drug in combination with Mifepristone, then you must not use if –
- You are pregnant outside your uterus region.
- You suffer from a tendency of tubal pregnancy.
- You have a bleeding or a clotting disorder
- You are a female over 35 years of age.
- You smoke 10 or more cigarettes per day.
- You are having a tumour in the liver.
- You are suffering from asthma, Inherited porphyria
- You are suffering from kidney diseases.
- You have Intrauterine Device (IUD) in place.
- You are suffering from chronic adrenal failure.
- You are on concurrent long-term corticosteroid therapy.
Side-effects of Misoprostol?
- The most common side effect if you are taking Misoprostol by mouth is diarrhoea.
- Other side effects include nausea, vomiting, stomach pain, abdominal cramps, indigestion, headache, dizziness, or extreme tiredness and weakness.
- Other side effects include vaginal bleeding, decreased appetite, uterine cramping and pain in legs.
Reported Allergic Reactions?
Very rarely, Misoprostol can cause allergic reactions i.e. itchy skin, rashes, swelling especially on face, lips, eyelids, tongue & throat, difficulty in breathing or swallowing.
Effect on organs
Misoprostol should be used with caution in patients having liver & kidney diseases.
Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
- All the possible drug interactions might not be listed here. You must always inform the physician of all the drugs/products you use.
- Following drugs can interact with Misoprostol-
- Oxytoxic agents
- You must also inform about the herbal products that you are consuming. You must not modify the drug regimen without your doctor’s approval.
Is Misoprostol Addictive?
Can I have Misoprostol with alcohol?
Consumption of alcohol in not advisable.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
Consumption of tobacco should be avoided.
Can I have Misoprostol When Pregnant?
Misoprostol can cause medical abortion, premature labour or birth defects.
It has no other approved indication for use during pregnancy.
Can I have Misoprostol when feeding a baby?
Can I drive after taking Misoprostol?
- Misoprostol can cause a state of drowsiness and tiredness.
- Therefore, driving should be done under discretion.
What happens if I overdose on Misoprostol?
An overdose of Misoprostol can cause unwarranted symptoms.
Contact a doctor immediately if you have taken an overdose.
What happens if I eat expired Misoprostol?
An expired Misoprostol might not be as potent. It is advisable to refrain from using expired drug.
Kindly consult a doctor if you have consumed an expired Misoprostol.
What happens if I miss a dose of Misoprostol?
Kindly consult your doctor/gynaecologist immediately.
Storage Requirements for Misoprostol
Protect from humidity, light, and temperatures above 40C.
Pro Tips When Taking Misoprostol
If used for medical abortion, patients should be called for a follow-up visit at approximately 14 days after administration of Misoprostol to confirm the termination of pregnancy and for the assessment of degree of bleeding.
Other medicine's to read: Sucrafil | Suhagra 100 | Tramadol