Table of Contents
- What is Modalert?
- Uses of Modalert
- How does Modalert work?
- How to Take Modalert?
- Common Dosage for Modalert
- When to Avoid Modalert?
- Precautions While Taking Modalert
- Side-Effects of Modalert
- Drug Interactions to be Careful About
- Modalert – Composition, Variant and Price– Buyer’s Guide
- Substitutes of Modalert
- FAQs – 10 Important Questions Answered about Modalert
1What is Modalert?
Modalert is used to promote wakefulness in patients suffering from Narcolepsy (chronic sleep disorder) and other sleep disorders like obstructive sleep apnoea. Modalert is available in tablet form for oral administration and contains “Modafinil” as its active ingredient. It should specifically be used with caution in patients suffering from liver and cardiovascular disease.
Modalert Composition – Modafinil – 200mg
Manufactured By – Sun pharmaceutical Pvt Ltd
Prescription– Prescription needed
Form – Tablet
Price – Rs. 143
Type of Drug –CNS stimulant
2Uses of Modalert
Modalert can be used in the treatment or prevention of the following conditions:
- Narcolepsy (chronic sleep disorder causing excessive day time sleepiness)
- Obstructive sleep apnea (a sleeping disorder characterized by repeated stopping and starting of breathing during sleep)
- Shift work sleep disorder (a sleep disorder characterized by either excessive sleeping or difficulty in sleeping in people whose work hours overlap with typical sleep period)
- Excessive day time sleepiness/ drowsiness
Also Read: Vincomo Plus Uses
3How does Modalert work?
Modalert alters the level of chemical mediators of the brain which control the sleep/wake cycle. The medicine does not cure sleeping disorders but provides symptomatic relief.
Read About: Oleanz Composition
4 How to Take Modalert?
- Modalert medicine is available in tablet form in different strengths (100mg and 200mg).
- When taken in oral form, it can be administered with or without food but at a fixed time everyday preferably in the morning.
- When taken in tablet form, swallow the tablet as a whole with fluids. Do not chew, break, or crush as it may interfere with its rate of absorption.
- When administered as an orally disintegrating tablet, allow the tablet to dissolve in the mouth without chewing the tablet.
- Modalert should not be discontinued suddenly; the dose should be tapered first before stopping completely or else it may cause withdrawal symptoms like shaking, vomiting, sweating etc.
5 Common Dosage for Modalert
The drug dosage is decided by the physician based upon:
- Health status/medical condition of the patient
- Severity of symptoms
- Reaction to the first dose
- History of allergy/drug reactions
- The recommended oral dose in adults is a single 200mg tablet taken once a day in the morning.
- Geriatric patients and patients with chronic hepatic (liver) disorder administering Modalert should be closely monitored for adverse effects and dose reduction should be advised.
Q. What happens if I overdose on Modalert?
Modalert should not be administered in more than prescribed dose. Taking increased dose will not improve your symptoms earlier; rather it may cause serious side-effects like irritability, aggressiveness, tremors, palpitations etc. In case of overdosage, consult your doctor immediately.
Q. What happens if I miss a dose of Modalert?
Modalert tablet should only be administered when it is required.
Q. What happens if I eat expired Modalert?
The medicine may not work as well as the potency of the medicine gets affected. Please inform your physician regarding the same. To be on the safer side, always check and never use an expired medicine.
Q. What is the onset time of Modalert?
Modalert is readily absorbed after oral administration and reaches its peak plasma level in 2-4 hours, however, it starts showing its effect within an hour of administration.
Q. When Does the Effect of Modalert Stay?
The medicine remains active in the body for 8-10 hours.
Read About: Predmet Dosage
6 When to Avoid Modalert?
Modalert should not be used in:
- Patients with allergy to any of its components
- Patients with cardiovascular disorders
- Patients with severe liver disorder
- Patients on oral contraceptives
- Pregnant and breastfeeding women
7 Precautions While Taking Modalert
- Modalert should only be administered in patients who have had a complete evaluation of their sleeping disorder and in whom a diagnosis has been made.
- Do not stop taking the medicine abruptly as it may be associated with certain withdrawal symptoms.
Know More: Mucinac Precaution
8Side-Effects of Modalert
Majority of the patients do not show any side effects. Few patients might show side effects which include:
- Headache (common)
- Nausea (common)
- Trouble sleeping (common)
- Confusion (less common)
- Nervousness (less common)
- Mood changes (less common)
- Anxiety (less common)
- Dizziness (less common)
- Diarrhea (less common)
- Chills (rare)
- Tremor (rare)
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions to Modalert?
Tell your doctor if you are allergic to any of its ingredients.
Signs and symptoms include:
- Rash (common)
- Itching (common)
- Shortness of breath (less common)
- Swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat (rare)
- Loss of consciousness (rare)
What are the effects of Modalert on organs?
Patients with pre-existing liver and kidney disease should use it with caution after consulting a doctor.
Also Read: Oleanz Side Effects | Seroflo Side Effects
9 Drug Interactions to be Careful About
Drug interaction refers to the effect of drugs on each other and on the human body after ingestion. Large numbers of medicines have shown to interact with each other. Interactions are not just limited to drugs, but certain food items and some laboratory tests which should not be taken right after consuming Modalert. We explore these in details below.
1. Food Interactions with Modalert
No interaction observed with any food products.
2. Medicines Interactions with Modalert
It is always advised that the patient must inform the physician about all the drugs/over the counter products/vitamin supplements used. It may interact with the following drugs and products:
- Propanolol (moderate)
- Omeprazole (moderate)
- Warfarin (moderate)
- MAO inhibitors(moderate)
- Phenytoin (moderate)
- Barbiturates (moderate)
- Clopidogrel (severe)
- Cyclosporine (moderate)
3. Effects of Modalert on Lab Tests
Modalert does not affect any lab tests.
4. Interactions with Pre-existing Conditions/Diseases
Patients suffering from pre-existing liver and kidney diseases must consult their physician before consuming Modalert.
Q. Can I have Modalert with alcohol?
Interaction of Modalert with alcohol is unknown.
Q. Any particular food item to be avoided?
No alteration in its action seen with any food product.
Q. Can I have Modalert when pregnant?
Modalert is not safe for use in pregnant women. It should only be administered when necessary when the benefits outweigh the risks.
Q. Can I have Modalert when feeding a baby?
It is not known whether the ingredients of Modalert are excreted in breast milk or not. Thus it should be used with caution in lactating females.
Q. Can I drive after taking Modalert?
Modalert may cause dizziness and impaired concentrations thus avoid driving and operating heavy machinery while on Modalert.
10Modalert – Composition, Variant and Price– Buyer’s Guide
|Modalert Variants||Modalert Composition||Modalert Price|
Modalert 200 Tablet
|Modalert 100 Tablet||Modafinil (100mg)||Rs. 143|
Buy & Get Minimum 30% Discount: Netmeds | Medlife | Pharmeasy | Myra Medicines
11Substitutes of Modalert
The following are alternative drugs for Modalert:
- Modafil MD
- Manufactured by – Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd
- Price – Rs. 104
- Modafol tablet
- Manufactured by – Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd
- Price – Rs. 95
Storage requirements for Modalert
- Storage at room temperature away from direct light and heat unless mentioned in the package insert.
- Keep medicines away from children and pets.
12FAQs – 10 Important Questions Answered about Modalert
Q. What is Modalert?
Modalert is available in tablet form for oral administration and contains “Modafinil” as its active ingredient. Modalert is used to promote wakefulness in patients suffering from Narcolepsy (chronic sleep disorder) and other sleep disorders like obstructive sleep apnoea.
Q. What are the uses of Modalert?
Modalert is used in the prevention of Narcolepsy, Obstructive sleep apnea, Shift work sleep disorder and Excessive day time sleepiness/ drowsiness.
Q. What are the side effects of Modalert?
Common side effects of Modalert include Headache, Nausea and Trouble sleeping. Other side effects which are less common include Confusion, nervousness, Mood changes, Anxiety, Dizziness and Diarrhoea.
Q. Should Modalert be taken on an empty stomach?
Modalert can be taken empty stomach as well as after food.
Q. Does Modalert make you drowsy?
Yes. It may make you drowsy but the effect usually varies from person to person.
Q. What should be the time gap between the intakes of two Modalert doses?
There should be a time gap of at least 12 hours between two doses of Modalert.
Q. Should I complete the whole cycle of the medicine even if cured?
It should only be administered when needed.
Q. Does Modalert effect my menstrual cycle?
Modalert does not affect your menstrual cycle.
Q. Is Modalert safe for children?
Modalert is not safe for consumption in children.
Q. Are there any symptoms that I should consider before taking Modalert?
Patients with a history of allergy to Modalert and patients with the liver disorder should be taken into consideration before starting Modalert therapy.
Q. Is Modalert legal in India?
Yes, Modalert is legal in India.
Disclaimer – The information provided above is to the best of our research and knowledge. However, you are recommended to consult a physician before consuming the drug.