What is Montek LC?
Used mainly to treat conditions like allergic rhinitis (runny nose, itchy and watery eyes) and asthma. Epistaxis (bleeding from nose) and fatigue at repetitive high doses is the major side effect. It should be totally avoided in case of liver problems or end-stage kidney disease.
Montek LC Composition: Levocetrizine Hydrochloride 5mg + Montelukast Sodium 10mg
Manufactured By: Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd.
Prescription: Required as it comes under schedule ‘H’
Form: Tablets and Syrups.
Price: Rs 149 for 10 tablets.
Expiry/Shelf Life: 24 months from the date of manufacturing
Type of Drug: Antiallergic (antihistaminic + anticholinergic)
Also Read in Hindi About Montek LC
Uses of Montek LC
Montek LC serves a great purpose in the treatment of the following conditions:
- Asthma: Used in the maintenance treatment of mild to moderate Asthma.
- Rhinitis: Used to treat allergic rhinitis with symptoms like runny nose, itching, watery eyes and inflammation of the nasal mucosa
- Urticaria: Used to treat skin rash with red raised itchy protuberances knows as Urticaria.
- Bronchospasm: Used to treat exercise-induced bronchospasm.
- Allergic cases: Used in cases of allergy to dust, pollen grains, and hay fever.
- Others: In patients as adjunct therapy for symptomatic treatment of mastocytosis (mast cells disease)
How does Montek LC work?
- Montek LC contains Levocetrizine and Montelukast as its active ingredient.
- Levocetrizine being anti histaminic in nature blocks the release of histamine which a chemical mediator of the allergic or inflammatory process.
- Montelukast is an anti cholinergic in nature and therefore, blocks the nasal secretion and ophthalmic secretion reversibly and helps in controlling symptoms like runny nose, watery eyes etc.
- Montelukast is also a leukotriene antagonist and helps to reduce the inflammation in the airways and making breathing easy.
What are the effects of Montek LC on organs?
- Montek LC can affect hepatic and renal functions therefore, extra caution or dose modification is required in cases of hepatic or renal impairment.
- Montek LC may affect the CNS (central nervous system) and cause dizziness, fatigue or sleep.
How to take Montek LC?
- Montek LC is usually available in tablet form for use in adults and syrup form for use in kids.
- Montek LC tablet is usually taken by mouth with a glass of water, with or without food as food does not play any role in the absorption of this drug.
- In patients with gastric problems, it is advised to take the drug after food.
- Montek LC tablets should be swallowed as a whole instead of crushing or chewing it.
- It should preferably be consumed before going to bed as it may cause a slight sedative effect.
- If you are taking syrup form of this drug, shake the bottle well before use and a measuring cup should be used to consume the prescribed dose.
- Complete dose as prescribed by the doctor should be taken.
- It is advisable to go through the drug leaflet available in the packet insert.
Common Dosage of Montek LC
- Montek LC dosage can be decided by the doctor for every individual as per Age, Weight, Mental status, Allergic history and Health status of the patient.
- The common Adult dose is single 15 mg tablet once a day (preferably at night)
- For children, a common dose is 5ml of syrup once a day and Montek LC Kid tablet once a day (preferably at night).
- It is safer to consult the pediatrician before administering the pediatric dose.
- Prolonged use or dose alteration should be avoided unless stated otherwise by the doctor.
Q. What happens if I overdose on Montek LC?
An overdose of Montek LC can cause symptoms like drowsiness in adults and initial restlessness followed by drowsiness in children so the dose of the drug should be taken carefully as prescribed by the doctor and Consult the Medical Staff or the doctor immediately in case of Montek LC overdose.
Q. What happens if I miss a dose of Montek LC?
The dose prescribed by the doctor should never be missed and if missed, it should be consumed always as soon as you remember it. But, avoid taking a double dose if it’s already time for the second dose after that as it may lead to an overdose of the drug.
Q. What happens if I eat expired Montek LC?
The expired dose of Montek LC is very unlikely to cause any undesired effect however, the physician should be consulted in case of any sickness or symptoms after consuming an expired medicine. An expired drug is not potent enough to treat the condition and one should avoid consuming the expired drug.
Q. Onset time of Montek LC and till when does the effect of Montek LC stay?
- Montek LC can take 1-2 hours to show its effect after oral administration.
- The time taken by the drug to show its effect may vary with every individual.
Also Read: Mobizox Dosage | Montair LC Dosage | Mintop Dosage
When to Avoid Montek LC?
Do not Consume Montek LC if:
- Liver disorders: In patients having liver problems, Montek LC should be avoided unless stated by the doctor.
- Allergy: In known cases of allergy to Montek LC or any of its ingredients or history of hypersensitivity in the past.
- Kidney diseases: Should be avoided in cases of end-stage renal disease.
- Pregnant women: In cases of pregnancy, it should not be administered unless advised by the doctor.
- Nursing mother: Montek LC should be avoided in lactating/breastfeeding mothers.
Precautions While Taking Montek LC
- Liver or kidney diseases: The drug should not be administered in patients with renal or liver disease without doctor’s consultation.
- Timing: The drug should be consumed at fixed timing, preferably at night to avoid any sedative effect.
- Concomitant medication: The drug should not be used with other antihistamines without proper medical consultation.
- Dose alteration: Consuming a high dose without medical consultation should be avoided to prevent habit formation or sedative effect.
Warnings When Taking Montek LC
- Pregnancy: If one is planning to conceive or pregnant, inform the doctor.
- Sedative effect: Montek LC causes mild sedation in a few cases. Therefore, extra caution is to be used while consuming the drug.
Side-Effects of Montek LC
The side effects associated with Montek LC are:
- Fatigue (common)
- Dry mouth (common)
- Nasopharyngitis (common cold) (Less Common)
- Fever (Less Common)
- Cough (Less Common)
- Epistaxis (bleeding from nose) and diarrhoea may occur in children below 12years of age. (less common)
- Headache (Less Common)
- Rashes (Less Common)
- Eosinophilia (increased number of eosinophils) (Less Common)
- Neuropathy (nerve damage) (rare)
- Churg-strauss syndrome (rare)
- Somnolence (irregular sleeping cycles) (common)
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions to Montek LC?
- A serious allergic reaction to Montek LC is rare.
- In case of allergic reaction with signs like itching, redness, and rashes, immediate medical help should be taken.
- Patients with a known history of allergy to Montek LC or its ingredient are more prone to allergic reactions.
- If the case of an allergic reaction, Patient should consult the doctor immediately and should stop the drug as per the doctor’s advice.
Drug Interactions to be Careful About
It is always advisable to be careful of certain drug to drug or drug to food interactions when consuming Montek LC. Always be aware of the food items, other drugs or lab tests while consuming Montek LC. We explore these n details below.
1. Food Interactions with Montek LC
No particular food item to be avoided.
2. Medicines Interactions with Montek LC
All the potential drug interactions might not be listed here. It is always advisable that the patient must inform the physician about all the drugs/products you use. You must notify the doctor about the herbal products that you are currently consuming. You should never alter the drug regimen without your doctor’s approval.
The common drug interactions have been noticed with the following drugs:
- Alcohol (severe): Alcohol can further lead to increased sedative effect, which could be fatal in some cases.
- Theophylline (moderate)
- Ritonavir (mild)
- Phenytoin (moderate)
- Rifampicin (mild)
3. Effects of Montek LC on Lab Tests
Montek LC can affect the eosinophils count.
4. Montek LC’s interactions with Pre-existing Conditions/Diseases
Any Liver or kidney diseases.
Q. Can I have Montek LC with alcohol?
No, Montek LC can cause dizziness and drowsiness due to its sedative action and consuming alcohol with the drug can worsen the effects. Therefore, it is advised to avoid consuming alcohol while taking Montek LC.
Q. Any particular food item to be avoided?
No particular food item is to be avoided.
Q. Can I have Montek LC when pregnant?
No, avoid taking Montek LC when pregnant and take the drug only if necessary and if the benefits outweigh the risks and the doctor should always be informed in case of pregnancy or plans of conceiving for case-specific recommendations.
Q. Can I have Montek LC when feeding a baby?
No, Montek LC traces have been found in human milk which can affect the baby. Therefore, the doctor should always be informed if you are breastfeeding your child as a precautionary measure.
Q. Can I drive after taking Montek LC?
No, as Montek LC is known to act on the central nervous system causing sleepiness, drowsiness and decreased alertness. Therefore, one should avoid driving or operating heavy machinery
Also Read: Melacare Cream Side Effect | Meprate Side Effect | Nexprord Side Effect
Buyer’s Guide – Montek LC Composition, Variant and Price
|Montek LC Variants||Montek LC Composition||Montek LC Price|
|Montek LC Kid tablet||Montelukast Sodium 4mg + Levocetrizine Hydrochloride 2.5mg||Rs. 89 for 10 tablets|
|Montek LC kid 60ml syrup||Montelukast Sodium 5mg/5ml + Levocetrizine Hydrochloride 2.5mg||Rs. 82 for 1 pack|
|Montek LC tablet||Montelukast Sodium 10 mg + Levocetrizine Hydrochloride 5mg||Rs. 149 for 10 tablets|
Buy & Get Minimum 30% off: Myra Medicine Coupon Code | Pharmeasy Coupon Code
Substitutes of Montek LC
The following are alternative drugs for Montek LC:
- Magnamont L tablet:
- Manufactured by – Lupin Ltd.
- Price – Rs. 101.02
- Odimont LC tablet:
- Manufactured by – German remedies.
- Price – Rs. 172.88
- Odimont AL tablet:
- Manufactured by – German remedies.
- Price – Rs. 190
- Infinair 10mg/5mg tablet:
- Manufactured by – Pfizer Ltd.
- Price – Rs. 77.01
Storage requirements for Montek LC Tablets
- Store the drug protected from light, moisture and direct heat at a temperature below 30OC
- Keep at a place where it is out of reach of children.
FAQs – 10 Questions Answered about Montek LC
Q. What is Montek LC?
Ans. Montek LC is a form of combination drug which contains Levocetrizine and Montelukast as its main active ingredients. Montelukast belongs to the group of anticholinergic drugs whereas Levocetrizine belongs to the group of antiallergics/antihistamines.
Montek LC is used mainly to prevent and treat conditions like allergic rhinitis or mild to asthma.
Q. How effective it is/ How long does it take for Montek LC to show results?
Ans. Montek LC shows its effect within a few hours of administration of the drug.
Q. Should Montek LC be taken on an empty stomach?
Ans. Montek LC can be taken empty stomach but to prevent any potential stomach upset in specific cases, it should be taken with or after food.
Q. Does Montek LC make you drowsy?
Ans. Yes, Montek LC can cause drowsiness/ sleepiness in a few cases but it varies with every individual.
Q. What should be the time gap between the consumption of 2 Montek LC doses?
Ans. The ideal time gap of 10-12 hours should be there between two doses to avoid Montek LC toxicity or overdose.
Q. Should I complete the whole cycle of the medicine even if cured?
Ans. Montek LC should be consumed as prescribed by the doctor and in case of any severity of symptoms, immediate medical help or consultation should be taken.
And the doctor should be the one to decide when and how to stop the cycle of Montek LC.
Q. Does Montek LC effect my menstrual cycle?
Ans. No, it generally doesn’t affect the menstrual cycle but one should always consult the doctor in case of pre-existing menstrual problems before consuming the drug
Q. Is Montek LC safe for children?
Ans. Montek LC should not be administered in children below 6 months without proper consultation and recommendation by the Paediatrician. Variants of same combination drug are present for paediatric use like Montek LC kid syrup and tablet
Q. Are there any symptoms that I should consider before taking Montek LC?
Ans. Any liver disorder, drug intolerance or allergic reactions are to be taken into consideration before taking Montek LC.
Q. Is Montek LC legal in India?
Ans. Yes, it is legal in India.
Disclaimer – The information provided above is to the best of our research and knowledge. However, you are recommended to consult a physician before consuming the drug.