What is Motilium?
- Motilium belongs to group of drugs called as “anti-emetics” which are used to prevent nausea and vomiting.
- The active ingredient of Motilium is “Domperidone” which is available in tablet form for oral administration.
Save using: 1mg Promo Code | Practo Promo Code
Uses of Motilium:
- Fullness of stomach
- Gastroparesis (delayed gastric emptying)
How does Motilium work?
- Motilium works by blocking Dopamine receptors. (Dopamine is chemical released by neurons).
- It increases the intestinal movements and helps the stomach get rid of food quickly thus reducing the symptoms of nausea and vomiting.
How to Take Motilium?
- Motilium tablets are usually well absorbed orally and should be administered 15-30 minutes prior to the meal. Absorption of the drug is delayed if Motilium is taken along with or after meals.
- For ideal results, it should always be taken at a fixed time and at evenly spaced intervals (if taking more than 1 tablet in a day) to maintain certain amount of drug in the body all the time.
Motilium Price in India
|Specification||Motilium Price in India|
|Motilium M Tablet||Rs. 25.3|
Also check out: Fybogel Price | Lopamide Price
Common dosage for Motilium
- The most usually recommended dose of Motilium is one 10mg tablet 30 minutes prior to meals whenever the need be. The maximum dose that can be taken is up to 30mg per day.
- Avoid use of Motilium in children.
- Motilium should be used with caution in elderly patients and those suffering from kidney and liver diseases. Dose adjustment as advised by the physician is advised in such patients.
Read more: Famotin Dosage
When to Avoid Motilium?
Motilium should not be used in:
- Patients allergic to its ingredients.
- Patients suffering from kidney disease or on dialysis.
- Patients suffering from liver diseases
- Patients with gastro-intestinal haemorrhage, intestinal perforation
- Patients with cardiac problems (heart failure, irregular heart rate)
Side-effects of Motilium?
- Side effects are possible but do not always occur in all the patients. Few commonly observed side effects may include:
- Dry mouth
- Breast tenderness
- Skin rash
- Irregular menstrual cycle in females
- Reduced libido
- Lactation disorder
Read more: Jointace Dn Side Effects
Reported Allergic Reactions?
- Although Motilium is used for treatment of nausea and vomiting but an allergic reaction to Motilium might occur (although very rare).
- Possible allergic reactions reported include:
- Itchy skin
- Swelling especially on face, lips & throat
- Difficulty in breathing or swallowing and
- Loss of consciousness.
Effect on organs
- Motilium should be used with caution under medical supervision in patients with risk of cardiac arrest or cardiac arrhythmia (irregular heart beat).
- In patients with moderate to severe liver and kidney disease, Motilium should be used with caution and after dose adjustment by the physician.
- Patients with intestinal disorders like internal bleeding, perforation of stomach or intestine should use this medicine with great caution.
Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
- It is always advised that the patient must inform the physician about all the drugs/over the counter products/vitamin supplements used.
- All the possible drug interactions might not be listed here. Few common drugs which interact with Motilium include:
- Antibiotics like Erythromycin, Levofloxacin
- Anti-fungal like Ketoconazole, Fluconazole
- Using all these medicines along with Motilium can influence the therapeutic effect of these medicines and also can increase the chances of side effects.
Shows Effects / Results In:
- Most patients show decreased severity of symptoms within few hours of administration. Do not take Motilium for longer than 7 days without consulting your doctor.
Storage Requirements for Motilium
- Motilium should be stored away from direct heat and light and at temperature below 40 degrees.
- Keep the medicine away from children and pet.
Pro Tips When Taking Motilium –
- Motilium may affect proper functioning of heart in patients suffering from cardiac arrhythmias (irregular heart beat) and heart failure especially in elderly thus medical supervision is recommended.
- Long term use of Motilium may lead to irregular menstrual cycle and breast tenderness in women and gynecomastia (swollen male breast tissue) in men.
Frequently asked questions
Is Motilium Addictive?
- No such tendency has been reported.
Can I have Motilium with alcohol?
- Interaction of Motilium when administered with alcohol is unknown.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
- Avoid use of alcohol when administering Motilium tablets.
Can I have Motilium When Pregnant?
- Motilium tablets are unsafe to use in pregnancy. The benefits and risks should be discussed prior to administration of Motilium tablets.
Can I have Motilium when feeding a baby?
- It is unknown whether Motilium is excreted in breast milk or not and its effect on fetus. Thus as a precautionary measure, Motilium should be avoided in lactating mothers.
Can I drive after taking Motilium?
- Motilium Tablet usually does not affect your ability to drive. However, few patients might experience dizziness as a side effect. In such cases it should be used with caution while driving and operating heavy machinery.
What happens if I overdose on Motilium?
- Taking more medication or with increased frequency will not improve your symptoms; rather they may cause serious side-effects. Symptoms of over-dosage: convulsions, altered consciousness, disorientation etc.
- In case of over-dosage, consult your doctor immediately.
What happens if I eat expired Motilium?
- It is very unlikely for a single dose of expired Motilium to produce an adverse event. However, an expired drug might not be as potent in treating your condition. It is advisable to refrain from using expired drug.
What happens if I miss a dose of Motilium?
- Always consume the missed dose as soon as you remember it. But, if it is already time to take the second dose after that – do not take double dose.