Skip to Content
- What is MTP kit?
- Uses of MTP Kit
- How does MTP Kit work?
- How to take MTP Kit?
- Common Dosage for MTP Kit
- When to Avoid MTP Kit?
- Precautions While Taking MTP Kit
- Side-Effects of MTP Kit
- Drug Interactions to be Careful About
- 1. Food Interactions with MTP kit
- 2. Medicines Interactions with MTP kit
- 3. Effects of MTP kit on Lab Tests
- 4. MTP’s interactions with Pre-existing Conditions/Diseases
- Q. Can I have a MTP Kit with alcohol?
- Q. Any particular food item to be avoided?
- Q. Can I have MTP Kit when pregnant?
- Q. Can I have MTP Kit when feeding a baby?
- Q. Can I drive after taking MTP Kit?
- Buyer’s Guide – MTP Kit Variants and Price
- Substitutes of MTP Kit
- FAQs – 10 Questions Answered about MTP Kit
- Q. What is MTP Kit?
- Q. How effective it is/ How long does it take for MTP Kit to show results?
- Q. Should MTP Kit be taken on an empty stomach?
- Q. Does MTP Kit make you drowsy?
- Q. Should I complete the whole cycle of the medicine even if cured?
- Q. Does the MTP Kit effect my menstrual cycle?
- Q. Is MTP Kit safe for children?
- Q. Are there any symptoms that I should consider before taking MTP Kit?
- Q. Is MTP Kit legal in India?
- Authored by –
What is MTP kit?
Used mainly for termination of pregnancy (medical abortion). Excessive vaginal and uterine bleeding and uterine contractions are the major side effects. It should be totally avoided in the case of kidney diseases, and in patients with asthma and bleeding disorders.
MTP Kit Composition: Mifepristone 200mg + Misoprostol 200mcg.
Manufactured By: Cipla.
Prescription: Required as it is not available to the general public without medical consultation.
Price: Rs 499 for 1 pack.
Expiry/Shelf Life: 24 months from the date of manufacturing
Type of Drug: Hormonal.
Uses of MTP Kit
MTP Kit is used for the treatment of the following conditions:
- Abortion/ pregnancy termination: Used to abort or medically terminate the pregnancy before two months of pregnancy and it may be used up to 10 weeks in some cases.
- Inducing Menses: Used to induce menses in few cases.
- Inducing labour: used to induce labor in case of death of foetus.
- Others: Used to treat other conditions like breast cancer, gastric and duodenal ulcer and meningioma.
How does MTP Kit work?
- MTP Kit contains Mifepristone and Misoprostol as its main active ingredient.
- Mifepristone acts by blocking progesterone effects.
- Progesterone keeps the womb lining intact in normal pregnancy and prevents uterine contractions until the term of pregnancy.
- Blocking Progesterone leads to rupture of womb lining and uterine contractions, which leads to abortion or termination of pregnancy.
How to take MTP Kit?
- MTP Kit is composed of a single tablet of Mifepristone and 4 tablets of Misoprostol.
- MTP kit is to be used only after gynecological consultation.
- Mifepristone is for oral administration whereas; Misoprostol tablets are for vaginal use.
- MTP Kit is usually available in tablet form only.
- Mifepristone should be consumed after meals to avoid any gastric upset.
- Tablets should never be crushed or chewed.
- It is recommended for a patient to go through the leaflet inside the package thoroughly to have a better understanding about the drug and medical consultation is advisable.
Common Dosage for MTP Kit
- The dosage of the drug is to be decided by the doctor (Gynaecologist) for every individual as per the age, weight, mental status, allergic history and health status of the patient.
- Common dose of MTP Kit is a single Mifepristone orally followed by 4 vaginal misoprostol tablets inserted vaginally 1-3 days later.
Q. What happens if I overdose on MTP Kit?
Overdose of MTP Kit can lead to serious acute symptoms. The doctor should be consulted immediately in case of MTP Kit overdose.
Q. What happens if I miss a dose of MTP Kit?
Immediately consult the Gynaecologist.
Q. What happens if I eat expired MTP Kit?
A single dose of expired MTP Kit is very unlikely to cause an adverse event as it might have lost its efficacy and potency. However, one should abstain from consuming expired drug and the doctor should be immediately consulted if one feels any undesirable symptoms after consuming the expired drug.
Q. Onset time of MTP Kit and till when does the effect of MTP Kit stay?
The time taken by the drug to exhibit desirable effects depends on the condition being treated.
Also Read: Momate Dosage | Ibuprofen Dosage | Doxycycline Dosage
When to Avoid MTP Kit?
Do not Consume MTP Kit Tablets:
- Allergy: In known cases of a history of allergy to MTP Kit or any of its ingredients.
- Ectopic pregnancy: In cases of ectopic pregnancy, in which the fertilization occurs outside the uterus (also known as false pregnancy).
- Above 35 years: In cases of women above the age of 35 years.
- Asthma: In patients with a history or present condition of asthma.
- Blood disorders: In cases of blood disorders like inherited porphyria.
- IUD: In patients with intra uterine devices (IUDs).
- Bleeding/Clotting disorder: In cases of bleeding or clotting disorders.
- Liver/Kidney diseases: In cases of patients with kidney or liver diseases or cases ofliver tumour.
Precautions While Taking MTP Kit
- Allergic Reaction: Any allergic reaction after taking the MTP Kit should be immediately reported to the doctor.
- Avoid Overdosage: Drug overdose should be avoided as it can lead to toxicity.
- Concomitant drug: avoid MTP in patients on concomitant long term therapy of corticosteroids.
- Smokers: Avoid or take extra caution in patients smoking more than 10 cigarettes a day.
Warnings When Taking MTP Kit
- Consuming more than the daily prescribed dose may lead to toxicity or other undesirable effects.
- Follow up visit after 14 days of MTP kit administration is mandatory to confirm termination of pregnancy and assessment of bleeding.
Side-Effects of MTP Kit
The side effects associated with MTP Kit Tablets used for different treatments are:
- Heavy vaginal and uterine bleeding (common)
- Pain in legs (common)
- Diarrhoea (common)
- Abdominal cramps (less common)
- Headache (less common)
- Extreme Tiredness (common)
- Appetite loss (common)
- Dizziness (Common)
- Nausea (Less common)
- Weakness (common)
- Abdominal pain (Less common)
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions to MTP Kit?
Possible allergic reactions reported for MTP Kit tablets are:
- Rashes (less common)
- Swelling of eyelids, face, lips, mouth or tongue (less common)
- Breathlessness. (less common)
What are the effects of MTP Kit on organs?
Doctor should be consulted before taking MTP Kit if one is suffering from liver and kidney diseases.
Drug Interactions to be Careful About
One needs to be careful of certain drug interactions when consuming MTP Kit. These may span from certain food items to other medicines to some tests which should not be taken right after consuming MTP Kit. We explore these n details below.
1. Food Interactions with MTP kit
No particular food item to be avoided.
2. Medicines Interactions with MTP kit
All the possible drug interactions might not be listed here. It is always advised that the patient must inform the physician about of all the drugs/products you use. You must also inform about the herbal products that you are consuming. You must not modify the drug regimen without your doctor’s approval.
The common drug interactions have been noticed with the following drugs:
- Antifungals (mild)
- Antibiotics (moderate)
- Rifampicin (mild)
- Dexamethasone (moderate)
- Anticonvulsants (mild)
3. Effects of MTP kit on Lab Tests
MTP Kit does not affect any lab tests as such.
4. MTP’s interactions with Pre-existing Conditions/Diseases
Any kidney diseases or bleeding disorders should be taken into consideration.
Q. Can I have a MTP Kit with alcohol?
No. There is an increased risk of side effects with alcohol so, alcohol should be avoided. The consulting physician should be informed if you’re consuming alcohol.
Q. Any particular food item to be avoided?
No particular food item needs to be avoided.
Q. Can I have MTP Kit when pregnant?
MTP Kit is indicated for medical abortion or termination of pregnancy.
Q. Can I have MTP Kit when feeding a baby?
No, MTP Kit is not recommended for lactating mother. The doctor should always be informed if you are breastfeeding your child.
Q. Can I drive after taking MTP Kit?
No, MTP kit can cause tiredness, dizziness. Therefore, one should avoid driving if any dizziness or drowsiness occurs.
Buyer’s Guide – MTP Kit Variants and Price
|MTP Kit||Mifepristone (200mg) + Misoprostol (200mcg)||Rs. 499|
Buy & Get Minimum 20% Discount: Practo
Substitutes of MTP Kit
The following are alternative drugs for MTP Kit:
- Herwont kit:
- Manufactured by – Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd.
- Price – Rs. 510
Storage requirements for MTP Kit Tablets
- MTP Kit Tablet should be stored in a cool, moisture-free place at temperature below 25o C
- Drug should be kept out of children’s reach.
Also Read: Ceftriaxone Price | Cmoxicillin Price
FAQs – 10 Questions Answered about MTP Kit
Q. What is MTP Kit?
Ans. MTP Kit is a combinational drug containing Mifepristone and Misoprostol. It is used for medical termination of pregnancy (abortion).
Q. How effective it is/ How long does it take for MTP Kit to show results?
Ans. MTP Kit tablet shows effect depending on the condition being treated. Follow up after 14 days of administering the MTP kit is mandatory to confirm medical termination of pregnancy.
Q. Should MTP Kit be taken on an empty stomach?
Ans. MTP Kit should not be taken empty stomach especially in patients with pre existing gastric problems.
Q. Does MTP Kit make you drowsy?
Ans. MTP Kit may cause drowsiness in few cases but it varies with every individual.
Q. Should I complete the whole cycle of the medicine even if cured?
Ans. MTP Kit should never be stopped in between the cycle without consulting with the doctor.
The doctor should be the one to decide when and how to stop the cycle of MTP Kit.
Q. Does the MTP Kit effect my menstrual cycle?
Ans. Yes, it does affect the menstrual cycle. Always consult the doctor in case of pre existing menstrual problems before consuming the drug
Q. Is MTP Kit safe for children?
Ans. MTP Kit is not indicated for children.
Q. Are there any symptoms that I should consider before taking MTP Kit?
Ans. Any liver problems, bleeding disorders and allergic reactions are to be taken into consideration before taking MTP Kit
Q. Is MTP Kit legal in India?
Ans. No, it has been banned in India.
Disclaimer – The information provided above is to the best of our research and knowledge. However, you are recommended to consult a physician before consuming the drug.