Mucain Composition – Oxetacaine / Oxethazaine (10mg/5ml) + Aluminium Hydroxide (0.291mg/5ml) + Milk Of Magnesia (98mg/5ml)
Manufactured By – Pfizer Ltd
Prescription – Prescription Required
Form – Gel
Price – Rs 137.76
Quantity – 200 ml in 1 bottle
What is Mucain Gel?
Mucain Gel belongs primarily to “antacid” group of drugs used for the treatment of acidity, heartburn, stomach ulcers. It is a fixed-dose combination of oxetacaine, aluminium hydroxide, magnesium hydroxide.
Buy & Get Minimum 20% Discount: Myra Medicines | Netmeds
Mucain Gel Uses
Mucain Gel is a drug of choice for prevention, treatment, and control of:
- Acid reflux disease
- Pain due to anal fissure
- Swollen anus
- Stomach ulcer
- Drug-induced gastric irritation
- Mucain gel can also be used for purposes not mentioned above
Mucain Gel Composition
5ml of Mucain Gel syrup contains:
- Oxetacaine/ Oxethazaine – 10mg
- Aluminium hydroxide – 291 mg
- Milk of magnesia – 98mg
- Sodium benzoate – 0.45%
- Benzoic acid – 0.05%
How does Mucain Gel work?
- Oxethazaine is a potent topical anaesthetic which is capable of anesthetizing gastric mucosa despite the acidity of the medium.
- Aluminium hydroxide and magnesium hydroxide are both antacids which neutralize gastric (acidic) secretions and raise pH of gastric contents however they have no effect on acid production.
- Oxethazaine and antacids when swollen together give symptomatic relief in gastritis, heartburn, peptic ulcer disease etc.
Mucain Gel Price in India
|Specifics||Mucain Gel Price|
|200 ml Oral Gel||Rs 137.76|
|350 ml Oral Gel||Rs 171.6|
How to Take Mucain Gel?
- Take Mucain Gel in the dose and duration as advised by your doctor. Do not take more or less than the recommended dose.
- Mucain Gel syrup can be taken empty stomach or few minutes after the meal or as advised.
- Always use a measuring cup for accurate dose measurement. Shake the contents of the bottle well before each use.
- Mucain gel suspension should be taken without diluting it with water.
- If using as an over the counter product, read all the instructions carefully before using it.
Common Dosage for Mucain Gel?
- The recommended adult oral dose is 5ml taken two to three times a day depending upon the severity of symptoms.
- The maximum oral dose may decrease overtime following adequate control of symptoms.
- In case of non-improvement of symptoms or symptoms getting worse, seek medical attention immediately.
Other medicine's Dosage: Mox Dosage | Mucolite Dosage | Ibuvon Dosage
When to Avoid Mucain Gel?
Mucain Gel should be avoided or used with caution in:
- Allergy to any of its components
- Patients with severe liver and kidney disease (consult your physician in such case)
- Appendicitis patients
- Hypophosphataemia patients
- Patients on tetracycline antibiotic
Side Effects of Mucain Gel?
Although Mucain Gel syrup is well absorbed orally, few commonly observed side include:
- Abdominal pain
- Diarrhea (magnesium-containing antacids)
- Constipation (aluminium containing antacids)
In addition, it may also cause some allergic or unwanted effects. In such cases, seek medical attention immediately.
Also Read: kenacort Side Effect | krimson Side Effect | Monticope Side Effect
Are There Any Effects of Mucain Gel on Organs?
Patients with severe liver and kidney disease should use Mucain Gel syrup with caution. Dose adjustment might be needed in a few cases.
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions?
Report to your doctor if you are allergic to any of the ingredients of Mucain Gel. Signs of allergic reaction include:
- Rashes/itching of the skin
- Shortness of breath
- Swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat
- Loss of consciousness
Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
Drug interaction refers to the effect of drugs on one another and on human body following ingestion. Large numbers of medicines have shown some interaction when taken along with some other drug, resulting in decreased therapeutic effect and increased chances of side effects.
It is always advised that the patient must inform the physician about all the drugs/over the counter products/vitamin supplements being used along with Mucain Gel tablet. All the possible drug interactions might not be listed here. Mucain Gel may interact with the following drugs and products:
Shows Effects / Results In
After oral administration of Mucain syrup, the peak effect is seen within 1 hour after dosing.
Is Mucain Gel addictive?
No such tendency has been reported.
Can I have Mucain Gel with alcohol?
Concomitant use of Mucain gel syrup and alcohol should be avoided as it might increase the risk of adverse effects like drowsiness, sedation etc.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
No such interaction with any food items observed.
Can I have Mucain Gel when pregnant?
- Safety in pregnancy has not been established. Mucain gel should only be taken if the benefits outweigh the risk associated.
- Always inform your doctor if you are pregnant.
Can I have Mucain Gel when feeding a baby?
- Safety of Mucain Gel is not known while you are breastfeeding your baby.
- Always inform and consult your doctor if you are breastfeeding your child.
Can I drive after taking Mucain Gel?
- Mucain Gel doesn’t usually affect your ability to drive.
- However few patients on Mucain Gel may experience side effects like drowsiness and dizziness.
- Caution must be exercised in such patients when driving or operating heavy machinery.
What happens if I overdose on Mucain Gel?
- It should not be administered in more than recommended dose as it may have deleterious effects.
- If anyone is suspected of an over-dosage, seek medical care immediately.
What happens if I take expired Mucain Gel?
- Taking a single expired dose may not cause any major adverse effect. However, the potency of the medicine may well have been reduced.
- To be on the safer side, always check and never use an expired drug.
What happens if I miss a dose of Mucain Gel?
Always consume the missed dose as soon as you remember it. But, if it’s already time for the second dose- do not take double the dose.
Storage Requirements for Mucain Gel
- Stored at room temperature away from direct sunlight and heat.
- Keep medicines away from children and pets.
Pro Tips When Taking Mucain Gel
Hypophosphataemia may occur with prolonged administration of Mucain Gel. Lab tests monitoring serum phosphate levels should be done for checking phosphate levels.
Also Read: Deflazocort | Itchguard