Mulethi or Licorice is a plant that grows in Southwestern Europe. The root of this plant is popularly used as a medicine in Ayurveda. It is woody in appearance and bitter to taste. Read on to find out the benefits if Mulethi for health.
You can also read the benefits and uses of - Besan
|Khadi Omorose Licorice (Mulethi ) Powder – 100 g||Rs 185|
|Indus Valley Natural Pure Mulethi Powder – 100 g||Rs 175|
Benefits of Mulethi for Health
1. Curing Cough & Cold
One of the most popular benefits of mulethi is curing coughs and cold. Its antibacterial properties ensure that disease causing germs are expelled from the body.According to an article by Dr. Josh Axe, DNM, DC, CNS, the demulcent properties of mulethi provide fast relief from cough.
2. Relieves Gastrointestinal Disorders
According to a research published in Evidence-based Complementary and Alternative Medicine mulethi extracts fight against functional dyspepsia which includes nausea and heartburn.It can increase mucus production in the stomach and coats the stomach lining. This soothes the stomach and prevents acid reflux, heartburn, indigestion and stomach cramps.
3. Aids Treatment of Cancer
The polyphenols present in mulethi can cause cancer cell death thereby increasing the effect of treatment. It is especially beneficial in the treatment of prostate cancer.
4. Increases Effects of Diabetes Treatment
Glabridin and Amorfutin present in mulethi work wonders on blood sugar. Paired with treatment, it can control diabetes and blood sugar.
5. Promotes Healthy Weight
Mulethi is loaded with fibre which helps the body feel full. In turn, it helps you eat less overall calories and maintain a healthy weight. It also cuts abdominal fat due to presence of flavonoids.
7. Relieves Muscle Cramps
Anti-spasmodic and anti-inflammatory characteristics of mulethi help relieving muscle spasms and cramps.
8. Improves Fertility
Mulethi is known to improve sperm count and motility making it a fertility booster. It also enhances libido.
Uses of Mulethi for Skin
- Mulethi gel is used to brighten skin
- Reduces benefits and dark spots when applied as a face pack with coconut oil
- Tea made with mulethi can help treat various skin diseases like eczema, psoriasis and rashes
- Can be used to hydrate skin if used as a face pack with rose water
Uses of Mulethi for Hair
- Flavanoids enhance scalp health
- It makes hair stronger and lustrous
- Drinking mulethi tea can help with premature balding
You may also want to read - Aloe Vera Uses
Mulethi Nutritional Value
|Nutrients||Amount Per Serving(100g)||Value Per Serving|
Dosage of Mulethi: How Much of it is Safe to Consume?
- 6 gms per day
- Do not exceed consumptions beyond 4 weeks at a time
Side Effects of Mulethi
- Can increase blood pressure
- Can lower potassium levels in the body
- Over consumption can lead to kidney disease
- Can increase estrogen production in the body
- Unsafe during pregnancy and breastfeeding
Also Read - Brahmi Effects | Baidyanath Gokshuradi Guggulu Side Effects
Brands That Manufacture Mulethi
- Urban Platter
Where To Buy Mulethi