Skip to Content
- What is Mustard Oil?
- Health Benefits of Mustard Oil
- Benefits of Mustard Oil for Your Skin
- Benefits of Mustard Oil For Your Hair
- Other Uses of Mustard Oil
- Mustard Oil Dosage
- Side Effects of Mustard Oil
- Buyers Guide: Buying Mustard Oil
What is Mustard Oil?
Mustard oil is extracted from the seeds of the mustard plant. It is used in cooking and has medicinal and therapeutic benefits as well. It is usually dark yellowish in color and has a strong smell.
Mustard was first grown in India almost 5,000 years ago. It has been popularly used in India, Rome and Greece.
Also Read: Benefits of Rosemary Oil
Health Benefits of Mustard Oil
May Reduce Risk of Cancer
Mustard oil contains fatty acids that help prevent stomach and colon cancers. In fact, a study found that mustard oil is more effective in fighting colon cancer than fish oil.
Promotes A Healthy Heart
Mustard oil has a lot of ‘good’ fats (monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fatty acids). These good fats significantly reduce the risk of heart diseases. It also reduces bad cholesterol and increases good cholesterol. This reduces the risk of cardiovascular diseases in the body.
Relieves Cold and Cough
Mustard oil has a pungent smell that can be used to cure cold and cough. It also has heating properties that can clear up congestion. Furthermore, you can add mustard oil to boiling water and take steam with it.
Eases Joint Pain
Mustard oil has a lot of Omega-3 fatty acids that have anti-inflammatory properties. Massaging your joints with mustard oil can reduce pain in them.
Increases Blood Circulation
Massaging your body with mustard oil can increase blood circulation. This contributes towards better functioning of the organs.
Helps Fight Bacterial Infections & Fungal Diseases
Mustard oil has anti-fungal, anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. These help prevent various diseases caused by inflammation, bacteria and fungus. Hence, mustard oil can play a vital role in keeping you healthy.
Benefits of Mustard Oil for Your Skin
Mustard oil has various benefits for your skin. You can add it to a variety of masks and other oils. Applying them on your skin can have the following benefits:
- Reduced tan and dark spots
- Lightens skin tone
- Protects from UV radiation
- Treats rashes and infections
- Has anti-aging effects
How To Use Mustard Oil For Skin
- Mix equal parts of mustard and coconut oils
- Massage your skin with this
- Make a paste with mustard oil, chickpea flour, 1 teaspoon of yogurt and few drops of lemon juice
- Apply this on your face
- Wait 10-15 minutes before washing it off with cold water
Benefits of Mustard Oil For Your Hair
A mixture of curd and mustard oil can do a lot for your hair. These are the benefits of applying mustard oil on your hair:
- Stimulates hair growth and blood circulation in your scalp
- Retains hair pigment and prevent premature greying of your hair
- Gets rid of dandruff and itchy scalp
- Makes your hair stronger
Other Uses of Mustard Oil
- Cooking food
- Aid beard growth
- Boost brain function
- Whiten teeth
- Repel insects
Mustard Oil Dosage
1 – 2 grams of mustard oil is the recommended daily dosage. However, there is not enough research to recommend how much mustard oil is good for your body.
Side Effects of Mustard Oil
Mustard oil can have some side effects. Here is a list of some common ones:
- May cause Anemia
- Can cause miscarriage
- Might trigger allergic reactions
- Contains erucic acid which is toxic
- Increases lung cancer risk
- Can lead to dropsy
It is best to avoid cooking with mustard oil. You can safely use it for its therapeutic benefits.
Buyers Guide: Buying Mustard Oil
Where To Buy?
These are some popular online retailers that sell mustard oil:
Popular Mustard Oil Brands
- Organic India