Table of Contents
- What is N-acetylcysteine?
- Uses of N-Acetylcysteine
- How Does N-Acetylcysteine Work?
- How to Take N-Acetylcysteine?
- N-Acetylcysteine Price In India
- Common Dosage for N-Acetylcysteine?
- When to Avoid N-Acetylcysteine?
- Side Effects of N-Acetylcysteine
- Effects of N-Acetylcysteine on Organs?
- Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions?
- Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
- Effects/Results After Consuming N-acetylcysteine
- Is N-Acetylcysteine addictive?
- Can I have N-Acetylcysteine with alcohol?
- Any particular food item to be avoided?
- Can I have N-Acetylcysteine when pregnant?
- Can I have N-Acetylcysteine when feeding a baby?
- Can I drive after taking N-Acetylcysteine?
- What happens if I overdose on N-Acetylcysteine?
- What happens if I eat expired N-Acetylcysteine?
- What happens if I miss a dose of N-Acetylcysteine?
- Storage Requirements
- Pro Tips When Taking N-Acetylcysteine
N Acetylcysteine Composition – Taurine (500mg) + Acetylcysteine (150mg)
Manufactured By – Fourrts India Laboratories Pvt Ltd
Prescription – Prescription Required
Form – Tablet
Price – Rs 155
Quantity – 15 tablets in 1 strip
What is N-acetylcysteine?
N-acetylcysteine is a mucolytic agent which is mainly used to reduce mucus accumulation in your airways.
Uses of N-Acetylcysteine
N-acetylcysteine is used in the treatment of:
- Chronic bronchitis
- Hay fever
- Carbon monoxide poisoning
- Acetaminophen poisoning
- Chest pain
- Bile duct blockage in infants
- Preventing alcoholic liver damage
Also Read: Remeron Uses | Renvela Uses |Rifampin Uses
How Does N-Acetylcysteine Work?
When there is excess mucus accumulation in the body, N-acetylcysteine acts by dissolving the bonds which hold mucus together thereby loosening the mucus. This results in mucus going out of the body easily and improving your breathing ability. N-acetylcysteine also works as an antidote in certain types of poisoning.
How to Take N-Acetylcysteine?
- N-acetylcysteine must not be chewed, crushed or break while taking it.
- It must be dissolved in a glass of water and drink the solution.
- You may consume N-acetylcysteine on an empty or full stomach.
- If you are prescribed with inhaler form of drug them breathe in this drug.
N-Acetylcysteine Price In India
|Strip of 10*10 Tablets||Rs 880|
Also Read: Ranexa Price | Olanzapine Price | Pyrazinamide Price
Common Dosage for N-Acetylcysteine?
N-acetylcysteine is generally prescribed once or twice daily. Your doctor may alter your dosage and its frequency depending upon the severity of your condition.
When to Avoid N-Acetylcysteine?
Avoid N-acetylcysteine if:
- You are allergic to any component of N-acetylcysteine
- You have a bleeding disorder
- You are about to undergo a surgery
- You have liver impairment
Side Effects of N-Acetylcysteine
Some of the reported side effects of N-acetylcysteine are:
- Stomach upset
- Blood pressure lowering
- Runny nose
- Liver impairment
Also Read: Nasonex Side Effect
Effects of N-Acetylcysteine on Organs?
Long-term use of N-acetylcysteine is not safe for the patients with kidney and liver disease. Your doctor may adjust your dose as per your requirement.
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions?
Some of the common allergic reactions reported with N-acetylcysteine are hives, difficulty breathing, and swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
One needs to be careful of the following drug interactions when consuming N-acetylcysteine:
- Activated charcoal
Effects/Results After Consuming N-acetylcysteine
The effect of N-acetylcysteine can be observed within 30 minutes to 1 hour of administration. Your disease symptoms will start to improve after taking this medication.
Things to Know About N-acetylcysteine
Is N-Acetylcysteine addictive?
N-acetylcysteine is not addictive in nature
Can I have N-Acetylcysteine with alcohol?
It is better to avoid alcohol when on N-acetylcysteine. Consult your doctor about limiting alcohol with this medication. Co-consumption of alcohol with N-acetylcysteine causes excessive sleepiness and drowsiness.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
You must consult your doctor regarding the foods to be avoided.
Can I have N-Acetylcysteine when pregnant?
In most cases, it is not safe to take N-acetylcysteine if you are pregnant or planning a pregnancy. Consult your doctor if it is absolutely necessary to take this medication.
Can I have N-Acetylcysteine when feeding a baby?
N-acetylcysteine is known to pass in mother’s milk to the baby. Consult your doctor if it is absolutely necessary to take this medication while you are breastfeeding.
Can I drive after taking N-Acetylcysteine?
It is generally safe to drive while taking N-acetylcysteine. However, if you experience drowsiness, dizziness, a headache or any side effect that alters your consciousness then it may not be safe to drive.
What happens if I overdose on N-Acetylcysteine?
An overdose of N-acetylcysteine will not improve your symptoms. It may even cause serious side-effects like stomach pain, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Consult your doctor immediately in case of overdose.
What happens if I eat expired N-Acetylcysteine?
If by mistake you consume a dose of expired N-acetylcysteine, the chances of harm are very less. It is advised to check the label for expiry date always before use.
What happens if I miss a dose of N-Acetylcysteine?
As soon as you remember to take the missed dose. However, if it is already time for next dose, carry on with your regular schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for the missed dose.
- Always store N-acetylcysteine at a temperature around 25 degree Celsius
- Storing in moisture-prone places like bathroom may damage the tablet
- Keep this medicine away from direct heat and sunlight
- Store it where your children and pets can’t reach
Pro Tips When Taking N-Acetylcysteine
- Do not try to self-adjust the dose. Take it in the quantity prescribed by your doctor.
- Do not share your medication with anyone even if they have a similar condition.
- Discuss the pros and cons of N-acetylcysteine if you are pregnant or planning a pregnancy or if you are breastfeeding.
- You must drink a lot of fluids while on this medication.
- Your doctor must know your complete medical history before prescribing N-acetylcysteine.