Skip to Content
- What is Naloxone?
- Uses of Naloxone
- How Does Naloxone Work?
- How to Take Naloxone?
- Naloxone Price in India
- Common Dosage for Naloxone
- Precautions – When to Avoid Naloxone?
- Side-Effects of Naloxone
- Effects of Naloxone on Organs
- Drug Interactions to be Careful About
- Effects/Results after Consuming Naloxone
- Storage Requirements about Naloxone
- Pro Tips When Taking Naloxone
- FAQs – Things to Know About Naloxone
- Is Naloxone addictive?
- Can I have Naloxone with alcohol?
- Any particular food item to be avoided?
- Can I have Naloxone when pregnant?
- Can I have Naloxone when feeding a baby?
- Can I drive after taking Naloxone?
- What happens if I overdose on Naloxone?
- What happens if I eat expired Naloxone?
- What happens if I miss a dose of Naloxone?
- When Was Naloxone Made?
What is Naloxone?
Naloxone is sold under the brand name Narcan. It is a medication used to block the opioid effects due to overdose. Naloxone is a non-selective and competitive opioid receptor antagonist.
Manufactured By – Samarth Life Sciences Pvt Ltd
Buy & Get Minimum 30% Discount: Pharmeasy Discount Code | 1Mg.Com Offers
Uses of Naloxone
- Naloxone is used to reduce respiratory and mental depression.
- It also reduces the rate of deaths.
- Naloxone is used to prevent opioid abuse.
How Does Naloxone Work?
Naloxone causes the blockage of effects of naloxone and reverses an overdose which causes irregular breathing.
How to Take Naloxone?
Use an intramuscular needle and pop off the orange vial. Draw 1mL of Naloxone into the syringe and inject it into the body.
Naloxone Price in India
|Naloxone (Volume of 10)||Rs 78.00|
Also read about other medicine's: Paroxetine Price | Percocet Price
Common Dosage for Naloxone
- The dosage is different for different conditions. So it is safe to consult the doctor before taking the dosage.
- For opioid overdose, the initial dose is 0.4 to 2mg IV
- For reversal of opioid, it is about 0.1 and 0.2 mg IV between 2 and 3 minutes intervals
Precautions – When to Avoid Naloxone?
While taking Naloxone you should follow the following steps:
- Don’t delay or miss a scheduled meal or snack
- Don’t take Naloxone along with other certain medications.
- Avoid consuming alcohol for initial days while taking this drug.
Side-Effects of Naloxone
Some common side effects of Naloxone are:
- Body pain
- Stomach pain
- Pulmonary oedema
- Shortness of breath
- Low or high blood pressure
- Cardiac arrest
Effects of Naloxone on Organs
Long-term usage of Naloxone may cause renal damage in kidneys.
Drug Interactions to be Careful About
Drugs like antacids will decrease the absorption of Naloxone. The other drugs which are known for interactions are:
- cancer medication,
- heart or blood pressure medications,
- birth control pills, etc.
Effects/Results after Consuming Naloxone
Naloxone will show its effect within a few minutes and lasts for up to 1 hour.
Storage Requirements about Naloxone
Naloxone can be stored in a closed container at room temperature away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
Pro Tips When Taking Naloxone
- Naloxone should be taken in the prescribed dosage and one must only increase the dosage when the physician prescribes it.
- Do not abruptly stop taking this drug as it may cause negative effects on the body.
- Avoid alcohol while taking Naloxone.
FAQs – Things to Know About Naloxone
Is Naloxone addictive?
No, Naloxone is not addictive.
Can I have Naloxone with alcohol?
No. Having Naloxone with alcohol will cause serious effects.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
Can I have Naloxone when pregnant?
No, Naloxone is not recommended during pregnancy as it causes damage in foetus and mother.
Can I have Naloxone when feeding a baby?
There are no side effects reported in the baby even though it is passed through breast milk.
Can I drive after taking Naloxone?
No. Naloxone can cause drowsiness.
What happens if I overdose on Naloxone?
An overdose on Naloxone would cause dizziness, chest pain, light-headedness, seizure, decreased heartbeat, nausea, etc.
What happens if I eat expired Naloxone?
It will not be effective but sometimes it may causes changes in eye sight.
What happens if I miss a dose of Naloxone?
If you miss a dose of Naloxone take it as soon as you remember it within the next 12 hours. If you don’t, then just go back to your regular dosage.
When Was Naloxone Made?
Naloxone was made in the year 1961.
Also read about other medicine's: Naprosyn