What is Neurontin?
Neurontin contains Gabapentin as its active ingredient.
Manufactured By – Medsol India Overseas Pvt Ltd
Other variants and compositions
|Neuronti 300Mg Capsule||Gabapentin 300 MG|
|Neuronti 400Mg Capsule||Gabapentin 400 MG|
|Neurotin Plus Tablet / M Tablet||Gabapentin 300 MG+Methylcobalamin 500 MCG|
|Neurotin P Capsule||Methylcobalamin 750 MCG+Pregabalin 75 MG|
|Neurotin Nt Tablet||Nortriptyline 10 MG+Pregabalin 75 MG|
Buy & Get Minimum 20% Discount: 1Mg Offers | Medlife Offers
Uses of Neurontin
Neurontin (Gabapentin) can be used in the prevention, control, and treatment of the following diseases:
- Post herpetic neuralgia (severe nerve pain following viral attack)
- Adjuvant therapy in the treatment of epilepsy (seizures)
- Trigeminal neuralgia
Neurontin can also be used for purposes not mentioned above.
Also Read: Keppra Uses
How does Neurontin work?
Gabapentin present in Neurontin modulates the activity of calcium channels in nerve cells thereby reducing the intensity of pain.
How to Take Neurontin?
- The dosage and duration of treatment with Neurontin are based on your age, physical health, and response to therapy. Do not start Neurontin without a doctor’s consent.
- Food has a very slight effect on the absorption of Neurontin (Gabapentin), thus it can be taken with or without food or as advised.
- For ideal results, it should always be taken at a fixed time preferably at bedtime.
- The tablet should be swallowed as a whole without crushing, chewing or breaking it along with plenty of fluids.
- The medicine should not be stopped on your own without a doctor’s consent or before the complete course.
- If it is taken as over the counter product, check the label for directions before use.
Neurontin Price In India
|300 mg Strip of 10 Capsules||Rs 312.87|
Also Read: Lovenox Price | Methocarbamol Price
Common Dosage for Neurontin?
- Neurontin (Gabapentin) should always be administered in the dose and form as prescribed by your physician.
- The initial recommended dose in adults is 300 mg per day. Your doctor will gradually build up your dose. The dose can be increased up to 1200mg per day in divided doses based on your condition.
- Patients suffering from kidney disease or undergoing haemodialysis, the dosage might be reduced or altered as advised by your doctor.
- Continue taking Neurontin unless your doctor tells you to stop.
- In case if your condition does not improve or worsens, discontinue the drug and inform your doctor.
When to Avoid Neurontin (Gabapentin)?
Neurontin should be avoided or used with caution in:
- Patients with allergy to any of its components
- Pregnant and lactating females
- Patients with kidney disease
- Patients undergoing haemodialysis
- Patients with nervous system disorder
- Cardiac arrhythmia and acute myocardial infarction patients
Side-effects of Neurontin?
In addition to its intended uses, Gabapentin NT may cause few undesirable side effects which may include:
- Muscle tremor
- Vision disturbances,
- Leg swelling,
- Memory loss,
- Mood changes or hallucinations
- Weight gain
- Increased appetite
- Increased heart rate
- Low white blood cell counts
In addition, it may cause some other allergic or unwanted effects. In such cases, seek medical attention immediately.
Effect on organs?
- Neurontin (Gabapentin) may affect the central nervous system and can produce a variety of effects including dizziness, fatigue, sedation, confusion etc.
- Patients with severe kidney disease should use Neurontin with caution and under the supervision of a doctor.
Reported Allergic Reactions?
Allergic reactions with Neurontin (Gabapentin) have been reported. Inform your doctor if you are allergic to any of its ingredients. Signs of allergic reaction include:
- Rashes/itching of the skin
- Shortness of breath
- Swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat
- Loss of consciousness
Drug Interactions to Be Careful About?
Drug interactions refer to the effect of drugs on each other and on the human body after ingestion. There are large numbers of medicines which have shown to interact with each other. It is always advisable that the patient must inform the doctor about all the drugs/over the counter products/vitamin supplements used while using Neurontin. All the possible drug interactions might not be listed here. Few important drugs which interact with Neurontin (Gabapentin) are listed below:
- Valproic acid
- Oral contraceptives
- Antacids containing magnesium/aluminum hydroxide – Time duration of two hours must be kept between antacids and Neurontin intake.
Using all these products along with Neurontin can influence the therapeutic effect of these medicines and also can increase the chances of side effects. Thus dose alteration or drug replacement might be needed when Neurontin is taken along with these drugs.
Shows Effects / Results In?
Neurontin (Gabapentin) starts showing its effect within 24 hours by reducing the pain. However, a complete dose prescribed by your doctor must be taken for a complete cessation of symptoms from your body.
Is Neurontin addictive?
No habit forming tendency has been reported. However, over-dependence on these medicines should be avoided.
Can I have Neurontin (Gabapentin) with alcohol?
- Consumption of alcohol is not recommended when on Neurontin therapy as it may increase the risk of adverse effects like dizziness, sedation.
- It is best not to drink alcohol when on Neurontin.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
No alteration in its action seen with any food product.
Can I have Neurontin when pregnant?
- Neurontin (Gabapentin) is not recommended during pregnancy unless the benefits outweigh the potentially harmful effects.
- Consult your doctor in case if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant for case-specific recommendations.
Can I have Neurontin when feeding a baby?
- Neurontin is not recommended for use while you are breastfeeding as the drug may pass into breast milk and may harm the foetus.
- Consult your doctor for case-specific recommendations.
Can I drive after taking Neurontin (Gabapentin)?
- Neurontin intake is associated with a majority of CNS side effects like dizziness, sedation, decreased alertness, vertigo, blurred vision etc.
- Therefore it may not be advisable to drive a vehicle and operate heavy machinery while on this medication.
What happens if I overdose on Neurontin?
- Neurontin (Gabapentin) should never be administered in more than prescribed dose.
- Taking more medication or with increased frequency may cause serious side-effects like dizziness, blurred vision, slurred speech and loss of consciousness.
- If suspected of an over-dosage, seek medical care immediately.
What happens if I take expired Neurontin?
- A single dose of expired Neurontin may not cause any major adverse effect. However, the potency of the medicine may well have decreased over time.
- Please inform your physician regarding the same if expired medicines have been taken chronically for a longer duration.
What happens if I miss a dose of Neurontin (Gabapentin)?
- The medicine may not work well if you miss a dose because a certain amount of drug must be present in your body at all times for its effective working,
- If you forgot to take a dose, take it as soon as you remember. But, if it’s already time to take the second dose – do not take a double dose.
Storage of Neurontin (Gabapentin)
Store at a cool and dry place away from direct heat and moisture.
Do not freeze the medicine.
Keep medicines away from children and pets.
Pro Tips When Taking Neurontin (Gabapentin)
This medicine should not be stopped without a doctor’s consent. Even if it has to stop, it should be stopped gradually and not suddenly as this may increase the risk of adverse effects like seizures.