Table of Contents
- What is Nexpro RD 40?
- Uses of Nexpro RD 40
- How does Nexpro RD 40 work?
- How to take Nexpro RD 40?
- Common Dosage for Nexpro RD 40
- When to Avoid Nexpro RD 40?
- Precautions While Taking Nexpro RD 40
- Side-Effects of Nexpro RD 40
- Drug Interactions to be Careful About
- Buyer’s Guide – Nexpro RD 40 Composition, Variant and Price
- Substitutes of Nexpro RD 40
- FAQs – 10 Questions Answered about Nexpro RD 40
- Authored by –
1What is Nexpro RD 40?
Used predominantly to prevent or treat acidity, heartburn, nausea and vomiting. Constipation and Restlessness are the side effects at repetitive high doses. It should be totally avoided in case of Gastric bleeding and in patients with allergic history.
Nexpro RD 40 Composition: Esomeprazole 40mg + Domperidone 30mg
Manufactured by: Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd.
Prescription: To be sold by prescription but it is also available as OTC (Over the counter)
Form: Tablets, Capsules, sachets and Injections
Price: Rs 135.20 for 10 Tablets.
Expiry/Shelf Life: 24 months from the date of manufacturing
Type of Drug: Antiemetic and Proton pump inhibitor.
2Uses of Nexpro RD 40
Nexpro RD 40 is used in the prevention and treatment of the following conditions:
- Regurgitation: Used in cases of regurgitation as it prevents the acidic content of the stomach from flowing backward into the esophagus.
- Motion sickness: Used in cases of Motion sickness as it contains Domperidone that acts as an antiemetic and controls the vomiting centre in the brain.
- Gastric Ulcer: Used to treat gastric ulcer.
- Nausea & Vomiting: Used to prevent or treat Nausea and vomiting as it contains Domperidone.
- Heartburn: Used to treat symptoms of heartburn as Nexpro RD 40 exhibits anti-acidic properties.
- Gastroparesis: Used in cases of idiopathic or diabetic induced delayed stomach emptying known as Gastroparesis.
- Helicobacter Pylori Infection: Used to treat some major conditions Helicobacter Pylori Infection.
- Zollinger Ellison Syndrome: Used to treat Zollinger Ellison syndrome in which acid production in the stomach is increased.
3How does Nexpro RD 40 work?
- Main constituents of Nexpro RD 40 are Esomeprazole sodium and Domperidone
- Esomeprazole is a proton pump inhibitor (PPI ) which works by getting ionized to its active form (sulfenamide group) rapidly as soon as they are exposed to the acidic environment of the stomach
- These sulfenamide group forms a covalent bond with SH (Sulfhydrl) group of proton pump and blocks it irreversibly, thereby blocking the acid secretion.
- Domperidone is an antiemetic, which works on the dopamine receptors as it is a dopamine antagonist. It works by impelling the food down through the food pipe from the stomach to intestine at a faster rate.
- Domperidone also blocks the food from flowing back its way up through food pipe and inhibits vomiting center in the brain, eventually treating the feeling of nausea and vomiting.
4How to take Nexpro RD 40?
- Nexpro RD 40 is available in form of capsule and tablets for oral administration.
- The duration and dose of the drug are to be followed as per the doctor and should not be altered without proper consultation.
- Nexpro RD 40 should be taken empty stomach (at least half an hour before food), as food decreases the bioavailability of Esomeprazole.
- It is advised to take Nexpro RD 40 in the morning (before breakfast) so that its peak serum concentration coincides with maximal activity of proton pumps.
- Nexpro RD 40 tablet or capsules should not be chewed or crushed instead it is advisable to swallow it as a whole with plenty of water.
- Drug should not be discontinued without proper medical consultation even if symptoms have disappeared.
Read about other medicines: Nicipplus | Nimesulide
5Common Dosage for Nexpro RD 40
- Nexpro RD 40 dosage can be decided by the doctor for every individual as per Age, Weight, Mental status, Allergic history and Health status of the patient and Condition being treated.
- The common dose of Nexpro RD 40 is One tablet a day in the morning, before breakfast but it can be modified to two capsules a day also (in morning and evening), depending on the condition of the patient.
- Nexpro RD 40 should not be used for more than 14 days unless stated by the doctor.
- It is advisable not to alter or stop the dose of the drug without proper medical consultation.
Q. What happens if I overdose on Nexpro RD 40?
Nexpro RD 40 dosage should be strictly consumed as per the prescription by the doctor. The doctor should be consulted immediately in case of Nexpro RD 40 overdose as it can also lead to toxicity.
Q. What happens if I miss a dose of Nexpro RD 40?
Nexpro RD 40 should always be taken as per the fixed time schedule and in case of missed dose, always try to consume it as soon as you remember. But, avoid taking the missed dose if it’s already time to take the second dose as it may lead to drug toxicity or drug overdose.
Q. What happens if I eat expired Nexpro RD 40?
Expired Nexpro RD 40 may not cause any undesirable effect but it is advisable to avoid consuming the expired drug as it may not be efficacious enough to provide the needed results and the doctor should be immediately consulted in case of any undesirable symptoms after consuming the expired drug.
Q. Onset time of Nexpro RD 40 and till when does the effect of Nexpro RD 40 stays?
- The Drug has a half-life of 1-2 hour and its effects of start within 30 minutes to 1 hour following oral administration.
- It reaches its maximum activity (inhibition of acid) in 2 hours.\
Also Read: Melacare Cream Dosage | Meprate Dosage | Mintop Dosage
6 When to Avoid Nexpro RD 40?
Do not Consume Nexpro RD 40 if:
- Liver disorders: In known cases of Liver dysfunction or diseases, Nexpro RD 40 should be avoided or used only when advised by the doctor.
- Kidney Diseases: In known cases of Kidney disease, Nexpro RD 40 should be avoided unless stated otherwise by the doctor.
- Allergy: In known cases of a known history of allergy to Nexpro RD 40 or any of its ingredients.
- CHF: In known cases of congestive heart failure.
- Electrolyte disturbance: In cases of electrolyte disturbance especially of magnesium, potassium, and calcium.
7Precautions While Taking Nexpro RD 40
- Proper Consumption: Avoid Chewing or crushing the capsules; instead swallow the capsule as a whole.
- Allergic Reaction: Allergic reaction, it occurs after taking Nexpro RD 40 should be immediately reported to the doctor or trained medical staff.
- Prolonged use: Avoid prolonged use without medical consultation as long term use increases the risk of gastric neoplasia ( stomach cancer)
- Time Interval: Fixed time interval of at least 4-6hours between two doses if advised twice a day in severe cases.
Warnings When Taking Nexpro RD 40
- Consuming more than the daily prescribed dose or altering the dose in any manner may lead to increased risk of side effects.
- Nexpro RD 40 should preferably be administered in the morning.
8 Side-Effects of Nexpro RD 40
The side effects associated with Nexpro RD 40 are:
- Insomnia (less common)
- Constipation (common)
- Headache (less common)
- Rashes (less common)
- Dizziness (less common)
- Restlessness (Common)
- Itching (Rare)
- Gynaecomastia (enlarged breast in males) (rare)– after prolonged use.
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions to Nexpro RD 40?
Possible allergic reactions reported for Nexpro RD 40 are:
- Rashes (less common)
- Itching of skin (less common)
What are the effects of Nexpro RD 40 on organs?
Dose adjustment may be required in patients with severe liver and kidney impairment
9Drug Interactions to be Careful About
It is always advisable to be careful of a certain drug to drug or drug to food interactions when consuming Nexpro RD 40. Always be aware of the food items, other drugs or lab tests while consuming Nexpro RD 40. We explore these n details below.
1. Food Interactions with Nexpro RD 40
Avoid carbonated drinks and spicy food as they might aggravate the acidity
2. Medicines Interactions with Nexpro RD 40
All the potential drug interactions might not be listed here. It is always advisable that the patient must inform the physician about of all the drugs/products you use. You must notify the doctor about the herbal products that you are currently consuming. You should never alter the drug regimen without your doctor’s approval.
The common drug interactions have been noticed with the following drugs:
- Alcohol (moderate)
- Ketoconazole and Digoxin: decreased gastric acidity due to Nexpro RD 40 can decrease the absorption of Ketoconazole and Digoxin (moderate)
- Warfarin, phenytoin, carbamazepin and benzodiazepines (Severe): Nexpro RD 40 may enhance their effects by decreasing their metabolism.
- Atropine (Mild)
- Antacids (moderate): If necessary, then it must be taken at least 1 hour before or 2 hours after having Nexpro RD 40.
3. Effects of Nexpro RD 40 on Lab Tests
Nexpro RD 40 doesn’t affect any laboratory test results.
4. Nexpro RD’s interactions with Pre-existing Conditions/Diseases
Congestive heart failure, liver and kidney diseases are the conditions, which should be taken into consideration before consuming Nexpro RD 40.
Q. Can I have Nexpro RD 40 with alcohol?
No, as there is an increased risk of acidity and reflux in food pipe as alcohol is acidic and can also decrease the potency of the drug.
Q. Any particular food item to be avoided?
Carbonated drinks and spicy food should be avoided as they might aggravate the acidity
Q. Can I have Nexpro RD 40 when pregnant?
No, it is not advised as undesirable effects of Nexpro RD 40 are seen on foetus in animal studies. The doctor should always be notified if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant for the case-specific recommendation.
Q. Can I have Nexpro RD 40 when feeding a baby?
Always notify the doctor if you are breastfeeding the child as a precautionary measure as Nexpro RD 40 is not recommended in lactating mothers.
Q. Can I drive after taking Nexpro RD 40?
One should avoid taking Nexpro RD 40 while driving if it causes drowsiness or dizziness and it is advisable to avoid driving or operating heavy machinery in such cases.
Also Read: Mobizox Side Effect | Montair LC Side Effect | Montek LC Side Effect
10 Buyer’s Guide – Nexpro RD 40 Composition, Variant and Price
|Nexpro RD Variants||Nexpro RD Composition||Nexpro RD Price|
|Nexpro 20mg Tablet||Esomeprazole 20MG||Rs. 70 for 15 tablets.|
|Nexpro 40mg Tablet||Esomeprazole 40MG||Rs. 124.30 for 15 tablets|
|Nexpro Junior 1gm Sachet||Esomeprazole 10MG/3.2gm||Rs. 15.60 for 1 sachet|
|Nexpro Fast 40mg Tablet||Esomeprazole 40MG||Rs. 111.10 for 10 tablets|
|Nexpro IV 40mg Injection||Esomeprazole 40MG/Injection||Rs. 102.60 for 1 injection|
|Nexpro L Capsule||Esomeprazole 40MG + Levosulpiride 75mg||Rs. 236.70 for 10 capsules|
11Substitutes of Nexpro RD 40
The following are alternative drugs for Nexpro RD 40:
- Zoreso D Capsule:
- Manufactured by – Emcure Pharmaceuticals Ltd
- Price – Rs. 99
- Yees D Capsule:
- Manufactured by – Alkem Laboratories Ltd
- Price – Rs. 81
- Lupisoz D Capsule:
- Manufactured by – Lupin Ltd
- Price – Rs. 120.95
- Ranidom DSR Capsule:
- Manufactured by – Mankind Pharma
- Price – Rs. 84.70
Storage requirements for Nexpro RD 40
- It should be stored at room temperature, away from direct heat and light
- Drug should be kept out of children’s reach.
12FAQs – 10 Questions Answered about Nexpro RD 40
Q. What is Nexpro RD 40?
Ans. Nexpro RD 40 is basically a fixed dose combination of two drugs as its active ingredients which are Esomeprazole sodium and Domperidone. Nexpro RD 40 belongs to the class of antiemetics as well as proton pump inhibitors.
Nexpro RD 40 serves various purposes. It is used to treat acidity, heartburn, nausea and vomiting.
Q. How effective it is/ How long does it take for Nexpro RD 40 to show results?
Ans. The Drug has a half-life of 1-2 hour and its effects of start within 30 minutes to 1 hour following oral administration and reaches its maximum activity (inhibition of acid) in 2 hours.
Q. Should Nexpro RD 40 be taken on an empty stomach?
Ans. Nexpro RD 40 should be taken empty stomach for better effects.
Q. Does Nexpro RD 40 make you drowsy?
Ans. Nexpro RD 40 might cause drowsiness in few cases but it varies with every individual.
Q. What should be the time gap between the consumption of 2 Nexpro RD 40 doses?
Ans. The ideal time gap of at least 4-6 hours should be there between two doses to avoid Nexpro RD 40 overdose.
Q. Should I complete the whole cycle of the medicine even if cured?
Ans. Nexpro RD 40 should be consumed as prescribed by the doctor and in case of any severity of symptoms, immediate medical help or consultation should be taken. And the doctor should be the one to decide when and how to stop the cycle of Nexpro RD 40.
Q. Does Nexpro RD 40 effect my menstrual cycle?
Ans. No, it generally doesn’t affect the menstrual cycle but one should always consult the doctor in case of pre-existing menstrual problems before consuming the drug
Q. Is Nexpro RD 40 safe for children?
Ans. Nexpro RD 40 should only be administered in children after proper consultation and recommendation by the Paediatrician. Variants of same constituents are available for children, ex: Nexpro junior sachet.
Q. Are there any symptoms that I should consider before taking Nexpro RD 40?
Ans. Any heart, kidney or liver disease or allergic reactions are to be taken into consideration before taking Nexpro RD 40.
Q. Is Nexpro RD 40 legal in India?
Ans. Yes, it is legal in India
Disclaimer – The information provided above is to the best of our research and knowledge. However, you are recommended to consult a physician before consuming the drug.
13Authored by –