What is Nifedipine?
Nifedipine is sold under the brand name Adalat. It is a synthetic compound which is known as calcium antagonist. Nifedipine is used as a common medication for cardiac and circulatory treatment as a coronary vasodilator.
Manufactured By – J.B.Chemicals & Pharmaceuticals Ltd
Buy & Get Minimum 30% Discount: Netmeds Offers | Pharmeasy Promo Code
Uses of Nifedipine
- Nifedipine is used to treat high blood pressure in pregnancy and premature labour as tocolytic.
- It is used in the treatment of angina such as Prinzmetal Angina.
- Nifedipine is used in Raymond’s phenomenon and in pulmonary hypertension.
How Does Nifedipine Work?
As Nifedipine is a calcium channel blocker, it works by relaxing the heart and blood vessels muscles.
How to Take Nifedipine?
- Swallow the tablet wholly.
- Do not crush, chew or break it.
- You can take Nifedipine whenever you eat but try to take it the same time every day.
Nifedipine Price in India
|Nifedipine (10 mg)||Rs 11.75|
Also Read: Nortriptyline Price | Oxycodone Price
Common Dosage for Nifedipine
- The dosage is different for different conditions. So it is safe to consult the doctor before taking the dosage.
- For hypertension- 30 to 60 mg per day and it may gradually increase to up to 120 mg per day by the physician.
- Angina -30 mg per day which may increase to up to 60 mg per day (Extend release tablet) and 10 mg per day which can increase to up to 180mg per day (Immediate release capsule).
Also read about other medicine's Dosage: Naloxone Dosage
Precautions – When to Avoid Nifedipine?
While taking Nifedipine you should follow the following steps:
- Don’t delay or miss a scheduled meal or snack
- Don’t take Nifedipine along with other certain medications.
- Avoid consuming alcohol and Grapefruits while taking this drug.
- Consult your doctor when you got any serious side effects while taking Nifedipine.
Side-Effects of Nifedipine
Some common side effects of Nifedipine are:
- Muscle or leg cramps
- Cough and cold
- More amount of urinating
- Itching or rashness
Other medicine's Side Effect: Paroxetine Side Effect | Percocet Side Effect
Effects of Nifedipine on Organs
Being a calcium channel blocker, Nifedipine may affect the blood vessels of the brain, heart, and the kidney. This may result in kidney and heart damage. It can be avoided if the blood pressure is controlled.
Drug Interactions to be Careful About
Drugs which cause serious effects while interacting with Nifedipine are Aspirin, Advil, labetalol, Lipitol, etc., The drugs which may be taken under certain circumstances and show a moderate effect are magnesium sulphate, naproxen, etc.
Effects/Results after Consuming Nifedipine
Nifedipine will show its effect within 1 to 2 weeks but you should follow this medication as your physician advice.
Storage Requirements about Nifedipine
Nifedipine can be stored in a closed container at room temperature away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
Pro Tips When Taking Nifedipine
- Nifedipine should be taken in the prescribed dosage and one must only increase the dosage when the physician prescribes it.
- Do not abruptly stop taking this drug as it may cause negative effects on the body.
- Avoid alcohol and certain recommended foods while taking Nifedipine as it may cause dangerous effects on some organs.
FAQs – Things to Know About Nifedipine
Is Nifedipine addictive?
Can I have Nifedipine with alcohol?
No. Having Nifedipine with alcohol will cause low blood pressure.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
Grapefruit and its juice as it can increase the effect of blood levels.
Can I have Nifedipine when pregnant?
Yes, Nifedipine is commonly used during pregnancy. Although you can consult your doctor.
Can I have Nifedipine when feeding a baby?
No evidence is there to report that Nifedipine may cause any adverse effect on infants.
Can I drive after taking Nifedipine?
You should avoid driving if you feel drowsy.
What happens if I overdose on Nifedipine?
An overdose on Nifedipine would cause dizziness, irregular heartbeat, nausea, vomiting and passed out feeling.
What happens if I eat expired Nifedipine?
It will not be effective but take advice from your doctor immediately.
What happens if I miss a dose of Nifedipine?
If you miss a dose of Nifedipine take it as soon as you remember it within the next 12 hours. If you don’t, then just go back to your regular dosage.
When Was Nifedipine Made?
Nifedipine was made in the year 1969.
Also read about other medicine's: Naprosyn