What is Norfloxacin?
Norfloxacin belongs to “Quinolone” group of antibiotics which is used to treat different kinds of bacterial infections. Norfloxacin is ineffective in treating viral infections like common cold, flu etc. Overuse or unnecessary usage of it may cause antibiotic resistance or decreased effectiveness of the antibiotic.
Buy & Get Discount: Myra Coupon Code | Netmeds
Norfloxacin is commonly used in treatment or prevention of following diseases or symptoms:
- Chronic bacterial prostatitis (inflammation of prostate gland)
- Urinary tract infections
- Gynecological infections
- Infectious diarrhea
- Bladder infections
- Intra-abdominal infections
- Conjunctival infections (when used in eye drop form)
- It may also be used for other purposes not mentioned above.
How does Norfloxacin work?
- Norfloxacin belongs to “Quinolone” group of antibiotics which are considered to be bactericidal (bacterial killing ability).
- It kills the bacteria by inhibiting the bacterial enzyme DNA Gyrase which further inhibits the synthesis of DNA (genetic material) and thus preventing its further multiplication.
Norfloxacin Price in India
|100 mg 10 Tablet||Rs 17.80|
|200 mg 10 Tablets||Rs 26.83|
|400 mg 10 Tablets||Rs 48.49|
|800 mg 4 Tablets||Rs 35.71|
Also Read: Udiliv Price
How to Take Norfloxacin?
In order to reduce antibiotic resistance and increase the effectiveness of Norfloxacin, it is advisable that all antibacterial therapies including Norfloxacin should be selected based on bacterial culture and susceptibility tests. A particular antibiotic should only be used to treat or prevent infections which are susceptible to it.
Norfloxacin is available in different forms:
- Eye drops
- Dosage regimen should be adjusted according to individual patient needs, type of infection or as advised by the doctor.
- Norfloxacin tablets are usually well absorbed orally and should be directly swallowed with water in one go without chewing or breaking it.
- It is better to take Norfloxacin tablets empty stomach or 1 hour before/ 2 hours after food.
- For ideal results, it should always be taken at evenly spaced intervals to maintain a certain amount of drug in the body all the time.
- In case if syrup is used, shake the bottle well before each use to mix the medication evenly. Use a measuring cup to consume the correct dosage of medicine.
- When on Norfloxacin therapy, it is always advised that medication should not be left in between without completing the full course as it:
- Might decrease the efficacy of the drug and
- Increase the likelihood of bacterial resistance to this drug thereby making it inefficient for future use.
Common Dosage for Norfloxacin?
- The drug dosage and form is decided by the physician based upon:
- age and body weight of the patient
- health status/medical condition of the patient
- disease severity
- reaction to the first dose
- history of allergy/drug reactions
- The most usually recommended dose of Norfloxacin in adults is 400 mg 12 hourly. The length of treatment varies with medical condition.
- The safety and effectiveness of Norfloxacin use in children below 18 years have not been established. Consult your doctor before administering in children.
- In patients suffering from kidney problems or on dialysis, the dosage of Norfloxacin may need to be altered.
- Never use more than the recommended dose or for longer periods of time without doctor’s consent.
- In case of non-improvement of symptoms or symptoms getting worse, seek medical attention immediately.
- If taken as an over-the-counter product, read all directions on the product package before taking this medication.
Also Read: Nise Dosage | Novamox Dosage | Ultracet Dosage
When to Avoid Norfloxacin?
Norfloxacin should not be used with:
- If you are allergic to Norfloxacin
- If you are allergic to drugs belonging to quinolone family like Levofloxacin, Ofloxacin, Gatifloxacin etc
- Patients having a history of a tendon problem
- Patients having myasthenia gravis (abnormal weakness of muscles)
- Patients with a heart problem or long QT interval (heart’s electrical cycle)
- Diabetic patients (especially if on oral anti diabetic drugs)
- Patients suffering from kidney disease or on dialysis
- Patients suffering from liver diseases
- Epileptic patients (patients experiencing seizures)
Side-effects of Norfloxacin?
Side effects are possible but do not always occur in all the patients. More commonly observed side effects may include:
- Altered taste sensation
- Skin rash
- In very few cases, patients might complain of some serious side effects like:
- Signs of tendonitis, tendon rupture: pain, swelling, stiffness around joints
- Prolongation of QT interval (heart’s electrical cycle)
- Phototoxicity (susceptibility of skin to light)
- Central nervous system effects like nervousness, depression, confusion
- Nerve symptoms: numbness, burning sensation, tingling
- Allergic reactions
- In such cases, tell your doctor immediately and seek immediate medical attention.
Also Read: Unienzyme Side Effect
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions?
Although Norfloxacin is used to treat bacterial infections an allergic reaction to Norfloxacin is possible. Signs and symptoms of possible allergic reactions include:
- Itchy skin/rashes
- Swelling especially on face, lips & throat
- Difficulty in breathing or swallowing and
- Loss of consciousness.
What Are The Effects of Norfloxacin on Organs?
- Dose adjustment is needed in patients suffering from kidney and liver diseases. In such patients, Norfloxacin should be administered with caution.
- Norfloxacin use is associated with an increased risk of tendonitis and tendon rupture in all age groups. The risk is further increased in people above 60 years of age.
Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
All the possible drug interactions might not be listed here. You must always inform the physician of all the drugs/over the counter supplements used. It is always better to inform your doctor if you are currently using any other drugs that make you drowsy or sleepy, such as sleeping pills, other allergy drugs, muscle relaxants, and drugs used for fits, depression, or anti-anxiety drugs.
Some of the common drugs which interact with Norfloxacin include:
Using all these medicines along with Norfloxacin can increase the chances of side effects and can also influence the therapeutic effect of these medicines.
Shows Effects / Results In
- The time taken for Norfloxacin to show its effect depends upon the form of medicine being consumed and its intended use.
- Some patients might show the decreased severity of symptoms from day one but even if the symptoms have disappeared, the course of the medicine should always be completed.
Is Norfloxacin Addictive?
No such tendency has been reported.
Can I have Norfloxacin with alcohol?
The interaction of alcohol with Norfloxacin is not clear. Consult your doctor before consumption.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
- Avoid taking dairy products and caffeine along with Norfloxacin. Keep a gap of at least 2 hours.
- Take this medication at least 2 hours before or 2 hours after eating magnesium/ aluminium antacids.
- Patients receiving Norfloxacin should remain adequately hydrated to prevent the formation of highly concentrated urine.
Can I have Norfloxacin When Pregnant?
Norflox is not suitable for use in pregnancy. Animal studies have shown adverse effects on fetus thus avoid taking Norfloxacin during pregnancy.
Can I have Norfloxacin when feeding a baby?
- Always inform your doctor if you are breast-feeding your child.
- Norfloxacin is excreted in human milk so it should be avoided in lactating mothers.
Can I drive after taking Norfloxacin?
Norfloxacin Tablet usually does not affect your ability to drive. However, few patients might experience dizziness, decreased alertness as a side effect, in such cases, it should be used with caution while driving and operating heavy machinery.
What happens if I overdose on Norfloxacin?
- Norfloxacin should not be administered in more than prescribed dose.
- Taking more medication or with increased frequency will not improve your symptoms early; rather they may cause serious side-effects.
- In case of overdosage, consult your doctor immediately.
What happens if I eat expired Norfloxacin?
- It is very unlikely for a single dose of expired Norfloxacin to produce an adverse event. However, please consult your physician if you feel unwell or sick after consuming an expired medicine.
- An expired drug might not be as potent in treating your condition. It is advisable to refrain from using an expired drug.
What happens if I miss a dose of Norfloxacin?
- The medicine may not work well if you miss a dose because, for effective working of the drug, a certain amount of drug must be present in your body at all times.
- Always consume the missed dose as soon as you remember it. But, if it is already time to take the second dose after that – do not take a double dose.
Storage Requirements for Norfloxacin
- Store it away from direct heat and light.
- Keep the medicine away from children and pet
Pro Tips When Taking Norfloxacin
- Even if you begin to feel better in a few days of treatment with Norfloxacin, it is advisable that you complete the entire course of treatment. If the medicine is stopped in between, the symptoms might return or may get worsened. Also, chances of bacterial resistance to the drug may increase.
- Needle-shaped crystals can be found in the urine of patients taking a high dose of Norfloxacin. This can be prevented by drinking plenty of fluids while on Norflox therapy.
Also read about other medicine's: Sumo | Tryptomer | Ttinjection