Table of Contents
- 1 What is Normaton Syrup ?
- 2 Uses of Normaton Syrup
- 3 How Does Normaton Syrup Work?
- 4 How to Take Normaton Syrup ?
- 5 Common Dosage for Normaton Syrup
- 6 When to Avoid Normaton Syrup ?
- 7 Precautions While Taking Normaton Syrup
- 8 Side-Effects of Normaton Syrup
- 9 Drug Interactions With Normaton Syrup to be Careful About
- 10 Normaton Syrup Composition, Variant and Price – Buyer’s Guide
- 11 Substitutes of Normaton Syrup
- 12 FAQs – 10 Important Questions Answered about Normaton Syrup
- 13 Similar Reads:
What is Normaton Syrup ?
Normaton Syrup belongs to a group of drugs called as “appetite stimulant” and is primarily used as appetite booster in children. It should not be used in case of severe kidney diseases and in newborn babies.
Composition: Cyproheptadine – 2mg/5ml, Tricholine Citrate – 275mg/5ml, Sorbitol – 2gm/5ml
Manufactured by – Mankind Pharma Ltd
Prescription– Not required as it is available as over the counter (OTC) drug
Form – Syrup
Price – Rs. 105
Type of Drug – Appeite stimulant
Read more: Onestone Composition | Pregabalin Composition
Uses of Normaton Syrup
Normaton Syrup serves a dual purpose as it works for pain as well as fever. It is prescribed for the following:
- Appetite stimulant: Used in cases of low appetite, where Normaton syrup is used to boost the appetite of the patient.
How Does Normaton Syrup Work?
- Normatone Syrup contains 3 major constituents -: Cyproheptadine, tricholine citrate and sorbitol.
- Cyproheptadine is an antihistamine which works by blocking the release of chemical messenger (histamine) involved in allergic reactions in your body.
- It also acts as an antiserotonergic agent which blocks the release of serotonin in the hypothalamus, the appetite regulating centre in brain.
- Tricholine citrate binds with bile acid and removes bile acids from the body. Due to this binding, more bile acids are produced by the liver using cholesterol and thereby lowering cholesterol levels in the body.
- Sorbitol relieves constipation by acting as an osmotic laxative.
How to Take Normaton Syrup ?
- Normaton Syrup can be taken with or without food or as advised but it is always advisable to take it at a fixed time, preferably at night as it can cause sedation.
- In order to measure the prescribed dose, a medication measuring device and not a household spoon should be used.
- Shake the bottle well before each use.
- It is recommended for a patient to go through the leaflet inside the package thoroughly before using the medicine.
Common Dosage for Normaton Syrup
- The drug dosage is decided by the physician based upon:
- Health status/medical condition of the patient
- Severity of symptoms
- Reaction to the first dose
- History of allergy/drug reactions
- Dosage in adults: 1-2 tablespoons once or twice a day.
Q. What happens if I overdose on Normaton Syrup ?
Normaton Syrup should not be administered in more than prescribed dose. Taking increased dose will not improve your symptoms earlier; rather it may cause some side effects. In case of over dosage, consult your doctor immediately.
Q. What happens if I miss a dose of Normaton Syrup ?
The potency of the medicine may decrease because for effective working of the drug, a certain amount of drug must be present in your body at all times. Always consume the missed dose as soon as you remember. But, if it’s already time for the next dose – do not double the dose.
Q. What happens if I eat expired Normaton Syrup ?
The medicine may not work as well as the potency of the medicine gets affected. Please inform your physician regarding the same. To be on the safer side, always check and never use an expired medicine.
Q. What is the onset time of Normaton Syrup ?
You should start to feel recovered within one week following treatment with Normaton Syrup.
Q. Till When Does The Effect of Normaton Syrup Stay?
The duration of time for which the medicine remains effective is not clinically established.
When to Avoid Normaton Syrup ?
Do not Consume Normaton Syrup in the following scenarios:
- Allergy – if the patient is allergic to any of the components present in Normaton Syrup.
- Patients with severe kidney disease
- Patients undergoing haemodialysis
- Newborn or premature infants
- Patients with peptic ulcer
- Patients on MAO inhibitor drugs
Precautions While Taking Normaton Syrup
- Do not take an over-dose.
- Always take the medicine at night, as it may cause sedation.
Side-Effects of Normaton Syrup
The side effects associated with Normaton Syrup used for different treatments are:
- Sedation (common)
- Drowsiness (Common)
- Nausea (Common)
- Vomiting (less Common)
- Diarrhoea (less Common)
- Weight gain (less Common)
- Blurred vision (rare)
- Dryness of mouth, throat (Common)
- Abdominal pain (less Common)
- Light-headedness (Common)
- Feeling of tiredness (Common)
- Low blood pressure (less common)
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions to Normaton Syrup ?
Possible allergic reactions reported for Normaton Syrup are:
- Rash (common)
- Itching (common)
- Shortness of breath (less common)
- Swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat (rare)
- Loss of consciousness (rare)
What Are The Effects of Normaton Syrup on Organs?
Patients with pre-existing liver and kidney disease should use it with caution. Dose adjustment might be needed in such cases.
Drug Interactions With Normaton Syrup to be Careful About
Drug interaction refers to effect of drugs on each other and on human body after ingestion. Large numbers of medicines have shown to interact with each other. Interactions are not just limited to drugs, but certain food items and some laboratory tests which should not be taken right after consuming Normaton Syrup. We explore these in details below.
1. Food Interactions with Normaton Syrup
No interactions observed with any food products.
2. Medicines Interactions with Normaton Syrup
It is always advised that the patient must inform the physician about all the drugs/over the counter products/vitamin supplements used. It may interact with large number of medicines. Few important ones include:
- Alcohol – Alcohol can aggravate sedative effect of Normaton Syrup
- Theophylline (Mild)
- Ritonavir (Mild)
- Sedatives (Mild) – Sedation can be aggravated
- MAO inhibitors (Mild)
- Tranquilizers – Tranquilizers can aggravate sedative effect of Normaton Syrup
- Anisindione (Moderate)
- Bendrofluazide (Mild)
- Fluoxetine (Mild) – Sedation can be aggravated
- Dicumarol (Mild)
- Carvedilol (Mild)
3. Effects of Normaton Syrup on Lab Tests
No effect on any lab tests noted while taking Normaton Syrup.
4. Normaton Syrup’s interactions with Pre-existing Conditions/Diseases
Patients suffering from pre-existing liver and kidney diseases must consult their physician before consuming Normaton Syrup.
Q. Can I have Normaton Syrup with alcohol?
No. sedative effects might get aggravated.
Q. Any particular food item to be avoided?
No alteration in its action seen with any food product.
Q. Can I have Normaton Syrup when pregnant?
Always consult your doctor first. Always inform your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant.
Q. Can I have Normaton Syrup when feeding a baby?
There is no evidence as whether ingredients of Normaton Syrup are excreted in human breast milk or not thus it should be used with caution in lactating mothers.
Q. Can I drive after taking Normaton Syrup ?
If one experiences side effects like drowsiness, headache or dizziness then it may not be advisable to drive a vehicle and operate heavy machinery while on this medication.
Read more: Mim Orange Side Effects
Normaton Syrup Composition, Variant and Price – Buyer’s Guide
|Normaton Syrup Variants||Normaton Syrup Composition||Normaton Syrup Price (Rs.)|
|Normaton Syrup||Ibuprofen 400 MG, Paracetamol 325 MG||Rs. 105|
Check Out: Netmeds Offers | Medlife Offers | Pharmeasy Offers
Substitutes of Normaton Syrup
The following are alternative drugs for Normaton Syrup:
- Aptimust 200ml Syrup:
- Manufactured by – Mankind Pharma Ltd
- Price – Rs. 110
- Cypon 200ml Syrup:
- Manufactured by – Geno Pharmaceuticals Ltd.
- Price – Rs. 98
- Apitat 30ml Syrup:
- Manufactured by – Lupin Ltd.
- Price – Rs. 85
Storage Requirements for Normaton Syrup
- Storage at room temperature away from direct light and heat unless mentioned in the package insert.
- Keep medicines away from children and pets.
FAQs – 10 Important Questions Answered about Normaton Syrup
Q. What is Normaton Syrup ?
Ans. Normaton Syrup belongs to a group of drugs called as “appetite stimulant” and is primarily used as appetite booster in children. It should not be used in case of severe kidney diseases and in newborn babies.
Q. What are the uses of Normaton Syrup ?
Ans. It is primarily used as appetite booster in children
Q. What are the side effects of Normaton Syrup ?
Ans. The most common side effects of Normaton Syrup are Sedation, Drowsiness, Nausea, Vomiting, Diarrhoea, Weight gain, Blurred vision, Dryness of mouth, throat, Abdominal pain, Light-headedness, Feeling of tiredness, Low blood pressure
Q. How effective is Normaton Syrup ?
Ans. It is effective due to its multi-mineral, multi-vitamin formulation properties. However, there are other medicines which perform better.
Q. How long does it take for Normaton Syrup to show results?
Ans. You should start to feel recovered within one week following treatment with Normaton Syrup.
Q. Should Normaton Syrup be taken on an empty stomach?
Ans. Normaton Syrup can be taken empty stomach as well as after food.
Q. Does Normaton Syrup make you drowsy?
Ans. Normaton Syrup can make you drowsy.
Q. What should be the time gap between the intake of 2 Normaton Syrup ?
Ans. Normaton Syrup is usually administered after a gap of 4-6 hours after the first dose.
Q. Should I complete the whole cycle of the medicine even if cured?
Ans. A complete course must be taken for complete cessation of symptoms from your body.
Q. Does Normaton Syrup effect my menstrual cycle?
Ans. No, Normaton Syrup does not affect your menstrual cycle.
Q. Is Normaton Syrup safe for children?
Ans. Normaton Syrup is safe for consumption in children above 12 years of age. Children below 12 years should use it with caution.
Q. Are there any symptoms that I should consider before taking Normaton Syrup ?
Ans. Patients with history of allergic reaction to any of the ingredients of Normaton Syrup should use it with caution.
Q. Is Normaton Syrup legal in India?
Ans. Yes, it is legal.
Disclaimer – The information provided above is to the best of our research and knowledge. However, you are recommended to consult a physician before consuming the drug.