Table of Contents
- What is Normaxin?
- Uses of Normaxin
- How does Normaxin work?
- How to take Normaxin?
- Normaxin Common Dosage
- When to Avoid Normaxin?
- Precautions While Taking Normaxin:
- Side-Effects of Normaxin
- Drug Interactions to be Careful About
- Buyer’s Guide – Normaxin Composition, Variant and Price
- Substitutes of Normaxin
- FAQs – 12 Important Questions Answered about Normaxin
- Authored By –
1What is Normaxin?
Normaxin is mainly used to prevent or treat conditions like muscle spasms, colic pain, abdominal cramps. Increased intraocular pressure (pressure inside the eye) is the major side effect at high repetitive doses. It should be totally avoided in case of liver or kidney impairment and GI obstruction.
Normaxin Composition: Chlordiazepoxide 5mg + Clidinium bromide 2.5mg + Dicyclomine 10mg
Manufactured By: Systopic Laboratories Pvt Ltd
Prescription: Required as it belongs to Schedule ‘H’
Form: Tablet and Capsules.
Price: Rs. 19.50 for 10 tablets.
Expiry/Shelf Life: 24 months from the date of manufacturing
Type of Drug: Antispasmodic + Anticholinergic
2Uses of Normaxin
Normaxin is used to prevent or treat following conditions:
- Spasms: Used to treat muscle spasms
- Stomach ache: Used to manage stomach ache
- Colic pain: Used to treat colic pain
- Alcoholics: Used in alcoholics for management of alcohol withdrawal symptoms (as Normaxin exhibits sedative effects)
- Anxiety: Used to manage and treat anxiety
- IBS: Used to treat Irritable bowel syndrome
- Menstruation: Used in menstruation to treat and manage menstrual pain (period pain)
- Cramps: Used to treat abdominal and intestinal cramps
- GI disturbances: Used to treat gastric motility disturbances
3How does Normaxin work?
- Normaxin contains Chlordiazepoxide, Clidinium bromide and Dicyclomine as its main active ingredients.
- Chlordiazepoxide is a benzodiazepine and it works by providing the calmness and reducing anxiety due to its sedative property.
- Dicyclomine is an anti spasmodic that works by relaxing muscles of the stomach and intestine.
- Clidinium bromide is an anti cholinergic that helps to reduce symptoms like stomach and intestinal cramps by relaxing the muscles and blocking the secretions.
4How to take Normaxin?
- Normaxin is available in the tablet form
- Normaxin tablet is usually taken via mouth with a glass of water empty stomach or half an hour before meals.
- The tablet should never be chewed or crushed but should be consumed as a whole with plenty of fluids.
- Evenly spaced time interval should be there between two doses.
- The leaflet present in the pack should be read thoroughly to have a better understanding of the drug.
5Normaxin Common Dosage
- The dosage of the drug is to be decided by the doctor for every individual as per the age, weight, mental status, allergic history of the patient.
- Common adult dose for pregnant women is single tablet 2-3 times a day or as prescribed by the doctor depending on the condition being treated.
- Prolonged use without medical consultation is to be avoided
- Normaxin is not recommended for Paediatric populations.
- Dose alteration without consultation should be avoided
Q. What happens if I overdose on Normaxin?
Overdose of Normaxin may lead to some serious effects. Strictly adhere to the prescribed dose and in case of overdose the doctor or medical staff should be informed.
Q. What happens if I miss a dose of Normaxin?
Dose prescribed by the doctor should never be missed and if missed, it should be consumed always as soon as you remember it. But, avoid taking a double dose if it’s already time for the second dose after that as it may lead to overdose of the drug
Q. What happens if I eat expired Normaxin?
Expired Normaxin might not exhibit effects or any undesirable effects. However, one should abstain from consuming expired drug.
Q. Onset time of Normaxin?
The time taken by the drug to show effect varies with every individual patient.
Q. Till when does the effect of Normaxin stays?
Most of the patients experience relief in symptoms within 2-3 weeks.
Also Read: Metronidazole Dosage | Nexito Plus Dosage | Nexito Dosage
6When to Avoid Normaxin?
Do not Consume Normaxin if:
- Allergy: In cases of known history of hypersensitivity/allergy to Normaxin or any similar active ingredients
- Glaucoma: In cases of patients with glaucoma
- Pregnancy: In cases of pregnant or nursing women
- Myasthenia gravis: In patients with muscle disorder like Myasthenia gravis
- Liver/Kidney impairment: In cases of patients with moderate to severe liver or kidney impairment
- Obstruction: In cases of patients with gastrointestinal obstruction and ulcerative colitis
7Precautions While Taking Normaxin:
- Alcoholics: Normaxin should not be used in alcoholics.
- Prolonged use: Prolonged use is to be avoided unless stated by the doctor.
- Concomitant use: Concomitant use of any other sedative drug should be avoided with Normaxin.
Warnings When Taking Normaxin
- It only provides symptomatic relief. Therefore, further treatment is required in severe conditions.
- Normaxin should be avoided with alcohol or CNS depressant drugs.
- Normaxin preferably should be consumed at night as it may cause sleepiness or drowsiness.
- Equally spaced time interval should be there between two doses.
8Side-Effects of Normaxin
The side effects associated with Normaxin are:
- Headache (less common)
- Sleepiness (common)
- Dizziness (common)
- Dryness of mouth (common)
- Constipation (common)
- Blurred vision (common)
- Nausea (common)
- Confusion (common)
- Weakness (common)
- Loss of libido (less common)
- Impaired coordination (less common)
- Increased intraocular pressure (pressure inside the eye) (less common)
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions to Normaxin?
- Normaxin is known to cause allergic reaction with symptoms like rashes, breathing difficulty, swelling of face, lip and throat.
- In case of any such signs, immediate medical help should be taken.
What are the effects of Normaxin on organs?
- Normaxin should used with caution in patients with liver or kidney impairment.
- Dose modification might be needed in such cases.
- Patients with Gastrointestinal disturbances or ulcerative colitis should avoid the drug.
9Drug Interactions to be Careful About
It is always advisable to be careful of certain drug to drug or drug to food interactions when consuming Normaxin. Always be aware of the food items, other drugs or lab tests while consuming Normaxin. We explore these n details below.
1. Food Interactions with Normaxin
No particular food item to be avoided.
2. Medicines Interactions with Normaxin
All the potential drug interactions might not be listed here. It is always advisable that the patient must inform the physician about of all the drugs/products you use. You must notify the doctor about the herbal products that you are currently consuming. You should never alter the drug regimen without your doctor’s approval.
The common drug interactions have been noticed with the following drugs:
- Antacids (mild)
- Alcohol (moderate)
- Aspirin (mild)
- Antihistamines (moderate)
- Clozapine (mild)
- Caffeine (mild)
- Anti-depressant drugs (moderate)
3. Effects of Normaxin on Lab Tests
Normaxin does not affect any lab tests as such.
4. Normaxin’s interactions with Pre-existing Conditions/Diseases
Any Liver or kidney diseases
Q. Can I have Normaxin with alcohol?
No, alcohol consumption with this drug may lead to increase risk of side effects like excessive sleep or drowsiness. Therefore, the doctor should always be consulted before taking alcohol with Normaxin.
Q. Any particular food item to be avoided?
No particular food item is to be avoided.
Q. Can I have Normaxin when pregnant?
No, Normaxin is not safe to be prescribed for pregnant women as it is known to cause harm to the foetus. The doctor should also be informed in such cases.
Q. Can I have Normaxin when feeding a baby?
No, it should be avoided while breastfeeding a baby as its effect on the infant can be harmful. Therefore the doctor should always be informed in such cases.
Q. Can I drive after taking Normaxin?
Normaxin may cause dizziness, headache. Hence, one should avoid driving or operating heavy machinery if any of these symptoms occur
Also Read: Nucoxia Side Effect | Nurokind Side Effect
10Buyer’s Guide – Normaxin Composition, Variant and Price
|Normaxin Variants||Normaxin Composition||Normaxin Price (Rs.)|
|Normaxin MB Capsule||Mebeverine 200mg||Rs. 79 for 10 tablets|
|Normaxin CC Tablet||Chlordiazepoxide 5mg + Clidinium bromide 2.5mg||Rs. 27 for 15 tablets|
|Normaxin RT Tablet||Chlordiazepoxide + Clidinium bromide + Dicyclomine + Rabeprazole||Rs. 54 for 10 tablets|
Buy & Get Minimum 20% Discount: Saveonmedicals | Yscart
11Substitutes of Normaxin
The following are alternative drugs for Normaxin:
- Colinorm Tablet:
- Manufactured by Lancer Healthcare Pvt Ltd.
- Price- Rs.22.45
- Neurospas CD Tablet:
- Manufactured by Ind-Swift Ltd.
- Cibis Tablet:
- Manufactured by Cadila Pharmaceuticals Ltd.
- Price- Rs.42
- Clirax D Tablet:
- Manufactured by Elite Pharma Pvt Ltd.
- Price- Rs.23
Also Read: Nurokind Price | O2 Price | Ofloxacin Price
Storage requirements for Normaxin
- The drug should be in a cool, moisture free place away from direct heat and light.
- Keep the drug where it is out of children’s reach.
12FAQs – 12 Important Questions Answered about Normaxin
Q. What is Normaxin?
Ans. Normaxin is a combinational drug that contains Chlordiazepoxide, Clidinium bromide and Dicyclomine as its main active ingredients. Normaxin is used predominantly to prevent or treat conditions like Irritable bowel syndrome because of its antispasmodic property.
Q. What are the uses of Normaxin ?
Ans. Normaxin is used predominantly to prevent or treat conditions like Irritable bowel syndrome because of its antispasmodic property.
Q. What are the side effects of Normaxin ?
Ans. The most common side effects of Normaxin are Headache, Sleepiness, Dizziness, Dryness of mouth, Constipation
Q. How effective is Normaxin?
Ans. The time taken by the drug to show effect varies with every individual patient. Most of the patients experience relief in symptoms within 2-3 weeks.
Q. Should Normaxin be taken on an empty stomach?
Ans. Normaxin should be taken half an hour before meals for better drug absorption.
Q. Does Normaxin make you drowsy?
Ans. Yes, Normaxin may cause drowsiness in few cases but it varies with every individual.
Q. What should be the time gap between the consumption of 2 Normaxin doses?
Ans. Ideal time gap of 4-6 hours should be there between two doses.
Q. Should I complete the whole cycle of the medicine even if cured?
Ans. Normaxin should be consumed as prescribed by the doctor and in case of any severity of symptoms, immediate medical help or consultation should be taken.
And the doctor should be the one to decide when and how to stop the cycle of Normaxin.
Q. Does Normaxin effect my menstrual cycle?
Ans. No, it generally doesn’t affect the menstrual cycle but one should always consult the doctor in case of pre existing menstrual problems before consuming the drug
Q. Is Normaxin safe for children?
Ans. Normaxin should not be administered in children below 6 years of age without proper consultation and recommendation by the Paediatrician should be taken.
Q. Are there any symptoms that I should consider before taking Normaxin?
Ans. Any liver disorder or GI obstruction and allergic reactions are to be taken into consideration before taking Normaxin.
Q. Is Normaxin legal in India?
Ans. Yes, it is legal in India.
Similar Reads –
Disclaimer – The information provided above is to the best of our research and knowledge. However, you are recommended to consult a physician before consuming the drug.