Table of Contents
- 1 What is Nortriptyline?
- 2 Uses of Nortriptyline
- 3 How Does Nortriptyline Work?
- 4 How to Take Nortriptyline?
- 5 Nortriptyline Price in India
- 6 Common Dosage for Nortriptyline
- 7 Precautions – When to Avoid Nortriptyline?
- 8 Side-Effects of Nortriptyline
- 9 Effects of Nortriptyline on Organs
- 10 Drug Interactions to be Careful About
- 11 Effects/Results after Consuming Nortriptyline
- 12 Storage Requirements for Nortriptyline
- 13 Pro Tips When Taking Nortriptyline
- 14 FAQs – Things to Know About Nortriptyline
- 15 Is Nortriptyline addictive?
- 16 Can I have Nortriptyline with alcohol?
- 17 Any particular food item to be avoided?
- 18 Can I have Nortriptyline when pregnant?
- 19 Can I have Nortriptyline when feeding a baby?
- 20 Can I drive after taking Nortriptyline?
- 21 What happens if I overdose on Nortriptyline?
- 22 What happens if I eat expired Nortriptyline?
- 23 What happens if I miss a dose of Nortriptyline?
- 24 When Was Nortriptyline Made?
What is Nortriptyline?
Nortriptyline is sold under the brand names Allegron, Aventyl, Noritren, Nortrilen, Pamelor, etc. It is an anti-depressant drug which is used to treat clinical depression. Nortriptyline is chemically a secondary amine dibenzocycloheptene.
Buy & Get Minimum 30% Discount: Practo Offers
Uses of Nortriptyline
- Nortriptyline is used in treating nocturnal enuresis.
- It is used in the treatment of chronic pain and migraine.
- Nortriptyline is also used to treat some neurological disorders.
Also Read: Naloxone Uses | Naprosyn Uses
How Does Nortriptyline Work?
As Nortriptyline is an anticyclical antidepressant, it enhances the activity of neurotransmitters such as noradrenaline and serotonin which act as chemical messengers between nerve cells. As they are bound to the nerve cells of the brain, they would no longer have an effect on our mood.
How to Take Nortriptyline?
- Swallow the tablet wholly.
- Do not crush, chew or break it.
- Nortriptyline can be taken with or without food.
- Take the drug at bedtime as it causes sleepiness.
Nortriptyline Price in India
|Nortriptyline (25 mg)||Rupees 20.50|
Common Dosage for Nortriptyline
- The dosage is different for different conditions. So it is safe to consult the doctor before taking the dosage.
- For depression – 15 mg per day and it may gradually increase to up to 45 mg per day by the physician.
- The patient should be monitored daily.
Precautions – When to Avoid Nortriptyline?
While taking Nortriptyline you should follow the following steps:
- Don’t delay or miss a scheduled meal or snack
- Don’t take Nortriptyline along with other certain medications.
- Avoid this medication, if you feel you have a sore throat, fever and chills, soreness in the mouth or back pain, etc.
Side-Effects of Nortriptyline
Some common side effects of Nortriptyline are:
- Dry mouth
- Weight gain
- Increased appetite
- Weird dreams
- Stiffness in muscles
- Blurred vision
- Aggressive behaviour
Other medicine's Side Effect: Nifedipine Side Effect | Oxycodone Side Effect
Effects of Nortriptyline on Organs
Nortriptyline is excessively metabolized in the liver which leads to the hepatotoxicity.
Drug Interactions to be Careful About
Drugs which cause serious effects while interacting with Nortriptyline are:
- Methylene blue,
- Sodium oxybate,
- Tedizolid, etc.
Effects/Results after Consuming Nortriptyline
Nortriptyline in sleep, energy or appetite will show its effect within 1 to 2 weeks but in depression and anxiety, it may take up to 6 to 8 weeks to recover.
Storage Requirements for Nortriptyline
Nortriptyline can be stored in a closed container at room temperature away from excess heat and moisture.
Pro Tips When Taking Nortriptyline
- Nortriptyline should be taken in the prescribed dosage and one must only increase the dosage when the physician prescribes it.
- Do not abruptly stop taking this drug as it may cause negative effects on the body.
- Avoid alcohol and certain recommended foods while taking Nortriptyline.
FAQs – Things to Know About Nortriptyline
Is Nortriptyline addictive?
No. But Nortriptyline can cause adverse effects when it is abruptly stopped.
Can I have Nortriptyline with alcohol?
Having Nortriptyline with alcohol will cause more sleepiness.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
Avoid food items which are recommended by your doctor.
Can I have Nortriptyline when pregnant?
No. Nortriptyline is not recommended during pregnancy as it causes preterm birth in the baby. Although you can consult your doctor.
Can I have Nortriptyline when feeding a baby?
A dosage of 120mg would not cause any side effects in infants.
Can I drive after taking Nortriptyline?
You should avoid driving if you feel drowsy.
What happens if I overdose on Nortriptyline?
An overdose on Nortriptyline would cause hallucination, agitation, difficulty in concentration, drowsiness.
What happens if I eat expired Nortriptyline?
It will not be effective but take advice from your doctor immediately.
What happens if I miss a dose of Nortriptyline?
If you miss a dose of Nortriptyline take it as soon as you remember it within the next 12 hours. If you don’t, then just go back to your regular dosage.
When Was Nortriptyline Made?
Nortriptyline was made in the year 1963 by Geigy.
Other medicine's to read: Paroxetine | Percocet