Table of Contents
- 1 What is Novamox 500?
- 2 Uses of Novamox 500
- 3 How does Novamox 500 work?
- 4 How to take Novamox 500?
- 5 Common Dosage for Novamox 500
- 6 When to Avoid Novamox 500?
- 7 Precautions While Taking Novamox 500
- 8 Side-Effects of Novamox 500
- 9 Drug Interactions to be Careful About
- 10 Buyer’s Guide – Novamox 500 Composition, Variant and Price
- 11 Substitutes of Novamox 500
- 12 FAQs – 10 Questions Answered about Novamox 500
- 13 Authored by –
1What is Novamox 500?
Used mainly to treat a different kind of infections like skin, sinus, respiratory and urine tract infection. Gastrointestinal upset, jaundice, and hepatitis are the major side effects at high doses. It should be totally avoided in the case of liver disease, jaundice, and viral infections.
Novamox 500 Composition: Amoxicillin 500 mg
Manufactured By: Cipla
Prescription: Required as it comes under schedule ‘H’.
Form: Capsules, tablets, syrup, and drops.
Price: Rs 101.82 for 10 capsules.
Expiry/Shelf Life: 24 months from the date of manufacturing
Type of Drug: Antibiotic
2Uses of Novamox 500
Novamox 500 is used for many infectious bacterial diseases as follows:
- Respiratory Tract Infections: Treats symptoms like runny nose, mucus sneezing, sore throat.
- Skin Infections: Used to treat symptoms presenting with skin rash, redness or pus filled blisters.
- Sinus Infections: Used to manage symptoms like pain in upper jaw/facial pain, nasal congestion.
- Urinary Tract Infections: Used to treat symptoms like pain in bladder, groin & pelvis, vaginal irritation
- Dental and Oral Infections: Treats symptoms manifesting as swelling in face or cheek, throbbing toothache.
- Soft Tissue Infections: Treats symptoms presenting with erythema(redness), edema(swelling) of affected area
3How does Novamox 500 work?
- Novamox 500 contains Amoxicillin as its main active ingredient
- Amoxicillin works by rupturing the bacterial cell walls through denaturation of bacterial cell wall’s protein and ultimately killing the bacterial cells.
4How to take Novamox 500?
- Novamox 500 is usually available in tablet, capsule and injection form for use in adults.
- Novamox 500 tablet is usually taken by mouth with a glass of water either with food or after food as food increases pH of the stomach which aids in better absorption of the drug and also protects the gastric mucosa.
- When taking suspension form, the bottle should be shaken up well to have a homogenous mix of the drug.
- For complete infection eradication, complete physician’s prescribed dose should be taken.
- It is advisable to go through the drug leaflet available in the packet insert.
5 Common Dosage for Novamox 500
- Novamox 500 dosage can be decided by the doctor for every individual as per: Age, Weight, Mental status, Allergic history and Health status of the patient.
- The usual common adult dose of Novamox 500 is a single capsule twice a day for 3 days or 5 days depending upon the severity of the infection.
- In cases of severe infections, the dose is one capsule every 8 hours.
- Pediatric dose of Novamox 500 is to be decided by a pediatrician only depending upon the severity of the infection.
Q. What happens if I overdose on Novamox 500?
An overdose of Novamox 500 can cause symptoms like rashes, itching and other undesired effects so the dose of the drug should be taken carefully as prescribed by the doctor and Consult the Medical Staff or the doctor immediately in case of Novamox 500 overdose.
Q. What happens if I miss a dose of Novamox 500?
The dose prescribed by the doctor should never be missed as for the drug to exhibit proper effects, a certain amount of drug should always be present in the body and the missed dose should be consumed always as soon as you remember it. But, avoid taking a double dose if it’s already time for the second dose after that as it may lead to an overdose of the drug.
Q. What happens if I eat expired Novamox 500?
The expired dose of Novamox 500 is very unlikely to cause any undesired effect however, the physician should be consulted in case of any sickness or symptoms after consuming an expired medicine. An expired drug is not potent enough to treat the condition and one should avoid consuming the expired drug.
Q. Onset time of Novamox 500 and till when does the effect of Novamox 500 stay?
- One should start to feel recovered within the first few days of Novamox 500 therapy.
- The complete prescribed dose of the drug should be taken before stopping the treatment.
- The time taken by the drug to show its effect may vary with every individual.
Also Read: Udiliv Dosage | Unienzyme Dosage | Tryptomer Dosage
6 When to Avoid Novamox 500?
Do not Consume Novamox 500 if:
- Allergy: In cases of a known history of allergy to Penicillin or any of its derivatives
- Liver dysfunction: In cases of a known history of jaundice/hepatic dysfunction or any severe liver disease.
- Viral infections: In cases of infection caused by the virus-like common cold, as Novamox 500 is an antibiotic and is ineffective against viral infections.
- Infectious Mononucleosis: In cases of Infectious Mononucleosis.
- Kidney impairment: In cases of renal insufficiency or Liver impairments as the drug is metabolized in the liver mainly and will lead to the increased serum level of the drug.
- AIDS: In cases of patients with HIV/AIDS, mononucleosis and Leukemia (all type).
7Precautions While Taking Novamox 500
- Caution: The drug should not be administered in patients with liver and kidney diseases without proper caution and unless it is necessary.
- Appropriate use: Novamox 500 should be used only in cases suspected to be of bacterial origin.
- Dose alteration: Dose alteration without medical consultation should be avoided.
- Empty stomach: Novamox 500 should not be taken empty stomach.
Warnings When Taking Novamox 500
- The doctor should always be informed in case of known allergy to Amoxicillin or penicillin.
- In cases of liver and renal impairment, the doctor should always be notified.
- Novamox 500 should always be taken with or after food to avoid stomach upset.
- Novamox 500 should be used only in cases of bacterial infections.
- Possibility of other opportunistic fungal infections should be ruled out with caution in patients on prolonged Novamox 500 therapy.
8 Side-Effects of Novamox 500
The side effects associated with Novamox 500 are:
- Gastrointestinal upset (common)
- Mycosis (less common)
- Rashes (common)
- Nausea (common)
- Vomiting (common)
- Anaphylaxis (less common)
- Cholestatic Jaundice (less common)
- Convulsions (less common)
- Angioedema (less common)
- Tooth discoloration (less common)
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions to Novamox 500?
- A serious allergic reaction can occur in patients with a penicillin allergy or sensitivity to any of its derivatives
- In case of any allergic signs like itching, redness, and rashes, immediate medical help should be taken.
What are the effects of Novamox 500 on organs?
- Novamox 500 can affect hepatic and renal functions therefore, extra caution or dose modification is required in cases of hepatic or renal impairment.
- In case of an allergic reaction or overdose, immediate medical help should be taken.
9Drug Interactions to be Careful About
It is always advisable to be careful of a certain drug to drug or drug to food interactions when consuming Novamox 500. Always be aware of the food items, other drugs or lab tests while consuming Novamox 500. We explore these n details below.
1. Food Interactions with Novamox 500
Grapefruit (Juices or any grapefruit products) should be avoided
2. Medicines Interactions with Novamox 500
All the potential drug interactions might not be listed here. It is always advisable that the patient must inform the physician about of all the drugs/products you use. You must notify the doctor about the herbal products that you are currently consuming. You should never alter the drug regimen without your doctor’s approval.
The common drug interactions have been noticed with the following drugs:
- Probenecid (mild)
- Allupurinol (moderate)
- Warfarin and other blood thinners(anti-coagulants) (mild)
- Methotrexate (as Novamox 500 may reduce Methotrexate excretion resulting in its toxicity)Mycophenolate mofetil (moderate)
- Magnesium Citrate (mild)
- Proton pump inhibitors such as rabeprazole, omeprazole, Pantoprazole (mild)
- Antibiotics like tetracycline, doxycycline (mild)
- Tramadol (mild)
3. Effects of Novamox 500 on Lab Tests
Novamox 500 does not affect any lab test as such.
4. Novamox’s interactions with Pre-existing Conditions/Diseases
Any Liver or kidney diseases, viral infections
Q. Can I have Novamox 500 with alcohol?
No. As Novamox 500 is already known to have effects like drowsiness and also affects the liver and consuming alcohol with Novamox 500 may worsen the effects.
Q. Any particular food item to be avoided?
Grapefruit (Juices or any grapefruit products) should be avoided.
Q. Can I have Novamox 500 when pregnant?
The doctor should always be informed in case of pregnancy or plans of conceiving as Novamox 500 can cause decreased estrogen levels during pregnancy and also causes oral contraceptives to be proven ineffective.
Q. Can I have Novamox 500 when feeding a baby?
Traces of Novamox 500 have been found in human milk. Therefore, the doctor should always be informed if you are breastfeeding your child as a precautionary measure.
Q. Can I drive after taking Novamox 500?
Novamox 500 can cause dizziness in few cases so one should avoid driving if any dizziness or drowsiness occurs.
Also Read: Norfloxacin Side Effect | Sumo Side Effect
10 Buyer’s Guide – Novamox 500 Composition, Variant and Price
|Novamox Variants||Novamox Composition||Novamox Price|
|Novamox DT 125mg tablet||Amoxicillin 125 mg||Rs.77.55 for 15 tablet|
|Novamox 10ml Drops||Amoxicillin 100 mg/ml||Rs.44.55 for 1 pack|
|Novamox LB 500mg Capsule||Amoxicillin 500 mg + Lactobacillus 60 million cells||Rs. 154.55 for 10 capsules|
|Novamox CV 1.2gm/ injection||Amoxicillin 1000 mg + Clavulanic Acid 200mg/injection||Rs. 132.01 for 1 pack.|
11Substitutes of Novamox 500
The following are alternative drugs for Novamox 500:
- Amoxyrite 500mg Capsule:
- Manufactured by – MHS Pharmaceuticals
- Price – Rs. 56.4
- AXL 500mg Tablet:
- Manufactured by – Indoco Remedies
- Price – Rs. 65.63
- Blumox 500mg Capsule:
- Manufactured by – Blue Cross
- Price – Rs. 62.35
- Wymox 500mg Capsule:
- Manufactured by – Pfizer Ltd
- Price – Rs. 96
Storage requirements for Novamox 500 Tablets
- Store the drug at room temperature below 30o C, away from moisture and direct heat.
- Keep at a place where it is out of reach of children.
Also Read: Ultracet Price
12FAQs – 10 Questions Answered about Novamox 500
Q. What is Novamox 500?
Ans. Novamox 500 is an antibiotic that contains Amoxicillin as its active ingredient. Amoxicillin provides antibacterial activity by killing bacterial cells. Novamox 500 is used only to prevent or treat infections of the skin, middle ear, sinuses, lungs, and the airways.
Q. How effective it is/ How long does it take for Novamox 500 to show results?
Ans. One should start to feel recovered within the first few days of Novamox 500 therapy.
Q. Should Novamox 500 be taken on an empty stomach?
Ans. Novamox 500 should not be taken empty stomach to prevent any potential stomach irritation.
Q. Does Novamox 500 make you drowsy?
Ans. Yes, Novamox 500 may cause drowsiness in a few cases but it varies with every individual.
Q. What should be the time gap between the consumption of 2 Novamox 500 doses?
Ans. The ideal time gap of 4-6 hours should be there between two doses to avoid Novamox 500 toxicity or overdose.
Q. Should I complete the whole cycle of the medicine even if cured?
Ans. Novamox 500 should be consumed as prescribed by the doctor and in case of any severity of symptoms, immediate medical help or consultation should be taken.
And the doctor should be the one to decide when and how to stop the cycle of Novamox 500.
Q. Does Novamox 500 effect my menstrual cycle?
Ans. No, it generally doesn’t affect the menstrual cycle but one should always consult the doctor in case of pre-existing menstrual problems before consuming the drug
Q. Is Novamox 500 safe for children?
Ans. Novamox 500 should only be administered in children after proper consultation and recommendation by the Paediatrician.
Q. Are there any symptoms that I should consider before taking Novamox 500?
Ans. Any liver disorder, viral infection, allergic reactions are to be taken into consideration before taking Novamox 500.
Q. Is Novamox 500 legal in India?
Ans. Yes, it is legal in India.
Disclaimer – The information provided above is to the best of our research and knowledge. However, you are recommended to consult a physician before consuming the drug.