Table of Contents
- What is Ofloxacin?
- Ofloxacin Uses
- How does Ofloxacin work?
- Ofloxacin Price in India
- How to Take Ofloxacin?
- Common Dosage for Ofloxacin?
- When to Avoid Ofloxacin?
- Side Effects of Ofloxacin?
- Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions?
- What Are The Effects of Ofloxacin on Organs?
- Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
- Shows Effects / Results In
- Is Ofloxacin Addictive?
- Can I have Ofloxacin with alcohol?
- Any particular food item to be avoided?
- Can I have Ofloxacin When Pregnant?
- Can I have Ofloxacin when feeding a baby?
- Can I drive after taking Ofloxacin?
- What happens if I overdose on Ofloxacin?
- What happens if I eat expired Ofloxacin?
- What happens if I miss a dose of Ofloxacin?
- Storage Requirements for Ofloxacin
- Pro Tips When Taking Ofloxacin
Ofloxacin Composition – Not Available
Manufactured By – Claris
Prescription – Prescription Required
Form – Injection
Price – Rs 87.9
Quantity – 200 mg
What is Ofloxacin?
Ofloxacin belongs to “Quinolone” group of antibiotics which is used to treat different kinds of bacterial infections.
Buy & Get Minimum 20% Discount: 1mg
Ofloxacin is commonly used in treatment or prevention of following diseases or symptoms:
- Infectious diarrhea
- Typhoid (Enteric fever)
- Inhalational anthrax
- Chronic bacterial prostatitis
- Urinary tract infections
- Infections of skin and soft tissue
- Acute sinusitis
- Bone and joint infections
- Intra-abdominal infections
Ofloxacin may also be used for other purposes not mentioned above.
How does Ofloxacin work?
Ofloxacin belongs to “Quinolone” group of antibiotics which are considered to be bactericidal (bacterial killing ability). It kills the bacteria by inhibiting the synthesis of DNA (genetic material) and thus preventing its further multiplication.
Ofloxacin Price in India
|200 mg Strip of 10 Capsules||Rs 60.5|
Also Read: Normaxin Price | Nucoxia Price | Nurokind Price
How to Take Ofloxacin?
In order to reduce antibiotic resistance and increase the effectiveness of Ofloxacin, it is advisable that all antibacterial therapies including Ofloxacin should be selected based on culture and susceptibility information (a particular antibiotic should only be used to treat or prevent infections that are strongly suspected to be caused by susceptible bacteria).
Available in different forms:
- Oral liquid suspension
- Eye drops
Ofloxacin tablets are usually well absorbed orally and should be directly swallowed with water in one go. They can be taken with or without food. For ideal results, it should always be taken at evenly spaced intervals to maintain a certain amount of drug in the body all the time. Dosage regimen should be adjusted according to individual patient needs, type of infection or as advised by the doctor.
In case if syrup is used, shake the bottle well before each use to mix the medication evenly. Use a measuring cup to consume the correct dosage of medicine.
When on Ofloxacin therapy, it is always advised that medication should not be left in between without completing the full course or skipping the doses as it:
- Might decrease the efficacy of Ofloxacin and
- Increase the likelihood of bacterial resistance to Ofloxacin thereby making it inefficient for future use.
Common Dosage for Ofloxacin?
The drug dosage and form is decided by the physician based upon:
- Age and body weight of the patient
- Health status/medical condition of the patient
- Disease severity
- Reaction to the first dose
- History of allergy/drug reactions
- Ofloxacin is usually taken either with food or immediately after food. Dosage depends upon the condition of the patient.
- In patients suffering from kidney problems or on dialysis, the dosage of Ofloxacin may need to be reduced.
- Never use more than the recommended dose or for longer periods of time without doctor’s consent. In case of non-improvement of symptoms or symptoms getting worse, seek medical attention immediately.
- If taken as an over-the-counter product, read all directions on the product package before taking Ofloxacin.
Also Read: Nurokind Dosage
When to Avoid Ofloxacin?
Ofloxacin is ineffective in treating viral infections like common cold, flu etc. Overuse or unnecessary usage may cause antibiotic resistance or decreased effectiveness of the antibiotic. Ofloxacin should not be used in:
- Patients allergic to Ofloxacin
- Patients allergic to drugs belonging to quinolone family like Levofloxacin, Ofloxacin, Gatifloxacin etc
- Patients suffering from kidney disease or on dialysis
- Patients suffering from liver diseases
- Epileptic patients (patients experiencing seizures)
- Patients having a history of a tendon problem
- Patients having myasthenia gravis (abnormal weakness of muscles)
- Patients with a heart problem or long QT interval (heart’s electrical cycle)
- Patients taking tizanidine (a type of muscle relaxant)
Side Effects of Ofloxacin?
Side effects are possible but do not always occur in all the patients. More commonly observed side effects of Ofloxacin may include:
- Altered taste sensation
- Skin rash
In very few cases, patients might complain of some serious side effects like:
- Signs of tendonitis, tendon rupture: pain, swelling, stiffness around joints
- Exacerbation of myasthenia gravis (abnormal weakness of muscles)
- Prolongation of QT interval (heart’s electrical cycle)
- Phototoxicity (susceptibility of skin to light)
- Central nervous system effects like nervousness, depression, confusion
- Nerve symptoms: numbness, burning sensation, tingling
- Allergic reactions
In such cases, tell your doctor immediately and seek immediate medical attention.
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions?
- Although Ofloxacin is used to treat bacterial infections, still an allergic reaction to Ofloxacin might occur.
- Possible allergic reactions reported include itchy skin, rashes, swelling especially on face, lips & throat, difficulty in breathing or swallowing and loss of consciousness.
What Are The Effects of Ofloxacin on Organs?
- Dose adjustment is needed in patients suffering from kidney and liver diseases. In such patients, Ofloxacin should be administered with caution.
- Tendonitis and tendon rupture
- Effect on the central nervous system as explained above.
Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
All the possible drug interactions might not be listed here. You must always inform the physician of all the drugs/products you use. You must inform your doctor if you frequently use other drugs that make you drowsy or sleepy, such as sleeping pills, other allergy drugs, narcotic pain medicine, muscle relaxants, and drugs used for fits, depression, or anti-anxiety drugs.
You must also inform about the herbal products that you are consuming. You must not modify the drug regimen without your doctor’s approval. Some of the common drugs which interact with Ofloxacin include:
- Vitamin or mineral supplement containing zinc, calcium or magnesium
Using all these medicines along with Ofloxacin can increase the chances of side effects and can also influence the therapeutic effect of these medicines.
Shows Effects / Results In
- The time taken for Ofloxacin to show its effect depends upon the form of medicine being consumed and its intended use.
- Some patients might show the decreased severity of symptoms from day one but even if the symptoms have disappeared, the course of the medicine should always be completed.
Is Ofloxacin Addictive?
No such tendency has been reported with Ofloxacin.
Can I have Ofloxacin with alcohol?
The effect of alcohol on Ofloxacin is not clear. Consult your doctor before consumption.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
- Calcium-rich foods, including dairy products (such as milk, yogurt) or calcium-enriched juice, can affect the absorption of this medication.
- Take Ofloxacin at least 2 hours before or 6 hours after eating magnesium/ aluminium antacids.
- Patients receiving Ofloxacin should remain adequately hydrated to prevent the formation of highly concentrated urine.
Can I have Ofloxacin When Pregnant?
Always inform your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant. Ofloxacin should be used with great caution during pregnancy as it may have adverse effects on the foetus
Can I have Ofloxacin when feeding a baby?
- Always inform your doctor if you are breastfeeding your child.
- Ofloxacin is excreted in human milk so always consult your paediatrician before consuming Ofloxacin while lactating.
Can I drive after taking Ofloxacin?
Ofloxacin Tablet usually does not affect your ability to drive. However, few patients might experience dizziness as a side effect, in such cases, it should be used with caution while driving and operating heavy machinery.
What happens if I overdose on Ofloxacin?
It should not be administered in more than prescribed dose. Taking more medication or with increased frequency will not improve your symptoms; rather they may cause serious side-effects. In case of overdosage, consult your doctor immediately.
What happens if I eat expired Ofloxacin?
It is very unlikely for a single dose of expired Ofloxacin to produce an adverse event. However, please consult your physician if you feel unwell or sick after consuming an expired medicine. An expired drug might not be as potent in treating your condition. It is advisable to refrain from using an expired drug.
What happens if I miss a dose of Ofloxacin?
- The medicine may not work well if you miss a dose because, for effective working of the drug, a certain amount of drug must be present in your body at all times.
- Always consume the missed dose as soon as you remember it. But, if its already time to take the second dose after that – do not take a double dose.
Storage Requirements for Ofloxacin
- Syrups: Protect from light.
- Tablets: Protect from moisture, light, and temperatures above 40C.
Pro Tips When Taking Ofloxacin
- Even if you begin to feel better in a few days of treatment with Ofloxacin, it is advisable that you complete the entire course of treatment.
- If Ofloxacin is stopped in between, the symptoms might return or may get worsened. Also, chances of bacterial resistance to the drug may increase.
Also read about other medicine: O2