Table of Contents
- What is Okacet?
- Uses of Okacet
- How does Okacet work?
- How to take Okacet?
- Okacet Common Dosage
- When to Avoid Okacet?
- Precautions While Taking Okacet:
- Side-Effects of Okacet:
- Drug Interactions to be Careful About
- Buyer’s Guide – Okacet Composition, Variant and Price
- Substitutes of Okacet
- FAQs – 12 Important Questions Answered about Okacet
- Authored By –
1What is Okacet?
Okacet is mainly used to prevent or treat conditions Common cold, skin allergies and watery eyes etc. Somnolence (altered sleep pattern) is the major side effect seen with Okacet. It should be totally avoided in cases of renal impairment and allergic reactions
Okacet Composition: Cetrizine Hydrochloride 10 mg
Manufactured By: Cipla Pharmaceuticals Ltd
Prescription: Required as it comes under schedule ‘H’ but is also available as OTC
Form: Tablet and syrup.
Price: Rs 20.16 for 10 tablets.
Expiry/Shelf Life: 24 months from the date of manufacturing
Type of Drug: Antiallergic
2Uses of Okacet
Okacet serves a great purpose in the prevention or treatment of following conditions:
- Common cold: Used in cases of Common cold
- Running nose: Used to manage running nose
- Watery eyes: Used to treat Watery eyes
- Seasonal allergy: Used to treat and manage seasonal allergy
- Hay fever: Used to treat Hay fever
- Others: Used to treat sneezing, skin allergy and Itching caused by Hives
3How does Okacet work?
- Okacet contains Cetrizine as its active ingredient.
- Cetrizine is an antihistamine/antiallergic and works by blocking the chemical messenger known as histamine, which are responsible for the allergic reactions like itching, sneezing, etc.
- Okacet helps in treating the allergic symptoms by blocking the histamines.
4How to take Okacet?
- Okacet is present in the form of tablets and in the form of syrup (Okacet syrup).
- The okacet tablet can be taken by mouth with a glass of water with or without food as food has no effect on its absorption.
- Okacet tablet should never be chewed or crushed. It should be swallowed as a whole.
- In you are consuming Okacet suspension, the bottle should be shaken up well before consumption and a measuring cup should be used.
- Okacet tablet should be taken with equal time interval between two doses.
- It is advisable to go through the pack insert properly before consuming the drug to have a better understanding of the drug.
5Okacet Common Dosage
- The dosage of the drug is to be decided by the doctor for every individual as per the age, weight, mental status, allergic history of the patient.
- Common Adult dose of Okacet tablet is a single 10mg tablet once or a 5mg tablet twice a day as stated by the physician.
- Dose for children of 6-12 years of age is 2.5mg once daily.
- Common Paediatric dose of Okacet for children of 6months to 5 years is 1.25mg once a day.
- Dose alteration should be avoided without proper medical consultation.
- Paediatrician should be consulted when administering paediatric dose.
Q. What happens if I overdose on Okacet?
Overdose of Okacet can cause serious undesirable effects and can lead to complications in some cases.
Gastric lavage is performed in cases of overdose, by the doctor or trained medical staff.
Q. What happens if I miss a dose of Okacet?
Dose prescribed by the doctor should never be missed and if missed, it should be consumed always as soon as you remember it. But, avoid taking a double dose if it’s already time for the second dose after that as it may lead to overdose of the drug
Q. What happens if I eat expired Okacet?
Expired Okacet might not exhibit effects or any undesirable effects. However, one should abstain from consuming expired drug.
Q. Onset time of Okacet?
The effect of Okacet can be seen within 30-60 minutes of drug administration and the duration of action may last up to 24 hours.
Q. Till when does the effect of Okacet stays?
Although, the time taken by the drug to show its effect may vary with every individual patient.
Also Read: Omnacortil Dosage | Ondansetron Dosage | Ondem Dosage
6When to Avoid Okacet?
Do not Consume Okacet if:
- Elderly: In cases of elderly patients above the age of 65 years.
- Renal impairment: In cases of patients with kidney (renal) impairment dose alteration may be required.
- Dialysis: In cases of patient undergoing haemodialysis
- Allergy: In cases of patient allergic to the drug or its component.
7Precautions While Taking Okacet:
- Kidney impairment: Dose alteration may be required by the physician in patients with kidney impairments.
- Caution: Okacet should be used with extra caution in elderly patients
Warnings When Taking Okacet
- There should be equally spaced time interval between two doses.
- It is advisable to take the drug at night as it can cause sleepiness.
- The drug must be used with caution in patients with liver and renal impairment
8Side-Effects of Okacet:
The side effects associated with Okacet are:
- Somnolence (altered sleep pattern or drowsiness) (common)
- Fatigue (less common)
- Dry mouth (common)
- Nasopharyngitis (less common)
- Fever (less common)
- Cough (common)
- Epistaxis (bleeding from nose) (less common)
- Diarrhoea (common)
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions to Okacet?
- In case of any allergic signs like Breathing difficulty, Swelling of face,lips, Rashes
- Immediate medical help should be taken in case of any above signs appear.
What are the effects of Okacet on organs?
- Okacet should used with caution in patients with liver and kidney impairment.
- Okacet affects Central nervous system and can cause drowsiness, sleepiness.
9Drug Interactions to be Careful About
It is always advisable to be careful of certain drug to drug or drug to food interactions when consuming Okacet. Always be aware of the food items, other drugs or lab tests while consuming Okacet. We explore these n details below.
1. Food Interactions with Okacet
No particular food item is to be avoided
2. Medicines Interactions with Okacet
All the potential drug interactions might not be listed here. It is always advisable that the patient must inform the physician about of all the drugs/products you use. You must notify the doctor about the herbal products that you are currently consuming. You should never alter the drug regimen without your doctor’s approval.
The common drug interactions have been noticed with the following drugs:
- Alcohol (moderate)
- Theophylline (mild)
- Ritonavir (moderate)
3. Effects of Okacet on Lab Tests
Okacet does not affect any lab tests as such.
4. Okacet’s interactions with Pre-existing Conditions/Diseases
Q. Can I have Okacet with alcohol?
No, as consuming alcohol with Okacet may cause drowsiness/sleepiness. The doctor should always be consulted before taking alcohol with Okacet.
Q. Any particular food item to be avoided?
No interaction with food item has been reported yet.
Q. Can I have Okacet when pregnant?
Okacet during pregnancy should be taken only if necessary and advised by the doctor
The doctor should always be informed if you are pregnant or planning to conceive.
Q. Can I have Okacet when feeding a baby?
No, lactating mothers should not consume Okacet because it is excreted in human milk.
Therefore, the doctor should always be informed
Q. Can I drive after taking Okacet?
Okacet affects the Central nervous system and can cause drowsiness or sleepiness. Therefore, one should avoid driving or operating heavy machinery if drowsiness or dizziness occurs after taking Okacet
Also Read: Omeprazole Side Effect | Omez D Side Effect
10Buyer’s Guide – Okacet Composition, Variant and Price
|Okacet Variants||Okacet Composition||Okacet Price (Rs.)|
|Okacet Cold Tablet||Cetrizine 5mg + Phenylephrine 10mg + Paracetamol 325mg||Rs. 39 for 10 tablets|
|Okacet Cold Total Tablet||Levocetrizine 5mg + Phenylephrine 10mg + Paracetamol 500mg||Rs. 73 for 10 tablets|
|Okacet L Tablet||Levocetrizine 5mg||Rs. 57 for 10 tablets|
|Okacet 30 ml Syrup||Cetrizine 5mg/5ml||Rs. 18.67 for 1 pack|
11Substitutes of Okacet
The following are alternative drugs for Okacet:
- CTZ 10mg Tablet:
- Manufactured by Psychotropics India Ltd
- Price- Rs. 19.75
- Cetiriz 10mg Tablet:
- Manufactured by Alkem Laboratories
- Price- Rs. 16.76
- Cope 10mg Tablet:
- Manufactured by Mankind Pharma Ltd
- Price- Rs. 16.74
- Triz 10mg Tablet:
- Manufactured by Indoco Remedies Ltd
- Price- Rs. 17.36
Also Read: Ornidazole Price | Orofer XT Price
Storage requirements for Okacet
- Store the Okacet tablet at a dry, moisture free place away from direct heat or sunlight at room temperature.
- Keep it at a place away from children’s reach.
12FAQs – 12 Important Questions Answered about Okacet
Q. What is Okacet?
Ans. Okacet is a single component drug that contains Cetrizine as its main active ingredient. Okacet belongs to the class of antihistamines or antiallergic drugs. It is being used in cases of allergic reactions like runny nose, skin allergies etc.
Q. What are the uses of Okacet ?
Ans. It is being used in cases of allergic reactions like runny nose, skin allergies etc.
Q. What are the side effects of Okacet ?
Ans. The most common side effects of Okacet are Somnolence (altered sleep pattern or drowsiness), Fatigue, Dry mouth, Nasopharyngitis, Fever
Q. How effective is Okacet?
Ans. The effect of Okacet can be seen within 30-60 minutes of drug administration and the duration of action may last up to 24 hours.
Q. Should Okacet be taken on an empty stomach?
Ans. Okacet should not be taken empty stomach to prevent stomach upset.
Q. Does Okacet make you drowsy?
Ans. Yes, Okacet does cause drowsiness/sleepiness but it varies with every individual.
Q. What should be the time gap between the consumption of 2 Okacet doses?
Ans. Ideal time gap of 4-6 hours should be there between two doses.
Q. Should I complete the whole cycle of the medicine even if cured?
Ans. Okacet should be consumed as prescribed by the doctor and in case of any severity of symptoms, immediate medical help or consultation should be taken. And the doctor should be the one to decide when and how to stop the cycle of Okacet.
Q. Does Okacet effect my menstrual cycle?
Ans. No, it generally doesn’t affect the menstrual cycle but one should always consult the doctor in case of pre existing menstrual problems before consuming the drug
Q. Is Okacet safe for children?
Ans. Okacet is not to be administered in children without proper consultation and recommendation by the Paediatrician should be taken.
Q. Are there any symptoms that I should consider before taking Okacet?
Ans. Any kidney disease or allergic reactions are to be taken into consideration before taking Okacet.
Q. Is Okacet legal in India?
Ans. Yes, it is legal in India.
Similar Reads –
Disclaimer – The information provided above is to the best of our research and knowledge. However, you are recommended to consult a physician before consuming the drug.