Skip to Content
- What is Olanzapine?
- Uses of Olanzapine
- How Does Olanzapine Work?
- How to Take Olanzapine?
- Olanzapine Price In India
- Common Dosage for Olanzapine?
- When to Avoid Olanzapine?
- Side Effects of Olanzapine
- Effects of Olanzapine on Organs?
- Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions?
- Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
- Effects/Results After Consuming Olanzapine
- Is Olanzapine addictive?
- Can I have Olanzapine with alcohol?
- Any particular food item to be avoided?
- Can I have Olanzapine when pregnant?
- Can I have Olanzapine when feeding a baby?
- Can I drive after taking Olanzapine?
- What happens if I overdose on Olanzapine?
- What happens if I eat expired Olanzapine?
- What happens if I miss a dose of Olanzapine?
- Storage Requirements
- Pro Tips When Taking Olanzapine
What is Olanzapine?
Olanzapine is an antipsychotic medicine mainly used for mood disorders.
Manufactured By – Unichem Laboratories Ltd
Buy & Get Minimum 20% Discount: 1Mg.Com Offers | Pharmeasy Discount Code
Uses of Olanzapine
Olanzapine is used to treat:
- Bipolar disorder
Also Read: Remeron Uses | Renvela Uses | Rifampin Uses
How Does Olanzapine Work?
Olanzapine works by regulating the activity and level of chemical messengers such as dopamine to improve your mood.
How to Take Olanzapine?
- Olanzapine tablet must be swallowed as a whole with a glass of water. You must not chew, crush or break the tablet while taking it.
- If you are prescribed with disintegrating tablets when place it on your tongue and let it dissolve slowly in your mouth.
- If you are prescribed with injection form then your doctor or nurse will give you the dosages.
Olanzapine Price In India
|Cinol Forte Olanzapine 10 mg, Fluoxetine 20 mg: Volume 100||Rs 830.00|
Common Dosage for Olanzapine?
Olanzapine is generally prescribed once or twice daily. Your doctor may alter your dosage and its frequency depending upon the severity of your condition.
When to Avoid Olanzapine?
Avoid Olanzapine if:
- You are Elderly and suffering from dementia
- You have high blood sugar
- You have blood clotting issues
- You have gastrointestinal disease
- You have enlarged prostate gland
Side Effects of Olanzapine
Some of the commonly reported side effects of Olanzapine are:
- Weight gain
- Increased prolactin level in blood
- sudden lowering of blood pressure on standing
- Dryness in mouth
- Muscle rigidity
Effects of Olanzapine on Organs?
Olanzapine tablet is not safe for the patients with kidney and liver disease. Your doctor may adjust your dose as per your requirement.
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions?
Some of the common allergic reactions reported with olanzapine tablet are hives, difficulty breathing, and swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
One needs to be careful about the following drug interactions when consuming Olanzapine:
- Aluminium Hydroxide/
- Magnesium Hydroxide
- Blood pressure lowering drugs
Effects/Results After Consuming Olanzapine
Olanzapine starts its action within 2 to 3 hours of administration. You will notice an improvement in your mood after taking this medication
Things to Know About Olanzapine
Is Olanzapine addictive?
No habit forming tendency has been reported.
Can I have Olanzapine with alcohol?
It is better to avoid alcohol when on Olanzapine. Consult your doctor about limiting alcohol with this medication.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
You must consult your doctor regarding the foods to be avoided.
Can I have Olanzapine when pregnant?
In most cases, it is not safe to take Olanzapine if you are pregnant or planning a pregnancy. Consult your doctor if it is absolutely necessary to take this medication.
Can I have Olanzapine when feeding a baby?
Olanzapine is known to pass in mother’s milk to a baby. Consult your doctor if it is absolutely necessary to take this medication while you are breastfeeding.
Can I drive after taking Olanzapine?
It is generally safe to drive while taking Olanzapine. However, if you experience drowsiness, dizziness, a headache or any side effect that alters your consciousness then it may not be safe to drive.
What happens if I overdose on Olanzapine?
An overdose of Olanzapine will not improve your symptoms. It may even cause serious side-effects like stomach pain, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Consult your doctor immediately in case of overdose.
What happens if I eat expired Olanzapine?
If by mistake you consume a dose of expired Olanzapine tablet, the chances of harm are very less. It is advised to check the label for expiry date always before use.
What happens if I miss a dose of Olanzapine?
As soon as you remember, take the missed dose. However, if it is already time for next dose, carry on with your regular schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for the missed dose.
- Always store Olanzapine at a temperature around 25 degree Celsius
- Storing in moisture prone places like bathroom may damage the tablet
- Keep this medicine away from direct heat and sunlight
- Store it where your children and pets can’t reach
Pro Tips When Taking Olanzapine
- Do not try to self-adjust the dose. Take it in the quantity prescribed by your doctor.
- Do not share your medication with anyone even if they have a similar condition.
- Discuss the pros and cons of Olanzapine if you are pregnant or planning a pregnancy or if you are breastfeeding.
- You must take this medication for at least 4 to 6 weeks for full effect.
- Initial doses of Olanzapine may cause dizziness and drowsiness hence you must avoid activities that need alertness.
- Smoking cigarette may decrease the level of Olanzapine in blood.
- Olanzapine is not suitable for adults and children below 18 years of age.
Also read about other meidicine's: Pyrazinamide | Ranexa