Table of Contents
- What is Oleanz?
- Uses of Oleanz
- How does Oleanz work?
- How to Take Oleanz?
- Common Dosage for Oleanz
- When to avoid Oleanz?
- Precautions While Taking Oleanz
- Side-Effects of Oleanz
- Drug Interactions to be Careful About
- Oleanz – Composition, Variant, and Price– Buyer’s Guide
- Substitutes of Oleanz
- FAQs- 10 Important Questions Answered about Oleanz
1What is Oleanz?
Oleanz belongs to a group of drugs called “atypical antipsychotic drugs” which are used for the treatment of certain mental disorders. Oleanz works by restoring the balance of certain neurotransmitters (chemicals) in the brain that helps regulate mood. Oleanz is available in tablet form for oral administration in different strengths and should always be administered under medical supervision as it may lead to several adverse effects like weight change, dizziness etc.
Oleanz Composition – Olanzapine in different strengths: 2.5mg, 5mg, 7.5mg, 10mg
Manufactured by – Sun Pharma Laboratories Ltd
Prescription– Prescription needed
Form – Tablet
Price – Rs. 40
Type of Drug –Atypical Antipsychotic
2Uses of Oleanz
Oleanz is used for the treatment of:
- Schizophrenia (chronic mental disorder which changes person’s ability to think, feel and behave clearly. It is characterized by hallucinations, delusion, disorganised behaviour etc)
- Bipolar disorder (mental disorder characterized by extreme mood shifts from depression to mania)
- Depression – in combination with other drugs
Read About: Predmet Uses
3How does Oleanz work?
Dopamine acts as one of the most important neurotransmitters of the brain. Change in the dopamine activity can cause psychotic problems. Oleanz has a selective action on dopamine receptors thus it acts by modulating the action of these neurotransmitters in the brain.
Also Read: Modalert Composition
4 How to Take Oleanz?
- Oleanz is available in tablet form in various strengths for oral administration (2.5mg, 5mg, 7.5mg, 10mg, and 20mg).
- When taken in oral form, it can be administered with or without food as its absorption is not affected by food.
- Swallow the tablet as a whole with fluids. Do not chew, break, or crush the tablet.
- Never use Oleanz in more than the recommended dose or for longer periods of time without doctor’s consent.
- To minimize the risk of adverse effects, your doctor might initially start with a low dose and gradually increase your dose.
- Do not stop treatment with Oleanz suddenly. The dosage should be tapered gradually and then stopped. Stopping the medicine suddenly may lead to withdrawal symptoms.
5 Common Dosage for Oleanz
The drug dosage is decided by the physician based upon:
- Health status/medical condition of the patient
- Severity of symptoms
- Reaction to the first dose
- History of allergy/drug reactions
- In adult patients suffering from schizophrenia, the initial starting dose is 5-10mg per day which can be incremented later depending upon the condition.
- Once the desired results are achieved, the maintenance dose should not exceed 10-20mg per day.
- For patients with bipolar disorder, 10-15mg/ day is administered initially, while the maximum limit of maintenance dose is 20mg/day.
- In elderly patients and patients suffering from liver disorders, dose adjustment is necessary.
- In children less than 13 years, safety and efficacy are not established.
Q. What happens if I overdose on Oleanz?
Oleanz should not be administered in more than prescribed dose. Taking increased dose will not improve your symptoms earlier; rather it may lead to serious side-effects like drowsiness, fall in blood pressure, agitation. In case of overdosage, consult your doctor immediately.
Q. What happens if I miss a dose of Oleanz?
The potency of the medicine may decrease because, for effective working of the drug, a certain amount of drug must be present in your body at all times. Always consume the missed dose as soon as you remember. But, if it’s already time for the next dose – do not double the dose.
Q. What happens if I eat expired Oleanz?
The medicine may not work as well as the potency of the medicine gets affected. Please inform your physician regarding the same. To be on the safer side, always check and never use an expired medicine.
Q. What is the onset time of Oleanz?
The peak effect can be observed in 5-8 hours of oral administration however patients may notice a substantial improvement in a few weeks following treatment with Oleanz therapy. Even if symptoms disappear, it should be taken until advised as abrupt stopping can lead to unwanted withdrawal symptoms.
Q. Till when does the effect of Oleanz stay?
The duration of time for which the medicine remains effective varies depending upon the clinical condition as the effect of this medicine is cumulative.
Read About: Mucinac Dosage
6 When to avoid Oleanz?
Oleanz should not be used in the following conditions:
- Allergic to any of its components
- Patients with Neutropenia (decreased neutrophil count)
- People with liver or kidney problem
- Diabetic patients
- Patients with Parkinson’s disease
- Patients with dementia-related psychosis
- Glaucoma patients
- Epileptic patients
- Alcoholic patients
- Pregnant and lactating mothers
7Precautions While Taking Oleanz
- Patients with behavioral disturbances and dementia-related psychosis should administer Oleanz with caution due to increased risk of cerebrovascular accident and mortality.
- Alteration in blood glucose and lipid levels have been observed in Oleanz treating patients thus close and regular monitoring of blood sugar and lipid levels should be done.
- Abrupt discontinuation of Oleanz may lead to withdrawal symptoms like sweating, tremor, anxiety, and difficulty in sleeping. This dose should be gradually tapered before discontinuing.
Know More: Voriconazole Precaution
8 Side-Effects of Oleanz
Majority of the patients do not show any side effects. Few patients might show side effects which include:
- Drowsiness (common)
- Dizziness (common)
- Nausea (common)
- Vomiting (common)
- Dry mouth (less common)
- Insomnia – difficulty in sleeping (less common)
- Loss of appetite (less common)
- Tremor (less common)
- Weakness (less common)
- Anxiety (less common)
- Low sexual desire (less common)
- Delayed ejaculation (less common)
- Blurred vision (vision changes) (less common)
- Alteration in blood glucose levels (less common)
- Weight changes (less common)
In addition, it may also cause some allergic or unwanted effects. In such cases, seek medical attention immediately.
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions to Oleanz?
Tell your doctor if you are allergic to any of its ingredients.
Signs and symptoms include:
- Rash (common)
- Itching (common)
- Shortness of breath (less common)
- Swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat (rare)
- Loss of consciousness (rare)
What are the effects of Oleanz on organs?
- Oleanz should be used cautiously in patients with prolonged QT interval, congestive heart failure (heart disease) and thromboembolism.
- Patients with a history of liver disease and epilepsy (seizures) should administer Oleanz with caution and under the observation of a doctor.
9Drug Interactions to be Careful About
Drug interaction refers to the effect of drugs on each other and on the human body after ingestion. Large numbers of medicines have shown to interact with each other. Interactions are not just limited to drugs, but certain food items and some laboratory tests which should not be taken right after consuming Oleanz. We explore these in details below.
1. Food Interactions with Oleanz
No such interaction with food products observed.
2. Medicines Interactions with Oleanz
It is always advised that the patient must inform the physician about all the drugs/over the counter products/vitamin supplements used. It may interact with the following drugs and products:
- Alcohol (mild)
- Carbamazepine (moderate)
- Phenytoin (moderate)
- Barbiturates (moderate)
- Atropine (moderate)
- Methyldopa (severe)
- Diazepam (severe)
- Alprazolam (severe)
3. Effects of Oleanz on Lab Tests
No effect on any lab tests noted while taking Oleanz.
4. Interactions with Pre-existing Conditions/Diseases
Patients suffering from pre-existing liver diseases and cardiac disease (congenital heart disease and prolonged QT interval) must consult their physician before consuming Oleanz.
Q. Can I have Oleanz with alcohol?
Concomitant administration of Oleanz with alcohol increases the risk of side effects like dizziness and drowsiness thus it should be avoided.
Q. Any particular food item to be avoided?
No interactions observed with any food products.
Q. Can I have Oleanz when pregnant?
Oleanz should be used with caution in pregnancy as it has shown adverse effects on foetus, especially when administered in the third trimester. Therefore Oleanz should only be used if the benefits justify the risk to the foetus.
Q. Can I have Oleanz when feeding a baby?
Oleanz should not be used in breastfeeding women as the drug may pass into breast milk and lead to fatal adverse effects in foetus.
Q. Can I drive after taking Oleanz?
Oleanz does affect your ability to drive as it is associated with side effects like drowsiness, headache, dizziness thus it may not be advisable to drive a vehicle and operate heavy machinery while on this medication.
10 Oleanz – Composition, Variant, and Price– Buyer’s Guide
|Oleanz Variants||Oleanz Composition||Oleanz Price|
|Oleanz forte||Olanzapine – 10mg, Fluoxetine – 10mg||Rs. 142|
|Oleanz RT 10||Olanzapine – 10mg (rapidly dissolving tablet)||Rs. 67.55|
Buy & Get Minimum 30% Discount: Pharmeasy Coupons | Myra Medicines Coupons
11Substitutes of Oleanz
The following are alternative drugs for Oleanz:
- Olexa 5mg Tablet
- Manufactured by – Cipla Ltd
- Price – Rs. 24.88
- Tolaz 15mg
- Manufactured by – Torren Pharmaceuticalsls
- Price – Rs. 89.1
- Manufactured by – Mankind pharmaceuticals Ltd
- Price – Rs. 93.75
Storage requirements for Oleanz
- Storage at room temperature away from direct light and heat unless mentioned in the package insert.
- Keep medicines away from children and pets.
Read About: Modalert Price | Vincomo Plus Price
12FAQs- 10 Important Questions Answered about Oleanz
Q. What is Oleanz?
Oleanz belongs to a group of drugs called “atypical antipsychotic drugs” which are used for the treatment of certain mental disorders. Oleanz works by restoring the balance of certain neurotransmitters (chemicals) in the brain that helps regulate mood.
Q. What are the uses of Oleanz?
Oleanz is used for the treatment of Schizophrenia, Bipolar disorder, and Depression – in combination with other drugs.
Q. What are the side effects of Oleanz?
Majority of patients don’t show any side effects but might show which include Drowsiness, Dizziness, Nausea, and Vomiting. Other Less common side effects include Dry mouth, Insomnia – difficulty in sleeping, Loss of appetite, Tremor, Weakness, Anxiety and Low sexual desire.
Q. Should Oleanz be taken on an empty stomach?
Oleanz can be administered with or without food.
Q. Does Oleanz make you drowsy?
Yes, Oleanz may make you feel dizzy and drowsy.
Q. What should be the time gap between the intakes of two Oleanz doses?
There should be a time gap of at least 8-12 hours between two doses of Oleanz.
Q. Should I complete the whole cycle of the medicine even if cured?
A complete course prescribed by your doctor must be taken for a complete cessation of symptoms from your body.
Q. Does Oleanz effect my menstrual cycle?
Oleanz may affect the menstrual cycle in females.
Q. Is Oleanz safe for children?
Oleanz is safe for consumption in children above 6 years of age. Children below 6 years should use it with caution.
Q. Are there any symptoms that I should consider before taking Oleanz?
Patients with heart disorder should get ECG done before administering large doses of Oleanz.
Q. Is Oleanz legal in India?
Yes, Oleanz is legal in India.
Disclaimer – The information provided above is to the best of our research and knowledge. However, you are recommended to consult a physician before consuming the drug.