What is Omeprazole?
- Omeprazole belongs to group of drugs called as “proton pump inhibitors” which are used for the treatment of acidity, heart burn, stomach ulcer etc.
- It is available in capsule form (10mg, 20mg and 40mg).
- Omeprazole can be used in the prevention, control and treatment of following diseases and symptoms:
- Gastroesophageal reflex disease (GERD)
- Gastric ulcer/peptic ulcer
- Zollinger Ellison syndrome
- Heart burn
- Erosive Esophagitis
- Helicobacter pylori infection
- Gastrin secreting tumour
- Omeprazole can also be used for purposes not mentioned above.
Buy & Get Minimum 20% Discount: Myra Medicines | Netmeds
How does Omeprazole work?
- Omeprazole belongs to group of drugs called as “proton pump inhibitor” which are used for the treatment of peptic ulcer.
- Omeprazole works by inhibiting gastric acid secretion. It inhibits acid secretion both in resting phase as well as when stimulated by food thus preventing heart burn and gastric ulcer disease.
- When taken for once a day for one week, Omeprazole achieved up to 80-98% inhibition of 24 hour gastric acid secretion.
Omeprazole Price in India
|Strip of 10 Capsules||Rs 24.25|
Also Read: Omnacortil Price | Ondansetron Price | Ondem Price
How to Take Omeprazole?
- Omeprazole is available in capsule form for oral use.
- The dosage and duration of treatment with Omeprazole should be decided by the doctor. Do not take more than or less than the recommended dose.
- Omeprazole is well absorbed orally and should be taken empty stomach (at least half an hour before food) in the morning.
- The capsule should be swallowed as a whole without crushing, chewing or breaking it along with plenty of fluids.
- It is always advisable to take the oral dose at a fixed time every day.
Common Dosage for Omeprazole?
- The optimum duration of treatment with Omeprazole varies with the condition of the patient and initial response to the drug.
- The recommended dose for Omeprazole in adults is one 20mg capsule once daily half an hour before food for acidity, heart burn and 40mg capsule once daily for gastric ulcer.
- Depending upon the severity of condition, oral Omeprazole can be administered for 4- 8 weeks for symptomatic relief. In patients who have not healed, additional 8 weeks course can be given.
- Patients with kidney and liver disease must use it with caution and under supervision of a doctor.
- In case of non-improvement of symptoms or symptoms getting worse, consult your doctor immediately.
Also Read: Ornidazole Dosage | Orofer Dosage | Ovral L Dosage
When to Avoid Omeprazole?
- Omeprazole should be avoided or used with caution in following patients:
- Patients with allergy to any of its components
- Blockage in intestine
- Patients with electrolyte disturbance especially Magnesium, potassium and calcium
- Patients with severe kidney and liver disease
- Patients with pre-existing vitamin B12 deficiency
Side-effects of Omeprazole:
Common side effects with Omeprazole include:
- Abdominal pain
- Skin rash
- Joint pains
- Increased chances of bone fracture (when taken for longer duration)
In addition, it may also cause some allergic or unwanted effects. In such cases, seek medical attention immediately.
Effect on organs?
- Patients with severe liver and kidney disease should use Omeprazole with caution. Dose adjustment by doctor might be needed in few cases.
Reported Allergic Reactions?
Report to your doctor if you are allergic to the ingredients of Omeprazole or other proton pump inhibitor drugs.
Signs of allergic reaction include:
- Rashes/itching of skin
- Shortness of breath
- Swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat
- Loss of consciousness
Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
- Drug interactions refer to effect of drugs on each other and on human body following ingestion.
- Large numbers of medicines have shown interaction with other drugs resulting in decreased therapeutic effect and increased chances of side effects.
- It is always advised that the patient must inform the doctor of all the drugs/over the counter products/vitamin supplements being used along with Omeprazole.
- All the possible drug interactions might not be listed here. Few important drug interactions with Omeprazole include:
Shows Effects / Results In:
- The effects of Omeprazole start within 30 minutes to 1 hour following oral administration and reaches its peak effect in 2 to 2.5 hours
Is Omeprazole addictive?
- No such tendency has been reported.
Can I have Omeprazole with alcohol?
- Consumption of alcohol is not recommended when on Omeprazole therapy as alcohol increases acidity and may further aggregate the problem thereby reducing the potency of Omeprazole.
- Consult your doctor before administering alcohol along with Omeprazole.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
- No such interaction with food products seen.
Can I have Omeprazole when pregnant?
- Omeprazole is safe to use during pregnancy however it should only be used when clearly needed.
- Always communicate with your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant for case specific recommendations.
Can I have Omeprazole when feeding a baby?
- Nursing mothers are advised to use Omeprazole with caution as the drug may pass into breast milk and could harm the baby.
- Always inform your doctor before if you are breast-feeding your child.
Can I drive after taking Omeprazole?
- Few patients on Omeprazole may experience side effects like dizziness, headache, decreased alertness etc.
- Caution must be exercised in such patients when driving or operating heavy machinery.
What happens if I overdose on Omeprazole?
- Omeprazole should not be administered in more than recommended dose or for longer duration as it may lead to toxicity.
- If anyone is suspected of an over-dosage, seek medical attention immediately.
What happens if I take expired Omeprazole?
- Taking a single expired dose may not cause any major adverse effect. However, the potency of the medicine may well have been reduced.
- To be on the safer side, always check and never use an expired drug.
What happens if I miss a dose of Omeprazole?
- Always administer the missed dose as soon as you remember it. But, if it’s already time for the second dose- do not take double the dose to make up for the missed dose.
Storage of Omeprazole
Stored at room temperature away from direct sunlight and heat.
Keep medicines away from children and pets.
Pro Tips When Taking Omeprazole:
- Omeprazole when used in larger doses and for longer duration may increase your risk for bone fractures (osteoporosis) especially among elderly.
- When used for longer duration, it may also cause difficult in absorption of vitamin B12 and thus deficiency of Vitamin B12.