Skip to Content
- Q. What happens if I overdose on Omez D?
- Q. What happens if I miss a dose of Omez D?
- Q. What happens if I eat expired Omez D?
- Q. What is the onset time of Omez D?
- Q. Till When Does The Effect of Omez D Stay?
- Warnings When Taking Omez D
- Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions to Omez D?
- What Are The Effects of Omez D Capsule on Organs?
- 1. Food Interactions with Omez D
- 2. Medicines Interactions with Omez D
- 3. Effects of Omez D on Lab Tests
- 4. Omez D’s interactions with Pre-existing Conditions/Diseases
- Q. Can I have Omez D with alcohol?
- Q. Any particular food item to be avoided?
- Q. Can I have Omez D when pregnant?
- Q. Can I have Omez D when feeding a baby?
- Q. Can I drive after taking Omez D?
- Storage Requirements for Omez D Capsule
- Q. What is Omez D?
- Q. What are the uses of Omez D?
- Q. What are the side effects of Omez D?
- Q. How effective is Omez D?
- Q. How long does it take for Omez D to show results?
- Q. Should Omez D be taken on an empty stomach?
- Q. Does Omez D make you drowsy?
- Q. What should be the time gap between the intake of 2 Omez D Capsule?
- Q. Should I complete the whole cycle of the medicine even if cured?
- Q. Does Omez D effect my menstrual cycle?
- Q. Is Omez D safe for children?
- Q. Are there any symptoms that I should consider before taking Omez D?
- Q. Is Omez D legal in India?
What is Omez D?
Omez d is predominantly used to prevent or treat acidity, heartburn, nausea and vomiting.. Dry mouth and Dizziness are the side effects at repetitive high doses od omez d. It should be totally avoided in case of obstructive intestinal diseases and in patients with allergic history.
Omez D Composition: Omeprazole 20mg, Domperidone 30mg
Manufactured by: Dr Reddy’s Laboratory.
Prescription: To be sold by prescription but it is also available as OTC (Over the counter)
Form: Capsules and Syrups
Price: Rs 135 for 15 Capsules.
Expiry/Shelf Life: 24 months from the date of manufacturing
Type of Drug:Antiemetic and Antacid
Uses of Omez D
Omez D serves a dual purpose as it works for pain as well as fever. It is prescribed for the following:
- Gastro esophageal Reflex Disease (GERD): Used in cases of GERD as it prevents the acidic content of the stomach from regurgitating backwards into the esophagus.
- Motion sickness: Used in cases of Motion sickness as it contains Domperidone that acts as an antiemetic and controls the vomiting centre in the brain.
- Gastric Ulcer: Used to treat the gastric ulcer.
- Nausea & Vomiting: Used to prevent or treat Nausea and vomiting as it contains Domperidone.
- Heartburn: Used to treat symptoms of heartburn as Omez D exhibits anti-acidic properties.
- Zollinger Ellison Syndrome: Used to treat Zollinger Ellison Syndrome in which acid secretion in stomach increases. Omez D helps to counteract the increased acid secretion in such cases.
- Helicobacter Pylori Infection: Used in conditions like H.pylori infections.
- Erosive Esophagitis: Used to treat conditions like erosive esophagitis.
- Others: Used in cases of idiopathic or diabetic induced delayed stomach emptying known as Gastroparesis.
How Does Omez D Work?
- Main constituents of Omez D are Omeprazole and Domperidone
- Omeprazole is a proton pump inhibitor (PPI ) which works by getting ionized to its active form (sulfenamide group) rapidly as soon as they are exposed to the acidic environment of the stomach
- These sulfenamide group forms a covalent bond with SH (Sulfhydrl) group of proton pump and blocks it irreversibly, thereby blocking the acid secretion.
- Domperidone is an antiemetic, which works on the dopamine receptors as it is a dopamine antagonist. It works by impelling the food down through the food pipe from stomach to intestine at a faster rate.
- Domperidone also blocks the food from flowing back its way up through food pipe and inhibits vomiting centre in the brain, eventually treating the feeling of nausea and vomiting.
How to Take Omez D?
- Omez D is available in form of capsules for oral administration.
- The duration and dose of the drug is to be followed as per the doctor and should not be altered without proper consultation.
- Omez D should be taken empty stomach (at least half an hour before food), as food decreases the bioavailability of Omeprazole.
- It is advised to take Omez D in the morning (before breakfast) so that its peak serum concentration coincides with maximal activity of proton pumps.
- Omez D capsule should not be chewed or crushed instead it is advisable to swallow it as a whole with plenty of water.
- Drug should not be discontinued without proper medical consultation even if symptoms have disappeared.
Common Dosage for Omez D
- The dosage of the drug is to be decided by the doctor for every individual as per the age, weight, mental status, allergic history of the patient.
- The common dose of Omez D is One capsule a day in the morning before breakfast but it can be modified to two capsules a day also (in morning and evening), depending on the condition of the patient.
- Omez D should not be used for more than 14 days unless advised by the doctor.
- It is advisable not to alter or stop the dose of the drug without proper medical consultation.
Q. What happens if I overdose on Omez D?
Omez D dosage should be strictly consumed as per the prescription by the doctor. The doctor should be consulted immediately in case of Omez D overdose, if signs like tremors, confusion, drowsiness are seen. Overdose of Omez D can lead to toxicity
Q. What happens if I miss a dose of Omez D?
Omez D should always be taken as per the fixed time schedule and in case of the missed dose, always try to consume it as soon as you remember. But, avoid taking the missed dose if it’s already time to take the second dose as it may lead to drug toxicity or drug overdose.
Q. What happens if I eat expired Omez D?
Expired Omez D may not cause any undesirable effect but it is advisable to avoid consuming the expired drug as it may not be efficacious enough to provide the needed results and the doctor should be immediately consulted in case of any undesirable symptoms after consuming the expired drug.
Q. What is the onset time of Omez D?
The Drug has a half-life of 1-2 hour and its effects of start within 30 minutes to 1 hour following oral administration and reaches its maximum activity (inhibition of acid) in 2 hours.
Q. Till When Does The Effect of Omez D Stay?
It takes 3-4days for normal return of acid secretion, once Omez D is withdrawn.
Also Read: Okacet Dosage | Omeprazole Dosage | Omnacortil Dosage
When to Avoid Omez D?
Do not Consume Omez D Capsule in the following scenarios:
- Liver disorders: In known cases of Liver dysfunction or diseases, Omez D should be avoided or used only when advised by the doctor.
- Kidney Diseases: In known cases of Kidney disease, Omez D should be avoided unless stated otherwise by the doctor.
- Allergy: In known cases of the known history of allergy to Omez D or any of its ingredients.
- Heart diseases: In the known history of patients with Congestive heart failure.
- Obstruction: In known cases of obstructive intestinal diseases.
- Osteoporosis: In cases of osteoporosis, Omez D should be avoided.
- Others: In cases of electrolyte disturbance especially of magnesium, potassium and calcium.
Precautions While Taking Omez D
- Proper Consumption: Avoid Chewing or crushing the capsules; instead swallow the capsule as a whole.
- Allergic Reaction: Allergic reaction, if occurs after taking Omez D should be immediately reported to the doctor or trained medical staff.
- Prolonged use: Avoid prolonged use without medical consultation as long term use increases the risk of gastric neoplasia ( stomach cancer)
- Time Interval: Fixed time interval of atleast 4-6hours between two doses if advised twice a day in severe cases.
Warnings When Taking Omez D
- Consuming more than the daily prescribed dose or altering the dose in any manner may lead to increased risk of side effects.
- Omez D should preferably be administered in the morning.
Side-Effects of Omez D
The side effects associated with Omez D capsule used for different treatments are:
- Diarrhoea (less common)
- Headache (less common)
- Abdominal Pain (less common)
- Dizziness (less Common)
- Dry mouth (Common)
- Rashes (Rare)
- Dry mouth (common)
- Flatulence (less common)
- Increased Chances of bone fracture (less common)
- May inhibit absorption of Vitamin B12 (less common)
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions to Omez D?
Possible allergic reactions reported for Omez D are:
- Rashes (less common)
- Swelling of eye, face, lips, mouth or tongue (less common)
- Loss of Consciousness (rare)
What Are The Effects of Omez D Capsule on Organs?
- Dose adjustment may be required in patients with severe liver and kidney impairment
- Prolonged use may lead to increased gastrin levels which further leads to increased risk of stomach cancer.
Drug Interactions With Omez D to be Careful About
It is always advisable to be careful of a certain drug to drug or drug to food interactions when consuming Omez D. Always be aware of the food items, other drugs or lab tests while consuming Omez D. We explore these n details below.
1. Food Interactions with Omez D
No particular food item to be avoided.
2. Medicines Interactions with Omez D
- All the potential drug interactions might not be listed here. It is always advisable that the patient must inform the physician about of all the drugs/products you use. You must notify the doctor about the herbal products that you are currently consuming. You should never alter the drug regimen without your doctor’s approval.
The common drug interactions have been noticed with the following drugs:
- Alcohol (moderate)
- Ketoconazole and Digoxin: decreased gastric acidity due to Omez D can decrease the absorption of Ketoconazole and Digoxin (moderate)
- Warfarin, phenytoin, carbamazepin and benzodiazepines (Severe): Omez D may enhance their effects by decreasing their metabolism.
- Atropine (Mild)
- Clarithromycin (mild)
- Amiodarone (mild)
3. Effects of Omez D on Lab Tests
Omez D doesn’t affect any laboratory test results.
4. Omez D’s interactions with Pre-existing Conditions/Diseases
Osteoporosis and Congestive heart failure are the diseases, which should be taken into consideration before consuming Omez D.
Q. Can I have Omez D with alcohol?
No, as there is an increased risk of acidity and reflux in food pipe as alcohol is acidic and can also decrease the potency of the drug.
Q. Any particular food item to be avoided?
No particular food item needs to be avoided when consuming Omez D.
Q. Can I have Omez D when pregnant?
No, it is not advised as undesirable effects of Omez D are seen on foetus in animal studies. The doctor should always be notified if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant for case specific recommendation.
Q. Can I have Omez D when feeding a baby?
Always notify the doctor if you are breastfeeding the child as a precautionary measure as Omez D is not recommended in lactating mothers.
Q. Can I drive after taking Omez D?
One should avoid taking Omez D while driving if it causes drowsiness or dizziness and it is advisable to avoid driving or operating heavy machinery in such cases.
Also Read: Ovral L Side Effect
Omez D Composition, Variant and Price – Buyer’s Guide
|Omez D Variants||Omez D Composition||Omez D Price (Rs.)|
|Omez-Dsr Capsule||Domperidone 30MG + Omeprazole 20MG||Rs. 140 for 15 capsules.|
|Omez 20 MG Capsule||Omez 20 MG Capsule||Rs. 52 for 20 capsules.|
|Omez 40 Tablet / Omez 40 MG Injection / Omez FF 40 MG Tablet||Omeprazole 40MG||Rs. 87.5 for 10 tablets|
|Omez 10 MG Capsule||Omeprazole 10MG||Rs. 33 for 15 capsules.|
|Omez Insta Sachet||Omeprazole 20MG||Rs. 11.42 for 1 sachet/pack.|
Buy Smart & Save Money: Netmeds Coupons | Myra Medicine Coupons
Substitutes of Omez D
The following are alternative drugs for Omez D:
- Ocid DSR Capsule:
- Manufactured by – Zydus Healthcare Ltd.
- Price – Rs. 120.8 for 10 capsules
- Omeday D Capsule:
- Manufactured by – Biovitamins Pvt Ltd.
- Price – Rs. 48.7 for 10 capsules
- Oskar DSR Capsule:
- Manufactured by – Mankind Pharma Ltd
- Price – Rs. 64 for 10 capsules
- Ome RD Capsule:
- Manufactured by – Blue Cross
- Price – Rs. 34.5 for 10 capsules
Storage Requirements for Omez D Capsule
- It should be stored at room temperature, away from direct heat and light
- Drug should be kept out of children’s reach.
FAQs – 13 Important Questions Answered about Omez D
Q. What is Omez D?
Ans. Omez D is mainly a fixed dose combination of two drugs as its active ingredient namely Omeprazole and Domperidone. Omez D belongs to the class of proton pump inhibitors as well as anti-emetics.
Anti-emetics basically treat nausea and vomiting, whereas proton pump inhibitors are used to treat acidity. It is used to treat acidity, heartburn, nausea and vomiting.
Q. What are the uses of Omez D?
Ans. It is used to treat acidity, heartburn, nausea and vomiting.
Q. What are the side effects of Omez D?
Ans. The most common side effects of Omez D are Diarrhoea, Headache, Abdominal Pain, Dizziness, Dry mouth, Rashes, Dry mouth, Flatulence, Increased Chances of bone fracture, May inhibit absorption of Vitamin B12.
Q. How effective is Omez D?
Ans. Omez D is effective as a painkiller due to its mixture of Omeprazole and Domperidone properties. However as an anti-emetics, there are other medicines which perform better when used to treat fever.
Q. How long does it take for Omez D to show results?
Ans. Omez D shows its effect within 30 minutes to 1 hour following oral administration and reaches its maximum activity (inhibition of acid) in 2 hours.
Q. Should Omez D be taken on an empty stomach?
Ans. Omez D should be taken empty stomach for better effects.
Q. Does Omez D make you drowsy?
Ans. Omez D might cause drowsiness in few cases but it varies with every individual.
Q. What should be the time gap between the intake of 2 Omez D Capsule?
Ans. Ideal time gap of atleast 4-6 hours should be there between two doses to avoid Omez D overdose.
Q. Should I complete the whole cycle of the medicine even if cured?
Ans. Omez D should be consumed as prescribed by the doctor and in case of any severity of symptoms, immediate medical help or consultation should be taken.
And the doctor should be the one to decide when and how to stop the cycle of Omez D.
Q. Does Omez D effect my menstrual cycle?
Ans. No, it generally doesn’t affect the menstrual cycle but one should always consult the doctor in case of pre existing menstrual problems before consuming the drug
Q. Is Omez D safe for children?
Ans. Omez D should only be administered in children after proper consultation and recommendation by the Paediatrician.
Q. Are there any symptoms that I should consider before taking Omez D?
Ans. Any heart disease, osteoporosis or allergic reactions are to be taken into consideration before taking Omez D.
Q. Is Omez D legal in India?
Ans. Yes, it is legal and manufactured by Sanofi India Ltd.
Similar Reads –
Disclaimer – The information provided above is to the best of our research and knowledge. However, you are recommended to consult a physician before consuming the drug.