Table of Contents
- What is Omnacortil?
- Uses of Omnacortil
- How does Omnacortil work?
- How to take Omnacortil?
- Common Dosage for Omnacortil
- When to Avoid Omnacortil?
- Precautions While Taking Omnacortil
- Side-Effects of Omnacortil
- Drug Interactions to be Careful About
- Buyer’s Guide – Omnacortil Composition, Variant and Price
- Substitutes of Omnacortil
- FAQs – 10 Questions Answered about Omnacortil
- Authored By –
1What is Omnacortil?
Used mainly to treat a different kind of allergic and inflammation reactions major Dry mouth and dizziness are the commonly seen side effects. It should be totally avoided in case of liver or kidney disease, heart problems, and disorders.
Omnacortil Composition: Prednisolone Sodium Phosphate (10 mg)
Manufactured By: Macleods Pharmaceuticals Ltd.
Prescription: Required as it comes under schedule ‘H’
Form: Tablets, injections, solution, and drops.
Price: Rs 91.5 for 15 tablets.
Expiry/Shelf Life: 24 months from the date of manufacturing
Type of Drug: corticosteroid
2Uses of Omnacortil
Omnacortil serves a great purpose in the treatment of the following conditions:
In the Allergic States
- Allergic rhinitis
- Contact dermatitis
- Atopic dermatitis
- Serum sickness
- Drug hypersensitivity reactions.
In Dermatological Diseases
- Bullous dermatitis herpetiformis
- Severe erythema multiforme (Stevens-Johnson syndrome)
- Exfoliative erythroderma
- Mycosis fungoides
In Edematous States
- To induce diuresis or remission of proteinuria in nephrotic syndrome
In Endocrine disorders
- Primary or secondary adrenocortical insufficiency
- congenital adrenal hyperplasia
In Gastrointestinal Diseases
- Ulcerative Colitis
- Regional Enteritis
In Haematological Disorders
- Idiopathic Thrombocytopenic Purpura
- Haemolytic Anaemia
In Neoplastic Diseases:
- Acute Leukemia
- Aggressive Lymphomas
In Ophthalmic Diseases:
- Ocular Inflammatory Conditions
In Respiratory Diseases:
- Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis
- Acute exacerbations of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
In Rheumatic Disorders:
- Psoriatic arthritis
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Ankylosing spondylitis
- Acute gouty arthritis
3How does Omnacortil work?
- Omnacortil works by exhibiting anti-inflammatory action.
- It inhibits the phases of inflammation like edema formation and capillary dilation and inhibits the development of chronic inflammation as well.
- Omnacortil inhibits the proliferation of mononuclear cells and decreases the production of eosinophils and lymphocytes and thereby inhibits the inflammatory process and also acts as an immunosuppressant.
4 How to take Omnacortil?
- Omnacortil is usually available in tablet form for adults and suspension form for paediatric use and also in the form of injections (administered by healthcare professionals)
- Omnacortil tablet is usually taken by mouth with a glass of water preferably in the morning
- When taking Omnacortil suspension, the bottle should be shaken up well to have a homogenous mix of the drug.
- Complete physician’s prescribed dose should be taken and one should consult with the doctor before the withdrawal of the drug.
- It is advisable to go through the drug leaflet available in the packet insert.
5 Common Dosage for Omnacortil
- Omnacortil dosage can be decided by the doctor for every individual as per Age, Weight, Mental status, Allergic history and Health status of the patient.
- The usual common adult dose of Omnacortil ranges from 5mg to 60 mg a day depending upon the severity and is decided by the physician only.
- The dosage can, later on, be reduced slowly after seeing the clinical effects of the drug on the patient’s body and the dose can be maintained at 5mg to 20 mg a day.
- Omnacortil should never be withdrawn abruptly to avoid withdrawal symptoms.
Q. What happens if I overdose on Omnacortil?
In the case of acute overdose, immediate gastric lavage or emesis followed by supportive and symptomatic therapy is advised. Seek medical help immediately in case of drug overdose
Q. What happens if I miss a dose of Omnacortil?
The dose prescribed by the doctor should never be missed and if missed, it should be consumed always as soon as you remember it. But, avoid taking a double dose if it’s already time for the second dose after that as it may lead to an overdose of the drug
Q. What happens if I eat expired Omnacortil?
For the effective working of the drug, a certain amount of drug must be present in your body at all times. Hence if you miss the dose, consume it as soon as you remember it. But, avoid taking a double dose if it’s already time to take the second dose after that as it can lead to an overdose of the drug.
Q. Onset time of Omnacortil and till when does the effect of Omnacortil stays?
- The effects or result of Omnacortil depends on the severity of the condition/disease being treated.
- Complete prescribed dose of the drug should be taken before stopping the treatment.
- Sudden withdrawal and dose alteration without proper medical consultation should be avoided.
6When to Avoid Omnacortil?
Do not Consume Omnacortil if:
- Allergy: In cases of a known history of allergy or hypersensitivity to the drug or any of its components.
- Fungal Infection: In cases of known history or any systemic fungal infections present.
- Cardiac or renal problem: In cases of cardiac or renal patients, large doses of Omnacortil should be avoided unless specified by the doctor as it can lead to increased blood pressure and other cardiac problems.
- Bacterial infection: In cases of infections caused by bacteria, fungi or virus as Omnacortil can mask some signs of infection once it has already been started in the body.
- Chicken pox: In cases of chicken pox and measles.
- Eye infection: In cases of optic neuritis and active ocular herpes simplex as it can lead to aggravation of new episodes.
- Parasitic infestation: In cases of known or suspected Strongyloides (threadworm) infestation.
- Malaria: Omnacortil should be avoided in cases of cerebral malaria.
- Tuberculosis: In cases of active tuberculosis and if used for the management of the disease in conjunction with an appropriate antituberculous regimen, close observation is necessary to avoid reactivation of the disease.
- Bone diseases: Omnacortil should be used with caution in patients at increased risk of osteoporosis (i.e., postmenopausal women.
- Myasthenia Gravis: Omnacortil at high doses should be avoided in cases of myasthenia gravis as it can worsen the condition.
7Precautions While Taking Omnacortil
- Avoid in Myasthenia Gravis: The drug should not be administered in patients with myasthenia gravis as it can aggravate the symptoms.
- Gradual withdrawal: Omnacortil should never be withdrawn abruptly as it can lead to withdrawal effects. The dose should always be reduced gradually.
- Concomitant medications: Patients on immunosuppressant doses of Omnacortil or other corticosteroids should be warned to avoid exposure to chicken pox or measles.
Warnings When Taking Omnacortil
- The doctor should always be informed in case of known allergy to Omnacortil.
- In cases of liver and renal impairment, the doctor should always be notified.
- In cases of Heart problems, myasthenia gravis, as it can worsen the problem.
- Always monitor the postprandial blood glucose, serum potassium, and calcium levels, bone mineral density and eye check up in patients with prolonged use of Omnacortil
8Side-Effects of Omnacortil
The side effects associated with Omnacortil are:
- Congestive heart failure in susceptible patients. (less common)
- Hypertension, fluid retention, hypokalemic alkalosis, potassium and calcium loss, and sodium retention. (common)
- Abdominal distention (less common)
- Pancreatitis (less common)
- Peptic ulcer (rare)
- Ulcerative esophagitis (rare)
- Loss of muscle mass and muscle weakness (common)
- Tendon ruptures and pathologic fractures of long bones (less common)
- Convulsions (less common)
- Headache (common)
- Increased Intracranial and intraocular pressure (less common)
- Exophthalmoses (protruding of the eyeball) (less common)
- Glaucoma (less common)
- Malaise (common)
- Nausea (common)
- Weight gain (common)
- Decreased carbohydrate tolerance (less common)
- Impaired wound healing, thin fragile skin, oedema, urticaria (less common)
- Manifestations of latent diabetes mellitus and irregular menstrual cycles(less common)
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions to Omnacortil?
- Some rare allergic reactions to Omnacortil have been reported.
- In case of any allergic symptoms like itching, redness, immediate medical help should be taken.
What are the effects of Omnacortil on organs?
- Dose adjustment is advisable in cases of renal and hepatic impairments.
- As Omnacortil can lead to increased blood glucose concentrations therefore, dose adjustment of antidiabetic agents may be required.
9Drug Interactions to be Careful About
It is always advisable to be careful of a certain drug to drug or drug to food interactions when consuming Omnacortil. Always be aware of the food items, other drugs or lab tests while consuming Omnacortil. We explore these n details below.
1. Food Interactions with Omnacortil
Grapefruit or its juice should be avoided while taking Omnacortil
2. Medicines Interactions with Omnacortil
All the potential drug interactions might not be listed here. It is always advisable that the patient must inform the physic about of all the drugs/products you use. You must notify the doctor about the herbal products that you are currently consuming. You should never alter the drug regimen without your doctor’s approval.
The common drug interactions have been noticed with the following drugs:
- Barbiturates, Phenytoin, Ephedrine, and Rifampin (as these drugs increases the metabolism of Omnacortil leading to increased dose demand ) (moderate)
- Cyclosporins (concurrent use leads to increased activity of both the drugs and convulsions in some cases) (severe)
- Estrogens (Increases the effect of Omnacortil by decreasing the metabolism) (mild)
- Ketoconazole (decreases metabolism of Omnacortil, leading to increased chances
- of side effects) (mild)
- Warfarin (decreases the response of warfarin) (severe)
- Aspirin or other NSAIDs (increases risk of gastrointestinal side effects) (moderate)
- Diuretics, Amphotericin-B (Increased risk of arrhythmias due to hypokalemia) (moderate)
3. Effects of Omnacortil on Lab Tests
Omnacortil affects the postprandial blood glucose, serum potassium and calcium levels, bone mineral density.
4. Omnacortil’s interactions with Pre-existing Conditions/Diseases
Any Liver or kidney diseases.
Q. Can I have Omnacortil with alcohol?
No. Omnacortil is already known to have effects on liver and consuming alcohol may worsen the effects.
Q. Any particular food item to be avoided?
Grapefruit or its juice should be avoided while taking Omnacortil
Q. Can I have Omnacortil when pregnant?
No, as there have been reports of adverse effects of the drug on animal foetus when given dose equivalent to human dose. Infants born to mothers who were on Omnacortil therapy during pregnancy should be observed for signs of hypoadrenalism. The doctor should always be notified if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant for case specific recommendations.
Q. Can I have Omnacortil when feeding a baby?
No, as systemically administered Omnacortil is secreted in human milk and could suppress growth, and interfere with endogenous corticosteroid production, or can also cause other undesired effects. Therefore, Caution is advised while administering Omnacortil to a nursing woman.
Q. Can I drive after taking Omnacortil?
Yes, Omnacortil doesn’t affect the ability to drive. However, one should avoid driving or operating heavy machinery if drowsiness/ dizziness occur.
Also Read:Ornidazole Side Effect | Orofer Side Effect | Ovral L Side Effect
10 Buyer’s Guide – Omnacortil Composition, Variant and Price
|Omnacortil Variants||Omnacortil Composition||Omnacortil Price|
|Omnacortil 10 tablets||Prednisolone 10 mg||Rs. 10.19 for 10 tablets|
|Omnacortil Drops 10ml||Prednisolone Sodium Phosphate 5mg/5 ml||Rs. 27.5 for 1 pack|
|Omnacortil 5 tablets||Prednisolone 5 mg||Rs. 5.91 for 10 tablets|
|Omnacortil 20 tablets||Prednisolone 20 mg||Rs. 20.51 for 10 tablets|
|Omnacortil Forte Syrup 60ml||Prednisolone 15mg/5 ml||Rs. 47.96 for 1 pack|
|Omnacortil Solution 60ml||Prednisolone Sodium Phosphate 5mg/5 ml||Rs. 27.11 for 1 pack.|
Buy & Get Minimum 20% Discount: Practo | Saveonmedicals
11Substitutes of Omnacortil
The following are alternative drugs for Omnacortil:
- Wysolone 10mg tablet:
- Manufactured by – Pfizer Ltd.
- Price – Rs. 17.13
- Predone 10mg tablet:
- Manufactured by – Cipla.
- Price – Rs. 6.46
- Emsolone 10mg tablet:
- Manufactured by – Medopharm
- Price – Rs. 15.26
- Emsolone 10mg DT tablet:
- Manufactured by – Medopharm
- Price – Rs. 20.35
Storage requirements for Omnacortil Tablets
- Store the drug at temperature below 25o C, away from moisture and direct heat.
- Do not freeze the drug and keep at a place where it is out of reach of children.
Also read about other medicine's Price: Ondansetron Price | Ondem Price
12FAQs – 10 Questions Answered about Omnacortil
Q. What is Omnacortil?
Ans. Omnacortil is a synthetically derived corticosteroid that contains Prednisolone as its chief active ingredient. It is a synthetically derived adrenocortical steroid drug with predominantly glucocorticoid properties.
Omnacortil is used to prevent or treat many diseases due to its anti-inflammatory and anti allergic properties.
Q. How effective it is/ How long does it take for Omnacortil to show results?
Ans. The effects or result of Omnacortil depends on the severity of the condition/disease being treated.
Q. Should Omnacortil be taken on an empty stomach?
Ans. Omnacortil should not be taken empty stomach to prevent any potential stomach upset.
Q. Does Omnacortil make you drowsy?
Ans. Yes, Omnacortil may cause drowsiness/ sleepiness in few cases but it varies with every individual.
Q. What should be the time gap between the consumption of 2 Omnacortil doses?
Ans. Ideal time gap of 4-6 hours should be there between two doses to avoid Omnacortil toxicity or overdose.
Q. Should I complete the whole cycle of the medicine even if cured?
Ans. Omnacortil should be consumed as prescribed by the doctor and in case of any severity of symptoms, immediate medical help or consultation should be taken.
And the doctor should be the one to decide when and how to stop the cycle of Omnacortil.
Q. Does Omnacortil effect my menstrual cycle?
Ans. Yes, it can cause irregular menstrual cycle. Therefore, one should always consult the doctor in case of pre existing menstrual problems before consuming the drug
Q. Is Omnacortil safe for children?
Ans. Omnacortil should not be administered in children without proper consultation and recommendation by the Paediatrician.
Q. Are there any symptoms that I should consider before taking Omnacortil?
Ans. Any liver disorder, drug intolerance or allergic reactions are to be taken into consideration before taking Omnacortil.
Q. Is Omnacortil legal in India?
Ans. Yes, it is legal in India.
Disclaimer – The information provided above is to the best of our research and knowledge. However, you are recommended to consult a physician before consuming the drug.
13Authored By –