Table of Contents
- What is Ondansetron?
- Uses of Ondansetron
- How Does Ondansetron Work?
- Ondansetron Price in India
- How to Take Ondansetron?
- Common Dosage for Ondansetron?
- When to Avoid Ondansetron?
- Side-effects of Ondansetron
- Effect on organs?
- Reported Allergic Reactions?
- Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
- Shows Effects / Results In
- Is Ondansetron addictive?
- Can I have Ondansetron with alcohol?
- Any particular food item to be avoided?
- Can I have Ondansetron when pregnant?
- Can I have Ondansetron when feeding a baby?
- Can I drive after taking Ondansetron?
- What happens if I overdose on Ondansetron?
- What happens if I take expired Ondansetron?
- What happens if I miss a dose of Ondansetron?
- Storage Requirements for Ondansetron
- Pro Tips When Taking Ondansetron
What is Ondansetron?
Ondansetron belongs to a group of drugs called “anti-emetics” which are used for the treatment and prevention of nausea and vomiting. Ondansetron is available in tablet (4mg, 8mg), syrup (4mg/5ml) and injection forms (2mg/ml).
Buy & Get Minimum 20% Discount: 1mg
Uses of Ondansetron
Ondansetron can be used in the prevention, control, and treatment of the following diseases and symptoms:
- Chemotherapy-induced vomiting
- Radiotherapy-induced vomiting
- Postoperative nausea and vomiting
Ondansetron can also be used for purposes not mentioned above.
How Does Ondansetron Work?
- Ondansetron works by blocking 5 HT3 receptors and thus inhibiting serotonin (one of the chemical messengers that trigger nausea and vomiting).
- Vomiting due to motion sickness is not suppressed by Ondansetron. It is more useful for radiotherapy/ chemotherapy-induced vomiting and postoperative vomiting.
Ondansetron Price in India
|4 mg Strip of 30 Tablets||Rs 135|
|8 mg Strip of 30 Tablets||Rs 300|
Also Read: Okacet Price | Omeprazole Price | Omez Price
How to Take Ondansetron?
- Ondansetron is available in tablet and syrup form for oral use and in parenteral (injection) form.
- The dosage and duration of treatment with Ondansetron should be decided by the doctor. Do not take more than or less than the recommended dose.
- Ondansetron is well absorbed orally and should be taken half an hour before the meals.
- The tablet should be swallowed as a whole without crushing, chewing or breaking it along with plenty of fluids.
- In case of orally disintegrating tablets, place the tablet on top of the tongue where it will dissolve on its own and then swallow. Administration with water is not necessary.
- If administered in injection (Intravenous) form, it should be applied by a qualified professional following a test dose to rule out allergy.
- Parenteral (injection) form should be discontinued as soon as the patient can start oral therapy.
Common Dosage for Ondansetron?
- The dose and duration of treatment with Ondansetron vary with the condition of the patient and initial response to the drug.
- The recommended dose for Ondansetron in adults is 8mg administered 30 minutes before the start of chemotherapy and followed by 8mg every 8 hourly after the first dose.
- Following chemotherapy, 8mg twice a day can be administered for another 1-2 days.
- In case if you vomit within half an hour of oral administration of Ondansetron, take one more dose again.
- Patients with kidney and liver disease must use it with caution and under the supervision of a doctor.
- In case of non-improvement of symptoms or symptoms getting worse, consult your doctor immediately.
When to Avoid Ondansetron?
Ondansetron should be avoided or used with caution in the following patients:
- Patients with allergy to any of its components
- Patients with severe kidney and liver disease
- Patients using apomorphine
- Heart patients (patients with prolonged QT interval)
Side-effects of Ondansetron
Common side effects with Ondansetron include:
- Dry mouth
- Low blood pressure (fainting)
- Flushing (sense of warmth in the face)
- Pain at the site of injection
In addition, it may also cause some allergic or unwanted effects. In such cases, seek medical attention immediately.
Also Read: Omnacortil Side Effect | Ondem Side Effect
Effect on organs?
Patients with severe liver and kidney disease should use Ondansetron with caution. Dose adjustment by a doctor might be needed in a few cases.
Reported Allergic Reactions?
Report to your doctor if you are allergic to the ingredients of Ondansetron. Signs of allergic reaction include:
- Rashes/itching of the skin
- Shortness of breath
- Swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat
- Loss of consciousness
Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
Drug interactions refer to the effect of drugs on each other and on human body following ingestion. Large numbers of medicines have shown interaction with other drugs resulting in decreased therapeutic effect and increased chances of side effects. It is always advised that the patient must inform the doctor of all the drugs/over the counter products/vitamin supplements being used along with Ondansetron. All the possible drug interactions might not be listed here. Few important drug interactions with Ondansetron include:
Shows Effects / Results In
The onset of action of Ondansetron starts within 30 minutes to 1 hour following oral administration and the effect of this medicine lasts for 8-12 hours.
Is Ondansetron addictive?
No such tendency has been reported.
Can I have Ondansetron with alcohol?
- Interaction of Ondansetron with alcohol is unknown.
- Consult your doctor before administering alcohol along with Ondansetron.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
No such interaction with food products seen.
Can I have Ondansetron when pregnant?
- Ondansetron is safe to use during pregnancy however it should only be used when clearly needed.
- Always communicate with your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant for case-specific recommendations.
Can I have Ondansetron when feeding a baby?
- Nursing mothers are advised to use Ondansetron with caution as the drug may pass into breast milk and could harm the baby.
- Always inform your doctor before if you are breastfeeding your child.
Can I drive after taking Ondansetron?
- Ondansetron does not usually affect your ability to drive.
- However, few patients might exhibit dizziness, headache and decreased alertness while on Ondansetron. Such patients use Ondansetron with caution while driving.
What happens if I overdose on Ondansetron?
- Ondansetron should not be administered in more than the prescribed dose or for a longer duration as it may lead to overdosage.
- If anyone is suspected of an over-dosage, seek medical attention immediately.
What happens if I take expired Ondansetron?
- Taking a single expired dose may not cause any major adverse effect. However, the potency of the medicine may well have been reduced.
- To be on the safer side, always check and never use an expired drug.
What happens if I miss a dose of Ondansetron?
Always administer the missed dose as soon as you remember it. But, if it’s already time for the second dose- do not take double the dose to make up for the missed dose.
Storage Requirements for Ondansetron
- Stored at room temperature away from direct sunlight and heat.
- Keep medicines away from children and pets.
Pro Tips When Taking Ondansetron
- Efficacy of Ondansetron in preventing vomiting due to motion sickness is poor. So it should only be used for postoperative and radiotherapy/ chemotherapy-induced vomiting.
- Ondansetron is less effective for delayed phase vomiting (that is after 2-5 days after chemotherapy/ radiotherapy). Adjuvant drugs are required to control such vomiting.
- Prolonged QT interval has been reported in patients administering Ondansetron for longer duration and thus should be avoided in heart patients.
Also read about other medicine's: Ornidazole | Orofer | Ovral L