Table of Contents
- What is Ondem?
- Uses of Ondem
- How does Ondem work?
- How to take Ondem?
- Common Dosage for Ondem
- When to Avoid Ondem?
- Precautions While Taking Ondem
- Side-Effects of Ondem
- Drug Interactions to be Careful About
- Buyer’s Guide – Ondem Composition, Variant and Price
- Substitutes of Ondem
- FAQs – 10 Questions Answered about Ondem
- Authored by –
1What is Ondem?
Used mainly to prevent or treat conditions like vomiting, nausea. Convulsion and facial flushing are the major side effects at high repetitive doses. It should be totally avoided in case of liver and cardiac diseases.
Ondem Composition: Ondansetron 4 mg
Manufactured By: Alkem Laboratories Ltd
Prescription: Required as it comes under schedule ‘H’ but it is available as OTC
Form: Tablet, syrup, injections, patches and syrup
Price: Rs 49.27 for 10 tablets.
Expiry/Shelf Life: 24 months from the date of manufacturing
Type of Drug: Antiemetic
2Uses of Ondem
Ondem serves a great purpose in the prevention or treatment of the following conditions:
- Nausea & Vomiting: Used to prevent nausea and vomiting.
- Chemotherapy induced vomiting: Used to treat chemotherapy induced vomiting
- Radiotherapy induced vomiting: Used to treat radiotherapy induced vomiting.
- Post operative vomiting: Used to treat post operative vomiting.
3 How does Ondem work?
- Ondem contains Ondansetron as its active ingredient.
- Ondansetron acts by inhibiting 5HT3 receptors and inhibits serotonin that mediates nausea and vomiting.
4 How to take Ondem?
- Ondem is available in the tablet and syrup form and injection form for IV use.
- Ondem tablet is usually taken via mouth with a glass of water preferably half an hour before meals as food can lead to delayed absorption of the drug.
- The tablet should never be chewed or crushed but should be consumed as a whole.
- If consuming the syrup, the bottle should be shaken up well before use and measuring cup should be used to consume the prescribed drug dose.
- IV use of injection can also be used for parental use.
- The leaflet present in the pack should be read thoroughly to have a better understanding of the drug.
Also read about other medicine's: Ovral L
5 Common Dosage for Ondem
- Ondem dosage can be decided by the doctor for every individual as per Age, Weight, Mental status, Allergic history and Health status of the patient.
- The common adult dose is 8mg administered 30minutes before the start of chemotherapy and followed by 8mg every 8 hourly after the first dose.
- Following chemotherapy, 8mg twice a day can be administered for 1-2 days.
- Ondem syrup is advised in Paediatric cases instead of tablets and the Paediatrician should be consulted before drug administration
- Dose alteration without consultation should be avoided
Q. What happens if I overdose on Ondem?
Overdose of Ondem may lead to undesirable symptoms. The doctor or medical staff should be immediately consulted in such cases.
Q. What happens if I miss a dose of Ondem?
Dose prescribed by the doctor should never be missed and if missed, it should be consumed always as soon as you remember it. But, avoid taking a double dose if it’s already time for the second dose after that as it may lead to an overdose of the drug.
Q. What happens if I eat expired Ondem?
Expired Ondem might not exhibit effects or any undesirable effects. However, one should abstain from consuming the expired drug.
Q. Onset time of Ondem and till when does the effect of Ondem stays?
- The onset of action starts within 30minutes- 1 hour after oral administration and last up to 8-12 hours.
- The time taken by the drug to show effect varies with every individual patient.
- The complete prescribed dose of the drug should be taken before stopping the treatment.
Also Read: Omnacortil Dosage | Ondansetron Dosage
6 When to Avoid Ondem?
Do not Consume Ondem if:
- Allergy: In cases of a known history of hypersensitivity/allergy to Ondem or any similar active ingredients
- Amorphine: In cases of patients using amorphine.
- kidney diseases: In cases of patients with moderate to severe kidney impairment
- Liver diseases: In cases of patients with moderate to severe liver impairment
- Cardiac diseases: In cases of patients with heart problems with prolonged QT interval.
7Precautions While Taking Ondem
- Antacids: Ondem should not be used concomitantly with Antacids
- Prolonged use: Chronic use of Ondem for routine prophylaxis of nausea and vomiting should be avoided
- Caution: should be avoided in heart patients.
Warnings When Taking Ondem
- If a known history of heart diseases, avoid this drug unless stated otherwise by the doctor.
- Prolonged use should be avoided.
- Equally spaced time interval should be there between two doses.
8 Side-Effects of Ondem
The side effects associated with Ondem are:
- Flushing of face (less common)
- Dizziness (less common)
- Low BP (less common)
- Constipation (Less common)
- Dry mouth (common)
- Headache (common)
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions to Ondem?
- In case of any allergic signs like
- Immediate medical help should be taken in case of any above signs appear.
What are the effects of Ondem on organs?
Ondem should used with caution in patients with liver or kidney impairment as Ondem is mainly metabolised in the liver and excreted through kidneys.
9Drug Interactions to be Careful About
It is always advisable to be careful of a certain drug to drug or drug to food interactions when consuming Ondem. Always be aware of the food items, other drugs or lab tests while consuming Ondem. We explore these n details below.
1. Food Interactions with Ondem
No particular food item to be avoided.
2. Medicines Interactions with Ondem
All the potential drug interactions might not be listed here. It is always advisable that the patient must inform the physician about of all the drugs/products you use. You must notify the doctor about the herbal products that you are currently consuming. You should never alter the drug regimen without your doctor’s approval.
The common drug interactions have been noticed with the following drugs:
- Amiodarone (mild)
- Tramadol (mild)
- Carabamazapine (mild)
- Rifampicin (mild)
- Cytochrome P450 isoenzyme CYP3A4 inhibitors like erythromycin ketoconazole, itraconazole, Fluconazole may result in increased plasma levels of Ondem (moderate).
- Phenytoin (moderate)
3. Effects of Ondem on Lab Tests
Ondem does not affect any lab tests as such.
4. Ondem’s interactions with Pre-existing Conditions/Diseases
Any Liver or heart diseases.
Q. Can I have Ondem with alcohol?
Effect of Ondem when taken with alcohol is unknown. Therefore, the doctor should always be consulted before taking alcohol with Ondem.
Q. Any particular food item to be avoided?
No particular food item to be avoided.
Q. Can I have Ondem when pregnant?
Ondem in pregnant women should be used only if necessary and always the doctor should be informed about such cases.
Q. Can I have Ondem when feeding a baby?
Ondem is excreted in human milk and the effects on the infant could be harmful. Therefore the drug should be used with caution and the doctor should always be informed
Q. Can I drive after taking Ondem?
Ondem usually doesn’t affect the ability to drive but in some cases, it can cause drowsiness or dizziness and in such cases, driving or operating heavy machinery should be avoided.
Also Read: Okacet Side Effect | Omeprazole Side Effect | Omez Side Effect
10Buyer’s Guide – Ondem Composition, Variant and Price
|Ondem Variants||Ondem Composition||Ondem Price|
|Ondem 8mg Tablet||Ondansetron 8mg||Rs. 97.88 for 10 tablets|
|Ondem 30ml Syrup||Ondansetron 2mg/5ml||Rs. 35.28 for 1 pack|
|Ondem 2ml Injection||Ondansetron 2mg/ml||Rs. 12.28 for 1 pack|
|Ondem MD 4mg Tablet||Ondansetron 4mg||Rs. 49.27 for 10 tablets|
|Ondem MD 8mg Tablet||Ondansetron 8mg||Rs. 102.59 for 10 tablets|
|Ondem OF 5gm Sachet||Ondansetron 4mg/ Strip Patch||Rs. 69.00 for 6 units|
Buy & Get Minimum 20% Discount: Practo | Saveonmedicals
11Substitutes of Ondem
The following are alternative drugs for Ondem:
- Emeset 4mg Tablet:
- Manufactured by – Cipla
- Price – Rs. 37.16
- Emeset 4 ODT Tablet:
- Manufactured by – Cipla
- Price – Rs. 49.28
- Eterna MD 4mg Tablet:
- Manufactured by Blue Cross
- Price – Rs. 30.65
- Ondiron MD 4mg Tablet:
- Manufactured by Zydus Healthcare Ltd.
- Price – Rs. 60
Storage requirements for Ondem
- The drug should be in a cool, moisture-free place away from direct heat and light.
- Keep the drug where it is out of children’s reach.
Also Read: Ornidazole Price | Orofer Price
12FAQs – 10 Questions Answered about Ondem
Q. What is Ondem?
Ans. Ondem is a single constituent drug that contains Ondansetron as its main active ingredient which belongs to the class of anti emetics.
Ondem is used to treat conditions like nausea, vomiting.
Q. How effective it is/ How long does it take for Ondem to show results?
Ans. Effects/result depends on the condition being treated, usually, Ondem shows its effect within 30 minutes- 1 hour.
Q. Should Ondem be taken on an empty stomach?
Ans. Ondem should be taken empty stomach as food can lead to delayed drug absorption.
Q. Does Ondem make you drowsy?
Ans. Yes, Ondem may cause drowsiness/ sleepiness in few cases but it varies with every individual.
Q. What should be the time gap between the consumption of 2 Ondem doses?
Ans. The ideal time gap of 4-6 hours should be there between two doses.
Q. Should I complete the whole cycle of the medicine even if cured?
Ans. Ondem should be consumed as prescribed by the doctor and in case of any severity of symptoms, immediate medical help or consultation should be taken and the doctor should be the one to decide when and how to stop the cycle of Ondem.
Q. Does Ondem effect my menstrual cycle?
Ans. No, it generally doesn’t affect the menstrual cycle but one should always consult the doctor in case of pre-existing menstrual problems before consuming the drug
Q. Is Ondem safe for children?
Ans. Ondem can be administered in children but proper consultation and recommendation by the Paediatrician should be taken. Variants of Ondem are available for use in paediatric population with appropriate composition.
Q. Are there any symptoms that I should consider before taking Ondem?
Ans. Any liver disorder, heart patients or allergic reactions are to be taken into consideration before taking Ondem.
Q. Is Ondem legal in India?
Ans. Yes, it is legal in India.
Disclaimer – The information provided above is to the best of our research and knowledge. However, you are recommended to consult a physician before consuming the drug.