Onglyza Composition – Saxagliptin 2.5 MG
Manufactured By – Astrazeneca Pharma India Ltd
Prescription – Prescription Required
Form – Tablet
Price – Rs 546
Quantity – 14 tablets in 1 strip
What is Onglyza?
- Onglyza is an oral anti-diabetic drug which is used to lower the blood glucose levels in type 2 diabetic patients.
- Onglyza should not be used in patients with type 1 diabetes (condition in which body does not produce insulin) and diabetic ketoacidosis with or without coma.
- Onglyza contains “Saxagliptin” as its active ingredient and comes in tablet form (2.5mg and 5mg) for oral administration.
- Onglyza should be used as an adjunct with lifestyle changes (quitting smoking, alcohol, exercise etc.) and dietary changes for effective blood glucose control.
Save Using: Myra Medicines Coupon Code | 1mg Coupon Code | Practo Coupon Code
- Use to lower blood glucose levels in adult with type 2 diabetes mellitus
Read more: Spiriva Uses
- Saxagliptin (5mg)
How does Onglyza work?
- Onglyza contains Saxagliptins which works by increasing the level of Incretins.
- Incretins increase the insulin release in the blood and decrease the amount of glucose produced by liver thereby maintaining blood glucose levels.
Onglyza Price in India
|Onglyza 5mg Tablet||Rs 605|
|Onglyza 2.5mg Tablet||Rs 546|
How to Take Onglyza?
- Onglyza tablet (2.5mg or 5mg) should be taken once daily regardless of meals.
- The tablet should be swallowed as a whole without crushing, chewing or breaking it along with plenty of fluids.
- The medicine should not be stopped on your own without doctor’s consent. Regular monitoring of blood sugar levels should be done to alter the dose.
Common Dosage for Onglyza?
- The recommended starting dose of Onglyza is 2.5mg or 5mg once daily regardless of meal.
- Patients with moderate to severe kidney disease should be administered with 2.5mg Onglyza once daily.
Read more: Nasacort Dosage
When to Avoid Onglyza?
Onglyza should be avoided or used with caution in:
- Patients with allergy to any of its components
- Type 1 diabetes (insulin dependent diabetes)
- Diabetic ketoacidosis
- Severe kidney or liver function disorders
Side-effects of Onglyza?
- In addition to its intended uses, Onglyza may cause few undesirable side effects which may include:
- Hypoglycaemia – most commonly observed when Onglyza is administered with other oral hypoglycaemic drugs. Symptoms of hypoglycaemia (low blood glucose) include:
- Impaired concentration
- Tachycardia (increased heart beat)
Other less commonly observed side effects include:
- Loss of appetite
- Skin rash
- Abdominal pain
- In addition it may cause some other allergic or unwanted effects. In such cases, seek medical attention immediately.
Know more: Kenalog Side Effects
Effect on organs?
- Kidney – Patients with pre-existing kidney disease should use Onglyza with caution as it can cause severe renal impairment.
Reported Allergic Reactions?
- Allergic reactions with Onglyza have been reported. Inform your doctor if you are allergic to any of its ingredients.
- Signs of allergic reaction include:
- Rashes/itching of skin
- Shortness of breath
- Swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat
- Loss of consciousness
Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
- It is always advisable that the patient must inform the doctor about all the drugs/over the counter products/vitamin supplements used while using Onglyza.
- All the possible drug interactions might not be listed here. Few important drugs which interact with Onglyza are listed below:
- Using all these products along with Onglyza can influence the therapeutic effect of these medicines and also can increase the chances of side effects.
Shows Effects / Results In:
- Onglyza starts showing its peak effect following 2 hours of oral administration.
Storage of Onglyza
- Store at cool and dry place away from direct heat and moisture.
- Do not freeze the medicine.
- Keep medicines away from children and pets.
Pro Tips When Taking Onglyza
- Onglyza tablets should be administered along with non-pharmacologic therapy (proper dietary modification, weight control and exercise) to achieve best results. In early type 2 diabetes, only non-pharmacologic therapy may well provide ideal results.
Frequently asked questions
Is Onglyza addictive?
- No habit forming tendency has been reported. However over dependence to these medicines should be avoided.
Can I have Onglyza with alcohol?
- Consumption of alcohol is not recommended when on Onglyza therapy as it may alter blood sugar levels.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
- No alteration in its action seen with any food product.
Can I have Onglyza when pregnant?
- Onglyza is not recommended during pregnancy as there are no adequate and well controlled studies in pregnant women.
Can I have Onglyza when feeding a baby?
- Onglyza is not recommended for use while you are breast feeding as the drug may pass into breast milk and may harm the foetus by decreasing blood sugar levels.
Can I drive after taking Onglyza?
- Onglyza intake doesn’t affect your ability to drive.
What happens if I overdose on Onglyza?
- Onglyza should never be administered in more than prescribed dose.
- If suspected of an over-dosage, seek medical care immediately.
What happens if I take expired Onglyza?
- A single dose of expired Onglyza may not cause any major adverse effect. However, the potency of the medicine may well have decreased overtime and it may cause hyperglycaemia (increased blood glucose levels).
What happens if I miss a dose of Onglyza?
- If you forgot to take a dose, take it as soon as you remember. But, if it’s already time to take the second dose – do not take double dose.