Table of Contents
- 1 What is Ornidazole?
- 2 Uses of Ornidazole Tablet
- 3 How does Ornidazole work?
- 4 How to take Ornidazole Tablet?
- 5 Common Dosage for Ornidazole
- 6 When to Avoid Ornidazole Tablet?
- 7 Precautions While Taking Ornidazole Tablet
- 8 Side-Effects of Ornidazole Tablet
- 9 Drug Interactions to be Careful About
- 9.1 1. Food Interactions with Ornidazole Tablet
- 9.2 2. Medicines Interactions with Ornidazole Tablet
- 9.3 3. Effects of Ornidazole on Lab Tests
- 9.4 4. Ornidazole’s interactions with Pre-existing Conditions/Diseases
- 9.5 Q. Can I have Ornidazole Tablet with alcohol?
- 9.6 Q. Any particular food item to be avoided?
- 9.7 Q. Can I have Ornidazole Tablet when pregnant?
- 9.8 Q. Can I have Ornidazole Tablet when feeding a baby?
- 9.9 Q. Can I drive after taking Ornidazole Tablet?
- 10 Buyer’s Guide – Ornidazole tablet Composition, Variant, and Price
- 11 Substitutes of Ornidazole tablet
- 12 FAQs – 10 Questions Answered about Ornidazole Tablet
- 12.1 Q. What is Ornidazole Tablet?
- 12.2 Q. How effective it is/ How long does it take for Ornidazole Tablet to show results?
- 12.3 Q. Should Ornidazole Tablet be taken on an empty stomach?
- 12.4 Q. Does Ornidazole Tablet make you drowsy?
- 12.5 Q. What should be the time gap between the consumption of 2 Ornidazole Tablet doses?
- 12.6 Q. Should I complete the whole cycle of the medicine even if cured?
- 12.7 Q. Does Ornidazole Tablet effect my menstrual cycle?
- 12.8 Q. Is Ornidazole Tablet safe for children?
- 12.9 Q. Are there any symptoms that I should consider before taking Ornidazole Tablet?
- 12.10 Q. Is Ornidazole Tablet legal in India?
- 13 Authored By –
What is Ornidazole?
Used mainly to prevent or treat conditions and infections like pneumonia, vaginal and urinary tract infections, blood infections and leg ulcers or bed sores. Gastric distress, loss of appetite and constipation are the commonly seen side effects. It should be totally avoided in the case of epilepsy, blood diseases or allergic reactions.
Ornidazole Tablet Composition: Ornidazole 500mg
Manufactured By: Zydus Healthcare Ltd
Prescription: Required as it belongs to Schedule ‘H’ but also available as OTC
Form: Tablet, Gel, and Injections.
Price: Rs. 127.40 for 10 tablets.
Expiry/Shelf Life: 24 months from the date of manufacturing
Type of Drug: Antiamoebic.
Uses of Ornidazole Tablet
Ornidaz is used to prevent or treat the following conditions:
- Vaginal Infections: Used to treat and manage vaginal infections.
- Postoperative Infections: Used in cases of postoperative management to prevent or cure anaerobic infections.
- Pneumonia: Used to treat cases of Pneumonia as it is caused by bacteria.
- Diarrhoea: Used to treat diarrhoea that is suspected to be caused by bacterial infection.
- Dental Infections: Used to treat dental infections as most of the dental infections are known to be caused by anaerobic bacteria against which ORNI TABLET is most potent.
- Abdominal Infections: Used to treat intra abdominal infections.
- Gonorrhea: Used to treat gonorrheal infection of vagina caused mostly by transfer of bacterial infection during unprotected sex.
- UTIs: used to treat and manage Urinary tract infections.
- Others: Used to treat various cases of Lung Abscess.
How does Ornidazole work?
- Ornidazole Tablet contains Ornidazole as its main active ingredient.
- Ornidazole belongs to the Nitroimidazole group of drugs which shows antiparasitic activity
- Ornidazole works by breaking the DNA strands and thereby damaging the DNA of microbes and eradicating the infection.
- Ornidazole Tablet, therefore, exhibits both bactericidal and antiparasitic activity.
How to take Ornidazole Tablet?
- Ornidazole Tablet is usually available in the form of tablets, drops and syrups.
- Ornidazole Tablet is taken by mouth with a glass of water preferably with or after meals as food helps to prevent any potential gastric irritation the drug might cause when taken empty stomach.
- Ornidazole Tablet should never be chewed or crushed. It should be swallowed as a whole.
- Ornidazole Tablet should be consumed in infections which are known to be bacteria and parasites only to prevent the development of resistance against the antibiotic.
- Ornidazole Tablet Tablet should be taken with an equal time interval of at least 8-10 hours between two doses.
- It is advisable to go through the pack insert properly before consuming the drug to have a better understanding of the drug.
Common Dosage for Ornidazole
- Ornidazole Tablet dosage can be decided by the doctor for every individual as per: Age Weight, Mental status, Allergic history and Health status of the patient.
- The common Adult dose of Ornidazole Tablet is a single tablet twice a day with an interval of at least 8-10 hours between two doses.
- It is not recommended to be administered to children without pediatric consultation
- Dose alteration should be avoided without proper medical consultation.
Q. What happens if I overdose on Ornidazole Tablet?
Overdose of Ornidazole Tablet can cause undesirable effects and can also lead to complications in a few cases.
Therefore, strictly adhere to the prescribed dose and seek medical help immediately in case of any symptoms of overdose.
Q. What happens if I miss a dose of Ornidazole Tablet?
The dose prescribed by the doctor should never be missed and if missed, it should be consumed always as soon as you remember it. But, avoid taking a double dose if it’s already time for the second dose after that as it may lead to an overdose of the drug. A gap of at least 8-10 hours should be there between two doses.
Q. What happens if I eat expired Ornidazole Tablet?
Consuming expired Ornidazole Tablet tablet might not exhibit desirable effects or any side effects. However, one should abstain from consuming the expired drug.
Q. Onset time of OrnidazoleTablet and till when does the effect of Ornidazole Tablet stays?
- Ornidazole Tablet shows its effect within a few days of starting the drug.
- The time taken by the drug to show its effect depends upon the condition being treated.
- Time is taken by the drug to show the desired effects may vary with every individual patient.
Also Read: Omnacortil Dosage | Ondansetron Dosage
When to Avoid Ornidazole Tablet?
Do not Consume Ornidazole Tablet if:
- Allergy: In cases of known allergy to ORNI tablet or any other drug belonging to the same class as Ornidazole, metronidazole.
- Blood disease: Avoid the drug in cases of patients with a blood disease.
- Hypothyroidism/ hypoadrenalism: In cases of hypothyroidism and hypoadrenalism.
- Candidiasis: In cases of patients with a history of candidiasis.
- Epilepsy: patients with epilepsy should avoid the drug as ORNI TABLET can precipitate seizures.
- Neurological disorders: In cases of patients with neurological diseases.
Precautions While Taking Ornidazole Tablet
- Blood disease: Avoid the drug in cases of patients with a blood disease.
- Dose alteration: Dose alteration without proper medical consultation should be avoided.
Warnings When Taking Ornidazole Tablet
- Prolonged use unless stated by the doctor should be avoided.
- There should be the equally spaced time interval between two doses.
- Consume plenty of fluids to counteract the potential undesirable effects of the drug.
- Always consume the tablet with or after meals to prevent any gastric irritation.
Side-Effects of Ornidazole Tablet
The side effects associated with Ornidazole Tablet are:
- Nausea (common)
- Constipation (common)
- Diarrhoea (common)
- Gastric distress (common)
- Furry tongue (less common)
- Loss of appetite (common)
- Dysmenorrhea (less common)
- Rashes (common)
- Depression (less common)
- Dizziness( common)
- Headache (common)
- Insomnia( less common)
- Seizure common)
- Loss of consciousness (less common)
- Hallucinations (less common)
- Tingling of hands and feet (less common)
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions to Ornidazole Tablet?
- Ornidazole Tablet is known to cause an allergic reaction with symptoms like rashes, breathing difficulty, swelling of face, lip and throat, irregular heartbeat and loss of consciousness.
- In case of any such signs, immediate medical help should be taken.
What are the effects of Ornidazole Tablet on organs?
Orni Tablet should be used with caution in patients with neurological disorders.
Drug Interactions to be Careful About
It is always advisable to be careful of a certain drug to drug or drug to food interactions when consuming Orni Tablet. Always be aware of the food items, other drugs or lab tests while consuming Orni Tablet. We explore these n details below.
1. Food Interactions with Ornidazole Tablet
Avoid anise, turmeric, garlic, ginger, fenugreek, green tea, bilberry, grape seed, and alfalfas.
2. Medicines Interactions with Ornidazole Tablet
All the potential drug interactions might not be listed here. It is always advisable that the patient must inform the physician about of all the drugs/products you use. You must notify the doctor about the herbal products that you are currently consuming. You should never alter the drug regimen without your doctor’s approval.
The common drug interactions have been noticed with the following drugs:
- Lithium (mild)
- Busulfan (moderate)
- Cimetidine (mild)
- Phenytoin (Moderate)
- Warfarin (moderate)
- Disulfiram (severe): alcoholic patients can develop psychotic reactions when consuming disulfiram with Orni tablet.
3. Effects of Ornidazole on Lab Tests
Ornidazole tablet can interfere with the lab tests such as Serum AST, ALT, SGOT, SGPT, LDH, triglycerides and glucose hexokinase.
4. Ornidazole’s interactions with Pre-existing Conditions/Diseases
Any blood diseases, epilepsy, and allergic reactions.
Q. Can I have Ornidazole Tablet with alcohol?
No, it is advisable to avoid alcohol consumption or any other product containing propylene glycol while on Ornidazole therapy, for at least 3 days after the treatment gets over as it can lead to side effects. Therefore, the doctor should always be consulted before taking alcohol with Ornidazole Tablet.
Q. Any particular food item to be avoided?
Avoid anise, turmeric, garlic, ginger, fenugreek, green tea, bilberry, grape seed and alfalfas they are known to have anti platelet activity when consumed with Orni tablet.
Q. Can I have Ornidazole Tablet when pregnant?
Animal studies show safe data for Orni tablet but due to lack of safety evidence in humans, it is advisable to always consult the doctor before administering the drug to pregnant women or who are planning to conceive.
Q. Can I have Ornidazole Tablet when feeding a baby?
No, it is not safe to administer Ornidazole tablet to Lactating Mothers. Therefore, inform the doctor always if you’re breastfeeding your child. It is also advisable to withhold the lactation while on treatment with Orni tablet for atleast 24-48 hours.
Q. Can I drive after taking Ornidazole Tablet?
ORNI tablet can cause dizziness or drowsiness in a few rare cases. Therefore, one should avoid driving or operating heavy machinery if drowsiness or dizziness occurs.
Also Read: Orofer Side Effect | Ovral L Side Effect | Ondem Side Effect
Buyer’s Guide – Ornidazole tablet Composition, Variant, and Price
|Ornidazole Variants||Ornidazole Composition||Ornidazole Price|
|Orni O Tablet||Ornidazole 500mg + Ofloxacin 200mg||Rs. 172.50 for 10 Tablets.|
|Ornigreat 10gm Gel||Chlorhexidine gluconate 0.25% w/w + Ornidazole 1%w/w||Rs. 60.00 for 1 pack|
|Ornigyl 100ml IV Injection||Ornidazole 500mg/100ml||Rs. 51.18 for 1 pack|
|Ornilox Tablet||Ofloxacin 200mg + Ornidazole 500mg||Rs. 121.00 for 10 Tablets|
Substitutes of Ornidazole tablet
The following are alternative drugs for ORNI tablet:
- Horn 500mg Tablet:
- Manufactured by – Deys.
- Price – Rs. 50
- Ornia 500mg Tablet:
- Manufactured by – Mancop Remedies.
- Price – Rs. 32.5
- Ornida 500mg Tablet:
- Manufactured by – Aristo Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd.
- Price – Rs. 92.5
- Giro Tablet:
- Manufactured by – Panacea Biotec.
- Price – Rs. 56.85
Storage requirements for Ornidazole tablet:
- Store the Ornidazole tablet at a dry place away from direct heat or sunlight at room temperature.
- Keep it at a place away from children’s reach.
Also Read: Okacet Price | Omeprazole Price | Omez Price
FAQs – 10 Questions Answered about Ornidazole Tablet
Q. What is Ornidazole Tablet?
Ans. Ornidazole Tablet is a uni-component drug that contains Ornidazole as its main active ingredient. Ornidazole Tablet exhibits Antiamoebic and bactericidal activity. It is used mainly to treat conditions like Urinary tract infections, vaginal infections and pneumonia.
Q. How effective it is/ How long does it take for Ornidazole Tablet to show results?
Ans. The effect of Ornidazole Tablet can be seen within the first few days of starting the Ornidazole Tablet therapy but the time is taken by the drug to show the desired effects may vary with every individual patient.
Q. Should Ornidazole Tablet be taken on an empty stomach?
Ans. Ornidazole Tablet should not be taken empty stomach to prevent any potential stomach upset.
Q. Does Ornidazole Tablet make you drowsy?
Ans. Ornidazole may cause drowsiness in a few cases but it varies with every individual.
Q. What should be the time gap between the consumption of 2 Ornidazole Tablet doses?
Ans. Ideal time gap of 8-10 hours should be there between two doses.
Q. Should I complete the whole cycle of the medicine even if cured?
Ans. Always complete the prescribed drug course as leaving the course incomplete may lead to the recurrence of infection and drug resistance and the doctor should be the one to decide when and how to stop the cycle of Ornidazole Tablet.
Q. Does Ornidazole Tablet effect my menstrual cycle?
Ans. Yes, it can cause dysmenorrhoea. Therefore, one should always consult the doctor in case of pre-existing menstrual problems before consuming the drug.
Q. Is Ornidazole Tablet safe for children?
Ans. Ornidazole Tablet should not be administered in children without proper consultation and recommendation by the Paediatrician should be taken.
Q. Are there any symptoms that I should consider before taking Ornidazole Tablet?
Ans. Any blood diseases, epilpepsy or allergic reactions are to be taken into consideration before taking ORNI TABLET.
Q. Is Ornidazole Tablet legal in India?
Ans. Yes, it is legal in India.
Disclaimer – The information provided above is to the best of our research and knowledge. However, you are recommended to consult a physician before consuming the drug.
Authored By –