Table of Contents
- What is Oseltamivir?
- Uses of Oseltamivir
- How does Oseltamivir work?
- How to take Oseltamivir?
- Oseltamivir Price In India
- Common Dosage for Oseltamivir
- When to avoid Oseltamivir?
- Precautions while taking Oseltamivir
- Side Effects of Oseltamivir
- Effects on organs?
- Storage Requirements for Oseltamivir
- Pro Tips When Taking Oseltamivir
- Is Oseltamivir addictive?
- Can I have Oseltamivir with alcohol?
- Any particular food item to be avoided?
- Can I have Oseltamivir when pregnant?
- Can I have Oseltamivir while feeding a baby?
- Can I drive after taking Oseltamivir?
- What happens if I overdose on Oseltamivir?
- What happens if I eat expired Oseltamivir?
- What happens if I miss a dose of Oseltamivir?
What is Oseltamivir?
Oseltamivir is a neuraminidase inhibitor. It is a transition-state analog of sialic acid that is a potent selective inhibitor of influenza A and B virus neuraminidases. Oseltamivir inhibits amantadine and rimantadine-resistant influenza A viruses and some zanamivir-resistant variants.
Buy & Get Minimum 20% Discount: 1Mg Coupon | Medlife Coupons
Uses of Oseltamivir
Oseltamivir is used for the treatment and prevention of Influenza A and B. Beginning therapy within 48 hours of symptom onset may shorten the duration of illness.
Also read about other medicine's Uses: Orlistat Uses | Plavix Uses
How does Oseltamivir work?
- Interaction of Oseltamivir with the neuraminidase causes a conformational change within the enzyme’s active site and inhibits its activity.
- Inhibition of neuraminidase activity leads to viral aggregation at the cell surface and reduced virus spread within the respiratory tract.
- Oseltamivir inhibits the neuraminidase of influenza A and B (Neuraminidases break the bond between the newly formed virus and the host cell, allowing for the spread of the virus to other cells). Oseltamivir is 70% to 90% effective in preventing disease when given promptly and also can reduce the duration of active infection.
How to take Oseltamivir?
- Oseltamivir is given orally. Oral Oseltamivir is effective in the treatment and prevention of influenza A and B virus infections.
- Food does not decrease bioavailability but reduces the risk of GI intolerance.
Oseltamivir Price In India
|75mg Strip of 10 Capsules (Antiflu Capsule)||Rs 1000.00|
Common Dosage for Oseltamivir
- Dosage for previously healthy adults is 75 mg twice daily for 5 days.
- For children, 1-12 years of age (weight-adjusted dosing) with acute influenza reduces illness duration by ~1-2 days, speeds functional recovery.
- When used for prophylaxis during the typical influenza season, 75 mg once daily is effective.
When to avoid Oseltamivir?
- If you have received flu vaccine (Flumist) in the nose within 2 weeks before treatment with Oseltamivir, it may lower your protection from flu vaccine given in the nose.
- Other over the counter and herbal supplements may interact. Consult your doctor for more information.
Precautions while taking Oseltamivir
- Tell your doctor if you have received a nasal flu vaccine within the past 2 weeks.
- Before taking Oseltamivir, tell your doctor if you have kidney disease, heart disease, lung disease, or any other health problem.
- Anyone using Oseltamivir should be watched closely for signs of confusion or unusual behavior, especially children.
Side Effects of Oseltamivir
Oral Oseltamivir is associated with:
- abdominal discomfort
- Emesis, probably owing to local irritation.
GI complaints usually are mild to moderate in intensity, typically resolve in 1-2 days despite continued dosing and are preventable by the administration with food.
Also Read: Propranolol Side Effect | Ranitidine Side Effect | Ritalin Side Effect
Effects on organs?
- Nervous system reactions- Headache, dizziness, vertigo.
- Gastrointestinal reactions- Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, upper abdominal pain, dyspepsia.
- Respiratory reactions- Nasal congestion, cough, sore throat, bronchitis, nasopharyngitis, upper respiratory tract infections, influenza, rhinorrhea, sinusitis.
- Psychiatric reactions- Insomnia.
- Skin reactions- Herpes simplex.
- Genitourinary reactions- Dysmenorrhea.
- Muscle and bone disorders- Back pain, arthralgia, myalgia.
- Eye reactions- Conjunctivitis (including red eyes, eye discharge, and eye pain).
Storage Requirements for Oseltamivir
- Keep it in a dry, airtight container.
- Keep Oseltamivir away from direct heat or moisture.
- Keep it out of reach of the children.
Pro Tips When Taking Oseltamivir
- Oseltamivir is an antiviral medication that blocks the actions of influenza virus types A and B in your body.
- Oseltamivir will not treat the common cold.
- Oseltamivir may also be used to prevent the flu (if you have been exposed to someone who already has the flu).
- Oseltamivir is not a substitute for the flu vaccine.
Is Oseltamivir addictive?
No, Oseltamivir is not addictive.
Can I have Oseltamivir with alcohol?
No, one should not consume alcohol with Oseltamivir.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
Avoid processed food and caffeinated beverages when consuming Oseltamivir.
Can I have Oseltamivir when pregnant?
Yes, only if the benefit outweighs the risks.
Can I have Oseltamivir while feeding a baby?
Yes, you can have Oseltamivir while feeding a baby.
Can I drive after taking Oseltamivir?
Yes, you can drive after taking Oseltamivir.
What happens if I overdose on Oseltamivir?
There has been no experience with overdose, however single doses of up to 1000 mg of Tamivir have been associated with nausea and/or vomiting.
What happens if I eat expired Oseltamivir?
Expired medicines may have lost potency and will not be as effective as earlier. Sometimes it can be harmful to the body.
What happens if I miss a dose of Oseltamivir?
Take the missed dose as soon as you remember it. Skip the missed dose, if it’s time for the next dose and continue your regular dosing schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for a missed one.
Other medicine's to read: Metoprolol | Naproxen | Niacin