Table of Contents
- What is Ovral L?
- Uses of Ovral L
- How does Ovral L work?
- How to take Ovral L?
- Common Dosage for Ovral L
- When to Avoid Ovral L?
- Precautions While Taking Ovral L
- Side-Effects of Ovral L
- Drug Interactions With Ovral L to be Careful About
- Buyer’s Guide – Ovral L Composition, Variant and Price
- Substitutes of Ovral L
- FAQs – 10 Important Questions Answered about Ovral L
- Authored By –
1What is Ovral L?
It is a medicine which is used to prevent or treat problems related to menstruation and as an oral contraceptive. Weight gain, water retention and mood swings are the major and most common side effects. It should be totally avoided in patients with allergic history or heart and liver disorders.
Ovral L Composition: Levonorgestrel 0.15 MG + Ethinyl Estradiol 0.03 MG
Manufactured By: Pfizer Ltd.
Prescription: Required as it comes under schedule ‘H’.
Price: Rs 67.98 for 1 pack (21 tablets).
Expiry/Shelf Life: 24 months from the date of manufacturing
Type of Drug: Hormonal Contraceptive
2Uses of Ovral L
Ovral L is mainly used to treat females with the following conditions:
- Polycystic ovary syndrome: Used in cases of PCOS (poly cystic ovary syndrome).
- Hormone replacement therapy: Used in cases where hormones are not secreted or synthesised inadequate amount.
- Menopause and related problems: Used in cases of patients with menopause related issues.
- Contraception: Used as oral contraceptive to prevent unwanted pregnancy.
- Acne: Used in the cases of patients with Acne problem due to hormonal issues or irregular menstruation.
- Endometriosis: Used to treat Endometriosis (tissue lining of the uterus/womb is found outside the uterus)
3How does Ovral L work?
- Ovral L contains Ethinyl Estradiol and Levonorgestrel which suppresses gonadotrophins and prevents release of egg from ovaries (ovulation).
- Ovral L tablet makes the endometrial lining (uterus lining) unsuitable for pregnancy as it prevents egg from sticking to the uterus wall even if ovulation occurs.
- Ethinyl Estradiol is a synthetic female hormone which enhances the effects of cyproterone by reducing androgen in blood circulation and is also responsible for development and maintenance of menstrual cycles.
4How to take Ovral L?
- Ovral L is available in tablets in a pack of 28 tablets.
- Ovral L pack contains 21 active drug pills white in colour and 7 inert (placebo) pills pink in colour.
- Active Ovral L tablets (white) are consumed first for period of 21 days and after that inert (pink)pills are consumed.
- Ovral L tablets are usually taken via mouth with or after meals, a single tablet daily.
- The tablets should not be crushed or chewed but should be swallowed as a whole.
- The drug should be taken at fixed timings for ideal results.
- The drug should be consumed with fat rich diet for better absorption.
- The preferable time for taking the drug is before going to bed
5Common Dosage for Ovral L
- Ovral L dosage can be decided by the doctor for every individual as per Age, Weight, Mental status, Allergic history and Health status of the patient.
- The Most common dose recommended is one (active) tablet daily for 21 days followed by one (inert) tablet daily for 7 days.
- The next pack should be started on first day of menstrual cycle.
- For the first week of drug therapy, condom can be used as precaution after that protection is not required.
- Avoid prolonged use without proper consultation.
Q. What happens if I overdose on Ovral L?
Ovral L should always be consumed as per the prescribed dose. Overdose can lead to some serious undesirable effects. The doctor or trained medical staff should be immediately consulted in case of overdose.
Q. What happens if I miss a dose of Ovral L?
Ovral L should always be taken as per the fixed time schedule and in case of missed dose, always try to consume it as soon as you remember. But, avoid taking the missed dose if it’s already time to take the second dose as it may lead to drug toxicity or drug overdose.
Q. What happens if I eat expired Ovral L?
Expired Ovral L may not cause any undesirable effect but it is advisable to avoid consuming expired drug as it may not be efficacious enough to provide the needed results and the doctor should be immediately consulted in case of any undesirable symptoms after consuming the expired drug.
Q. Onset time of Ovral L and till when does the effect of Ovral L stay?
The effects/results depend upon the condition being treated.
6When to Avoid Ovral L?
Do not Consume Ovral L if:
- Allergy: In cases of known history of allergy to Ovral L or its constituents.
- Liver dysfunction: In cases of known history of jaundice/hepatic dysfunction or any severe active liver disease.
- Pregnancy: In cases of Pregnancy
- Vaginal bleeding: In cases of undiagnosed vaginal bleeding
- Uterine bleeding: In cases of undiagnosed uterine bleeding
- Cancer: In cases of Breast pathology or breast cancer.
- High Blood Pressure: In cases of high blood pressure.
- History of jaundice: In cases of history of idiopathic jaundice during pregnancy.
- Others: In cases of epilepsy, migraine, hypertension and depression
Also Read: Okacet Side Effect | Omeprazole Side Effect | Omez Side Effect
7Precautions While Taking Ovral L
- Allergic Reaction: Allergic reaction, if occurs after taking Ovral L should be immediately reported to the doctor or trained medical staff.
- Avoid Dose alteration: Ovral L should be taken as advised by the physician to have desired effects and drug alteration should be avoided unless stated by the doctor.
- Time Interval: A fixed time gap is to be maintained between the two doses.
Warnings When Taking Ovral L
- Do not alter the dose as per your convenience without medical guidance
- In case of any allergic reaction, seek medical help immediately.
- Keep your doctor informed about any other concomitant medication
- In case of abnormal menstrual bleeding / abdominal pain, Gynaecologist should be consulted immediately.
8Side-Effects of Ovral L
The side effects associated with Ovral L are:
- Nausea, (Common)
- Stomach pain, (Common)
- Headache, (Common)
- Weight gain and water retention (Common)
- Breast pain, (Common)
- Mood swings (Common)
- Delayed periods (Common)
- Sudden bleeding/ spotting (Common)
- Acne and pimples (Common)
- Uterine bleeding (less common)
- Uterine infections (less common)
- Extreme fatigue (less common)
- Vomiting (less common)
- Excessive vaginal bleeding (less common)
- Abdominal cramps (less common)
- Severe headache and Anxiety (less common)
Other rare side effects of Ovral L Tablet (increased chances):
- Liver tumors
- Gallbladder disease
- Cerebral hemorrhage
- Pulmonary Embolism
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions to Ovral L?
Possible allergic reactions reported for Ovral L are:
- Rashes (less common)
- Swelling of eye, face, lips, mouth or tongue (less common)
- Breathlessness (less common)
- Loss of consciousness (rare)
What are the effects of Ovral L on organs?
Dose adjustment is required in patients with liver, kidney and heart disease.
Also Read: Omnacortil Price | Ondansetron Price | Ondem Price
9Drug Interactions With Ovral L to be Careful About
It is always advisable to be careful of certain drug to drug or drug to food interactions when consuming Ovral L. Always be aware of the food items, other drugs or lab tests while consuming Ovral L. We explore these n details below.
1. Food Interactions with Ovral L
No particular food item to be avoided.
2. Medicines Interactions with Ovral L
All the potential drug interactions might not be listed here. It is always advisable that the patient must inform the physician about of all the drugs/products you use. You must notify the doctor about the herbal products that you are currently consuming. You should never alter the drug regimen without your doctor’s approval.
The common drug interactions have been noticed with the following drugs:
- Phenytoin (moderate)
- Barbiturates (mild)
- Rifampicin (mild)
- Itraconazole (mild)
- Fluconazole (mild)
- Cyclosporine (moderate)
- Prednisolone (moderate)
3. Effects of Ovral L on Lab Tests
Ovral L does not affect the laboratory tests as such but it is advisable to consult with your treating physician before any lab investigation.
4. Ovral L’s interactions with Pre-existing Conditions/Diseases
Any liver problems, breast cancer.
Q. Can I have Ovral L with alcohol?
No, Medical consultation is advised before consuming alcohol with Ovral L therapy.
Q. Any particular food item to be avoided?
Q. Can I have Ovral L when pregnant?
No, it is not advisable to consume Ovral L during pregnancy or if planning to become pregnant. Doctor should always be informed if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant.
Q. Can I have Ovral L when feeding a baby?
No, Ovral L should not be used in case of lactating mothers as it is known to be excreted in human milk. Discuss the risks and benefits with your doctor before consuming the drug.
Q. Can I drive after taking Ovral L?
Yes, as it does not affect the ability to drive but it is advisable to avoid driving or operating heavy machinery in cases of any dizziness or drowsiness.
10Buyer’s Guide – Ovral L Composition, Variant and Price
|Ovral G Tablet||Norgestrel 0.5mg + Ethinyl estradiol 0.05mg||Rs. 194.49 for 1 pack|
|Ovral Tablet||Levonorgestrel 0.15mg + Ethinyl estradiol 0.03mg||Rs. 65.73 for 1 pack.|
11Substitutes of Ovral L
The following are alternative drugs for Ovral L:
- Ovipauz L Tablet: Manufactured by Svizera Healthcare.
- Nogestol Tablet: Manufactured by HLL Lifecare.
- Nordette 28S Tablet: Manufactured by Pfizer Ltd.
- Femi 21S Kit Tablet: Manufactured by Olcare Laboratories Pvt Ltd.
Storage requirements for Ovral L
- The drug should be stored between 15-25°C and should be kept in a cool, dry place and away from direct heat and sunlight and moisture.
- Keep the drug in a place, where it is out of reach of children.
12FAQs – 10 Important Questions Answered about Ovral L
Q. What is Ovral L?
Ans. Ovral L is a drug used only for women in various forms. It is used as an oral contraceptive, hormone replacement therapy and other issues like acne etc.
Q. How effective it is/ How long does it take for Ovral L to show results?
Ans. Effects of Ovral L depends on the condition being treated. It gets absorbed easily and the effects can be seen on the same day to one month after administration
Q. Should Ovral L be taken on an empty stomach?
Ans. Ovral L should not be taken empty stomach instead it should be consumed with fat rich meal to allow easy absorption of drug.
Q. Does Ovral L make you drowsy?
Ans. Ovral L may cause drowsiness in few cases but it varies with every individual.
Q. What should be the time gap between the consumption of 2 Ovral L doses?
Ans. Ideal time gap of atleast 20-24 hours should be there between two doses to avoid Ovral L toxicity or overdose. Always consult your treating doctor for proper prescribed dose.
Q. Should I complete the whole cycle of the medicine even if cured?
Ans. Ovral L should be consumed as prescribed by the doctor and in case of any severity of symptoms, immediate medical help or consultation should be taken.
And the doctor should be the one to decide when and how to stop the cycle of Ovral L.
Q. Does Ovral L effect my menstrual cycle?
Ans. Yes, it does affect the menstrual cycle in a positive way as it helps treating menstruation related problems.
Q. Is Ovral L safe for children?
Ans. Ovral L is not to be administered to children.
Q. Are there any symptoms that I should consider before taking Ovral L?
Ans. Any liver disorder, drug intolerance or allergic reactions are to be taken into consideration before taking Ovral L.
Q. Is Ovral L legal in India?
Ans. Yes, it is legal in India.
Also read about other medicine's: Ornidazole | Orofer
Disclaimer – The information provided above is to the best of our research and knowledge. However, you are recommended to consult a physician before consuming the drug.