Table of Contents
- What is Pan 40?
- Uses of Pan 40
- How does Pan 40 work?
- How to take Pan 40?
- Common Dosage for Pan 40
- When to Avoid Pan 40?
- Precautions While Taking Pan 40
- Side-Effects of Pan 40
- Drug Interactions to be Careful About
- Buyer’s Guide – Pan 40 Composition, Variant and Price
- Substitutes of Pan 40
- FAQs – 10 Questions Answered about Pan 40
- Authored By –
1What is Pan 40?
Used mainly to prevent or treat acidity, gas and heartburn. Diarrhoea and dizziness are the commonly seen side effects at repetitive high doses. It should be totally avoided in case of liver or kidney disease and allergic reactions.
Pan 40 Composition: Pantoprazole Sodium 40mg
Manufactured By: Alkem Laboratories Ltd.
Prescription: Required as it comes under schedule ‘H’ but it is also available as OTC
Price: Rs 73 for 10 tablets.
Expiry/Shelf Life: 24 months from the date of manufacturing
Type of Drug: Proton Pump Inhibitor
2Uses of Pan 40
Pan 40 serves a great purpose in the treatment of the following conditions:
- GERD: Used in cases of Gastro Esophageal Reflex Disease (GERD) as it prevents backward reflux of gastric contents.
- Ulcer: Used in the treatment of Gastric Ulcer
- Duodenal Ulcer: Used to treat Duodenal Ulcer
- Esophagitis: Used in cases of Erosive esophagitis as it prevents the reflux of acidic content.
- Helicobacter Pylori Infection: Used to treat some major conditions Helicobacter Pylori Infection.
3 How does Pan 40 work?
- Main active constituent of Pan 40 is Pantoprazole.
- Pantoprazole is a proton pump inhibitor (PPI ) by nature and works by getting ionised to the active form (sulfenamide group) rapidly as soon as it is exposed to the acidic environment of the stomach
- These groups form a covalent bond with SH (Sulfhydrl) group of proton pump and blocks the proton pump it irreversibly, and eventually blocks the acid secretion.
4How to take Pan 40?
- Pan 40 is usually available in tablet form for use in adults only.
- Pan 40 tablet is usually taken by mouth with a glass of water, preferably half an hour before food as the bioavailability of Pan 40 decreases when taken with food.
- Pan 40 is advised to be taken in the morning as at that time its peak serum concentration can coincide with the maximal activity of proton pumps.
- Pan 40 tablets should be swallowed as a whole instead of crushing or chewing it.
- Complete dose as prescribed by the doctor should be taken.
- It is advisable to go through the drug leaflet available in the packet insert.
5 Common Dosage for Pan 40
- Pan 40 dosage can be decided by the doctor for every individual as per Age, Weight, Mental status, Allergic history and Health status of the patient.
- Common Adult dose of Pan 40 is single tablet a day before breakfast in the morning but the dose can also be modified to two tablets a day (evening and night) depending on the severity of the condition.
- Prolonged use for more than 14 days or dose alteration should be avoided unless stated otherwise by the doctor.
Q. What happens if I overdose on Pan 40?
Overdose of Pan 40 can cause symptoms like tremors, confusion, drowsiness and other undesired effects so the dose of the drug should be taken carefully as prescribed by the doctor and Consult the Medical Staff or the doctor immediately in case of Pan 40 overdose.
Q. What happens if I miss a dose of Pan 40?
Dose prescribed by the doctor should never be missed and if missed, it should be consumed always as soon as you remember it. But, avoid taking a double dose if it’s already time for the second dose after that as it may lead to an overdose of the drug.
Q. What happens if I eat expired Pan 40?
Expired dose of Pan 40 is very unlikely to cause any undesired effect however, the physician should be consulted in case of any sickness or symptoms after consuming an expired medicine. An expired drug is not potent enough to treat the condition and one should avoid consuming the expired drug.
Q. Onset time of Pan 40 and till when does the effect of Pan 40 stays?
- Pan 40 has a half life of 1-2 hours and its effect is seen within 30 minutes to 1 hour following oral administration and reaches its maximum activity (inhibition of acid) in 2 hours.
- It takes 3-4days for the normal return of acid secretion, once Pan 40 is withdrawn
- Complete prescribed dose of the drug should be taken before stopping the treatment.
Also Read: Pantosec Dosage | Piroxicam Dosage | Prednisolone Dosage
6When to Avoid Pan 40?
Do not Consume Pan 40 if:
- Allergy: In cases of a known history of allergy to any of its constituents.
- Bone diseases: In cases of Osteoporosis
- Liver or kidney diseases: In cases of severe kidney or liver impairment
- Electrolyte disturbance: Electrolyte disturbance especially of magnesium, potassium and calcium
7Precautions While Taking Pan 40
- Prolonged Use: Prolonged use without proper consultation should be avoided as it may lead to stomach cancer.
- Timing: The drug dose should have fixed evenly spaced time intervals between two doses.
- Proper Administration: Pan 40 tablets should never be crushed or chewed.
- Dose alteration: Dose alteration without medical consultation should be avoided.
Warnings When Taking Pan 40
- Avoid prolonged use as it can increase the risk of bone fractures.
- Avoid prolonged use as it can lead to increased chances of stomach cancer.
- Close magnesium levels of blood as prolonged use can decrease the magnesium levels.
8Side-Effects of Pan 40
The side effects associated with Pan 40 are:
- Diarrhoea (common)
- Pruritis (less common)
- Headache (less common)
- Vertigo (less common)
- Blurred vision (less common)
- Pyrexia (less common)
- Abdominal Pain (common)
- Dizziness (less common)
- Increased Chances of bone fracture (less common)
- May inhibit Vitamin B12 absorption (rare)
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions to Pan 40?
In case of any allergic signs like itching, swelling, redness and rashes, immediate medical help should be taken.
What are the effects of Pan 40 on organs?
- Pan 40 can lead to the development of stomach cancer due to prolonged use.
- Extra caution or dose modification is required in cases of hepatic or renal impairment.
- In case of any allergic reaction or overdose, immediate medical help should be taken.
9Drug Interactions to be Careful About
It is always advisable to be careful of a certain drug to drug or drug to food interactions when consuming Pan 40. Always be aware of the food items, other drugs or lab tests while consuming Pan 40. We explore these n details below.
1. Food Interactions with Pan 40
No particular food item to be avoided.
2. Medicines Interactions with Pan 40
All the potential drug interactions might not be listed here. It is always advisable that the patient must inform the physician about of all the drugs/products you use. You must notify the doctor about the herbal products that you are currently consuming. You should never alter the drug regimen without your doctor’s approval.
The common drug interactions have been noticed with the following drugs:
- Alcohol (mild)
- Ketoconazole and Digoxin, (mild)
- Warfarin, phenytoin, carbamazepin and benzodiazepines. (mild)
- Atropine (moderate)
- Clarithromycin (mild)
- Amiodarone (mild)
3. Effects of Pan 40 on Lab Tests
Pan 40 can affect the magnesium levels.
4. Pan 40’s interactions with Pre-existing Conditions/Diseases
Any Liver or kidney diseases, bone disorders.
Q. Can I have Pan 40 with alcohol?
No. As alcohol being acidic in nature can increase the risk of acidity and reflux in food pipe and also decreases the potency of the drug
Q. Any particular food item to be avoided?
No particular food item is to be avoided.
Q. Can I have Pan 40 when pregnant?
No, it is not advisable to consume the drug during pregnancy as harmful effects on foetus are seen in animal studies. The doctor should always be informed in case of pregnancy or plans of conceiving.
Q. Can I have Pan 40 when feeding a baby?
No, if you are breastfeeding the baby always notify the doctor before taking the drug as a precautionary measure.
Q. Can I drive after taking Pan 40?
Yes, as it does not the ability to drive but one should avoid driving if any dizziness or drowsiness occurs.
10Buyer’s Guide – Pan 40 Composition, Variant and Price
|Pan 40 Variants||Pan 40 Composition||Pan 40 Price|
|Pan 40 tablet||Pantoprazole Sodium 40 mg||Rs. 138 for 15 tablets|
|Pan 20 tablet||Pantoprazole Sodium 20 mg||Rs. 94 for 15 tablets|
|Pan 40 Injection||Pantoprazole Sodium 40 mg||Rs. 46.79 for 1 pack|
Buy Smart & Save Money: Pharmeasy offers | Myra Medicine Offers
11Substitutes of Pan 40
The following are alternative drugs for Pan 40:
- P2I Tablet:
- Manufactured by – Lupin Ltd
- Price – Rs. 74.4
- Athzol 40mg Tablet:
- Manufactured by – Athens Labs Ltd.
- Price – Rs. 49.50
- Oropraz 40mg tablet:
- Manufactured by – Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd.
- Price – Rs. 88
- Pantorite 40mg tablet:
- Manufactured by – MHS Pharmaceuticals
- Price – Rs. 70
Storage requirements for Pan 40 Tablets
- Store the drug protected from light, moisture and direct heat at room temperature.
- Keep at a place where it is out of reach of children
Also Read: Pantocid Price | Pantop D Price | Pantoprazole Price
12FAQs – 10 Questions Answered about Pan 40
Q. What is Pan 40?
Ans. Pan 40 is a single component drug with Pantoprazole as its active ingredient.
Pan 40 serves multiple purposes in gastric problems as it has Pantoprazole which belongs to the class of proton pump inhibitors.
It is used to treat or prevent acidity, heartburn and other gastric conditions.
Q. How effective it is/ How long does it take for Pan 40 to show results?
Ans. Pan 40 has a half life of 1-2 hours and its effect is seen within 30 minutes to 1 hour following oral administration and reaches its maximum activity (inhibition of acid) in 2 hours.
It takes 3-4 days for normal return of acid secretion, once Pan 40 is withdrawn
Q. Should Pan 40 be taken on an empty stomach?
Ans. Pan 40 should be taken empty stomach for better drug absorption.
Q. Does Pan 40 make you drowsy?
Ans. Yes, Pan 40 may cause drowsiness/ sleepiness in few cases but it varies with every individual.
Q. What should be the time gap between the consumption of 2 Pan 40 doses?
Ans. Ideal time gap of 4-6 hours should be there between two doses to avoid Pan 40 toxicity or overdose.
Q. Should I complete the whole cycle of the medicine even if cured?
Ans. Pan 40 should be consumed as prescribed by the doctor and in case of any severity of symptoms, immediate medical help or consultation should be taken.
And the doctor should be the one to decide when and how to stop the cycle of Pan 40.
Q. Does Pan 40 effect my menstrual cycle?
Ans. No, it generally doesn’t affect the menstrual cycle but one should always consult the doctor in case of pre existing menstrual problems before consuming the drug
Q. Is Pan 40 safe for children?
Ans. Pan 40 should not be administered in children without proper consultation and recommendation by the Paediatrician.
Q. Are there any symptoms that I should consider before taking Pan 40?
Ans. Any liver disorder, drug intolerance or allergic reactions are to be taken into consideration before taking Pan 40.
Q. Is Pan 40 legal in India?
Ans. Yes, it is legal in India.
Disclaimer – The information provided above is to the best of our research and knowledge. However, you are recommended to consult a physician before consuming the drug.