Table of Contents
- What is Pantocid DSR?
- Uses of Pantocid DSR
- How does Pantocid DSR work?
- How to take Pantocid DSR?
- Pantocid DSR Common Dosage
- When to Avoid Pantocid DSR?
- Precautions While Taking Pantocid DSR:
- Side-Effects of Pantocid DSR:
- Drug Interactions to be Careful About
- Buyer’s Guide – Pantocid DSR Composition, Variant and Price
- Substitutes of Pantocid DSR
- FAQs – 10 Important Questions Answered about Pantocid DSR
- Authored By –
1What is Pantocid DSR?
Pantocid DSR is mainly used to treat conditions like nausea, vomiting, acidity or heartburn. Dry mouth and flatulence are the majorly seen side effects at high doses. It should be totally avoided in case of liver or kidney problems and cases of congestive heart failure.
Pantocid DSR Composition: Pantoprazole Sodium: 40mg + Domperidone 30mg
Manufactured By: Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd.
Prescription: Not required as it is available as OTC drug.
Form: Capsules, tablets, and injections
Price: Rs 178 for 15 capsules.
Expiry/Shelf Life: 24 months from the date of manufacturing
Type of Drug: Antiemetic + Proton pump inhibitor
2Uses of Pantocid DSR
Pantocid DSR serves a great purpose in the prevention or treatment of following conditions:
- GERD: Used in cases of Gastro Esophageal Reflex Disease (GERD) to prevent backward reflux of acidic content into the esophagus.
- Motion sickness: Used in patients with motion sickness.
- Ulcer: Used in cases of patients with Peptic Ulcer
- Nausea & Vomiting: Used to prevent nausea and vomiting.
- Heartburn: Used to treat conditions like heartburn or acidity as it neutralizes the acid content
- Esophagitis: Used in cases of Erosive esophagitis as it prevents the reflux of acidic content.
- Gastroparesis: Used to treat Idiopathic or diabetic Gastroparesis (prevents stomach emptying)
- Others: Used to treat some major conditions like Zollinger Ellison syndrome and Helicobacter Pylori Infection.
3How does Pantocid DSR work?
- Main constituents of Pantocid DSR are Pantoprazole and Domperidone
- Pantoprazole is a proton pump inhibitor (PPI ) by nature and works by getting ionised to the active form (sulfenamide group) rapidly as soon as it is exposed to the acidic environment of the stomach
- These groups form a covalent bond with SH (Sulfhydrl) group of proton pump and blocks the proton pump it irreversibly, and eventually blocks the acid secretion.
- Domperidone is an antiemetic in nature and works on the dopamine receptors as it is a dopamine antagonist. It works by impelling the food down through the food pipe from the stomach to intestine at a faster rate.
- Domperidone also blocks the food from flowing back its way up through food pipe and inhibits vomiting centre in the brain, eventually treating the feeling of nausea and vomiting
4How to take Pantocid DSR?
- Pantocid DSR is usually available in capsule form for use in adults only.
- Pantocid DSR capsule is usually taken by mouth with a glass of water, preferably half an hour before food as the bioavailability of Pantocid DSR decreases when taken with food.
- Pantocid DSR is advised to be taken in morning as at that time its peak serum concentration can coincide with the maximal activity of proton pumps.
- Pantocid DSR capsules should be swallowed as a whole instead of crushing or chewing it.
- Complete dose as prescribed by the doctor should be taken.
- It is advisable to go through the drug leaflet available in the packet insert.
5Pantocid DSR Common Dosage
- The dosage of the drug is to be decided by the doctor for every individual as per the age, weight, mental status, allergic history of the patient.
- Common Adult dose of Pantocid DSR is single capsule a day before breakfast in morning but the dose can also be modified to two capsules a day (evening and night) depending on the severity of the condition.
- Prolonged use for more than 14 days or dose alteration should be avoided unless stated otherwise by the doctor.
Q. What happens if I overdose on Pantocid DSR?
Overdose of Pantocid DSR can cause symptoms like tremors, confusion, drowsiness and other undesired effects so the dose of the drug should be taken carefully as prescribed by the doctor and Consult the Medical Staff or the doctor immediately in case of Pantocid DSR overdose.
Q. What happens if I miss a dose of Pantocid DSR?
Dose prescribed by the doctor should never be missed and if missed, it should be consumed always as soon as you remember it. But, avoid taking a double dose if it’s already time for the second dose after that as it may lead to overdose of the drug.
Q. What happens if I eat expired Pantocid DSR?
Expired dose of Pantocid DSR is very unlikely to cause any undesired effect however, the physician should be consulted in case of any sickness or symptoms after consuming an expired medicine. An expired drug is not potent enough to treat the condition and one should avoid consuming expired drug.
Q. Onset time of Pantocid DSR?
Pantocid DSR has a half life of 1-2 hours and its effect is seen within 30 minutes to 1 hour following oral administration and reaches its maximum activity (inhibition of acid) in 2 hours.
Q. Till when does the effect of Pantocid DSR stays?
- It takes 3-4 days for normal return of acid secretion, once Pantocid DSR is withdrawn
- Complete prescribed dose of the drug should be taken before stopping the treatment.
Also Read: Pan 40 Dosage | Pan D Dosage
6When to Avoid Pantocid DSR?
Do not Consume Pantocid DSR if:
- Allergy: In cases of known history of allergy to any of its constituents.
- Blockage: In cases of Intestine Blockage
- Osteoporosis: In cases of bone diseases like osteoporosis.
- Heart problems: In cases of conditions like Congestive Heart Failure
- Kidney Diseases: In cases severe kidney impairment.
- Electrolyte disturbance: It should be avoided in cases of electrolyte disturbance especially of magnesium, potassium and calcium
7Precautions While Taking Pantocid DSR:
- Prolonged use: Prolonged use without proper consultation should be avoided as it may lead to stomach cancer.
- Timing: The drug dose should have fixed evenly spaced time intervals between two doses.
- Proper administration: Pantocid DSR capsules should never be crushed or chewed.
- Dose alteration: Dose alteration without medical consultation should be avoided.
Warnings When Taking Pantocid DSR
- Prolonged use: Avoid prolonged use as it can increase the risk of bone fractures and can lead to increased chances of stomach cancer.
- Monitoring: Close monitoring magnesium levels of blood as prolonged use can decrease the magnesium levels.
8Side-Effects of Pantocid DSR:
The side effects associated with Pantocid DSR are:
- Diarrhoea (less common)
- Headache (less common)
- Abdominal Pain (less common)
- Dizziness (less common)
- Dry mouth (common)
- Rashes (less common)
- Flatulence (common)
- Increased Chances of bone fracture (less common)
- May inhibit Vitamin B12 absorption (less common)
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions to Pantocid DSR?
- Allergic reaction to Pantocid DSR can occur with signs like Itching, Swelling, Redness, Rashes
- Patients with allergic reaction should seek immediate medical help.
What are the effects of Pantocid DSR on organs?
- Pantocid DSR can lead to development of stomach cancer due to prolonged use.
- Extra caution or dose modification is required in cases of hepatic or renal impairment.
9Drug Interactions to be Careful About
It is always advisable to be careful of certain drug to drug or drug to food interactions when consuming Pantocid DSR. Always be aware of the food items, other drugs or lab tests while consuming Pantocid DSR. We explore these n details below.
1. Food Interactions with Pantocid DSR
No particular food item to be avoided.
2. Medicines Interactions with Pantocid DSR
All the potential drug interactions might not be listed here. It is always advisable that the patient must inform the physician about of all the drugs/products you use. You must notify the doctor about the herbal products that you are currently consuming. You should never alter the drug regimen without your doctor’s approval.
The common drug interactions have been noticed with the following drugs:
- Alcohol (mild)
- Ketoconazole and Digoxin, (mild)
- Warfarin, phenytoin, carbamazepin and benzodiazepines. (mild)
- Atropine (moderate)
- Clarithromycin (mild)
- Amiodarone (mild)
3. Effects of Pantocid DSR on Lab Tests
Pantocid DSR can affect magnesium levels.
4. Pantocid DSR’s interactions with Pre-existing Conditions/Diseases
Any Liver or kidney diseases, heart diseases.
Q. Can I have Pantocid DSR with alcohol?
No. As alcohol being acidic in nature can increase the risk of acidity and reflux in food pipe and also decreases the potency of the drug
Q. Any particular food item to be avoided?
No particular food item is to be avoided.
Q. Can I have Pantocid DSR when pregnant?
No, it is not advisable to consume the drug during pregnancy as harmful effects on foetus are seen in animal studies. The doctor should always be informed in case of pregnancy or plans of conceiving.
Q. Can I have Pantocid DSR when feeding a baby?
No, if you are breastfeeding the baby always notify the doctor before taking the drug as a precautionary measure.
Q. Can I drive after taking Pantocid DSR?
Yes, as it does not the ability to drive but one should avoid driving if any dizziness or drowsiness occurs.
Also Read: Pantocid Side Effect | Pantop D Side Effect | Pantoprazole Side Effect
10Buyer’s Guide – Pantocid DSR Composition, Variant and Price
|Pantocid DSR Variants||Pantocid DSR Composition||Pantocid DSR Price (Rs.)|
|Pantocid 40mg tablet||Pantoprazole 40 mg||Rs. 138 for 15 tablets|
|Pantocid 20mg tablet||Pantoprazole 20 mg||Rs. 96 for 15 tablets|
|Pantocid D Capsule||Pantoprazole 20 mg Domperidone 10mg||Rs. 88 for 10 capsules|
|Pantocid IV Injection||Pantoprazole 40 mg/Injection||Rs. 46.79 for 1 pack|
|Pantocid HP Kit||Clarithromycin 500mg + Pantoprazole 40mg + Amoxicilllin 750mg||Rs. 153 for 1 pack|
|Pantocid L Capsule||Pantoprazole 40 mg + Levosulpiride 75mg||Rs. 203 for 10 capsules|
Buy & Get Minimum 20% Discount: Pharmeasy
11Substitutes of Pantocid DSR
The following are alternative drugs for Pantocid DSR:
- Pantorite D capsule:
- Manufactured by MHS Pharmaceuticals
- Price- Rs.77
- Jopan DSR capsule:
- Manufactured by Dr Johns Labs
- Price- Rs.89.5
- Ecpan DSR capsule:
- Manufactured by Icon Lifesciences
- Price- Rs.112
- L Panto D capsule:
- Manufactured by Lloyd Healthcare Pvt Ltd
- Price- Rs.89
Also Read: Pantosec Price | Piroxicam Price
Storage requirements for Pantocid DSR Tablets
- Store the drug protected from light, moisture and direct heat at room temperature.
- Keep at a place where it is out of reach of children
12FAQs – 10 Important Questions Answered about Pantocid DSR
Q. What is Pantocid DSR?
Ans. Pantocid DSR is a fixed dose combination of two drugs namely Pantoprazole and Domperidone as its active ingredient. Pantocid DSR serves multiple purposes as it belongs to the class of anti emetics as well as proton pump inhibitors. Main function of Anti-emetics is basically to treat nausea and vomiting, whereas proton pump inhibitors are used to treat acidity. It is used to treat or prevent acidity, heartburn, nausea and vomiting and also to counteract the effects of other medications when given as a conjugant drug.
Q. What are the uses of Pantocid DSR ?
Ans. Pantocid DSR serves multiple purposes as it belongs to the class of anti emetics as well as proton pump inhibitors. Main function of Anti-emetics is basically to treat nausea and vomiting, whereas proton pump inhibitors are used to treat acidity. It is used to treat or prevent acidity, heartburn, nausea and vomiting and also to counteract the effects of other medications when given as a conjugant drug.
Q. What are the side effects of Pantocid DSR ?
Ans. The most common side effects of Pantocid DSR are Diarrhoea, Headache, Abdominal Pain, Dizziness, Dry mouth.
Q. How effective is Pantocid DSR?
Ans. Pantocid DSR has a half life of 1-2 hours and its effect is seen within 30 minutes to 1 hour following oral administration and reaches its maximum activity (inhibition of acid) in 2 hours.
Q. Should Pantocid DSR be taken on an empty stomach?
Ans. Pantocid DSR should be taken empty stomach for better drug absorption.
Q. Does Pantocid DSR make you drowsy?
Ans. Yes, as it does not the ability to drive but one should avoid driving if any dizziness or drowsiness occurs
Q. What should be the time gap between the consumption of 2 Pantocid DSR doses?
Ans. Ideal time gap of 4-6 hours should be there between two doses to avoid Pantocid DSR toxicity or overdose.
Q. Should I complete the whole cycle of the medicine even if cured?
Ans. Pantocid DSR should be consumed as prescribed by the doctor and in case of any severity of symptoms, immediate medical help or consultation should be taken. And the doctor should be the one to decide when and how to stop the cycle of Pantocid DSR.
Q. Does Pantocid DSR effect my menstrual cycle?
Ans. No, it generally doesn’t affect the menstrual cycle but one should always consult the doctor in case of pre existing menstrual problems before consuming the drug
Q. Is Pantocid DSR safe for children?
Ans. Pantocid DSR should not be administered in children without proper consultation and recommendation by the Paediatrician.
Q. Are there any symptoms that I should consider before taking Pantocid DSR?
Ans. Any liver disorder, drug intolerance or allergic reactions are to be taken into consideration before taking Pantocid DSR.
Q. Is Pantocid DSR legal in India?
Ans. Yes, it is legal in India.
Similar Reads –
Disclaimer – The information provided above is to the best of our research and knowledge. However, you are recommended to consult a physician before consuming the drug.
13Authored By –