Table of Contents
- What is Pantop D?
- Uses of Pantop D
- How does Pantop D work?
- How to take Pantop D?
- Common Dosage for Pantop D
- When to Avoid Pantop D?
- Precautions While Taking Pantop D
- Side-Effects of Pantop D
- Drug Interactions to be Careful About
- Buyer’s Guide – Pantop D Composition, Variant and Price
- FAQs – 10 Questions Answered about Pantop D
- Authored by-
1What is Pantop D?
Used mainly to treat conditions like nausea, vomiting, acidity or heartburn. Dry mouth and flatulence are the majorly seen side effects at high doses. It should be totally avoided in case of liver or kidney problems and cases of congestive heart failure.
Pantop D Composition: Pantoptoprazole Sodium: 20mg + Domperidone 10mg
Manufactured By: Aristo Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd.
Prescription: Required as it belongs to schedule ‘H’ but is also available as OTC drug.
Price: Rs 89.5 for 10 capsules.
Expiry/Shelf Life: 24 months from the date of manufacturing
Type of Drug: Antiemetic + Proton pump inhibitor
2Uses of Pantop D
Pantop D serves a great purpose in the prevention or treatment of the following conditions:
- GERD: Used in cases of Gastro Esophageal Reflex Disease (GERD) to prevent backward reflux of acidic content into the esophagus.
- Motion sickness: Used in patients with motion sickness.
- Ulcer: Used in cases of patients with Peptic Ulcer
- Nausea & Vomiting: Used to prevent nausea and vomiting.
- Heartburn: Used to treat conditions like heartburn or acidity as it neutralizes the acid content
- Esophagitis: Used in cases of Erosive esophagitis as it prevents the reflux of acidic content.
- Gastroparesis: Used to treat Idiopathic or diabetic Gastroparesis (prevents stomach emptying)
- Others: Used to treat some major conditions like Zollinger Ellison syndrome and Helicobacter Pylori Infection.
3How does Pantop D work?
- Main constituents of Pantop D are Pantoptoprazole and Domperidone
- Pantoptoprazole is a proton pump inhibitor (PPI ) by nature and works by getting ionized to the active form (sulfenamide group) rapidly as soon as it is exposed to the acidic environment of the stomach
- These groups form a covalent bond with SH (Sulfhydrl) group of proton pump and blocks the proton pump it irreversibly, and eventually blocks the acid secretion.
- Domperidone is an antiemetic in nature and works on the dopamine receptors as it is a dopamine antagonist. It works by impelling the food down through the food pipe from the stomach to intestine at a faster rate.
- Domperidone also blocks the food from flowing back its way up through food pipe and inhibits vomiting center in the brain, eventually treating the feeling of nausea and vomiting
4How to take Pantop D?
- Pantop D is usually available in capsule form for use in adults only.
- Pantop D capsule is usually taken by mouth with a glass of water, preferably half an hour before food as the bioavailability of Pantop D decreases when taken with food.
- Pantop D is advised to be taken in the morning as at that time its peak serum concentration can coincide with the maximal activity of proton pumps.
- Pantop D capsules should be swallowed as a whole instead of crushing or chewing it.
- Complete dose as prescribed by the doctor should be taken.
- It is advisable to go through the drug leaflet available in the packet insert.
5 Common Dosage for Pantop D
- Pantop D dosage can be decided by the doctor for every individual as per Age, Weight, Mental status, Allergic history and Health status of the patient.
- The common Adult dose of Pantop D is single capsule a day before breakfast in the morning but the dose can also be modified to two capsules a day (evening and night) depending on the severity of the condition.
- Prolonged use for more than 14 days or dose alteration should be avoided unless stated otherwise by the doctor.
Q. What happens if I overdose on Pantop D?
An overdose of Pantop D can cause symptoms like tremors, confusion, drowsiness, and other undesired effects so the dose of the drug should be taken carefully as prescribed by the doctor and Consult the Medical Staff or the doctor immediately in case of Pantop D overdose.
Q. What happens if I miss a dose of Pantop D?
The dose prescribed by the doctor should never be missed and if missed, it should be consumed always as soon as you remember it. But, avoid taking a double dose if it’s already time for the second dose after that as it may lead to an overdose of the drug.
Q. What happens if I eat expired Pantop D?
The expired dose of Pantop D is very unlikely to cause any undesired effect however, the physician should be consulted in case of any sickness or symptoms after consuming an expired medicine. An expired drug is not potent enough to treat the condition and one should avoid consuming the expired drug.
Q. Onset time of Pantop D and till when does the effect of Pantop D stay?
- Pantop D has a half-life of 1-2 hours and its effect is seen within 30 minutes to 1 hour following oral administration and reaches its maximum activity (inhibition of acid) in 2 hours.
- It takes 3-4days for the normal return of acid secretion, once Pantop D is withdrawn
- The complete prescribed dose of the drug should be taken before stopping the treatment.
6When to Avoid Pantop D?
Do not Consume Pantop D if:
- Allergy: In cases of the known history of allergy to any of its constituents.
- Blockage: In cases of Intestine Blockage
- Osteoporosis: In cases of bone diseases like osteoporosis.
- Heart problems: In cases of conditions like Congestive Heart Failure
- Kidney Diseases: In cases severe kidney impairment.
- Electrolyte disturbance: It should be avoided in cases of electrolyte disturbance especially of magnesium, potassium, and calcium
7Precautions While Taking Pantop D
- Prolonged use: Prolonged use without proper consultation should be avoided as it may lead to stomach cancer.
- Timing: The drug dose should have fixed evenly spaced time intervals between two doses.
- Proper administration: Pantop D capsules should never be crushed or chewed.
- Dose alteration: Dose alteration without medical consultation should be avoided.
Warnings When Taking Pantop D
- Prolonged use: Avoid prolonged use as it can increase the risk of bone fractures and can lead to increased chances of stomach cancer.
- Monitoring: Close monitoring magnesium levels of blood as prolonged use can decrease the magnesium levels.
8Side-Effects of Pantop D
The side effects associated with Pantop D are:
- Diarrhoea (Less common)
- Headache (Less common)
- Abdominal Pain (Less common)
- Dizziness (Less common)
- Dry mouth (common)
- Rashes (Less common)
- Flatulence (common)
- Increased Chances of bone fracture (Less common)
- May inhibit Vitamin B12 absorption (Less common)
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions to Pantop D?
- Allergic reaction to Pantop D can occur with signs like Itching, Swelling, Redness, Rashes
- Patients with allergic reaction should seek immediate medical help.
What are the effects of Pantop D on organs?
- Pantop D can lead to the development of stomach cancer due to prolonged use.
- Extra caution or dose modification is required in cases of hepatic or renal impairment.
9Drug Interactions to be Careful About
It is always advisable to be careful of a certain drug to drug or drug to food interactions when consuming Pantop D. Always be aware of the food items, other drugs or lab tests while consuming Pantop D. We explore these n details below.
1. Food Interactions with Pantop D
No particular food item to be avoided.
2. Medicines Interactions with Pantop D
All the potential drug interactions might not be listed here. It is always advisable that the patient must inform the physician about of all the drugs/products you use. You must notify the doctor about the herbal products that you are currently consuming. You should never alter the drug regimen without your doctor’s approval.
The common drug interactions have been noticed with the following drugs:
- Alcohol (mild)
- Ketoconazole and Digoxin, (mild)
- Warfarin, phenytoin, carbamazepin and benzodiazepines. (mild)
- Atropine (moderate)
- Clarithromycin (mild)
- Amiodarone (mild)
3. Effects of Pantop D on Lab Tests
Pantop D can affect magnesium levels.
4. Pantop D’s interactions with Pre-existing Conditions/Diseases
Any Liver or kidney diseases, heart diseases.
Q. Can I have Pantop D with alcohol?
No. As alcohol being acidic in nature can increase the risk of acidity and reflux in food pipe and also decreases the potency of the drug
Q. Any particular food item to be avoided?
No particular food item is to be avoided.
Q. Can I have Pantop D when pregnant?
No, it is not advisable to consume the drug during pregnancy as harmful effects on foetus are seen in animal studies. The doctor should always be informed in case of pregnancy or plans of conceiving.
Q. Can I have Pantop D when feeding a baby?
No, if you are breastfeeding the baby always notify the doctor before taking the drug as a precautionary measure.
Q. Can I drive after taking Pantop D?
Yes, as it does not the ability to drive but one should avoid driving if any dizziness or drowsiness occurs.
Also Read: Pantosec Side Effect | Piroxicam Side Effect | Prednisolone Side Effect
10 Buyer’s Guide – Pantop D Composition, Variant and Price
|Pantop D Variants||Pantop D Composition||Pantop D Price|
|Pantop 40 mg tablet||Pantoptoprazole Sodium 40 mg||Rs. 120 for 15 tablets|
|Pantop M Capsule||Pantoptoprazole 40 mg + Mosapride 15mg||Rs. 106 for 10 capsules|
|Pantop 40mg Injection||Pantoptoprazole 40 mg/Inj||Rs. 46.80 for 1 pack.|
|Pantop DSR Capsule||Pantoprazole40mg + Domperidone 30mg||Rs. 115.00 for 10 Capsules|
Buy & Get Minimum 20% Discount: Saveonmedicals | Yscart
Substitutes of Pantop D
The following are alternative drugs for Pantop D:
- Pantocid D Capsule:
- Manufactured by – Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd.
- Price – Rs. 66
- Calmgut capsule:
- Manufactured by – Life Medicare
- Price – Rs. 26.12
- Ulpan D Tablet:
- Manufactured by – Corona Remedies Pvt Ltd
- Price – Rs. 77.19
- Pantin RD Tablet:
- Manufactured by – Genix Pharma
- Price – Rs. 39.50
Storage requirements for Pantop D
- Store the drug protected from light, moisture and direct heat at room temperature.
- Keep at a place where it is out of reach of children
Also Read: Pantocid Price | Pantoprazole Price
11FAQs – 10 Questions Answered about Pantop D
Q. What is Pantop D?
Ans. Pantop D is a fixed-dose combination of two drugs namely Pantoptoprazole and Domperidone as its active ingredient. Pantop D serves multiple purposes as it belongs to the class of anti emetics as well as proton pump inhibitors.
The main function of Anti-emetics is basically to treat nausea and vomiting, whereas proton pump inhibitors are used to treat acidity. It is used to treat or prevent acidity, heartburn, nausea, and vomiting and also to counteract the effects of other medications when given as a conjugant drug.
Q. How effective it is/ How long does it take for Pantop D to show results?
Ans. Pantop D has a half-life of 1-2 hours and its effect is seen within 30 minutes to 1 hour following oral administration and reaches its maximum activity (inhibition of acid) in 2 hours.
Q. Should Pantop D be taken on an empty stomach?
Ans. Pantop D should be taken empty stomach for better drug absorption.
Q. Does Pantop D make you drowsy?
Ans. Yes, as it does not the ability to drive but one should avoid driving if any dizziness or drowsiness occurs
Q. What should be the time gap between the consumption of 2 Pantop D doses?
Ans. An ideal time gap of 4-6 hours should be there between two doses to avoid Pantop D toxicity or overdose.
Q. Should I complete the whole cycle of the medicine even if cured?
Ans. Pantop D should be consumed as prescribed by the doctor and in case of any severity of symptoms, immediate medical help or consultation should be taken.
And the doctor should be the one to decide when and how to stop the cycle of Pantop D.
Q. Does Pantop D effect my menstrual cycle?
Ans. No, it generally doesn’t affect the menstrual cycle but one should always consult the doctor in case of pre-existing menstrual problems before consuming the drug
Q. Is Pantop D safe for children?
Ans. Pantop D should not be administered in children without proper consultation and recommendation by the Paediatrician.
Q. Are there any symptoms that I should consider before taking Pantop D?
Ans. Any liver disorder, drug intolerance or allergic reactions are to be taken into consideration before taking Pantop D.
Q. Is Pantop D legal in India?
Ans. Yes, it is legal in India.
Disclaimer – The information provided above is to the best of our research and knowledge. However, you are recommended to consult a physician before consuming the drug.