Table of Contents
- 1 What is Paroxetine?
- 2 Uses of Paroxetine
- 3 How Does Paroxetine Work?
- 4 Paroxetine Price in India
- 5 How to Take Paroxetine?
- 6 Common Dosage for Paroxetine
- 7 Precautions – When to Avoid Paroxetine?
- 8 Side-Effects of Paroxetine
- 9 Effects of Paroxetine on Organs
- 10 Drug Interactions to be Careful About
- 11 Effects/Results after Consuming Paroxetine
- 12 Storage Requirements about Paroxetine Oral
- 13 Pro Tips When Taking Paroxetine
- 14 FAQs – Things to Know About Paroxetine
- 15 Is Paroxetine Oral addictive?
- 16 Can I have Paroxetine with alcohol?
- 17 Any particular food item to be avoided?
- 18 Can I have Paroxetine Oral when pregnant?
- 19 Can I have Paroxetine when feeding a baby?
- 20 Can I drive after taking Paroxetine?
- 21 What happens if I overdose on Paroxetine Oral?
- 22 What happens if I eat expired Paroxetine?
- 23 What happens if I miss a dose of Paroxetine?
- 24 When Was Paroxetine Oral Made?
What is Paroxetine?
Paroxetine is sold under the brand name Paxil and Seroxat. It is an atypical anti-depressant and selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) drug. Paroxetine is used as a common medication for disorders such as depressive disorder and anxiety disorder.
Manufactured By – GlaxoSmithKline (GSK)
Buy & Get Minimum 30% Discount: Pharmeasy Coupons | Netmeds Offers Today
Uses of Paroxetine
- Paroxetine Oral is used to treat an obsessive disorder, panic disorder, premenstrual disorder.
- It is used in anxiety disorders of social and generalized anxiety.
- Paroxetine is also used to treat certain conditions of menopause such as hot flashes and night sweats.
How Does Paroxetine Work?
Serotonin is a neurotransmitter which is released by the nerves of the brain and its imbalance may cause depression. This drug works by blocking the reuptake of this neurotransmitter when it is released by the nerve cells.
Paroxetine Price in India
|Paroxetine (Volume of 10)||Rs 85.00|
Also Read: Nifedipine Price | Nortriptyline Price | Oxycodone Price
How to Take Paroxetine?
- Swallow the tablet wholly.
- Do not crush, chew or break it.
- Paroxetine Oral can be taken with or without food.
- Take this drug during the bedtime as it causes sleepiness.
Common Dosage for Paroxetine
- The dosage is different for different conditions. So it is safe to consult the doctor before taking the dosage.
- For depression – 20 mg per day and it may gradually be increased to up to 50mg per day by the physician.
- Anxiety – 20 mg per day and may increase to up to 60 mg per day.
- Panic – 10 mg per day and may increase to up to 60 mg per day.
- Premenstrual – 12.5mg per day and may increase to up to 25mg per day.
- Obsessive – 20 mg per day and can be gradually increased to up to 60 mg.
- Post-traumatic stress – 20 mg per day and may increase to up to 50 mg.
Also read about other medicine's Dosage: Percocet Dosage
Precautions – When to Avoid Paroxetine?
While taking Paroxetine Oral you should follow the following steps:
- Don’t delay or miss a scheduled meal or snack
- Don’t take Paroxetine along with other certain medications.
- Avoid consuming alcohol for initial days while taking this drug.
- Avoid Paroxetine, if you feel you have a sore throat, fever and chills, soreness in the mouth or back pain, etc.
Side-Effects of Paroxetine
Some common side effects of Paroxetine Oral are:
- Dry mouth
- Weight gain
- Increased appetite
- Weird dreams
- Stiffness in muscles
- Blurred vision
- Aggressive behaviour
Effects of Paroxetine on Organs
Patients who have liver problems will have more damaging effects on the liver while consuming Paroxetine Oral. Sometimes, it may cause hepatic damage.
Drug Interactions to be Careful About
Drugs which cause serious effects while interacting with Paroxetine Oral are:
- Methylene blue,
- Sodium Oxybate,
- Tedizolid, etc.
Effects/Results after Consuming Paroxetine
Paroxetine Oral will show its effect within 1 to 2 weeks for mood or mental stress but you should follow this medication for 6 to 8 weeks for depression.
Storage Requirements about Paroxetine Oral
Paroxetine can be stored in a closed container at room temperature away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
Pro Tips When Taking Paroxetine
- Paroxetine Oral should be taken in the prescribed dosage and one must only increase the dosage when the physician prescribes it.
- Do not abruptly stop taking this drug as it may cause negative effects on the body.
- Avoid alcohol and certain recommended foods while taking Paroxetine.
FAQs – Things to Know About Paroxetine
Is Paroxetine Oral addictive?
Can I have Paroxetine with alcohol?
No. Having Paroxetine with alcohol will cause dizziness, drowsiness and difficulty in concentration.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
Avoid food items which are recommended by your doctor.
Can I have Paroxetine Oral when pregnant?
No. Paroxetine is not recommended during pregnancy as it causes defects in the foetus’ heart. Although you can consult your doctor.
Can I have Paroxetine when feeding a baby?
Taking Paroxetine Oral while breastfeeding has no effects on infants.
Can I drive after taking Paroxetine?
You should avoid driving if you feel drowsy.
What happens if I overdose on Paroxetine Oral?
An overdose of Paroxetine will result in a fatal condition.
What happens if I eat expired Paroxetine?
It will not be effective but take advice from your doctor immediately.
What happens if I miss a dose of Paroxetine?
If you miss a dose of Paroxetine Oral take it as soon as you remember it within the next 12 hours. If you don’t, then just go back to your regular dosage.
When Was Paroxetine Oral Made?
Paroxetine was made in the year 1992.