Table of Contents
What is Peanut?
Peanut aka groundnut is a high oil content legume crop. The seeds of the crop are the main edible components. Peanut (Arachis hypogaea) mainly grows in tropics and subtropics.
Peanut Nutritional Facts
Peanuts are a powerhouse of nutrition. They are a rich source of protein, fat and various essential vitamins and minerals.
- Fats: Peanuts are predominantly composed of fats. These are mono and polyunsaturated fats such as Oleic Acid and Linoleic Acid.
- Proteins: Peanuts are a rich source of plant-based protein. The most abundant proteins are arachin and conarachin. However, some people are highly allergic to these proteins.
- Vitamins & Minerals: Peanuts contain biotin, copper, niacin, folate, manganese, vitamin E, magnesium and other nutrients
- Other Compounds: p-Coumaric acid, Resveratrol, isoflavones, phytic acid, phytosterols
Besides the above nutrients, peanuts also contain carbohydrates and fiber.
Also Read: Peanuts Nutrition
Weight Loss Benefits of Peanuts
Today, obesity plagues many nations especially the developed countries like the U.S.
The efficacy of peanuts with regards to weight management has been widely studied.
Peanuts are primarily regarded as oil seeds. They are high in fat and calories. However, studies have shown that consumption of peanuts can actually aid in weight loss and reduce obesity risks.
Studies On Weight-loss Efficacy of Peanuts
- If you eat peanuts in moderate amounts, they do not amount to weight gain. This claim has been supported by a 2008 review published in “The Journal of Nutrition”.
- Another 2010 study published in “Asia Pacific Journal of Clinical Nutrition” states that weight loss diets which include nuts lead to more weight loss than the ones which exclude nuts.
- A study claimed that when 500 kcal of peanuts were added to the regular diet of healthy individuals for about two months, they did not gain as much weight as anticipated.
Factors which make peanuts a weight loss food
- Peanuts promote satiety which makes one feel fuller for longer duration. This results in reduced food intake. People also consume less of other foods after consuming peanuts.
- Peanuts are fiber rich foods. So, when entire peanuts are not chewed properly, they tend to pass through the digestive tract without being absorbed.
- Peanuts enhance energy outlay as they are rich in proteins and monounsaturated fats
- Peanuts are rich in insoluble dietary fiber which is connected with lowered risk of obesity
Read all Benefits of Peanuts
Weight-Loss Drawbacks of Peanuts
Though peanuts aid in weight loss, but they are also high in calories. Overindulgence in peanuts can negate weight loss and even cause weight gain. Also, salted peanuts should be avoided as they are high in sodium. Increased sodium may lead to high blood pressure and heart disease. Hence it is advisable to eat unsalted or raw peanuts in moderation.
Recommended Dosage for Weight Loss
- Peanuts as part of weight loss diet is corelated with calorie needs in a weight loss program.
- According to 2010 Dietary Guidelines for Americans, a 1200 calories daily diet can be supported with 4 teaspoons of oil.
- A 1600 calorie daily diet requires about 5 teaspoons of oils.
- As per ChooseMyPlate.gov, 1 oz of dry roasted peanuts correlates to 3 teaspoons from the oils food group.
8 Important Questions About Peanuts Answered
Do Peanuts make you lose weight?
Peanuts are considered to be very high in calories, however, they are rich in fibre that help you feel full for longer periods. If you eat Peanuts in appropriate quantities, then it may help you in losing weight.
Is Peanut good for diet and weight loss?
Yes, Peanuts are good for diet and weight loss. Many diet plans contain Peanut butter as a supplement to reduce weight.
Do Peanuts make you gain weight?
Peanuts are high in calories, if you consume a high number of Peanuts in one go, then it may lead to weight gain.
How many Peanuts should you eat in a day?
You may consume 1 or 2 ounces of Peanuts in a day which can help you control cholesterol levels and prevent heart diseases.
Can Peanut butter make you fat?
Consuming Peanut butter in moderate amounts along with regular exercising makes you healthy and strong. However, if you consume large quantities of Peanut butter, then it may make you fat.
Are roasted Peanuts fattening?
Yes, roasted Peanuts are fattening if consumed in large amounts.
Are unsalted Peanuts healthy?
Yes, unsalted Peanuts are very healthy for human body. Peanuts are rich in proteins, vitamins, minerals and other compounds that have many health benefits.
Are Peanuts fattening?
Peanuts are a healthy snack that is rich in nutrients like Vitamin E, calcium, fibre, unsaturated fats and antioxidants. If you consume Peanuts in large numbers, then you may become fat.
Where To Buy Peanuts?
Buy peanuts at discounted prices and save money using: