Table of Contents
- What is Pirfenex?
- Uses of Pirfenex
- How does Pirfenex work?
- How to Take Pirfenex?
- Common Dosage for Pirfenex
- When to Avoid Pirfenex?
- Precautions While Taking Pirfenex
- Side-Effects of pirfenex
- Drug Interactions to be Careful About
- Pirfenex Composition, Variant and Price – Buyer’s Guide
- Substitutes of Pirfenex
- FAQs – 14 Important Questions Answered about pirfenex
1What is Pirfenex?
Pirfenex, also called pirfenidone, is the first drug approved for the treatment of a respiratory disorder known as IPF (idiopathic pulmonary Fibrosis). At the moment, it is the only option present in terms of medication which can be used to treat this disorder. IPF can scar your lungs and reduce your breathing efficiency. Pirfenex does not necessarily cause major Side Effects. However, some common side effects like dizziness, nausea, stomach upset, heartburn, etc can be present. One should stop taking the medication if there is any evidence of allergic reactions.
To make sure pirfenidone or pirfenex is safe for you, be sure to tell your doctor if you have any one of the following:
- liver disease;
- kidney disease;
- In case you smoke.
Please note that the use of pirfenidone or pirfenex has shown evidence of carcinogenic potential in animal studies. Also, there is no evidence in animal studies showing mutagenicity or fertility impairment. However, Pirfenidone of pirfenex should only be prescribed under the supervision of a doctor who is familiar with the treatment of idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis.
Pirfenex Composition – pirfenidone
Manufactured By – CIPLA
Prescription – prescription by the doctor may be required
Form – tablet (most commonly consumed form)
Price – 210 rupees only for a pack of 10 tablets
Expiry/Shelf Life – 2 years
Type of Drug – Anti fibrotic agent.
2Uses of Pirfenex
Pirfenex is used in the treatment of Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis. IPF is a disease which is characterized by chronic lung impairment and progressive decline in the functions of the respiratory system with a gradual increase in time. This disease can cause scarring of the lungs and cause it to lose elasticity resulting in shortness of breath.
IPF: idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis can gradually become worse if not medically attended soon or it can prove to be fatal afterward.
3 How does Pirfenex work?
- The mechanism of action of pirfenex is not completely understood as of yet.
- However, it is only medication present in the market which can treat IPF.
- Pirfenex is known to show antifibrotic and anti-inflammatory effects.
- Pirfenex can inhibit collagen synthesis inside the respiratory system.
4 How to Take Pirfenex?
- Pirfenex has to be taken with food at the same time each day. It is usually taken 3 times a day as directed by the physician.
- The dosage may change over the first 15 days of the treatment. For the first week, the patient has to take only one tablet or capsule at a time.
- Pirfenex is most commonly available in oral tablets dosage form.
5 Common Dosage for Pirfenex
For adults: capsule ( 267mg)
- Take with food the same time each day
- Days 1-7: 267 mg – 1 capsule
- Days 8-14: 534 mg (2 capsules)
- Day 15 and so on: 801 mg (3 capsules)
For children :
Safety and efficacy of Pirfenex have not been established in patients younger than 18 years.
Q. What happens if I overdose on pirfenex?
Ans. Inadequate information available is available regarding the overdose of pirfenex. In clinical trials, where Multiple doses of pirfenidone up to a dose of 4806 mg/day were administered as six 267 mg capsules three times daily to healthy adult volunteers over a 12-day dose escalation period. Adverse reactions were mild, transient, and consistent with the most frequently reported adverse reactions for pirfenidone.
In the event of a suspected overdose, supportive medical care should be provided including monitoring of vital signs and close observation of the clinical status of the patient.
Q. What happens if I miss a dose of pirfenex?
Ans. If one misses a dose of pirfenex, he or she should take it as soon as possible. However, if the time for the next dose already comes, that particular dose should be skipped and the regular dosing regimen should be followed as directed by the doctor or physician.
Q. What happens if I eat expired pirfenex?
Ans. Taking a single dose of expired pirfenex may not result in any kind of serious adverse effects in patients. However, it is strictly advised not to take any kind of expired medication.
Q. What is the onset time of pirfenex?
Ans. Generally, pirfenex has to be taken over a long period of time so that it can show a gradual effect in the treatment of idiopathic pulmonary Fibrosis, be it moderate or mild. However, the particular onset of action time of pirfenex has not been determined yet.
Q. Till When Does the Effect of pirfenex Stay?
Ans. The half-life of the medicine is 2 to 2.5 hours. However, the peak concentration of pirfenex in the blood can be observed after 0.5 hours after oral administration.
6 When to Avoid Pirfenex?
- Pirfenex should be avoided by nursing mothers are pregnant ladies as the effect of the drug is not known in both cases.
- If you have hepatic impairment.
- if you have renal impairment.
7Precautions While Taking Pirfenex
a few things should be kept in mind while taking pirfenex-
- please inform your doctor or pharmacist, in case you have an allergic reaction or History of allergic reactions.
- Before taking pirfenex, please inform your doctor about your medical history regarding vital organs like liver, kidney excetra.
- Avoid the intake of alcohol or marijuana.
- This medicine may cause dizziness and photosensitivity.
Warnings When Taking pirfenex
It is strictly advised not to smoke a cigarette during the treatment of IPF.
8Side-Effects of pirfenex
Side Effects associated with Pirfenex used for different treatments are:
- Diarrhea(less Common)
- nausea(less Common)
- heartburn or indigestion(Common)
- stomach discomfort, upset, or pain(less Common)
- vomiting(less Common)
- Acid or sour stomach(Common)
- body aches or pain(Common)
- change in taste(Common)
- redness or other discoloration of the skin(less Common)
- ear congestion(Common)
- increased sensitivity of the skin to sunlight(Common)
- joint or muscle pain(Common)
- lack or loss of strength(Common)
- loss of appetite(Common)
- pain or tenderness around the eyes and cheekbones(Common)
- itching or skin rash(less Common)
- stuffy or runny nose(Common)
- trouble sleeping(Common)
- severe sunburn(less Common)
- unusual tiredness or weakness(Common)
- weight loss(Common)
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions to pirfenex?
The use of pirfenex May causes allergy to light or photosensitivity. The use of sunscreen is recommended otherwise it can cause severe sunburns on the skin.
What are the effects of pirfenex on organs?
In rare cases pirfenex may cause toxicity to the liver and kidney, this is more commonly seen in patients with hepatic or renal disorders.
The real function of pirfenex is to work on the lungs and treat The Scars present on it. Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis is a disease which may be caused by inhaling particulate matter which can cause inflammation in the lung Chambers. Pirfenex has an anti-inflammatory effect on such scars.
9Drug Interactions to be Careful About
One needs to be careful of certain drug interactions when consuming <Medicine Name>. These may span from certain food items to other medicines to some tests which should not be taken right after consuming <Medicine Name>. We explore these in detail below. The terms “severe” and “mild” explain the severity of the effect of the interaction.
1. Food Interactions with pirfenex
Patients should avoid drinking grape juice as it can interfere with the drug action. it may increase blood levels of the medication and lead to more side effects. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs.
2. Medicines Interactions with pirfenex
Medications which are contraindicated –
3. Effects of pirfenex on Lab Tests
No scientific data represents long term or short term effect of pirfenex on lab tests however it will show in plasma concentrations and in blood.
4. Pirfenex’s interactions with Pre-existing Conditions/Diseases –
- active allergies may react and cause problems.
- Please inform the doctor if you have dialysis performed
- In very rare cases, pirfenex may cause hepatic or renal impairment.
Q. Can I have pirfenex with alcohol?
Ans. It is advised not to take pirfenex with alcohol.
Q. Any particular food item to be avoided?
Ans. Avoid grapefruit juice while taking pirfenex.
Q. Can I have pirfenex when pregnant?
Ans. Pirfenex is not advisory for pregnant ladies. The effect of pirfenex on a growing foetus is unknown but it’s better not to take the risk.
Q. Can I have pirfenex when feeding a baby?
Ans. In rats, a clinical study was performed where it shows pirfenex reached into the milk of the mother rat while feeding the babies. However such effects in humankind are not exactly known, but it is advised not to take pirfenex while nursing a baby.
Q. Can I drive after taking pirfenex?
Ans. This medicine can make you feel a little dizzy. It does not interfere with driving skills.
10 Pirfenex Composition, Variant and Price – Buyer’s Guide
|Pirfenex Variants||Pirfenex Composition||Pirfenex Price|
|Pirfenex Tablet||Pirfenidone (200mg)||Rs. 210|
Buy Smart & Save Money: Pharmeasy Coupons | Myra Medicine Coupons
11Substitutes of Pirfenex
The medicinal substitute of pirfenex are as follows:
- Fibrodone 200Mg Tablet
- Manufactured by: Lupin Ltd
- Price – Rs. 212.15
- Spiropirf 200Mg Tablet
- Manufactured by: Koye Pharmaceuticals Pvt ltd
- Price – Rs. 185
- Pirfetab 200Mg Tablet
- Manufactured by: Zydus Cadila
- Rs. 210
- Fiboresp 200Mg Tablet
- Manufactured by: Glenmark Pharmaceuticals Ltd
- Price – Rs. 199
Storage requirements for pirfenex
- store away from heat and moisture in airtight and the dry container sealed.
- store in room temperature and away from the reach of children.
- do not accept if the seal is broken while buying.
12FAQs – 14 Important Questions Answered about pirfenex
Q. What is Pirfenex?
Ans. pirfenex is antifibrotic medication which belongs to a class of drug called pyridones. It is an oral medication which helps in fighting inflammation present in the lungs. The exact mechanism of action of pirfenex might be unknown.
Q. What are the uses of Pirfenex?
Ans. pirfenex is primarily used in the treatment of Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis, a pneumatic disease which causes the lungs to lose elasticity and results in shortness of breath. It might occur due to the scarring of the lungs for unknown reasons. However, it is generally noticed in older adults.
Q. What are the side effects of Pirfenex?
Ans. Pirfenex may cause Side Effects like dizziness, nausea, vomiting, headache, weakness, etc. It can also cause sensitivity to sunlight resulting in minor forms of skin rashes and irritations. However, there may not be any extreme Side Effects present.
Q. How effective is Pirfenex?
Ans. Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis has an ominous prognosis and there are virtually no effective therapies. It has been suggested that pirfenidone, an antifibrotic agent, could change its course.
It was concluded that pirfenidone decreases disease progression and mortality in idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. Although it is associated with frequent gastrointestinal and cutaneous adverse effects, these are generally not severe.
Q. How long does it take for Pirfenex to show results?
Ans. It is not exactly known how long it takes for pirfenex to show results for IPF.
Q. Should pirfenex be taken on an empty stomach?
this medicine should not be taken in an empty stomach. Please administer it with food at the same time every day as directed by your physician. Best results will be provided if it is taken in combination with food.
Q. Does pirfenex make you drowsy?
Ans. Pirfenex may cause a little bit of dizziness but it is only temporary. It may cause a little bit of drowsiness but it can fade away quickly. Drowsiness can be avoided if it is administered with food.
Q. What should be the time gap between the intake of 2 pirfenex tablets?
Ans. Take pirfenex three times per day as directed by your physician with food. Repeat the dosage the same time next day. The gap between the intake of the medicines should be the gap present between in two of your meals.
Q. Should I complete the whole cycle of the medicine even if cured?
Ans. Pirfenex is used for the treatment of IPF. At the moment, There’s currently no cure for idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF). The main aim of treatment is to relieve the symptoms as much as possible and slow down its progression.
Q. Does pirfenex effect my menstrual cycle?
Ans. There is no evidence of pirfenex affecting the menstrual cycle in women. However, if you have underlying existing conditions present please consult with your doctor.
Q. Is pirfenex safe for children?
Ans. The effect of pirfenex is a paediatric medication is not really known. Studies are yet to be carried out in this field.
Q. Are there any symptoms that I should consider before taking pirfenex?
Ans. The symptoms to consider while taking pirfenex are-
- the patients should seek the help of a medical professional right away if one of the following symptoms occur-
- dark coloured urination
- yellowing skin and Eyes
- extreme abdominal cramps
- persistent vomiting and loss of appetite
Q. Is pirfenex legal in India?
Ans. Yes, it is absolutely legal to take pirfenex in India but only with the help of a prescription from the physician.
Q. Is there a generic variant for pirfenex?
Ans. Pirfenex is moderately priced at 220 rupees only. Pirfenex may be substituted by the following medicines: Fibrodone, Spiropirf, Pirfetab, Fiboresp
Disclaimer – The information provided above is to the best of our research and knowledge. However, you are recommended to consult a physician before consuming the drug.